Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three General Discussion

The acting is Oscar worthy.

I don't know if I'd go that far but to be a successful grifter, you, admittedly, are helped if you have some acting chops and can keep a straight face while spewing your BS. The show (and the Brown's act) wouldn't play if they couldn't sell the script.

• Love 1

I would wager that if they do cover the court stuff (and I guess from rumors around the 'net is that they will), they will spin it to say something like, "The evil gubmit is taking away our land!  We won't stand for that!  We will fight them tooth (what few we still have) and nail!"

Of course I will still be watching this thing, even though it's full o' BS.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a real question for anyone who may have the real answer; have the Browns actually ever lived in the bush other than for a week or two of camping? I mean through choice and wanting to be on their own, away from the confines of society and not just hiding from the sheriff or whomever.

Seriously, anyone know? Their efforts seem pretty lameass for people who claim that this is the life they love. If I were a cynical person I'd maybe suspect that scoring a TV show about this quasi renegade family living off the land is just another and fairly lucrative scam.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 2
(edited)

Okay, a couple of things struck me about the new ep; first that several family members have upgraded their outer wear with what looks to be fairly high end fur or fur lined coats. Billy in what appeared to be a new shearling (though I don't have HD so it might, possibly have been lined with faux fur, though that seems unlikely) and one of the daughters had a coat I wouldn't mind wearing myself, if I wore fur.

Then Ami's surgery--I had multiple extractions  when I was about 12 in preparation for braces--I had big teeth and a small jaw, they simply didn't fit in my mouth. It wasn't a good look. I know a bit about how this is or was done as I also had 12 teeth out, though 1/2 were baby teeth. It wasn't done in one shot, but in two separate operations.Yes, as an out patient and you do feel like crap for a while. I found it odd that she simply walked out of the office after 12 seriously abscessed teeth were removed in one long shot. I would think that with something like that, with a patient who was in severe discomfort and who'd end up in a hotel or some such when she was released, that they would have arrangements for her to stay under some kind of observation at least overnight. This is an older woman who'd been in pain and suffering for a while. No, I'm no medical person but it seemed odd that she just hobbled out supported by family.

Oh yeah, and at the end of the show when Mom and Billy walk into the house to the surprise of the new stove, commenting on how warm it was in the cabin--you could see Billy's breath as he spoke.

I'm willing to believe that the boys (or their paid minions) finished the job siding that whatever it was.

And shall we call bullshit on not having the $ to pay for teeth and a wood stove? The Browns do, after all, get reasonably well paid to struggle in the bush with a camera crew following them and a production team just a scootch down river.

I'm sure you clever other watchers saw lots more...

Edited by Beden
  • Love 5
(edited)

Beden - Sorry about the pain you had to go through with the 12 teeeth being pulled. Years ago I had four impacted wisdom teeth pulled and felt like crap for a week and needed pain meds the whole time. I missed a whole week of work and spent half the time with ice bags on both sides of my face.  So, yeah, I doubt Ami just got back on the boat and went home. 

One of my best friends had ONE tooth that became infected. They could not do any dental work until the infection was cleared up with antibiotics. I doubt Ami had 12 severely infected teeth pulled without first taking antibiotics. They said she had last taken them 4 months previously for 6 infected teeth.  They can't pull an infected tooth because the infections can spread into the bone/sinus and or blood. It looked like they all stayed in a motel from what I could tell, but I'm not sure.  I guess they used the illegally obtained state money to pay for the dental work. Maybe the whole family can use that disco money for dental work. The oldest girl's teeth are a mess. She is already missing teeth and she's only 20. 

Last year I took an Alaskan Cruise(after saving for 3 years) and  the cruise ship stopped in Juneau.  It is aything but a "big city". We were told the year round population was appx. 1,800 people. The town went  about 4 blocks north, south and west.  Plane and boat are the only way into the town. 

Yep, it sure looked like they went a step up with the coats. They looked like suade/fur coats to me.  God, those boys are such a bunch of tip shits.  They could not build a playhouse never mind their "new home".  I thought the same thing about the tank tops in the snow.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm sure you clever other watchers saw lots more...

The fake shopping trip for the girls where they were able to just open random stuff like the breath strips and nobody stops them or asks if they're buying that. They lived in town after the boat sank but made the Juno trip look like these kids had never seen a displosible razor before.

Shouldn't Ami have been a little more swollen? She's got a pretty thin face and when she got back to the cabin she didn't look any different. I don't doubt she had something done but I think they played with the timeline

And how did the boys know to pick them up when they got back? I don't remember seeing a radio unless it's the one on the boat but they sure didn't hang around the boat all day waiting for Billy to call. You know if they set up some system the narrator would be all over it "Matt goes to the boat at 3pm every day hoping Billy will call and say they're coming home.. Communication in the bush take planning"

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 4
(edited)

I have a hard time feeling sympathy for a grown-ass woman acting like a big baby at the dentist's office, especially when one of her observing daughters will most likely need the same surgery in a few years. Ah-mee gave birth to 7 children and seemed to have survived that. Wonder if the whole family was in the delivery room too? I missed the beginning of the episode - what's with the cardboard insulation? I'm sure that will prove very helpful when it's -40 degrees.

Edited by CN42
  • Love 2

only two bedrooms?   the "wolf pack"  has nine humans in it.   I think there could have been four small bedrooms upstairs instead of two bedrooms and some open space.      maybe the upstairs open space is for the cameras and lights and stuff. 

so,.......the plan is for 25+ and 30+ year-old sons to live their lives by sleeping on the floor. 

because family.

????

I guess it's relative.   the first season, their big plan was for all nine to live in a one-room cabin.   right.

-------------------------

were they sitting around in the rain again?    talking about stuff.    but wait, isn't that a house over there?   maybe have big family discussions inside, when it's raining outside.

-------------------------

oldest son, stop messing around with goofy shacks.     build a cabin.   

• Love 1

Dumb and dumber. Yep, sitting in the rain because...well, because that's what bush people do. And yeah, the norkie t's? When it's cold enough to see your breath? Okay,l maybe they'd worked up a sweat doing whatever they were doing but c'mon--have they never heard of hypothermia? Pneumonia? Also loved that scene with the girls acting like shampoo in 'really modern' bottles was an artifact from mars. Shall we assume that the store keeper handed a bill for damaged merchandise to the producers?

Also loved the short preview cut of Ami saying that she'd been treated like a common criminal or some such. Well, if the shoe fits...can't wait till we get to the court room scenes.

• Love 2

I have a hard time feeling sympathy for a grown-ass woman acting like a big baby at the dentist's office, especially when one of her observing daughters will most likely need the same surgery in a few years. .

This grown-ass woman has a deep, deep fear of dentist that came from a slightly abusive pediatric dentist with no bedside manner who, in hindsight never should have been working with kids. I need one tooth pulled and have been putting it off for months; if I thought I needed six done it would take Valium just to get me in the waiting room. We can't help our phobias even if they look silly to others.

Not blaming you for what you said though, "reality" shows like this don't help when they play it up for drama to make things look oh so dire or make the person look crazy instead of a little nervous. That gets some viewers actually believing every single thing they see........my Mother being one, she thinks the Brown family are modern day pioneers; she also thinks all the stings on Mystery Diners are real and that some of the employees get arrested after the show ( she's a little older so I just play along)

• Love 2
(edited)

My sister also has a fear of dentists and needs valium before each visit, and, our dentist was a nice guy. That sure did look like carboard on the walls - nothing like a insulated home to keep you warm in the winter.  Oh look- a shampoo bottle! They all  need to shampoo their mops of hair and take a bath. I guess they do that in the near by streams when it's 10 below.  I also can't wait for the court scenes.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2
(edited)

The money is rolling in at Discovery. The money is rolling in for the Brown's. Everyone loves this garbage.

No doubt, but is it just me or are reality shows starting to more and more obviously show their cracks? The scripting, the fake plotlines, the holes in the various stories big enough to drive trucks through, the level of BS even my dog could smell a mile away? Perhaps the reality phenomenon is approaching the end of it's heyday? I know these things became so ubiquitous because they're relatively easy and cheap to produce, but between the supersaturation and the total stupidity of any number of them, the scandals (the Duggars, Honey Boo Boo, the upcoming fraud trial on this show and so on), might this cash cow be coming towards the end of it's reign?

Just wondering.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 2

Beden - I agree. Companies like Discovery and TLC cannot affort any more bad publicity. However, like you said, they are really cheap to produce and the public love them.  And, you are right, seem to get lamer with every new show.

I have a friend who is doing major reconstructive dental work.  She needs full plates for top and bottom.  Dentist won't pull more than 4 teeth at a time to avoid dry socket and infection.  

I think the point of only having two bedrooms is to force the sons to go build their own cabins.  

I think the point of only having two bedrooms is to force the sons to go build their own cabins.

And get married then start cranking out those grandbabies.

Or it could just be yet another plot device so we can see the boys staking claim to under the stairs, next to the wood burner or tying a hammock to the beams.

• Love 2

"I think the point of only having two bedrooms is to force the sons to go build their own cabins."

That or because they don't actually live there!

I still can't get over them sitting around in the rain in their leather jackets or in Bam's case, leather vest. Why don't they have proper rain gear?!!

The girls in the store. I can't decide if they were trolling us or if they really are that mystified by "modern" hair product packaging. I hope Birdie gets that snaggle tooth fixed.

• Love 3
(edited)

or the real owners of the property only need two bedrooms.     :)

were they hatless in the rain again?    it happens so often that I don't always notice it.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaskan-bush-people/videos/the-browns-settle-into-their-new-home/

the best place to put that rifle, is to prop it up the corner of the room.   out of the way.   there, it would be less likely to be stepped on or knocked over.  and easy to find in the dark, when bears typically invade the second story in a coordinated building attack.   oh, yeah, it wouldn't be pointed at someone's  head when they are rearranging some crap on the floor.

20 years since they had their own bedroom?    FAIL

Edited by clod
  • Love 1

The girls in the store. I can't decide if they were trolling us or if they really are that mystified by "modern" hair product packaging. I hope Birdie gets that snaggle tooth fixed.

Forgive my aging brain, but didn't the family just spend like 6 months (or whatever) in Kitchecan? Silly me, small town though it may be, don't they have a drug store or a place with a personal care aisle? I'm thinking that maybe they do.

Dumb and dumber.

And thank you for the comment about basic gun safety. Call me a city gal, but the guns in my house are all unloaded and either hanging on a rack 10 feet up on a wall or locked in a safe. Before you wonder, no, I'm not a gun person, daddy was an army colonel and I inherited his guns. I'm holding them until my son is ready to take them.

• Love 2

In the words of Sadie Doyle, "Stop making the subtext text!  Where did you go to finishing school?"  

I kid. 

But yes, that is indeed the subtext.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh yeah, and at the end of the show when Mom and Billy walk into the house to the surprise of the new stove, commenting on how warm it was in the cabin--you could see Billy's breath as he spoke.

nice catch!    I turned on the last few minutes of the rerun to see it.  yup!    the breath was visible.    haha.    

there's enough room upstairs to set up five single beds.  or some bunkbeds.     but no,........  not rustic enough.  not part of the bush theme.   so they have to sleep on the floor.

I'm ready to see how they will light the house.  kerosene lanterns?    or maybe the inside of the house will just be filmed during daylight hours.   after dark, they will be sitting around a campfire.   (in the rain!)       :)

Edited by clod
  • Love 1

I'm ready to see how they will light the house.  kerosene lanterns?    or maybe the inside of the house will just be filmed during daylight hours.   after dark, they will be sitting around a campfire.   (in the rain!)       :)

Edited by clod, Today. 6:57 am.

Because, since they can't afford insulation, a door or roofing, heaven knows they can't afford solar panels for power--that wouldn't be bush, right? Aside from the fact which we're not supposed to realize, they're raking in some decent $ just by faking their way through this reality show, right?

I can't help it--'reality' shows are simply starting to annoy me, snarkalishous though they may be.

• Love 1

I can't help it--'reality' shows are simply starting to annoy me, snarkalishous though they may be.

I've kind of hit the point of diminishing snark returns with this one too.  It's just too fake.  At least with the Kilchers, there's the sense that even if these people aren't doing this year-round they're pretty serious about what they do.  This is just suspension of disbelief busting tomfoolery.

• Love 2

Yep, sadly this thing may well have jumped the shark. Evidently next week (okay, this Friday) we're to be treated to the local yenta scaring up a passel of gals for the boys. I'm assuming that general casting was called or a notice was put up on the bulletin board of the local post office looking for extras.

I'm just waiting till we get to the court room scenes, assuming the crew has permission to film...does anyone remember/know when the trial/hearings are supposed to be? And if they already happened, do we know any outcomes?

• Love 1

Saw the show last night. Oh my. So Matt used 7,000 old tires to build that hut, grade and put in the floor, side the walls with wood (the Brown house also now has inside siding, I noticed, though just studs upstairs and the rooms are wide open without interior walls) and did it all in three days, two weeks or whatever? Uh-huh. So the production company called in the local building crew again to do some projects, though we're still waiting for a front door and tiles or something on the roof to replace that tarp with winter coming in 10 minutes.

Also loved how the boys were looking at an old portable phone like it came from ET and could use it to call home, if home had phones.

Crikey.

• Love 2
(edited)

Saw the show last night. Oh my. So Matt used 7,000 old tires to build that hut, grade and put in the floor, side the walls with wood (the Brown house also now has inside siding, I noticed, though just studs upstairs and the rooms are wide open without interior walls) and did it all in three days, two weeks or whatever? Uh-huh. So the production company called in the local building crew again to do some projects, though we're still waiting for a front door and tiles or something on the roof to replace that tarp with winter coming in 10 minutes.

Or it was 2,000 or 5,000 or I swear he accidentally said 20,000 at one point.  I doubt the family put all that up themselves but even if they did it's obvious on every episode that this show really, really messes with timelines.   The most realistic thing that happened was Cupcake immediately jumping on that new bed and making himself at home - Dogs never fail to find the most comfortable spot.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 1

The phone thing was the biggest farce!  We have seen all of them with their cell phones and now they don't know how to talk on a phone.  Let's get to the trial already.

Nickel bet anyone?  I bet that some of those boys aren't even their children.  Do we all agree that Christmas Easter Bunny is the eldest boys daughter?  You can usually find a thread of some common trait and these people (the boys) just don't all look like all the rest.

• Love 2
(edited)

20 years since they had their own bedroom.   ten years since they had a dinner table.      be proud!     BUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------

how many trips to the junkyard would it take to move all those tires?

reminds me of the scene where they towed home three pieces of lumber from the sawmill.  and then all the lumber was magically just there.

btw, stagnant water in those tires will be a happy place for mosquitos.   and cardboard under the flooring?    that will get damp and stay damp.  

------------------------------------------------

don't tell the girl that your mom signed you up for the matchmaker.   

as presented on the show, none of the boys are date-worthy, and of course are not husband material.     mom thinks the oldest is starting to get to an age where he needs to think about his future.  hmmm,......maybe give the apron strings a few more years, just to be sure. shoot for age 40.

she seems to think spreading his wings means building a one-room cabin 100 feet from mom and dad.    good plan.    can't miss.

granbabees in browntown!            BUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by clod
  • Love 2

Yes, they lived in town, which has stores, rests., and the like. However, they all look like they have never heard of shampoo, never mind soap and water. Sunday they meet the matchmaker. Should be interesting.

• Love 1

as presented on the show, none of the boys are date-worthy, and of course are not husband material.     mom thinks the oldest is starting to get to an age where he needs to think about his future.  hmmm,......maybe give the apron strings a few more years, just to be sure. shoot for age 40.

Matt even stated that he's '32 and single for a reason'. He may well get horny but not everyone wants or needs to get married, grandbabies aside. He just strikes me as an overgrown fraternity jock playing along, riding with the tide, cashing his reality show checks and having some fun while the pickins' easy. He may or may not cross over the reality bridge to a real life when the show gets canceled or when some family members are sentenced to prison for fraud.

I get the impression he and his family are laughing all the way to the bush bank with this show.

• Love 3

Long leather coat+ Leather jackets

earrings

rings on every finger

hair looks freshly washed

nice clothes

decent shoes/boots

no more TIRE or Plastic wrap houses

like I said:

start building some tree houses

BROWNTOWN TREEHOUSE VILLAGE

So disappointing. What will we do if the series isn't renewed for next year? Say it ain't so!

Granted it is fake staged, but  if they would at least  post a disclaimer it would be good for the show.Yes I do find it interesting and I do watch it fake or not..

• Love 1
(edited)
Of course he knew that word and lots of others; they were home schooled by mom and dad, remember? Though I've noticed that none of them seem to know the difference between 'good' and 'well'...as in 'Things are going good!' and Browntown is coming along real, real good'.

And last night's ep? Crikey. These morons, these lords of the bush didn't think to prepare their damn boats for winter so the skiff ended up frozen in the muck and filled to the gunwales with ice and snow? Morons. Okay, let's be fair; either the prop guys screwed up or it was part of this week's script.

Also loved how the date girl was so clearly thinking that she wanted to turn and run screaming out the nearest door during the world's most awkward and fake first (and last) date. Also loved that flashback to the family dinner around the big ole family dinner table Ami has been dying for these last 30 years--all blocked ala every bad TV show in history with one empty side for camera angles while everyone is squished in along the remaining 3 sides.

The BS just keeps getting deeper and I don't tell anyone I know I watch this thing as my favorite guilty pleasure.

Note--sorry about the incorrect and endless quote boxes; my computer is having an issue this morning.
Edited by Beden
  • Love 1
(edited)
Gabe knew how to correctly use the word "ingenuitive"?  I'm tapping out.

hahaha.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

later, girl calls matchmaker.    " &*$#@%&^$%##@*** ????? "

Okay, let's be fair; either the prop guys screwed up or it was part of this week's script.

yeah, whoever was minding the place while the family was away for a few weeks could have looked after the boat.   but letting it sit there did provide some show fodder.    really, though, is having emergency transportation important in the bush?    nah.   

it's like taking care of your tools - unnecessary.

waiting till the last day of deer season to get the deer they need to survive?   why not a week or two weeks earlier?    they were all right there, living in browntown the whole time.    right.    of course.

did some of that campfire wood look like it was sawed?

Edited by clod
  • Love 1

I have hunters in my family and that whole "set-up" was for shit.  Those organs sure came out nice and clean like maybe purchased from a store.  They cut the head off and left it or do you think the real hunter cut the head off for his walls or to sell?  After reading the stuff from stooped housewives/reality tv scandals I took the time to notice just how small all the brown boys are.  They are miniature!  OMG!

• Love 1

waiting till the last day of deer season to get the deer they need to survive?   why not a week or two weeks earlier?    they were all right there, living in browntown the whole time.    right.    of course.

And that's another thing; one deer for 9 people? That's gonna go far. Uh-huh.

• Love 1

I hadn't heard about a fraud trial.  Could someone fill me in please & thank you?

Alaskan residents are eligible for a dividend from the Alaska Permanent Fund, which is a fund established in 1976 to pool 25% of the mineral lease rights, royalties, rents, proceeds, and bonuses.  The income can only be used for income-producing investments.  It is paid on June 30th of each year and calculated using a set formula.  There are certain residency requirements to earn a dividend payment.  If you are absent for more than 180 days for a reason other than being in school, being active duty military, receiving continuous medical treatment out of state, caring for a sick parent, spouse, etc. out of state, serving in Congress or on a Congressional staff, etc. etc. etc. 

If you are absent for more than those 180 days for a reason not listed in their state law and make a claim anyway, it's fraud.  The State is alleging that six of the Browns has been putting in claims from 2010 to 2013 while not meeting residency requirements.

The trigger discipline on Bear and Bam-Bam is terrible in those pictures.  And I've never handled a gun in my life.

• Love 1

Okay, I realize how ridiculous what I'm about to say is but during that kerfuffle regarding Ami's family calling the cops on her; we all know that they're  really living in the local tourist lodge and only boat over to the set for filming but couldn't she just have made the calls to the fam back in the lower 48 herself when she got back to her room?

Break the 4th wall? shocking, I know but did they really have to build an ep on this BS? And would that nice lady who allowed the boys to knock down her shed (which looked like a semi-furnished apartment to me) and play finders keepers--she really let they take what looked like a perfectly good oven instead of selling it? Even if it needed work, it would likely have been worth some $ to someone. And the boys found enough in perfect condition tongue and  groove lumber to finish the upstairs walls and had it installed in 30 seconds. Uh-huh--and it looked like they put it over the cardboard insulation. uh-huh again. I may be a cynic, but I suspect that the local construction crew knows better than that.

This thing just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

• Love 1