Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Family Secrets

An Avery-centric episode where she'll have to try to emote?

This is going to be all about the hacker who caused Avery's patient to be killed, which has kind of already been addressed by that episode with her sister in it.  Avery was way too involved with her patient -- buying her baby presents and being the emergency contact for her patient's sister.  

Her patient that, if you read the article at the start of each episode, was not a very nice person since she collected dirt on a lot of important people and blabbed all the dirt/personal secrets of those important people she knew to her psychologist who recorded them all and stored them on her computer that was then hacked. All the dirt/personal secrets were revealed to the world by the hacker and someone killed Avery's patient because of it.

Avery's patient wasn't killed by the hacker -- important people killed Avery's patient because of the embarrassing dirt that was revealed by the hacker.

It could happen to you.

• Love 1
(edited)

This episode is even more convoluted and confusing than the previous episode.

Avery Ryan ... you have failed ... your patient (and this city).

What was with Brody doing on the rooftop with the sniper bluesnarfing rifle stealing files from Avery's computer ?  WTF ?  And for good measure he gets knocked out cold by somebody (that turns out to be the hacker).

So, the guy that hacked Avery 10 years ago in NY was one of her patients, Logan,  ... and his big gripe is that she didn't help him enough.  Did the police not investigate her former patients at all when her one patient was killed ?

If Avery lived and worked in NY, why was her former patient that was killed buried in DC ? 

Avery's patient wasn't killed by the hacker -- important people killed Avery's patient because of the embarrassing dirt that was revealed by the hacker.

My prediction was incorrect.  Turns out the hacker was the killer of Avery's patient -- go figure.

During the investigation as the Cyber team looks for Avery they crash a guy's house and Mundo bashes him into the wall -- only to find out he is Avery's ex-husband.  I guess the ex-husband is lucky he got away from Mundo with his spine intact. Seriously, Mundo has to really stop assaulting all these suspects that turn out to be innocent -- because there are enough of them now they could basically put together a class-action lawsuit against him.

The return of the masses of nameless computer techs in the Pit area.

Logan confines Avery to a warehouse and tries to kill them both with carbon monoxide poisoning, but Avery gets the drop on him, beats him on the head with her nameplate and calls Mundo to save her.  Which he does.

The video file that Avery was constantly reinfecting her computers with was of her husband and her young daughter that apparently died.  They never do say how she died.

Blah, blah, blah ... Krummie and his sister encounter the guy named Taylor Pettis that killed their parents 17 years ago at a diner, and Krummie threatens to toss his ass in jail and messes up his breakfast.  Pettis files a complaint with the police against Krummie and Sifter confronts him about it.  Pettis ends up dead with two gunshot wounds in his chest, and Krummie meets his sister in her car where she tells him that she killed Pettis. Dun-dun-dun-dun !!!

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Did they schedule 3 episodes in 2 nights in hopes that we wouldn't be as likely to spend time snarking about the idiot elements of plot etc,?

If so, good job, schedulers!

Gotta do my sciatica exercises now or work will be as painful as watching this show.

• Love 1

So, unless I fell asleep some point in these past episodes, they never revealed before that Avery use to be married and had a child who apparently passed away, right? It was certainly news to the team, except Peter MacNicol.  Either way, I was kind of amused that they got Brent Sexton to play her ex, because he was not only the victim's father on The Killing, but he recent appeared on American Crime as the Lili Taylor's ex who, yep.  Also lost a child.  Apparently, being Brent Sexton's child is not a good thing in TV-Land.  At least he tried to do something with this material.  Was certainly better then Patricia Arquette, to say the least.

So, Krummy and big sis bump into his parents' killer at a diner, where he flips out and threatens him.  The guy files a restraining order on him, but whines up dead, which normal would make Peter MacNicol suspicious, but since he's gone after this episode, I doubt he'll be involved in it going forward.  But twist!  It was Krummy's sister all along!!

Avery finally finds the guy who hacked her way back in 2005, thanks to Bow Wow digging into the case.  Ended up just being a typical "former patient who became obsessed with the therapist" thing.  Nothing to see here, folks!

Good use of Raven, show.  Just use her to cover for Bow Wow and continue to keep her cooped up at headquarters.  She really seems to be the character the show cares least about.  We've got all the Avery drama, Elijah and his family, Bow Wow and his past, Krummy and his sis, and even looked into Peter MacNicol and his son. All I really know about Raven is that she caused a blackout in New Hampshire.

So, this is it for now.  I know that Peter is bailing next season, and Ted Danson will be crashing the party instead.  I doubt that will be enough, so I hope they have some other ideas, or I can't see this show lasting for very long.  Being stupidly entertaining can only go so far.  Ask The Following.

...I was kind of amused that they got Brent Sexton to play her ex, because he was not only the victim's father on The Killing, but he recent appeared on American Crime as the Lili Taylor's ex who, yep.  Also lost a child.  Apparently, being Brent Sexton's child is not a good thing in TV-Land.  At least he tried to do something with this material.  Was certainly better then Patricia Arquette, to say the least...

Well, he really should have the grieving father act down cold by now.

...I know that Peter is bailing next season, and Ted Danson will be crashing the party instead.  I doubt that will be enough, so I hope they have some other ideas, or I can't see this show lasting for very long...

Ted Danson has a lot of on-screen charisma. If they let him be more of a lead than PM was, it might work for another season or two. But I hope not.
  • Love 1

I haven't been watching this series until a couple of days ago when I heard Ted Danson would be moving in next season.  I've now seen 4 or 5 episodes, and don't think I can stand any more.  Many TV series have poor first seasons, but they're seldom as bad as this.

I'll tune in next season to see if DB Russel can rescue this turkey.  And they'd better get some new writers as well.  Worst. scripts. ever.

• Love 2

I was going to bail on CSA when Ted Danson came in, but I actually think he worked well in that role and I stuck around. Hopefully that will work here--maybe with emoting lessons for Patricia?  I just think it's hard to make people sitting around on computers exciting to watch.

I was going to bail on CSA when Ted Danson came in, but I actually think he worked well in that role and I stuck around. Hopefully that will work here--maybe with emoting lessons for Patricia?  I just think it's hard to make people sitting around on computers exciting to watch.

Yeah ,the"sitting around computers" is a big part of the problem.  That, and the poor acting.  And the poor scripts. 

• Love 1

When you start with a bad premise (investigating cyber crimes can be the sole basis for a show), add terrible scripts, give actors nothing convincing to work with - there's just no hope.  How this steaming pile got renewed is just beyond imagination.  There must be a LOT of people out there who really believe all the stupid the-internet-is-going-to-kill-us-all-right-now crap.  Very disturbing.

• Love 1

I've been putting off catching up on CSI Cyber for a long time, but got a TON of booze and binge watched some yesterday.  I'd stopped at about Episode 10 last year and got up to this one (so far--assuming I just don't stop here). 

Wow, I really HAD blanked out how shit this show is.  I thought I could drink my way through it, celebrating each stupid bit with a swig, but really I'm surprised I'm still sober enough to type straight.