Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E25: Top Six Perform

• Start Topic

Standard vs oldie, semantics really.   I like many older or classic songs.  Personally I don't like I left My Heart in San Fran or My Funny Valentine to name 2.  Music is like art; it is personal taste and nothing more.  Moon River was popular when I was young; I heard many of these songs when they came out.  

I do understand that these young singers have to show their ability in all genres to show their ability.  For that reason I am all for it.  But I don't have like every standard they sing!  

When you are 20 there are thousands of songs that came before they were born.  I don't fault them for no knowing some.  I don't know many of the songs of my parents generation.  Well I do know one Jimmy Crack Corn by Burl Ives!  I love it, too.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

Nobody says that you do. Look I am a big time Sinatra fan who doesn't like most of the songs that most people associate him with like "New York, New York" or "My Way." In fact I think at the end of his life he felt the same way. I saw him in Atlantic City at the end and he did a medly of all those hoary chestnuts like "My Way" "Chicago" and "Strangers in the Night." He rushed through them like he was late to catch a train.

Then he did a heartfelt and beautiful rendition of "Angel Eyes" that brought the house down. So of course it is all about individual taste.

There are songs that are recognized as part of the "Great American Songbook" as standards that any great singer should at the least attempt. New songs might eventually become a part of that grouping. I would define "oldies" as disposable pop songs that don't stand up to the test of time.

But it is up to everyone's taste in the end. I just don't think any of the remaining contestants could handle any of the standards as well as a moderately talented lounge singer would who could stay in tune and not have massive pitch problems. Except maybe Nick and he is very limited in other ways. Just one man's opinion.

Edited by Trooper York
  • Love 4

Nobody says that you do. Look I am a big time Sinatra fan who doesn't like most of the songs that most people associate him with like "New York, New York" or "My Way." In fact I think at the end of his life he felt the same way. I saw him in Atlantic City at the end and he did a medly of all those hoary chestnuts like "My Way" "Chicago" and "Strangers in the Night." He rushed through them like he was late to catch a train.

Then he did a heartfelt and beautiful rendition of "Angel Eyes" that brought the house down. So of course it is all about individual taste.

Great story. "Angel Eyes" is a much better song than "New York New York" or "My Way" or "Strangers In The Night." ("Chicago" I think is a little better than those three, but it's a "frothy" standard.) But great performers often have to bear signature songs that are far from their best. Ella Fitzgerald was performing "A Tisket, A Tasket" her whole life. Why, on earth? It was no better or no worse than a lot of other '30s novelty numbers she had cut in her early career. It caught on and people wanted to hear it, though. (shrug) And who was a better servant of the Great American Songbook than Ella Fitzgerald? I could come up with 100 set lists for a dream Ella Fitzgerald concert without getting to "A Tisket, A Tasket." 

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 1

I could come up with 100 set lists for a dream Ella Fitzgerald concert without getting to "A Tisket, A Tasket."

Oh my goodness, yes. Me, too!  *cue all the Ella songs on my iPod*

One of the best songs I've ever heard Harry do was "Danny Boy." He sang it a cappella in concert, and it was gorgeous. Even the doofus behind me who seemed to only be there because his girlfriend made him come with her finally shut up when Harry sang that. And afterward, I heard the guy whisper, "Wow." 

• Love 1

"Danny Boy" is a great maudlin chestnut for these kids to try to sing. In tune.

I bet that you have heard a bunch of drunk guys sing it better on St Patrick's Day in the pub then any of these kids could possibly attempt.

Edited by Trooper York

One of the best songs I've ever heard Harry do was "Danny Boy."

I just looked it up on you tube (I couldn't find the a cappella  version) and I got chills.  Literally.  That was gorgeous.  Until now, I loved his version of Wink and a Smile, It Had to Be You and Jambalaya on the Bayou.

• Love 1

I saw Harry on Broadway in "The Pajama Game" and he was great. Singing. Acting. Just an all around great performance.

Quentin has no idea. I don't blame him because he is just a kid.

He might google Harry and get some idea of who he is dissing. Just sayn'

• Love 3

Shannon L., if you want some recommendations, let me know and I'll private message you here on previously.tv. I've got about 15 of Harry's albums (though I've gotten behind on his latest albums these past 5+ years), and he has some really amazing work that you should hear if you haven't. GREAT stuff, both his singing and his piano skills.

One of my favorite memories from one of his concerts was a song, I don't even remember what song it was but I would give anything to see him perform it again because it was AMAZING. He started out singing along with his big band, then they stopped playing and it was just him on the piano, just going to town on it, really amazing improv stuff, and then he stopped playing and started tapping rhythmically on the side of the piano, stood up all the while still tapping out a rhythm, and he made it all the way around the piano, drumming on the piano, then he tap-danced over to a drum set, sat down and started doing all sorts of interesting percussion, stood up, tap-danced in a fascinating rhythm all the way back to the piano, tapping and drumming on the piano, all the way back to his seat at the piano, sat down and went right back into playing the song, with the band starting up as if he'd never had that unusual little interlude, and they played the hell out of the song. It was the most fascinating, marvelous thing I'd ever seen and heard, and I wish I had it on film. It was SO COOL. I've never forgotten it, his performance made such an impression. Astounding, really.

• Love 1

Quentin over Joey and Rayvon is one of the stupidest things ever.  

Rayvon over Joey is a bit "wack" (heh) too, but at least it seems like it's in the realm of the possible.