Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Public Enemy

• Start Topic

They could just Lazarus Oliver and mold his crazy ass into what Ra's wants. Or maybe he needed the league to go full force considering they couldn't even manage to kill a lawyer.

• Love 1

Well! I am two years behind everyone else because I just found this show and I've been binge watching,  but,

I love Ray. I've been him many times. I've wanted men, but they were still in love with a previous woman so much that I never stood a chance. I think he loves Felicity,  he would do anything for her. I get from all the posts that Felicity is never going to love him, but that is so sad. From here on out, I'm on Team Ray, even though I know I'll lose.

(edited)

Poor Ray.  Have you watched him over on Legends of Tomorrow?  He continues to

Spoiler

get his heart stomped.  Though Gertrude seems to have really strong feelings for him.  ;)

I did like Ray when he was on Arrow (except for episode 17 when he turned into a major dismissive ass) but I also don't think he needs too much pity about Felicity not returning his feelings.

I think that he saw things in Felicity that reminded him of his fiance Anna and unintentionally transferred some of those intense feelings to Felicity.  It's not that I doubt he liked her or even that he could have fallen in love with her, but I think more than anything, once he started to feel something, he got caught up in the rush and just kept wanting to feel it more until he felt he was in love, but I'm not completely convinced of it's depth (not that it couldn't have gotten there eventually).   I think Ray really wants to be in love.  I still think that about him.   

But while yes, he doesn't stand a chance, his friendship with Felicity and Oliver and and everything he learned during his time around them, changes his life and led him to a life where I don't think he regrets not winning her heart.  Otherwise he'd never have

Spoiler

gotten on that ship.  Or saved the world a few times.  Turns out, that's really important to him.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Swim mom said:

I just set Legends up to record when it comes on.  Thank you.

Ray is amazing on Legends. If you like him on Arrow, I can't imagine you not liking him on LoT. I hated him on Arrow, and now I couldn't imagine LoT without him. Although I still don't think romantic hero is a suit BR wears well, especially with how the Flarrowverse writers handle romance.

I'm afraid that Ray's behaviour in 3x17 getting all judgmental about Felicity not telling him Oliver's secrets when he kept multiple secrets from her and only trusted her after a man (Oliver) told him to, soured me on Ray and his relationship with Olicity.

But I third that LoT redeemed him mightily.  A much better fit for him.

• Love 1
On 6/2/2017 at 10:32 PM, statsgirl said:

But I third that LoT redeemed him mightily.  A much better fit for him.

LoT understands that Ray isn't a romantic leading man, but a goofy dork who happens to be really handsome.

• Love 7

I love his bro-mances though.  And I really felt for him season one when he was in a relationship, i just saw that it was going to end badly so it was hard to root for.  

• Love 2

Before 317 and 318, Felicity and Ray crossed over to guest star on The Flash 118. Therefore, I'm posting my transcriptions from both that Flash episode and this episode...

The Flash 118 (All Star Team Up) – Felicity explains to Barry why she helped Oliver before she knew he was the Arrow:
Felicity: "When I first met Oliver, before I knew he was the Arrow, he would – he would ask me to do weird things for him. Like decrypt a bullet-ridden computer, or hack some company. And when I would ask him why, he would come up with these ridiculous excuses, and I always knew he was lying, but I would help him anyway. You know why?”
Barry: “(Makes questioning noise)”
Felicity: “Because I knew Oliver was a good person, with a good heart."

The Flash 118 (All Star Team Up) – Felicity says one of the worst lines of the series:
Caitlin: "You're so lucky.  Ray's so nice and smart and hot."
Felicity: "Yeah, it's kinda like I’m dating Barry but in Oliver's body - a sentence you will never repeat to anyone."
Caitlin: "Your secret's safe with me."

The Flash 118 (All Star Team Up) – Felicity has a nemesis in Brie Larvan, a/k/a/ the Bug-Eyed Bandit: 
Felicity (over comms): "Barry, I hacked into the bees' frequency. I’m controlling them."
Brie: "I'm the queen of this hive."
Felicity: "Oh, she's good. She's like my nemesis. I never had a nemesis before. I kinda like it."

318 (Public Enemy) – Oliver Queen’s voiceover intro:
Oliver (voiceover): “My name is Oliver Queen. After five years in hell, I have come home with only one goal - to save my city. Now others have joined my crusade. To them, I am Oliver Queen. To the rest of Starling City, I am someone else. I am something else.”

318 (Public Enemy) – Ray saves Felicity and is injured in the process:
(After shooting an arrow into Mayor Castle, from a nearby rooftop, Maseo shoots another arrow directly at Felicity through the window, but Ray pushes Felicity to the floor to protect her.)
Laurel: “Are you okay?”
Felicity: “I’m fine.”
(They turn and see Ray laying on the floor, gasping, with an arrow in his chest.)

318 (Public Enemy) – Laurel refuses to tell her father the identity of the Arrow:
Quentin: "Okay, listen up. The suspect is armed and dangerous. No warning shots!"
Laurel: "Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?"
Quentin: "He was on that rooftop, Laurel, I saw it with my own eyes."
Laurel: "He's being framed."
Quentin: "By a 'copycat.' Which wouldn't be happening if he wasn't dressed up like Robin Hood in the first place."
Laurel: "That's not fair! You don't understand what's happening here and I need you to trust me."
Quentin: "I used to. Who is he? Just tell me his name, or I'll -"
Laurel: "What, Dad? You'll charge me as an accessory?"
Quentin: "I'll do what needs to be done, 'cause this has to end. And it has to end tonight."

318 (Public Enemy) – Dr. Lockhart refuses to use Ray's experimental nano tech procedure, and Donna Smoak returns to Starling City:
(Felicity is sitting by injured Ray's hospital bed, watching the TV.)
Female News Anchor (on TV): "In the wake of the attacks, Captain Lance has issued an arrest warrant for the vigilante known as the Arrow, as the largest manhunt in the city's history is now underway. Captain Lance confirmed that arrest warrants have also been issued for each of the Arrow's accomplices."
Felicity: "Ray? Hey. Hi. How are you?"
Ray: "You're here, so I'm great."
Doctor (entering): "Mr. Palmer, how are you feeling?"
Ray: "You have a not so good look on your face. You see his face?"
Doctor: "I'm afraid I've got some bad news. During the surgery to remove the arrow, you developed a thrombus." 
Ray: "A blood clot."
Doctor: "If left untreated, it could cause an ischemic stroke."
Felicity: "Well, then maybe we should treat it."
Doctor: "It's not that simple. Your injuries have left you very weak. A craniotomy could end up doing more harm than good."
Felicity: "And by harm, you mean -"
Doctor: "Brain damage, at best. At worst -"
Ray: "So we are saying basically that if we have the surgery now, I could die, and... if I wait and the clot moves, I could die. What if I told you that I invented a bunch of teeny tiny robots that were capable of entering my bloodstream, traveling to the clot, and shrinking it, all without damaging my brain or any other organ in my body?"
Doctor: "I'd say you need a psych eval."
Ray (chuckling): "Okay. But after, we go to my lab, get the nano tech, inject it in me, and publish the results in the New England Journal of Medicine." 
Doctor: "Ah, I'm sorry, but that's simply not possible."
Ray: "Uh, I invented the tech, it's possible." 
Doctor: "Starling General has a very strict policy against experimental procedures."
Felicity: "Wait, there is a procedure that could save his life, and you're saying you won't perform it?"
Doctor: "I'm saying I can't perform it. The hospital won't permit the use of an experimental or untested technology. How do you know your invention won't kill you?"
Ray: "I don't. It's a risk."
Doctor: "I'm very sorry, but there's really nothing I can do." (Leaves)
Ray: "We'll figure something out."
(Someone knocks on the door.)
Donna (entering): "Ray Palmer. Even in a hospital bed, you're the most handsome man I've ever seen."
Felicity: "Can you give us a minute?" (Ushers her mother out of the room)
Donna: "I heard what happened, so I caught the first flight out of Vegas! So tell me, what did the doctor say?"
Felicity: "Absolutely nothing good."
Donna: "Okay, okay. Hey."
Felicity: "What?"
Donna: "At least you finally have a boyfriend."
Felicity: "Mom!"

318 (Public Enemy) – Donna tells Felicity that she's going to have to be the one to inject Ray with the nano tech:
Felicity: "Ohh."
Donna: "You okay?"
Felicity: "Mm-hmm. Thanks for getting this."
Donna: "I ran into Dr. Lockhart in the cafeteria. I thought maybe, I don't know… I could talk him into giving Ray those nano-thingies."
Felicity: "Nano-tech." 
Donna: "He wouldn't even look at me. Have you seen this dress? Hello!"
Felicity: "Mom." 
Donna: "The man's an idiot. I guess... you're just going to have to be the one to inject those teeny tiny robot things into Ray yourself." 
Felicity: "Great plan, except I'm not a doctor. Even Ray said that they can kill him. I'm not going to be the one to risk his life, I'm not." 
Donna: "His life is already at risk. What you're saying is that you don't want to be the one to take the chance. If your father were here -"
Felicity: "He would be arrested."
Donna: "Probably. But right before that, he would tell you that sometimes, we got to take a chance, particularly for the people we care about."

318 (Public Enemy) – Ra’s al Ghul tells Quentin that Oliver is the Arrow; and later Laurel finds out that Quentin knows Oliver’s secret:
Quentin: “You're him.”
Ra’s: “Ra's al Ghul. It's an honor to meet you. Sara spoke with such love about her father.”
Quentin: “Don't say my daughter's name. If she'd never met you, she'd still be alive now.”
Ra’s: “If Sara had not met my daughter, she would have starved to death on the shores of Lian Yu.”
Quentin: “She was never on Lian Yu.”
Ra’s: “You suffer false perception. One of many, I'm afraid.”
Quentin: “Listen, what do you want?”
Ra’s: “To help the city as your daughter did. You hunt for the man they call the Arrow.”
Quentin: “Yeah. What, you going to help me find him?”
Ra’s: “You'll be able to find him easily… once I tell you his name.”
Quentin: “And why would I believe just any name that you'd throw at me?”
Ra’s: “Well, because with this revelation, everything will become clear. And you will realize the man you've been looking for has been right in front of you the entire time. The same man who lied, telling you he wasn't with Sara on Lian Yu. Oliver Queen is the Arrow.”
Laurel: “We need to talk.”
Quentin: “Aren't you getting tired of these little chats? Because I know I am.”
Laurel: “Then let's cut through all the crap. You don't think the Arrow's behind these murders. You're just pissed off because he kept Sara's death a secret from you.”
Quentin: “That is not why. That is not why! I mean, maybe at first. Yeah. But then I realized, he is the reason Sara got killed.”
Laurel: “Dad, that is ridiculous.”
Quentin: “No. You, Harper, Sara, the freak in Central City, the Huntress. I got a new guy flying around the city. All these masks? They started with him. And Sara died only because she was part of it all, too.”
Laurel: “You have no idea why Sara was killed.”
Quentin: “She ended up in the League of Assassins 'cause she was marooned on Lian Yu – ‘cause she got in that boat with Queen.”
Laurel: “So what? Now Oliver's to blame?”
Quentin: “Oliver, the Arrow, either way, same guy. (Off Laurel’s look) On some level, I think I always knew. When I thought he was doing good, it didn't matter to me. You know, when that boat went down and we - we thought Sara was dead, I blamed Queen. And it's funny how things come full circle, right? Well, I got things to do. (Laurel takes out her phone) Calling him? It's too late. I've got officers headed to his home, his sister's club, everywhere.”

318 (Public Enemy) – Donna distracts the doctor, while Felicity injects Ray with the nano tech:
(Ray is lying in his hospital bed while a doctor inspects him.)
Ray: "Uh, for what's it worth, I'm thinking of starting a reality TV show, so maybe I already have brain damage."
Doctor: "Don't joke, Mr. Palmer. The next few hours are critical. I'm going to want to keep you under close observation."
Donna: "Oww!" 
Felicity: "Mom?" 
Donna: "No, no, no, it's nothing. Ohh! I think my back is spasming! (Bumps into doctor) Oh! Oh. Ooh. Gosh, you're so strong. Ow! Oh, my God, I think I - I think I'm going to faint."
Doctor: "Maybe we should get you on a gurney."
Donna: "Yeah! Yeah, let's get me on a gurney. Ow. Oh! I'm sorry. Ow!" (Leaves with doctor)
Ray: "Is your mom going to be okay?"
Felicity: "Oh... I think she'll make a miraculous recovery in about five minutes... Just like you."
Ray: "Is that my nano-tech?"
Felicity: "Assuming the organizational system in your lab is accurate."
Ray: "Uh, I - are you sure you want to do this?"
Felicity: "Aren't you?"
Ray: "Yeah. I mean, my alternatives are brain damage or death. But if the hospital finds out, you could go to jail."
Felicity: "I'll take my chances." (Injects Ray)
Ray: "Ahh."
Felicity: "Okay. All right. How do we feel?"
Ray: "Uh, normal? But I wasn't expecting any side -" (Starts to convulse)
Felicity: "Ray? Ray! Ray, Ray, hey! Hi." (He stabilizes)
Ray: "Okay, well... maybe there are some side effects."

318 (Public Enemy) – Quentin announces that Oliver Queen is the Arrow on TV:
Donna: "I am so proud of you. I am so proud - your father would be proud of you."
Felicity: "You know, he's not exactly a role model, but -" 
Doctor (coming up to them): "Oh, Miss Smoak, just the person I wanted to see. Do you know what these are? They're Mr. Palmer's latest MRI. The clot in his brain is gone." 
Felicity: "Really?" 
Doctor: "Not moved, not smaller. Gone. He's going to make a full recovery. You wouldn't happen to know anything about this unprecedented medical development, would you?" 
Felicity: "Huh?" 
Donna: "Are you accusing my daughter of something? Cause I work a table at Caesar's that's frequented by no less than three lawyers."
(They turn to watch TV screen in the hospital.)
Quentin (on TV): "Thank you. Thank you, please. Thank you all for coming. We've had a breakthrough in our investigation of the vigilante known as the Arrow. The district attorney's office has just issued an arrest warrant for the person responsible for these acts of violence - Oliver Queen."
(Cut to Oliver knocking on the door at Diggle's apartment.)
Oliver: "I had nowhere else to go."
Diggle: "It's okay. Lyla took Sara to her mother's."
Oliver: "Lance knows."
Diggle: "The whole city knows, Oliver."
Quentin (on TV): "Mr. Queen should be considered armed and highly dangerous. But make no mistake-- he will be found and brought to justice."

318 (Public Enemy) – Team Arrow meets to discuss the situation:
Female News Anchor (on TV): "A stunning development as Oliver Queen has been outed as the Arrow. The accusation comes as a particular surprise, considering that Queen was exonerated of being the Arrow only two years ago."
Diggle: "News lady's right. You put this genie back in the bottle before, Oliver."
Oliver: "Last time I had it all worked out. Getting arrested was my plan. This time it's Ra's al Ghul's."
(Diggle answers knock on door, and Felicity, Roy and Laurel enter.)
Oliver: "How's Ray?"
Felicity: "So much better than you right now. Please tell me you have a brilliant plan."
Oliver: "I don't even have a regular plan."
Roy: "What about Dig going out as the Arrow? You said that worked last time."
Diggle: "Yeah, but this time Lance won't rest until Oliver's in custody."
Felicity: "You have to leave. You have to get out of town."
Laurel: "My father's posted men at every bus station, train station, and airport. Also... he's frozen Thea's assets. He's not giving you anything you can use to run."
Felicity: "I can't believe this is happening."
Roy: "Do you think Ra's planned this the entire time?"
Oliver: "He's using this city as a weapon. It's my city."
Diggle: "Where you going, Oliver?"
Oliver: "Only place I can go."

318 (Public Enemy) – Ray tells Felicity that he loves her, and she responds with Jell-o; and Donna tells Felicity that she doesn’t love Ray because she is in love with Oliver:
Felicity: "How are you feeling?"
Ray: "For a guy who just avoided death and/or brain damage, pretty good."
Felicity: "Good."
Ray: "Uh, are you okay?"
Felicity: "It's, uh, it's a long story. I'm just glad that you're all right."
Ray: "Thanks to you."
Felicity: "Oh, I think your nano-tech deserves some of the credit. All I did was stick something in you. Do you think there will ever come a time when everything I say isn't some weird double entendre?"
Ray: "I hope not. It's one of your more charming traits. That, and the fact that you had the courage to throw caution to the wind and save my life, are just two of the many reasons that I love you."
Felicity: "Wow. That's a really nice thing to hear. Especially after, you know, everything that's been going on with you with the blood clot, nano -tech, and the... nearly dying... Speaking of, you must be starving after all that drama. I'm going to go find a hospital nurse and get you some of that hospital Jell-o." (Leaves)
(Cut to hospital corridor.)
Donna: "Oh, my God, what just happened?"
Felicity: "Nothing."
Donna: "Felicity... Uh-uh-uh-uh. You look the way you did when you were seven years old and stole your father's electronics collection to make a super computer. Oh, my God. Did you and Ray just do it in this hospital? Did you just have hospital sex?!" 
Felicity: "No!" 
Donna: "Oh! I've always wanted to have hospital sex!"
Felicity: "Way TMI! Gross!" 
Donna: "What?" 
Felicity: "He told me he loved me." 
Donna: "Ohh. And you didn't say it back?"
Felicity (groaning): "What is wrong with me? He's brilliant. He knows the plot to every Doctor Who episode. All 34 seasons. He looks like a Disney prince. I mean, he's... practically the perfect man."
Donna: "You don't love Ray... because you're in love with Oliver."
Felicity: "You don't even know Oliver. You met him for like ten seconds." 
Donna: "I knew it in five. Honey, you lit up like Christmas when he walked in the room." 
Felicity: "But he's... terminally unavailable. And that was before. You haven't been watching the news."
Donna: "No, no, no, I don't watch the news, it depresses me. But here's what doesn't - my daughter has two men who are both amazing, which just means... she has to make a choice."

318 (Public Enemy) – Felicity, Diggle and Roy visit Oliver, who's in police custody at the police station:
Laurel: "Okay, I was able to get you 10 minutes with Oliver, but let's make it five, alright? It would not look good if any of these reporters caught wind of you meeting with him." 
Quentin: "Him, and the three of you? Makes sense." 
(Cut to police interrogation room, where Oliver is waiting.)
Oliver: "You shouldn't be here." 
Diggle: "Oliver, neither should you."
Felicity: "What were you thinking? Were you thinking?!"
Oliver: "I was thinking clearly. I asked Laurel to make a deal - I turn myself in and all of you receive full immunity." 
Diggle: "No, Oliver. You are out of your mind if you think we're just going to stand here and let you take the fall for all of us." 
Oliver: "I started all of this. It's my fault to take, and this is the best way to save lives, including yours. So stop worrying. I've been through far worse than prison." 
Felicity: "This is insane."
Roy: "How could we live with ourselves if we let you do this?" 
Oliver: "Roy, I'm just going to need you to! The only move that Ra's has left me is telling the truth. You have no idea how powerful the truth can be." 
Diggle: "Oliver, this is the wrong move!" 
Oliver: "John... You followed me this far. All of you have followed me this far, but I need you to follow me just a little further. Until it's over."

318 (Public Enemy) – Felicity, Diggle and Roy try to figure out how to help Oliver:
Felicity: "This isn't fair. This isn't right.  All Oliver has ever done was protect people. Help people." 
Diggle: "We can't stay here. This place isn't secure anymore." 
Roy: "And then what? We just bug out and allow this to happen? Enjoy our new immunity?" 
Diggle: "Roy, I don't know! I have no idea. If I did, you'd be listening to it right now."
Roy: "If any one of us were in there and Oliver was here, he would think of something. And it wouldn't matter what the consequences were."
(Man dressed as the Arrow attacks the police convoy carrying Oliver, and Roy is unmasked as the Arrow by the police.)

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Felicity: "Yeah, it's kinda like I’m dating Barry but in Oliver's body - a sentence you will never repeat to anyone.

Not enough words for how gross that is. I mean it's kinda true but it's for people watching the show to notice not the characters. Too meta when the character has actually dated and liked/loved all these men. And it's not something I think Felicity would say on Arrow so I chalk it up to the slightly ditzy personality change she often gets from The Flash.  

I thought Ray actually handled the "I love you/Jello!" conversation pretty well since it's clear from Felicity's reaction she certainly doesn't feel the same way. I'd probably be too mortified to talk to a person again if I was him. 

Quentin should have had a "shit I've got confirmation of something I tried hard to not officially get confirmed like Commissioner Gordon" rather than shock and "on some level I always knew". Considering he knows Sara, Felicity and Roy are heavily involved with both The Arrow and Oliver Queen he was doing a hell of a lot of repressing and lying to himself beyond what I had thought at this point. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1