Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: The Teacher In The Books

When an affluent school teacher is found dead in an abandoned bookstore, the teachers and students at her school become suspects in the case. Meanwhile, Brennan’s publisher encourages her to join Twitter to help grow her fan base, and “squintern” Jessica Warren (guest star Laura Spencer) teaches Brennan some tricks to master the Twitter-verse, skills Brennan enthusiastically puts to use.

I'm kind of impressed. I didn't think Hansen&Co were capable of creating a character more unpleasant and useless than Sweets. New FBI guy is an achievement.

I'm kind of impressed. I didn't think Hansen&Co were capable of creating a character more unpleasant and useless than Sweets. New FBI guy is an achievement.

Which, now that I think of it, is now one of my issues with this show: Brennan is hardly ever in the field anymore, and things seem so...segregated. Yes, Brennan is undoubtedly annoying now, but she seemed less so when around Booth a lot more, and this whole lab/FBI separation doesn't work for me.

I know it wasn't realistic, but I never watched the show for realism.

Which, now that I think of it, is now one of my issues with this show: Brennan is hardly ever in the field anymore, and things seem so...segregated. Yes, Brennan is undoubtedly annoying now, but she seemed less so when around Booth a lot more, and this whole lab/FBI separation doesn't work for me.

I know it wasn't realistic, but I never watched the show for realism.

Neither did I.

I wonder if it's due to the fact she's pregnant?

Not a huge fan of this episode tbh, thought it was annoying in parts. The whole twitter thing seemed forced and imo just filler.

Only good part imo was Caroline. She never fails.

• Love 2

Caroline is awesome and thankfully at least she hasn't changed from the beginning (whichever beginning that is, I still hate that retcon in the ep where Booth and Brennan claim they first worked together).

I watch reruns every day on TNT and it just irritates me that they did whatever they did to Emily's voice. She sounds so strange, like she's never said the words she's saying before in her life.

Not much Hodgins today, I don't like that. And normally Raj's girlfriend is my least favorite intern but I didn't hate her tonight.

I like how the extra handling Deputy Dawg said "good dog" when the dog barked at the first locker. Pooches aren't actors so it's nice that they treat them like good working dogs.

And a spider! I wish they would have showed it more and I hope there were some airholes in the jar Hodgins used. I thought brown recluses were smaller, though.

Neither did I.

I wonder if it's due to the fact she's pregnant?

Not a huge fan of this episode tbh, thought it was annoying in parts. The whole twitter thing seemed forced and imo just filler.

Only good part imo was Caroline. She never fails.

I don't think the pregnancy is an issue. While Sweets still dominated the FBI schtick with Booth, I think Brennan still did some field work during the first pregnancy, although that was very limited, too, because the season the first pregnancy took place (S7), the premiere was delayed until November due to said pregnancy and the World Series, so Brennan was pretty much already about to pop then.

But, to me, the Booth/Brennan dynamic with the Jeffersonian "family" was the draw of this show, and everything seems so fragmented now.

• Love 1

Caroline is awesome and thankfully at least she hasn't changed from the beginning (whichever beginning that is, I still hate that retcon in the ep where Booth and Brennan claim they first worked together).

I watch reruns every day on TNT and it just irritates me that they did whatever they did to Emily's voice. She sounds so strange, like she's never said the words she's saying before in her life.

Not much Hodgins today, I don't like that. And normally Raj's girlfriend is my least favorite intern but I didn't hate her tonight.

I like how the extra handling Deputy Dawg said "good dog" when the dog barked at the first locker. Pooches aren't actors so it's nice that they treat them like good working dogs.

And a spider! I wish they would have showed it more and I hope there were some airholes in the jar Hodgins used. I thought brown recluses were smaller, though.

Definitely. She's still the same gruff, yet kind character with a good sense of humor.

Yea I found that annoying too. There are times when it's more natural and there are times where it's O_o. A little too much. 

Good catch. Not huge airholes, but something to let it breathe at least.

I don't think the pregnancy is an issue. While Sweets still dominated the FBI schtick with Booth, I think Brennan still did some field work during the first pregnancy, although that was very limited, too, because the season the first pregnancy took place (S7), the premiere was delayed until November due to said pregnancy and the World Series, so Brennan was pretty much already about to pop then.

But, to me, the Booth/Brennan dynamic with the Jeffersonian "family" was the draw of this show, and everything seems so fragmented now.

Ah. Good point.

It doesn't make sense for it to be this way. 

This was better than last week, which I know is damning with faint praise. Caroline was her usual awesome self, the red-headed squintern wasn't too insufferable and nobody looked like they were sleep-walking this episode. I guess I'm in the minority, 'cause I kind of like Aubrey and I like how he and Booth are starting to develop a partnership.

Speaking of ... best exchange of the ep:

BOOTH: Philandering?

AUBREY: It's a word.

• Love 1

Brennan did just as much field work during her pregnancy as she did before it actually. She was pulling skeletons out of odd areas, examining them, and confronting potential killers just as much while pregnant as before, the fact that they didn't reduce her character because the actress was pregnant was a good part of the reason I was behind the whole thing.

I think it has much more to do with Aubrey, the writers know there is pretty much zero actual purpose to his character so instead of actually finding something of his own to do or writing him out they're sidelining Brennan and having Aubrey do all the things Brennan would normally do simply because they can't think of anything to make him valuable as a character in his own right.

I actually respected Brennan's claim at the beginning that she wasn't going to cater to the lowest common denominator by setting up a twitter account, only for her to do it anyway and to get into it to the point of obsession. Whatever one may think of twitter, a character should at least make a token attempt to stick to their values.

I don't think Aubrey is the problem.  When Booth and Brennan are on screen together they have no spark, no affection...he looks annoyed most of the time and she sounds like a hyper robot.    There used to be nuances and chemistry and emotion.    I can't figure out how they're going to explain this baby since I haven't seen the two of them touch each other in eons......

I mean, when they were at the diner and she got called back to the lab and Booth said something about their brief lunch there could have been SOME sort of emotion between the two, not just Brennan showing a sad frown. I thought they would at least kiss or nudge or SOMETHING.

They had way more chemistry as friends and I wish they would fix it pronto.

• Love 1

I don't think Aubrey is the problem.  When Booth and Brennan are on screen together they have no spark, no affection...he looks annoyed most of the time and she sounds like a hyper robot.    There used to be nuances and chemistry and emotion.    I can't figure out how they're going to explain this baby since I haven't seen the two of them touch each other in eons......

Good catch. I've been wondering on that tbh. At least some what. We haven't seen much on that front since the beginning of the season. IE: The make out scene. 

• Love 1

I may have missed a conversation, but did they ever say why her body was dumped in the abandoned bookstore?  What was its connection to him, her or both?

Also, this episode reminded me how tired I am of the word 'hashtag'.

• Love 1

I may have missed a conversation, but did they ever say why her body was dumped in the abandoned bookstore?  What was its connection to him, her or both?

Also, this episode reminded me how tired I am of the word 'hashtag'.

Same here. They kept on hitting me over the head with it O_o.

Last night tanked with a 1.1. The show just needs to wrap things up.

Agreed.

• Love 1

If they mentioned it, I missed it too.

And now the philandering boyfriend is going to inherit "their" property?