Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Primetime

It's official. Mary Jane and Kara need to just go and get married. They are too cute together and officially my favorite couple on this show lol Loved their victory dance and the scene together, dealing with the aftermath of Mary Jane "going rogue". Really good episode. Can't wait for the finale 

• Love 2

I just love this show, and I don't think it gets enough attention. It's so raw and real. I should have known that the David factor wasn't entirely over.

Lisa has got  some serious issues and I'm very interested in finding out more on her upbringing and background.

Can't wait till next week's finale.

• Love 2

Can't wait till next week's finale.

Already? I feel like the season needs more episodes. I don't think the issues raised this season: David, the future of Talk Back, Kara's relationship, Mark's issues, MJ's possible infertility, and the family's issues, can all be resolved in 1 episode.

• Love 1

The finale is two hours, I think from 9-11. But I agree, I could use at least 3 more episodes but it looks like they do 12. This last one was episode 10  and I guess the two hour finale counts as 2 episodes.

• Love 2

Is the reveal going to be that Lisa and David were more involved than previously stated or something? Yes, I agree with the posters who say there needs to be more episodes. I cribge to think it will be like Empire's finale; throw everything into one big lackluster, anti-climatic pike to just get it done.

That is "pile" not "pike."

• Love 1

I just love this show, and I don't think it gets enough attention. It's so raw and real. 

It's very real. To the point, where I find myself cringing and uncomfortable at some of the things the characters say and do. But that's real life for you. We all have friends that we watch do things that we know that they shouldn't. One of the things I like about MJ is that she is far from perfect and still getting it together, which is most of us. 

• Love 2

I liked the prime time interview MJ did with that author.  The problem with the "news" today is that there are so many news channels that it's the guests that have to be catered to, if someone asks questions that are too tough, people won't go on that news show.  Back when there were only 3 networks, the reporters called the shots.  

So what we have now are anchorwomen wearing cocktail dresses asking soft-ball questions and everybody's happy because everybody's asleep.  I'd laugh if the ratings actually went UP and people wanted more MJ.  I know I would, I hate softball questions; I believe that if you go on a news program, expect the tough questions, if you don't want tough questions, stay your ass home.

• Love 5

I'm trying to remember last season and maybe I'll watch it on Netflix to refresh my memory, but this season really does feel different from last. I think that Mara Brock Akil has decided to use this show not only to show a flawed Black woman, but that she's going to use this show as a platform to discuss issues that are specific to people of color in the U.S. (as seen by the TV show booking real life people to discuss real life concerns on the fictional SNC, as we saw with Ron Finley this week and Michaela Angela Davis and Mark Anthony Neal on last week's show). Mara Brock Akil's got the perfect platform in MJ's job as a cable news journalist to get this done.

I have to say that when MJ started asking the tough questions to the writer of the charter school book, my face might have cracked just like the writer's when MJ told her that she saw an ugly Black woman, too! It was such "Boom!" moment that I wasn't expecting. I had to replay that entire interview immediately after it ended.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 1

I have to say that when MJ started asking the tough questions to the writer of the charter school book, my face might have cracked just like the writer's when MJ told her that she saw an ugly Black woman, too! It was such "Boom!" moment that i wasn't expecting. I had to replay that entire interview immediately after it ended.

Ha, yes. At first when MJ went off script, I groaned. But once she kept at it, I had to smile.  I may have even fist pumped.

Paul Jr better run away from that shady ass deal that developer offered.

I liked the prime time interview MJ did with that author.  The problem with the "news" today is that there are so many news channels that it's the guests that have to be catered to, if someone asks questions that are too tough, people won't go on that news show.  Back when there were only 3 networks, the reporters called the shots.  

So what we have now are anchorwomen wearing cocktail dresses asking soft-ball questions and everybody's happy because everybody's asleep.  I'd laugh if the ratings actually went UP and people wanted more MJ.  I know I would, I hate softball questions; I believe that if you go on a news program, expect the tough questions, if you don't want tough questions, stay your ass home.

I think this is what happens in the finale based on the episode description. I think the ratings went through the roof. Seems like "people" were bored when it was just topics on the black community but people love a good argument back and forth on just about any topic and you throw a bit of race into it "Ugly Black Woman" said to a white woman and it's Must See TV.  I know I was on the edge of my seat even though I found all her segments on Talk Back to be interesting with regard to the black community, that smack down was good.

So once again, while her private life looks like it's about to blow up again and not in a good way, she and Kara on the professional front are moving on up.

Kara does make her a better journalist, glad they have that kind of relationship where they can be honest and take each other's criticism. Because Kara did say that they've always made each other better.

Edited by represent

Ha, yes. At first when MJ went off script, I groaned. But once she kept at it, I had to smile.  I may have even fist pumped.

Yes, Paul Jr. run and keep on the path of trying to get your very own piece of the pie where you are the boss. Keep at it and in the mean time go with your daddy's connections.

• Love 1

Really hoping that Paul saw that "opportunity" for what it was- the developer's chance to put a Black face on her shady dealings in LA. I think he does, but he sounds awfully tempted so far, based on his conversation with his father.

I might be getting my episodes confused, but was this the one where MJ talks to her friend in the dress shop and finds out she (the dress lady) used to date Sheldon?

Regardless, Sheldon is all kinds of shady, but MJ seems to be (cautiously) falling under his spell. I don't like the smooth talk he uses with her--it comes across as pretentious and dishonest. And I don't like him saying outright that "we need to explore where this dating relationship is going." Why can't he just tell her that he loves talking to her on the phone because she stimulates his mind and his emotions? Still corny, but possibly more honest. And why doesn't he climax? It heightens his arousal? Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a man climaxes, isn't that the peak of his arousal? If Sheldon has difficulty ejaculating, which some men do, then why doesn't he come out and say it?

It's funny; last season I didn't like Kara or MJ's two brothers, but this season, they're my favorite characters on the show. I still like Shaft. I never liked Mama Shug Avery, and I still don't. MJ is flawed, but relatable, I guess. Although she's one of the characters that I know I wouldn't like at all in real life.