Type keyword(s) to search

Snack Foods: Sweet or Salty? What are your faves?

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

With the price of snack foods through the roof, I have taken to making popcorn from scratch.  Does anyone have a favorite brand/type of popcorn kernels?  I have been buying Amish Country medium white hull-less. 

Back at the start of the pandemic it was hard to find bagged microwave popcorn. I have a Nordic Ware microwave popper. I used Orville popcorn and it was okay. Cost be damned, I use Orville bagged butter microwave. I've got a large box I got from Amazon. It's so much better than popping plain popcorn and doctoring it up.

On 7/24/2024 at 7:41 PM, Mittengirl said:

With the price of snack foods through the roof, I have taken to making popcorn from scratch.

That's how I've always made mine, and never noticed a difference among brands, so I just go with the store brand.

• Like 2
(edited)

I made my own hummus, because I had chickpeas to use up.  I’ve been eating it with crackers, and preferring that to any sort of bread, at the moment.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
On 12/18/2021 at 9:37 PM, Leeds said:

I love cheese and apple as a "snack" (often more like a meal really!).  I'm in the Pacific Northwest and spoiled for choice when it comes to both apples and cheese.  Pears are likely to make an appearance too during the season.

I ordered a nice cheese board for a small get-together.  It was delicious.  There were grapes, maracona almonds, pickles, olives, and some salami and six cheeses. And fig jam.  No pears, but they would have been a good addition. 

On 7/27/2024 at 3:17 PM, Anela said:

I made my own hummus, because I had chickpeas to use up.  I’ve been eating it with crackers, and preferring that to any sort of bread, at the moment.  

Yeah, homemade hummus is so much better than prepared brands. 

• Like 2
On 7/30/2024 at 5:36 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I ordered a nice cheese board for a small get-together.  It was delicious.  There were grapes, maracona almonds, pickles, olives, and some salami and six cheeses. And fig jam.  No pears, but they would have been a good addition. 

I do find pears hard (no pun intended) because of the ripeness factor.  I usually ask one of the people putting out produce.  (I'm a bit of a food snob, but frankly I'd rather pay more for less waste and better taste.  Hey, that rhymes!  Maybe I can trade it for food as a jingle at my favorite store?)

• Like 4

I’ve just been snacking on cream cheese by itself, or on crackers.  Sharp cheddar on crackers, or with sliced onion. I need to make more hummus, but I ran out of chickpeas   

potato chips, Doritos, and starburst gummies.  I grabbed sour ones last night, by accident. 

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I’ve just been snacking on cream cheese by itself, or on crackers.  Sharp cheddar on crackers, or with sliced onion. I need to make more hummus, but I ran out of chickpeas   

potato chips, Doritos, and starburst gummies.  I grabbed sour ones last night, by accident. 

Cream cheese on Ritz crackers or graham crackers.  Great snacks. 

• Like 2
On 8/24/2024 at 6:39 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Cream cheese on celery or cream cheese on cucumber slices is also good! (If you have some, a little bit of smoked salmon on the top of the cream cheese makes the whole thing into the perfect snack as far as I am concerned). I can eat cream cheese right out of the package with a spoon I like it so much.

• Like 3
On 8/25/2024 at 7:48 PM, isalicat said:

Cream cheese on celery or cream cheese on cucumber slices is also good! (If you have some, a little bit of smoked salmon on the top of the cream cheese makes the whole thing into the perfect snack as far as I am concerned). I can eat cream cheese right out of the package with a spoon I like it so much.

Sounds like me with hummus.  Though I much prefer it when there isn't TOO much tahini.

• Like 2
On 8/27/2024 at 10:31 AM, PRgal said:

Sounds like me with hummus.  Though I much prefer it when there isn't TOO much tahini.

You've just reminded me that I bought dried chickpeas, to make my own hummus, but I haven't soaked them yet. I have everything I need to make a basic hummus. 

• Like 3

I don't like chickpeas (I pretty much hate all beans), so I only like hummus if it has plenty of other stuff flavoring it.  Same with sour cream -- I hate it on its own, but if used as a base for enough strong flavors that I like, I am perfectly happy with the resulting dip.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't like chickpeas (I pretty much hate all beans), so I only like hummus if it has plenty of other stuff flavoring it.  Same with sour cream -- I hate it on its own, but if used as a base for enough strong flavors that I like, I am perfectly happy with the resulting dip.

I don’t really like beans, either. I don’t like cup while chickpeas, and if I’m eating bean burritos, I use plenty of hot sauce, and add other things, depending on the beans. I like baked beans with potatoes, or on toast. 

On 8/24/2024 at 7:39 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I put it in halves of mini peppers, great snack!

• Like 2