Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Conquer

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Don't remind me....*lets our long suffering moderator sigh*

I still have no idea how you people manage that many posts in one hour, while paying attention to the actual show. That's why I can't live post. I have to actually pay attention to what's one screen. But I agree, I like the discussions afterward about the episode. Makes it all the better, tbh.

However, CletusMusashi, you totally forgot about the record you guys pulled off a few weeks ago. For the actual episode thread Forget (S05:E13:), you guys managed over 1000 posts in FOUR days. I believe that is the record here (in TWD board). So count me surprised that the season finale isn't as busy as I thought it would be (still is busy).

Maybe one of you should organize a little rewatch schedule/plan or something!

I'm up for it......... 

As long as I get to kiss a pretty lady on the cheek and then engage her in an 'eye sex' stare down, as she hands off a baby to me (that isn't mine, and I'd be stuck searching for the parents, cause I'd have no idea who the baby belonged to)

• Love 1

I'm up for it.........

As long as I get to kiss a pretty lady on the cheek and then engage her in an 'eye sex' stare down, as she hands off a baby to me (that isn't mine, and I'd be stuck searching for the parents, cause I'd have no idea who the baby belonged to)

Don't forget the 'How to win friends and influence people,' speeches you get to give.

Best warm and fuzzy opening line. “You know, I was thinking, ‘How many of you do I have to kill to save your lives?" Well it does influence. In that help me, help you kind of way.

• Love 3

Don't forget the 'How to win friends and influence people,' speeches you get to give.

Best warm and fuzzy opening line. “You know, I was thinking, ‘How many of you do I have to kill to save your lives?" Well it does influence. In that help me, help you kind of way.

I'm gonna improvise and smush the speech parts together a bit;  "There's people and thangs out there that will come for this place, because we're here, they'll try to kill us.... at least those of you I don't kill first, to save the rest."

The more I think about that line, the more cracked it gets.  I mean, honestly, who says something like that!?  (other than Rick Grimes, of course)  I don't think even Gov.Brillip would have crossed that verbal line, even before mowing every one of 'his troops' down back in 4.16 "Welcome to the Tombs".

I could have seen Gareth using a version of that line;  "I'm wondering how many of you I'm going to have to serve up on the buffet line to save the rest of us?"

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

Only Madeline and Operations could fully appreciate Rick Grimes at his point. I would have been more shocked at Rick Grimes speech if Maggie had not already established the standard of, "he didn't shoot you." Which later, Rick did do, to someone. So I guess we need some sort of euphemism for Ricks actions. Reminds me of the West Wing let Bartlet be Bartlet. At times we need to let Rick be Rick. Well you know that's just RbR, Rick being Rick.

• Love 3

Only Madeline and Operations could fully appreciate Rick Grimes at his point. I would have been more shocked at Rick Grimes speech if Maggie had not already established the standard of, "he didn't shoot you." Which later, Rick did do, to someone. So I guess we need some sort of euphemism for Ricks actions. Reminds me of the West Wing let Bartlet be Bartlet. At times we need to let Rick be Rick. Well you know that's just RbR, Rick being Rick.

I think its even funnier when you put it all together. 

Carol goes on about how Rick saves them from really bad people, and he 'feels' the things he does & has to do;  Maggie goes on about him being a family-first man and turned all of CDB in to a big 'family unit'; and then of course, Abe chimes in with his 'Rick knows his shit-fest' blurb... and then in comes a re-bloody-faced Rick, fireman-carrying a dead walker, while firing off the "wondering how many I gotta kill to save your lives?" line. 

If you stop and think about it with a crazily morbid sense of humor, its freaking hilarious comedic timing. 

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

I think its even funnier when you put it all together. 

Carol goes on about how Rick saves them from really bad people, and he 'feels' the things he does & has to do;  Maggie goes on about him being a family-first man and turned all of CDB in to a big 'family unit'; and then of course, Abe chimes in with his 'Rick knows his shit-fest' blurb... and then in comes a re-bloody-faced Rick, fireman-carrying a dead walker, while firing off the "wondering how many I gotta kill to save your lives?" line. 

If you stop and think about it with a crazily morbid sense of humor, its freaking hilarious comedic timing. 

Yep.  Right up there with the first Lethal Weapon movie when, right after the Chief Bad Guy has just finished delivering his "There are no more heroes" line, Mel Gibson comes busting through the door and hits the baddies with a dead guy.  Classic.

• Love 1

Hey Everyone. Just a quick heads up about all of the season 5 episodes. If you are looking for them on the main page and going "OMG!! Where are they!", all of the episode threads have been moved into the S05 subforum.

To find them, either on the main Walking Dead page, look UP (near the top of the page) and you'll see Past Seasons, and individual link to S01 through S05. To find the actual episode threads for season 5, click S05 to find them. Or you can click here. Past Seasons/S05

On the main page, I've left two links to the actual episode thread as a shortcut to that folder.  The shortcut is the episode name, and a grey arrow pointing left. This will be here temporarily just as a helpful link to S05, but I will be removing it in about a week. Also, the links cannot be pinned, so won't appear at the top of the page, unfortunately.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, since it looks like your episode threads suddenly disappeared!!! Thanks.

• Love 1

Heavy sigh.  That just hits home; Sunday nights without TWD and y'all for a looooong time.  :-(

Oh, so, what?  We're not good enough for you when TWD is not on the boob tube?? 

Pssh.  Don't mind our bruised feelings.......  actually, I don't have any feelings at all, so no harm done.   ;-)

• Love 2

Pssh.  Don't mind our bruised feelings.......  actually, I don't have any feelings at all, so no harm done.   ;-)

No, you silly zombie; I just meant on the Season 5 threads.  Come on over to the Small Talk thread (said the spider to the fly).  :-)

• Love 1

No, you silly zombie; I just meant on the Season 5 threads.  Come on over to the Small Talk thread (said the spider to the fly).  :-)

Ahhh, gotcha. 

(is that a promise that I'll get snared in your web?  .... just for clarification, this isn't a 'Rick Grime's Rules to the ZA' thing; ie, "if you don't fight, you die", is it??)   :-P

• Love 1

Ahhh, gotcha. 

(is that a promise that I'll get snared in your web?  .... just for clarification, this isn't a 'Rick Grime's Rules to the ZA' thing; ie, "if you don't fight, you die", is it??)   :-P

I make no promises, and thus, cannot disappoint anyone but myself.  ;-)

However, the Small Talk thread is a lively and most welcoming place to wait out the TWD hiatus. No rules (other than "Don't Be a Porch Dick").

Nielsen released its Live + 7 Viewing ratings for Cable TV Shows March 23-29, 2015, and "The Walking Dead grew the most in viewers, adding 5.642 million viewers to its Live + Same Day viewers," for a total of 21.426 million viewers.

"Conquer" indeed!

• Love 3

I gave up feelings for Lent.

In 1986.

The fact I was married in December of 1985 was just a coincidence, I'm sure.

• Love 5

I gave up feelings for Lent.

In 1986.

The fact I was married in December of 1985 was just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Ha. 

Probly not supposed to 'cross-post' with different shows, but I'd be more like

(s6[A]) "Soul-less Sam" from Supernatural.

Ahhh, gotcha. 

I just have to ask: has anyone pointed out how similar Rick's proclamation, "If you don't fight, you die." is to the Governor's equally catchy, "In this life now you kill or you die. Or you die and you kill."  If this has been noted ad nauseam, you have my sincerest apologies.

Edited by JBody
  • Love 6

I just have to ask: has anyone pointed out how similar Rick's proclamation, "If you don't fight, you die." is to the Governor's equally catchy, "In this life now you kill or you die. Or you die and you kill."  If this has been noted ad nauseam, you have my sincerest apologies.

Good catch.  Never really stopped to think about it, but you're right.  It is eerily similar, in not only meaning, but tone.

• Love 1

Good catch.  Never really stopped to think about it, but you're right.  It is eerily similar, in not only meaning, but tone.

Thanks.  I've been meaning to post that but now we're at 17 pages and I thought it must have come up somewhere along the way and didn't want to be *that* poster who has stated the obvious for the millionth time.

I guess the meaning and tone is meant to be reminiscent of the Governor to hammer home the "dark Rick" tangent they've been on for a while.  

• Love 1

I don't really see them as the same, fighting is different than killing. Tyrese lost his will to continue fighting, and he ended up dying because of it. Prior to that, I don't remember Tyrese killing anyone. Unlike the Gov who killed people constantly, often unnecessarily.

Oh yeah, I agree.  Also think Morgan would agree too.  He fought the Wolves, he did not kill them.  Same as Tyreese fought Martin, he did not kill him.  And both Wolves and Martin were shown to come back and cause major problems later because they were fought with, not killed.  So, I think the writers are telling us something.  Maybe Rick needs to edge on closer to the Governor's side before he and his family will be truly safe.

• Love 2

Oh yeah, I agree.  Also think Morgan would agree too.  He fought the Wolves, he did not kill them.  Same as Tyreese fought Martin, he did not kill him.  And both Wolves and Martin were shown to come back and cause major problems later because they were fought with, not killed.  So, I think the writers are telling us something.  Maybe Rick needs to edge on closer to the Governor's side before he and his family will be truly safe.

I'm sure that whatever put Morgan "on the right path" was a huge 'game changer' for him, but I have no doubt in my mind that his new philosophy regarding the living (& not killing them) will come back to bite him in the ass, big time.  And unfortunately, if it isn't him reaping them personally, it'll be Rick/CDB that will pay the consequences.

And this is not even just the Wolves, but beyond them as well.

• Love 4
(edited)

Haven't read all replies yet, but gotta ask if there was blood on the katana Pete had before he killed Reg?  Watching again, I believe there was.  Who is dead or injured now I wonder.  

Edited by kelslamu

So Deanna is willing to take action when her family member is hurt or killed, but not when someone in her community experiences the same thing? SMH. I do wonder why she’s the final decision maker. Shouldn’t they have a vote on what should be done instead of her making the final decisions? They are after all trying to build a community.

This!  I mean I guess these people would follow the rules when they were first allowed in.  At some point, however, I would think someone would want to make it more democratic.  Her reference to communism wasn't cool either.  I forget which ep that was in.

This!  I mean I guess these people would follow the rules when they were first allowed in.  At some point, however, I would think someone would want to make it more democratic.  

Yes, but the ASZhats haven't reached that point yet - or at least they hadn't before CDB rang their doorbell. Leaders and followers are a simple fact of human nature, even when the leaders in question aren't that great.

Most folks gravitate toward the easy - and generally speaking, it's a lot easier to sit back and grouse about the decisions being made by The Powers That Be, than be the person making those decisions. Outside of themselves or their immediate family, most people avoid that level of responsibility. So if someone else steps up and takes the reins, the default response - barring any strong contraindications such as insanity, naked power lust, or fear of personal reprisal - is to let them.

Although this part of the ASZ backstory has not yet been fully fleshed out, I strongly suspect when the military convoy dumped them in Alexandria and toddled on down the road, the initial crowd of ASZhats stood around in clumps talking in voices rising in both panic and volume - until Deanna (or some other now-dead predecessor) stood up and called for everyone to settle down and listen.

And they settled down.

And they listened.

And for the most part, they've been doing it ever since.

Same for new arrivals, because the way we've been doing things has kept us alive so far. If you don't like it, you can leave - there's the door, have fun and God bless.

I also strongly suspect CDB is the first group of sufficient strength AND size to realistically look at the two options presented (conform or leave) and say, "Actually, there's a third choice - but I don't think you're gonna liiiike it...."

• Love 2

hat meeting at the end was so damn frustrating because...no one talks like that. No one communicates in so many half sentences that are as vague as possible. "The things we've seen....terrible things....things you haven't seen..." Jesus. EXPLAIN. Tell them very specifically about the things, about Terminus and the Governor, tell them about how Grady operated, tell them about the biker gang that almost raped Carl. Tell them how Lori had to have her baby cut out of her and Carl had to put her down. Tell them about Noah's community and the Unfair Wolves. Tell them about how everyone is already infected. Use your words.

I just finished Season 5 and so much this. I kept saying that from the second they arrived in Alexandria. Stop talking vaguely and just tell these idiots what you've been through. Spell it out! This stuff always drove me insane on 'Lost' too where no one ever asked a damn follow up question.

Overall though I really enjoyed this season. I always forget how much i like this show until I finally start binge walking a season on Netflix!