Type keyword(s) to search

Continued Adventures: The Fanfic Thread

• Start Topic

DE -- How did I never know that Snowbound existed? Saving that for later! And how did I miss all your fic? I may have to start reaching past AO3 on a more regular basis.

Dianthus -- Also saving for later. Maybe it will finally motivate me to actually start watching Buffy like I keep saying I will. :)

So I keep thinking I need to start a tumblr at some point to house my fic as well. I have a LiveJournal that I still post fic too, but it's obviously not as popular. So how often -- or at all -- do you guys use tumblr to get fic recommendations or follow your favorite authors or that sort of thing?

DE -- How did I never know that Snowbound existed? Saving that for later! And how did I miss all your fic? I may have to start reaching past AO3 on a more regular basis.

Dianthus -- Also saving for later. Maybe it will finally motivate me to actually start watching Buffy like I keep saying I will. :)

So I keep thinking I need to start a tumblr at some point to house my fic as well. I have a LiveJournal that I still post fic too, but it's obviously not as popular. So how often -- or at all -- do you guys use tumblr to get fic recommendations or follow your favorite authors or that sort of thing?

Yeah, I check the CS FF tag several times a day for new stuff.. By several times a day I may actually mean several times an hour...

• Love 1

Yeah, I mainly use tumblr (and this thread) for my fic dose.

• Love 1

Could someone please post links to Snowbound and Kindred Spirits? Too lazy to look it up. Thanks! :-p

sharky--you should totally join tumblr. It will increase your readership. I saw someone recommending your CS AU the other day.

Snowbound can be found here. :)

And I've read the first chapter and it's awesome and I would read all of it tonight if I wasn't about to pass out. Guess that means it's going to be a good weekend treat!

Yeah, I check the CS FF tag several times a day for new stuff.. By several times a day I may actually mean several times an hour...

^ This.  Definitely the best way to get the most bang for your buck, as far as exposure to new stories/authors goes.  The CS FF tag is a treasure trove.  And don't forget #CS Bangarang.  Sometimes it takes a bit more sifting through on that one (there's only so much unapologetic smut I can handle - definitely NOT the whack/kink stuff!  But there have been some damn good stories I've found off that tag).

Really? Holy crap! Alright, you all have convinced me. Another weekend project on my lost. Thanks for the responses!

Once you get your tumblr set up tell me so I can follow you. I am daxx04 shockingly.

• Love 4

Snowbound can be found here. :)

Thanks for the link, Dani-Elle! I've favorited it, and will be reading it shortly... :-)

@Rumsy4 : Sorry, not too tech savvy. Lst time I tried postin a link (to Give the Boy a Hnd), it didn't sem to be working.

No worries, I found it! Btw, you can just copy paste the url, and not worry about fancy links. For exmple: http://archiveofourown.org/works/2138745

Wish granted!  I'm gonna have to reread the last few chapters, so I'm up to speed again.  Not that that's any woeful task, lol.

Hehe. It was another good chapter! Loving BtH.

@Dani-Ellie, I'm really enjoying "Snowbound". The two most recent chapters (6 & 7) in particular I just wanted to hold them and hug them and squeeze them and keep them in my pocket :)

@RadioGirl27, If you're enjoying "Snowbound", you should read the rest of Dani-Ellie's fics. They're all good. A friend of mine got me into them and "Watch Over Me" and "Operation Ladybug" are among my favorite fics. 

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 1

Dani-Ellie, I appreciate how family friendly your fictions are.  They are both well written and true to character.  I find that combination of attributes sadly lacking in a lot of fanfiction.

(and by "both" i don't mean two fictions, I mean all of them have both of those attributes...)

• Love 2

Wow, thank you all so much!

A friend of mine got me into them and "Watch Over Me" and "Operation Ladybug" are among my favorite fics.

I still can't get over how "Watch Over Me" pretty much just exploded. When I saw all the notifications on it rolling in, I was all, "o_O."

Dani-Ellie, I appreciate how family friendly your fictions are.  They are both well written and true to character.  I find that combination of attributes sadly lacking in a lot of fanfiction.

Thank you for this. I try very hard to keep everyone in character, and there are certainly some characters I'm better with than others. (There's a reason why Rumple and Regina only show up when I need them. ;)) It's nice to hear that it is all working the way I intended.

• Love 2

OK, so I signed up for tumblr, but now what the hell do I do? It looks like most people include their fics in an actual post, but I would rather just put my summaries in a post with links to the stories on FF.net and AO3. Is this acceptable or am I a horrible person for doing so? Also, it seems like there are plenty of fics that I may just want to bookmark or such to read later. Is that what that little heart icon is for? Or can anyone recommend a good way to do that? I just want to keep my page clean so it's mainly just my fic and not do a bunch of reblogs if I don't have to.

Also, anyone know of a good general tumblr tutorial? Lots of questions, I know, but I totally feel like that old lady who's trying to hang out with the "cool" girls.

OK, so I signed up for tumblr, but now what the hell do I do? It looks like most people include their fics in an actual post, but I would rather just put my summaries in a post with links to the stories on FF.net and AO3. Is this acceptable or am I a horrible person for doing so? Also, it seems like there are plenty of fics that I may just want to bookmark or such to read later. Is that what that little heart icon is for? Or can anyone recommend a good way to do that? I just want to keep my page clean so it's mainly just my fic and not do a bunch of reblogs if I don't have to.

Also, anyone know of a good general tumblr tutorial? Lots of questions, I know, but I totally feel like that old lady who's trying to hang out with the "cool" girls.

Here's a page with some basic tumblr rules. To that I'll add--check your activities page--you can keep track when people respond and tag you in a post. You'll get the hang of it soon. :-)

You can just post links to your fics with summaries--there are people who do just that. 

The heart icon is for likes, but they'll pile up! The best way to keep track is to use a tag like "fic rec" when you reblog the link. When you search the tag on your blog page, all the posts tagged with "fic rec" will come up. Or, you can make a separate "Fic Rec" page, like I did. 

Btw, I couldn't find you. What's your exact url? 

Edited by Rumsy4

Rumsy -- That tutorial is awesome. I'll start digging into that. Thanks for the suggestions! I just feel like I'm already posting fic on FF and AO3 and don't need to add another place to find the full story when I can funnel people to one of those two places.

See if this URL works and know there is absolutely nothing on the page except a nav bar.

http://athenascarlet.tumblr.com

Edited by sharky
  • Love 3

That's pretty much how I post my fics, and no one has complained to me yet. ;)  Honestly, one of my Tumblr buddies had some fic of hers plagiarized and posted on FF .net. I know a lot of people like to keep their fic on Tumblr, but it just seems to easy to steal someone's work that way, and I haven't figured out how to tinker with the code on my blog to alter my template, so I post mine on FF .net, where they have to really work more at it to take something of mine. I'm gradually putting more of my stuff on Ao3, but not everything has been been added to there yet. I think the only writing I haven't added off-site from Tumblr are some drabbles and a multi-chapter for a crackship. 

• Love 1

Rumsy -- That tutorial is awesome. I'll start digging into that. Thanks for the suggestions! I just feel like I'm already posting fic on FF and AO3 and don't need to add another place to find the full story when I can funnel people to one of those two places.

See if this URL works and know there is absolutely nothing on the page except a nav bar.

http://athenascarlet.tumblr.com

Thank for the link. I'm already following you.

• Love 1

That's pretty much how I post my fics, and no one has complained to me yet. ;)  Honestly, one of my Tumblr buddies had some fic of hers plagiarized and posted on FF .net. I know a lot of people like to keep their fic on Tumblr, but it just seems to easy to steal someone's work that way, and I haven't figured out how to tinker with the code on my blog to alter my template, so I post mine on FF .net, where they have to really work more at it to take something of mine. I'm gradually putting more of my stuff on Ao3, but not everything has been been added to there yet. I think the only writing I haven't added off-site from Tumblr are some drabbles and a multi-chapter for a crackship. 

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely keep that in mind since I was actually plagiarized as well on FF. Is your friend msgenevieve? The two of us got hit at the same time and I still have no idea why I was included considering she's a much more prolific Once writer. Oh well. I do have to say though that I would've never known if it weren't for a FF reader sending me a note about it. For as much as things can get contentious among the fandom on other things -- look no further than the recent Swan Queen dust up -- I've found the Once fanfic community to be really inviting and supporting and awesome.

Thanks for the follows, everyone!

For as much as things can get contentious among the fandom on other things -- look no further than the recent Swan Queen dust up -- I've found the Once fanfic community to be really inviting and supporting and awesome.

Same here. I've been writing fanfic a good long time now and I've never had the kind of reader response I've had with the Once readers. Everyone's been so wonderful, from leaving really lovely reviews to trading PMs back and forth.

• Love 1

Yes, Sharky, it was. I didn't realize anyone else's work had been plagiarized around that time, too. Yikes! Glad everything got straightened out all right for you guys, but it sucks that it happened at all.

And I, too, have found the community to be very helpful and supportive for the most part, especially my buddies on Tumblr.

Edited by FanaticalWriter
  • Love 1

Awesome! You dorks have gotten me addicted to tumblr now. Thanks I guess?

I'll be off to read Peace I Leave later. I still like it, but it seems to be taking forever to finish. Like are we getting to the end at some point or what? Or have one-shots lessened my attention span for long fics?

I'll be off to read Peace I Leave later. I still like it, but it seems to be taking forever to finish. Like are we getting to the end at some point or what? Or have one-shots lessened my attention span for long fics?

I don't mind long fics, but you know, I wasn't really feeling this chapter of Peace. Several things about the events/characters seemed off. Or maybe that's just me. 

Put Me In Coach is updated! I came here first before reading so I can't tell you how good or bad it is. I just like you guys that much.

I was having a shitty afternoon and this made it so much better. This fic is so good!!

• Love 2

*happy sigh*  That chapter was just perfect.  I absolutely love the world BK has built in this story.  I totally expect Killian to snag Emma in the hallway at Grannies and whisper, "I like you, Swan.  Do you like me?", on the show now.  In fact, if Once were like this fic, I'd be in heaven!  I also really loved how she made Emma do quite a bit of soul searching and self-reflection in these past few chapters, because she was pretty damn brutal to him.  Yes, we all know she's got horribly justifiable relationship issues from her past, but I often think that is used as an excuse to handwave some really hurtful things she's done to others (in this fic, or on the show).  Glad she realized it this time around.

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 4

I left my desk at work, curled up in one of the comfy chairs in the breezeway to read this. Hee. Well I always work through lunch so this is a fair trade off I think. Needed this after a shitty week.

• Love 3

I never thought I'd become a fan of fanfic, but damn it do I love this fic! It's the perfect little getaway for the hiatus.

I left my desk at work, curled up in one of the comfy chairs in the breezeway to read this.

Hee. I totally read it during my lunch break too, daxx.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

Did you ever start working on a fic, and the first chapter is at 5000 words, and it's still not close to being done, and you want to quit? That's where I'm at right now with this new CS story. I have half a mind to finish chapter 1 and post it as complete. But it doesn't fulfil the six-part theme I chose for the story (which is why I started writing the story in the first place), and now I don't know what to do. I don't have time to write two huge multi-chapter stories. I want to go back and just work on my Neverland fic now. I am so sad... 

Edited by Rumsy4

Stories go where they want to go sometimes, so just because it doesn't fit what you'd planned, there's no reason not to post it if you think what you've done can stand alone!

It has a min-arc, and resolution for the chapter, so in that sense it can stand alone. Maybe I just need to take a break from that story and I'll feel differently later. 

Rumsy -- How are you writing your stories? I only ask because I've started to do multi-chapters in one document file. It kind of sucks when you have to wait a bit for 20K words to open in my Google Drive, but it's easy to mess with chapter breaks this way. That way, if I find a chapter should be ending or starting somewhere else, I can fiddle better with the file. Also, just because you have a "six" theme now doesn't mean you have to stick with it. Perhaps as you write the story, you find a "ten" chapter theme emerge or something. I say write it and see where it leads you. That's half the fun anyway, right?