Type keyword(s) to search

Continued Adventures: The Fanfic Thread

• Start Topic

onelook.com might be a good place to start. If you type in "Never *" or "* never" or something like that, it will give you common phrases with that word. I also go with music lyrics sites to see if a word can jog an idea.

I trying to come up with an interesting name for my Neverback fic. Any suggestions? It's going to cover a lot of the events we wished the Show had covered, plus some initial Milah+Hook stuff. Chapter 1 is with my beta right now. I'm so excited to get this going! 

Neighborly Affection and Under the Crimson Flag have been updated.

Titles, Neverback. Hmmm. The Malevolent Heart. Thinking of revenge driven, death wish Hook of course.

(edited)

I don't know if this will really fit with your content, but I like these two quotes from the book, "Never is an Awfully Long Time" and "Never Say Goodbye" from the longer quote, "Never say goodbye because saying good-bye means going away and going away means forgetting.” Or "Going Round and Round" from the quote, “They were going round and round the island, but they did not meet because all were going at the same rate."

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 1

I'm hoping some of you lovely Oncers can give me some reading recommendations: I'd really like to find a fic that plays with the massive multi-character fairytale crossover of Once a bit and has meaty parts for supporting characters. I do have a few shipping caveats: No mention of SwanQueen, no Swanfire as a present day couple, no splitting up of Snowing or any of the Disney!Canon couples (so no Sleeping Warrior) etc.  Rumpbelle splitting up is fine though so long as neither ends up with Regina. Marion being still dead or broken up with Robin is fine too. Something in the vein of "In The Shadow of the Toll Bridge" minus

The weird shipping of Emma and Phillip.

would be awesome.

Also almost anything with Ariel and/or Eric as long as it's not a deconstruction or romantically pairing them with other people would make me happy too.

(edited)

I don't know if this will really fit with your content, but I like these two quotes from the book, "Never is an Awfully Long Time" and "Never Say Goodbye" from the longer quote, "Never say goodbye because saying good-bye means going away and going away means forgetting.” Or "Going Round and Round" from the quote, “They were going round and round the island, but they did not meet because all were going at the same rate."

Great ideas, InsertWordHere! I may well go for a book quote. Thanks!

I'm hoping some of you lovely Oncers can give me some reading recommendations: I'd really like to find a fic that plays with the massive multi-character fairytale crossover of Once a bit and has meaty parts for supporting characters.

Karmacanary's CS fics usually have a large supporting cast of ONCE characters. She's just started another CS fic with Blackbeard in it! I enjoyed the MemoryKeeper series, but It is What it Isn't is pretty good too.

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/5316748/karmacanary

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

SilverShadow, if you find a good multi-character fic, please let me know, because I've been looking for something like that as well. Toll Bridge had so much promise in the beginning, but it eventually lost my interest. Have you read Moats and Boats and Waterfalls? While it focuses on the Charming Family, there's also some fairly big roles for a lot of the Season One supporting characters. Alas, it has not been updated for quite some time.

(edited)

Hey, does anyone know the etiquette for fanfic dumping on sites like FF and AO3? For example, I'm rethinking the idea of a Once series at AO3 so I'm going to break out the three stand alone chapters of one fic into their own stories. So can I post them as two new ones at the same time or should I give a little breather between them even though they've been published before? And does it matter if I posted them earlier as something else in the Once tab? Are people going to be pissed if they realize they read it before? Of course, I would put an author note on them to help with that.

And what about old fic that I'm trying to archive on other sites? So I have a bunch of Office fanfic I want to move over from another site. Again, can I just do this all at once with a note about when and where it was originally pubbed or is it better to piece it out?

Edited by sharky

I don't know if there's specific etiquette, but I know I dislike it when I scroll through the list and see story after story by the same person, especially if it's a large dump. I'm only on ff.net but the Once section there moves quickly as it is; having a new or newly updated story pushed onto page 3 after like two hours because of a fic dump is annoying.

Breaking out chapters of a fic is something I've seen (especially if the fic is a series of one-shots and one particular chapter gets good reader response), and as long as the author's note explains that it's been extracted from Story X, I haven't seen it become an issue. Are you adding to the stories or just publishing them as stand-alones? Because that would be worth noting in the author's note as well, especially if you're going to be adding to it. Kind of like a "watch this space for more!" note.

• Love 1

Not a single update in my FF.net alerts today.

This may be the first time I have seen this.

Too much fangirling over a possible wardrobe change for a certain captain today?

• Love 1

So update on the reposting at AO3 [thanks for all the advice btw]. AO3 allows you to choose a pub date other than the current day if you want! So I broke those other stories out and backdated them. They're showing up in the archive but if you do a search by date, they'll be in April, which is when I originally posted them and when I decided to backdate them to. Pretty cool feature especially considering I have fanfics from another fandom that I want to migrate over.

Also, wanted to rec a Captain Swan fanfic called Lilac Wine [FF or AO3 link]. Very very very AU and some slight grammar and point-of-view issues, but it's cute and fluffy for a hiatus fic.

I feel you on the stalled fics. Seriously, when is Put Me In Coach going to update? Need my fix! So how long do you want? And how AU? I've been finding that the hiatus has brought out quite the extreme AU stories, which are actually good if you like that. I tend to shy away from it during the season but got desperate during this hiatus.

Lilac Wine - CS AU: Emma Swan is an international popstar who goes off the grid. Killian Jones works at a countryside hotel owned by his brother in the rural English village where Emma chooses to hide out. [not as cheesy as you would suspect AU]

Everyday I Write the Book - Post finale. There's some smut in there so be warned. The author is pretty prolific so check her author page for several one-shots as well if you want to go that route.

I Almost Do - The fix to Pan's curse goes wrong and Emma wakes up in an alternate Storybrooke.

And it may also be a good time to catch up on fics you missed the first time around. I have Crimson on my to-read list for that reason. I also have Rotten Heart and The Devil Makes Us Sin -- both seem to update pretty regularly, but I haven't started them yet so cant vouch for the quality.

Have you read broken souls mend hearts? It's long, real long. Some of the canon scenes I skimmed through since I have already read so many interpretations of them already. If you need more ideas here is is my rec list from Tumblr.

http://daxx04.tumblr.com/post/89232417804/updated-captain-swan-fic-recommendations

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9905481/1/Broken-Souls-Mend-Hearts

Daxx, it's funny that I just started Broken Souls Mend Hearts last night!  I'm liking it so far.  

Sharky, I'm currently following all of those you mentioned (seriously, I need the next installment of Put Me in Coach!!) except for Lilac Wine and The Devil Makes Us Sin.  I'll have to check them out.

Thanks!

Just by reading the summary, I will bet fifty million dollars that the "mysterious young woman" is their daughter from the future. Now I've got to read it to see if I'm right!

• Love 2
(edited)

For cryin' out loud, is anyone writing canon-based fic anymore?? Like, AUs are great if you like that kind of thing (which I really, really don't), but there's nothing wrong with a fic taking off from the end of the finale and speculating plotlines to come (which I really, really like). Or missing scenes fic (which goodness knows, this show has more than enough opportunities for those!) or post-eps or something that's not AU. If anyone knows of some of those, preferably Charming Family and/or Captain Swan oriented, please send them my way. :)

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 2

How AU would you consider AU? My latest is AU but still Storybrooke based so it's not crazy AU. In most cases, they aren't my cup of tea either but I'm so desperate for new fic that I'm reading more of those. I think it'll be different once the season starts -- I'll at least be doing more canon based at that point. I just need some new inspiration. :-)

(edited)

I prefer the stuff I read to mostly follow canon. Canon divergence is okay to a point, depending on what the plotline is. Mostly, I prefer the stuff that reads like it's just something we didn't get to see, stuff that can be plugged in between scenes or episodes and not change too much of anything on the actual show from that point forward.

For example, a little bit of deeper conversation amongst everyone following the Echo Cave is great for me, because it would be filling in holes. Emma declaring her love for Hook after the Echo Cave is not, because that would change too much of everything after the Echo Cave for my comfort.

I typically find the long hiatuses more inspiring because I can work on my own family/Captain Swan bonding pieces without having to worry that canon is going to screw it over in like, a week. There've been ideas I've actually held just to make sure canon wasn't going to screw them over! When canon screws it over after the fact, that's just the nature of the beast, but I do try to write as canon-compliant as I can.

(I realize I'm very picky. It's just that I read this stuff for the further adventures of the characters as they are. I don't really have an interest in reading different versions of these characters, especially considering there's so many emotional beats that the show has skipped over, which leaves so much to play with and still be canon-compliant. And some AUs are just so AU that they might as well be original fiction at that point.)

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 2
(edited)

And some AUs are just so AU that they might as well be original fiction at that point.)

I agree. If the writer is really good, I feel that I am getting to read a well-written novel for free. I do understand that AUs are not for everyone, though! I used to be picky like that, but not so much anymore.

ETA: Dani-Ellie, a lot of the fic writers post short canon fics and drabbles on tumblr alone. I (and most people here I believe) only tend to post recs to longer fics and/or AUs on this thread. That could be why you are missing out on some good ones. I've linked to the fic tags of some authors here--there are some really good canon-centric fics (some have smut), but you'll have to sift through the pages to find them: bemusedbicycle, i-know-how-you-kiss, ohmyohpioneer

Edited by Rumsy4

VickyVicarious is another great author for one-shot canon stuff.

Dani-Ellie, I totally understand where you're coming from. I only really started to delve into AU fics this summer because there don't seem to be too many writers updating during the hiatus so I'm taking what I can get. Some of it has been a good distraction and I actually like reading it because I'm not much of a novel reader anymore so it gives me a nice little distraction in small chunks until the season starts again. We'll see if I feel the same way in October. :)

I'm enjoying Adrift too, daxx, but Hook has seemed very OOC so far. 

Lovely chapter of "Beyond the Horizon" today. It soothed my soul after the heart-crushing "Put Me In" update from BK. 

• Love 2

I'm enjoying Adrift too, daxx, but Hook has seemed very OOC so far. 

Lovely chapter of "Beyond the Horizon" today. It soothed my soul after the heart-crushing "Put Me In" update from BK.

I am assuming Hook being OOC is a choice considering the storyline. But we'll see I suppose.

I am assuming Hook being OOC is a choice considering the storyline. But we'll see I suppose.

Quite likely. I am liking the concept so far.

In other news, BK has said that there are only 2 more chapters plus an epilogue left for Put Me In. I never want it to end. :-/ And I want more happy chapters. And a unicorn.

• Love 2

Hoping to get some more updates today. Leaving for vacation tomorrow. Cabin in the woods, no internet or TV. I need to download some fics to read. I should go back through my rec list and pick out a couple to reread I suppose.

Since I have already hit the canon divergents, princess Emma and cursed Killian fics pretty hard already can anyone recommend a good modern AU? No high school or college please.

I think I will reread What Could Have Been and Put Me In for starters.

Hoping to get some more updates today. Leaving for vacation tomorrow. Cabin in the woods, no internet or TV. I need to download some fics to read. I should go back through my rec list and pick out a couple to reread I suppose.

Since I have already hit the canon divergents, princess Emma and cursed Killian fics pretty hard already can anyone recommend a good modern AU?

Did you check my new CS fic recs page? Catchlight is a good modern AU.

Hope you have a good vacation!! :-)

• Love 1
(edited)

Did you check my new CS fic recs page? Catchlight is a good modern AU.

Hope you have a good vacation!! :-)

Checked your page and found several I haven't yet read.

Ugh, read ghost hook again and yes teared up again...

Already read catchlight, it is good!

Edited by daxx

Are you on AO3? I love the fact that you can download stories as PDFs to read offline. I got through several fics during a long flight that way. And I'm not sure about FF.net but you can sort AO3 by number of kudos or word count, which I use sometimes to find pieces I missed the first time around.

• Love 2
(edited)

Are you on AO3? I love the fact that you can download stories as PDFs to read offline. I got through several fics during a long flight that way. And I'm not sure about FF.net but you can sort AO3 by number of kudos or word count, which I use sometimes to find pieces I missed the first time around.

Can you download at FF.net?

Edited to add:

Thanks, @daxx

Edited by Mari
  • Love 1

Sharky, I did sort the various ways at both sites and downloaded about 30 multi chapter fics. Some I've read some I haven't like Four Seasons and neighborly affections.

Since I read and surf on my iPad I download to iBooks from both. I prefer to turn pages rather than scroll down anyway.

Mari you can save from FF using a site called ficsave.

• Love 2