Type keyword(s) to search

Continued Adventures: The Fanfic Thread

• Start Topic

Arandil, I've been keeping up with that Hook POV story and I really enjoy it. The author does a good job of making Hook sympathetic without resorting to sugar-coating his actions. My only worry is that the author's pace will soon outpace the show. Currently, the fanfic is not very far away from the start of the missing year, and we might not know the full story of Hook's year until the season finale.

I also love how the author has shown how intrigued Hook is by Emma without realizing that there are deeper feelings there, because I think it fits with canon and his great big lightbulb moment during/after the kiss.

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 2

I do think the author said she was slowing down until after the end of this season, just so we know everything before she posts. (I think I read that in one of her comments). Which is wise, because then your story doesn't get thrown all out of whack by some big surprise plot twist.

• Love 2

Awfully Big Adventure is my favorite canon multi chapter at this point. I am glad she is waiting to see what the show shows us before continuing on. I can make a few educated guesses about where they are going but they could throw a big monkey wrench in too. (pun intended)

• Love 1

I thought it might be a good idea to copy over some of the recommendations from TWoP...before it goes kaput.  There were some great links brought up over there, and I'd hate to lose them.  Captain Swan tends to be my preferred subject matter, so that's the bulk of what I'm going to link to.

My absolute favorite fic (by far and away!) is Walking on Water - an a/u Lieutenant Duckling.  It's absolutely flawless, and completely epic.  The author updates consistently, but there is usually a little wait.  Totally worth it, as the chapters are huge and the quality is high.  

Once Upon a Tweet - side-splitting recaps taking place during the hiatus and heading into recaps of 3B episodes.  Can't forget the hilarious Once Upon A Parody either!

Rumsy and KillerSharky's stuff is good.

Falling Through and its sequel (currently being updated) Somewhere to Land are really great.  I love this author's take on Hook and Emma.  And their future together in the Enchanted Forest is everything I'd hoped it'd be!

Other goodies: Any Means Necessary, Constant Bearing, Wednesday, The Path That Moonbeams Make, What Could Have Been, and Crimson.

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 4

Dang, Lieutenant, I have read all those you listed.

Also

When doves cry, lieutenant duckling AU

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10172983/1/When-Doves-Cry

The secret of drowning

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9113947/1/The-Secret-of-Drowning

The daring and the devious

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8918226/1/The-Daring-And-The-Devious

With its sequel of mirrors and marionettes

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9175413/1/Of-Mirrors-And-Marionettes

Peace I leave with you (I was surprised at how much I liked this one)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1167798

Oh so many more.

• Love 2

Peace I leave with you (I was surprised at how much I liked this one)

http://archiveofouro...g/works/1167798

By far the best Cursed-Hook and Priest-Killian AU, IMO. I still think it's weird that almost every Cursed-Hook story doesn't bother to give him a cursed name that's different from his actual name (I know that Jefferson and David kept their names, but their situations are different than a cursed-Hook's would be), but this one is so good that I'll overlook it.

• Love 1

Aw, thanks! Especially considering I'm going through a bit of writer's block right now. Grrr! All great recommendations too!

And agreed on Peace I Leave With You. As I mentioned in the other thread, there are a handful of priest!Killian fics out there -- I guess the opposite of a pirate is a priest? -- but this one actually does it well.

• Love 1

As I mentioned in the other thread, there are a handful of priest!Killian fics out there -- I guess the opposite of a pirate is a priest?

I really do think it fits. The pirate penchant for living by their own rules translates into the rule-abiding lifestyle of a priest. Pirates long for treasure, priests take vows of poverty. A Captain leads his crew and a priest guides his flock, and both can perform marriages. Hook is full of sexual innuendos and comes across as an extremely sensual person, [Catholic] Priests must remain celibate. Hook shows tons of chest hair, priests wear high clerical collars. Hook devotes his life to revenge, priests devote their lives to God. Then there's the Irish Catholic thing, even though Hook isn't "Irish." That's another thing I like about Peace, because its Killian is an Episcopalian priest, so the celibacy thing isn't an issue.

• Love 1

Is this it? I don't remember this one so will have to add another one to my list!
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8670759/1/Second-Star-to-the-Right

Also here is an awesome list someone compiled on tumblr of a bunch of recommended Captain Swan fic.
http://hookslovelyswan.tumblr.com/post/81154786972/could-you-make-a-list-of-some-of-your-favorite-cs-fics

And on a totally unrelated note, someone plagiarized one of my stories and reposted it as their own on FF.net. Wackiness. I reported it so we'll see what happens. I didn't realize I was held in such high regard that someone thought it would be cool to pass my work off as their own. They obviously haven't been reading OUAT fanfic very long if they think mine is the cream of the crop to copy. :P

(edited)

Ok, so Bemused Bicycle over on Tumblr just started up a new Captain Swan AU fic that I'm already obsessed with.  She's pretty much combined some of my favorite loves in life all into one:  Killian + baseball.  I didn't know how much I needed this, lol.  It's still so bloody cold in the dang Midwest, and I feel like spring is never gonna get underway.  And the baseball season just started *HALLELUJAH!*, so this fic is just perfect right now.  Too bad she's got him playing for for Pittsburgh, lol.  Though they are the "Pirates", so yeah...It's funny to see some of the other "Once" fellas popping up at teammates/staff in the story too.  Can't say I can picture Smee as a major league caliber first baseman - ha!  I'm excited to see where this story goes.

Put Me in Coach, I'm Ready to Play

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 3

Fanfic pet peeve that I've noticed a few times in recent days. If you write a 350-word one shot, you do not need 20 tags on the story! If the number of words in your tags matches the number of words in your story, you have too many tags.

Also does anyone have good post-Jolly Roger fics to recommend? I was thinking of writing one myself but there is a lot of it out there already. Unfortunately, I haven't found many good pieces.

Edited by sharky

Copy/paste from TWOP

If you are looking for some new fics I posted a rec list on tumblr. Not all are great but I did enjoy them.

I mostly posted the multi chapter and skipped the one shots.

Many (most) are rated mature.

Some are more mature than others, I personally will skip some of the more graphic scenes if I am still enjoying the story.

Just an FYI for those that are bothered by that sort of thing.

It does take a bit of time but if you wonderful folks could also post a rec list it would sure help with the hiatus. :)

I have been doing this a bit at a time in Evernote when someone on tumblr is asking for recs, I just finally finished it up today.

http://daxx04.tumblr...an-fic-rec-list

• Love 1
(edited)

So, as far as fic recs go, you can always check out my fave author or favorite fics list on fanfiction.net. I tend to be very sparing about who/what I favorite. I also enjoyed LizaCameron's fics from season 3 (they were sort of those missing scenes we want to see).

I also quite enjoy my own stories, but I might have a bias there. :) My big thing is I keep the characters in character, even if I diverge into AU territory (canon divergence, not completely AU). I have a few completed stories, one has a sequel now, and place where I also put "deleted scenes" where I feel the urge to write those scenes the show should really have given us but it was sacrificed for plot plot plot.

The only time I don't write in complete character is for Once Upon a Tweet which I co-author and you can only find on AO3 (under AtOnceUponSomeChaos), which is more crack!fic recapping via tweets (which goes against ff.net's policy, hence why only at AO3). For any that follow Tweet, we will be updating it again, don't worry. My co-author and my schedule have been out of sync lately. It should fill some nice hiatus time.

You can also find me on tumblr under this same name, but I don't typically post fics there, mostly just pretty gifs.

Edited by OnceUponSomeChaos

As someone who enjoys canon fic, I will be checking out your work, OnceUponSomeChaos. I've really enjoyed "Once Upon a Tweet" even though I hate Twitter! 

I'm working on a canon piece, and it can be hard sometimes because I question whether I'm staying true enough to the characters. It also involves lots of research (aka rewatching episodes). What a terrible burden that is!

I'm working on a canon piece, and it can be hard sometimes because I question whether I'm staying true enough to the characters. It also involves lots of research (aka rewatching episodes).

Would that be "To the End of the World". I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. I actually want chapter 1 to happen so badly when season 4 starts again.

Hey, all, go read it and then pester her to write more!

(edited)

Aww... thank you so much! I don't get many reviews on ff.net, so I'm not sure how many people are even reading my stories. I am planning a couple of CS fics over the hiatus--we'll see how that goes!

Edited by Rumsy4

For a change from Captain Swan (3B kinda soured me on them, I still like the ship, but I no longer feel like reading their fanfiction, unless it's in the vein of 3A, with less "puppy dog Hook" and more "belligerent sexual tension", so my question is - are there any well-written fics exploring the character of Ruby/Red? I don't really care about ships, so anything goes, unless it's femmeslash (just not my thing in general) or something really creepy, and having a plot of some kind is a big plus :) Probably something in the vein of "Red-handed" (still one of my favorite episodes of the show), tone-wise, or that "we're monsters" talk she had with Whale. I just miss her so much! 

Aww... thank you so much! I don't get many reviews on ff.net, so I'm not sure how many people are even reading my stories. I am planning a couple of CS fics over the hiatus--we'll see how that goes!

I'm new to fan fiction (I hate what this show has done to me) but I have read some of your stories and I like them (and I love they are short and complete). I'm saving the Jane Austen ones for the summer :-)

For a change from Captain Swan (3B kinda soured me on them, I still like the ship, but I no longer feel like reading their fanfiction, unless it's in the vein of 3A, with less "puppy dog Hook" and more "belligerent sexual tension", so my question is - are there any well-written fics exploring the character of Ruby/Red? I don't really care about ships, so anything goes, unless it's femmeslash (just not my thing in general) or something really creepy, and having a plot of some kind is a big plus :) Probably something in the vein of "Red-handed" (still one of my favorite episodes of the show), tone-wise, or that "we're monsters" talk she had with Whale. I just miss her so much! 

You'd think so, since Frankenwolf was such a popular ship at the time.

This is one reason why I prefer AO3 to FF.net. I usually don't know what to say in a review except "Cool!" or something else useless, and my replies aren't much more than a thanks. But AO3 let's you give Kudos, which I do quite often for pieces I like.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have read some of your stories and I like them (and I love they are short and complete). I'm saving the Jane Austen ones for the summer :-)

Thanks, Radiogirl! :-) The JA ones were the first fanfics I wrote, and am rather proud of them! haha 

But AO3 let's you give Kudos, which I do quite often for pieces I like.

It seemed such a bother to upload fic to yet another site, but I may do it. I signed up for the waitlist to be added to AO3.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1

There's a waitlist for AO3?  Man... that's crazy.  LOL.

I've stopped reading OUAT fan fiction for the time being, at least the serious, angsty ones.  I'll read the humor ones.  :)  *cough*Once Upon A Tweet*cough*

Nothing against the authors, but I have very little time right now with my own writing and several family vacations coming upon me swiftly.  I'll pick back up with it all in August once things have calmed in real life.  :)

Please, please keep your muses fed.  Nothing is better for the soul than that bit of creativity.

• Love 1

I was on the wait list at AO3 -- it took about a day or two so I don't know how much of a wait list it really is. And yea, I post on both sites and it is a pain but at least it maximizes your audience.

Wow!!!!

I seriously didn't know this stuff existed....how naive am I?

And I didn't realise how ...um... descriptive they could be... Made my ears blush.... WOW...

Yeah, some are that way. I far prefer the ones with more plot and characterization over the pure smut ones.

Yeah, some are that way. I far prefer the ones with more plot and characterization over the pure smut ones.

I don't mind smut in those stories that are very AU, but I don't like it very much in those that are more canon.

• Love 2

I dunno... I can't seem to get my head around the whole AU thing. I read one story whereby Hook and Ruby were siblings & Emma & Snow weren't related. It did my head in.

I do like the stories that have taken canon and have re-worked it. They are pretty cool - having someone else's perspective or take on the story we've been told.

I do think I freaked my kids out. Suddenly they wanted to have a whole conversation about fanfic. My wise 14 year old remarked, "you need to stay away from the M rated ones...they are just weird. Not that I have read any" Hmmm....

• Love 3

When I first started reading fanfic I stuck to canon or canon deviation. I have now branched out but really only to Enchanted Forest AU, lieutenant duckling AU's or cursed Killian in Storybrooke like 'Peace I Leave with You'.

I just don't have any real interest in modern AU at all.

Lately I have been reading a fair amount of Princess Emma, Captain Hook as well.

I dipped my toe into Dark Hook ( thanks Rumsy) but I am pretty choosy, I don't want my dark Hook too cutthroat or vicious, just piraty is fine. I started one awhile back and quit after two pages, far too bloody for my taste, same reason I don't read Batman comics.

I have a large list of recs previously in this thread for those interested.

I'm definitely not an AU fan either when it comes to serious AU like Professor!Killian or Stripper!Killian but I've become obsessed with Put Me In Coach for some reason. Love Baseball!Killian. But those take a special author to get them right.

Btw, one thing I love about this new forum is the fanfic thread isn't exiled off on its own island. Hope that means there will be more discussion and story recs!

• Love 2

I don't mind AU that is related to the timeline we know (like no curse Enchanted Forest stories), but I won't read ones that have almost no relation to canon. Just not my cup of tea.

For some reason, I can't handle smut in my fanfic. It feels like voyeurism (I know, that's totally bizarre...I'm just weird). However, the beauty of reading is that I can just skip over those scenes.

• Love 2

I enjoy plot deviation AUs, (Hook was cursed, there was no curse etc), but I can't read non-Storybrooke non-Enchanted Forest AUs. I'm still not sure I like most Princess Emma fics, because a Princess Emma raised in peaceful times with loving parents would be completely different from "our" Emma.

I don't mind smut at all, but I have a problem reading it on tumblr, because there's almost always a sidebar with images of the characters on it and it kind of makes me feel like a creep to see the image of an actor portraying a character while I'm reading about that character performing sexual acts. Does anyone else have that problem?

• Love 2

I don't mind smut at all, but I have a problem reading it on tumblr, because there's almost always a sidebar with images of the characters on it and it kind of makes me feel like a creep to see the image of an actor portraying a character while I'm reading about that character performing sexual acts. Does anyone else have that problem?

Since I do almost all my surfing on my ipad I don't get the sidebar images. So don't have that problem.

I will skip smut if it gets too... Much I guess? Ok with tasteful relationship stuff. I want nothing to do with the kink stuff, avoid it like the plague.

• Love 2
(edited)

Does anyone else have that problem?

YES!!! I am so pleased someone else feels like that.... A little bit creepy.... in my opinion. That stuff just doesn't float my boat.

Thanks for the recommended stuff (Daxx in particular). Fanfic, as I discovered, is a bit like swimming in an ocean. I was great to have some place to start.....

Edited by ShellinKL

When I first started reading fanfic I stuck to canon or canon deviation. I have now branched out but really only to Enchanted Forest AU, lieutenant duckling AU's or cursed Killian in Storybrooke like 'Peace I Leave with You'.

I just don't have any real interest in modern AU at all.

Lately I have been reading a fair amount of Princess Emma, Captain Hook as well.

This is the kind of AU I read. I don't like the non-Storybrooke non-Enchanted Forest AUs (like Professor Killian and Student Emma, or things like that).

• Love 1
(edited)

I stuck to canon in the beginning, but soon diverged to reading AUs. I am all into Princess/Pirate, Dark!Hook, Lieutenant Duckling fics these days (especially after that finale!!). Screaming in the Dark is a very lovely Werewolf!Killian fic (and I have a thing for werewolves after Remus Lupin ;-)). When it comes to modern AUs, it depends on the writer. I'm more likely to give modern AUs a chance if I like the author's other fics. I too am a huge fan on Put me In (and it took me a while to give it a chance even though I love BK's writing as a rule). I should probably put together a fic rec list myself, though there's probably plenty of overlap with daxx's (haha)! 

And Sharky--I did end up putting my fics on AO3--thanks for giving me the push I needed! :-)

"When Doves Cry" is Killing me right now! That fic is amazing!

Edited by Rumsy4