Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Part 9

The DEA gets involved in John's murder case. Tensions rise between Meg and Danny. John digs into Danny's past. Sally reminisces.

Please note that you should NOT discuss episodes that are numerically after the one in the thread you are in. Thanks!

Damn, the actress they got for the young Sally looks EXACTLY like a Carrie-era Sissy Spacek. Hopefully they kept her around for more than this.

Edited by Eegah
  • Love 6

Danny and Kevin look like the father but Meg and John don't really look much like either parent.  Seeing the actress playing the young Sally made this bother me, once again.  

It was nice to get a little more of Danny's past filled in.  I've been wondering if he's always had these sociopathic tendencies, or if it's more of a recent development.  I really don't understand his Meg-hate.  

Now we know where all that money has been going.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Damn, the actress they got for the young Sally looks EXACTLY like a Carrie-era Sissy Spacek. Hopefully they kept her around for more than this.

When Sally was reminiscing about her youth, I wanted her to tell Danny about that prom when she got doused with pig blood.  

It's funny that young Sally had on a chambray dress and a side braid.  

I thought it was 'teen Sally' but that was a picture of her Rayburn family with her own five kids that she was holding, so Sally must've skipped town after Danny killed Sarah and Robert beat Danny.  I can't imagine living through that but leaving your surviving four kids then, with him?  Hard to sympathize with that.   

Danny and Kevin look like the father but Meg and John don't really look much like either parent.  Seeing the actress playing the young Sally made this bother me, once again.  

It was nice to get a little more of Danny's past filled in.  I've been wondering if he's always had these sociopathic tendencies, or if it's more of a recent development.  I really don't understand his Meg-hate.  

Now we know where all that money has been going.  

Of five kids in my family, a couple don't look at all like either parent.  

What's weird about Danny sending the money to himself is he wrote "more to come" in a package once.  And he didn't even ask his landlord to take in his mail, which is a ton of frickin cash, as if he expected someone was on the other end taking care of it.  

Oh, my prediction that the seersucker suits in the ep 1 flashback were from them being groomsmen at Meg's wedding was right!  I guess what else do men wear matching odd suits for, though.  

Edited by Guest

Yeah, the "more to come" was odd.  Maybe he sent that one to someone else, then the rest to his old apartment?  It's strange to me that he's sending all that money to an apartment where the goons he owes money to might go looking for him.  But I guess it's not like he's a man of rational thinking.  

• Love 2

Good point about the goons.  Maybe he did pay them first and that was where the 'more to come' package went?  It was odd, though, how many parcels were in that apt., with the landlord saying he hadn't seen Danny in only two weeks.  It looked like at least 10-12.  What was Danny doing-- sending a package of money out practically every day?  Surely the drug/gas trade wasn't that heavy.  

Mailing all the money to himself like that letting the mail pile up for weeks seems stupid & careless. He could easily hide the money somewhere else without FedEx'ing it. A safety deposit box, a storage locker, etc.. 

I guess he thought he can runaway, go back the apartment his family is clueless about nobody would be the wiser.

• Love 1

Danny's apology to Diana, which was going sort of ok until it turned into a threat, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Mendelsohn is good. 

I had to check to see if it was her daughter Schuyler Fisk, who also looks like she burned her high school down with her telekinetic powers. But no, Sarah French.

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 2

I really like this show.    I like the pace, I like the sea and the sun and the sound of leaves rustling when the characters sit outside or on the veranda. 

But what I like best is that the characters aren't stupid.   In other shows, bad guys like Danny get pretty far ahead in their evil deeds  before anyone gets wise to their scheming.   In this episode of Bloodline, Meg not only called Danny on his petty blackmail threat (vs. cowering in a will-he-tell-or-won't-he funk for three or four episodes), but John (who always looks like he could use two years of sleep) went right to work investigating Danny rather than turning a blind eye out of guilt or family loyalty.    Same for John's wife who didn't flinch in the face of Danny's unspoken threats.    In a world where television characters typically remain blissfully ignorant  while the antagonist's machinations come to fruition, the folks of Bloodline listening to their instincts is really refreshing.

• Love 11

It's funny that young Sally had on a chambray dress and a side braid.  

I thought it was 'teen Sally' but that was a picture of her Rayburn family with her own five kids that she was holding, so Sally must've skipped town after Danny killed Sarah and Robert beat Danny.  I can't imagine living through that but leaving your surviving four kids then, with him?  Hard to sympathize with that.

Didn't Robert's old friend, the retired detective, mention that Sally was out of town the weekend of Sara's drowning? My take was that the scene on the bus took place during that time, before the tragic incident with Sara. I only just finished this episode so perhaps it is explained within the greater chronology soon. I suspect there was some trouble in the marriage though.

• Love 1

Didn't Robert's old friend, the retired detective, mention that Sally was out of town the weekend of Sara's drowning? My take was that the scene on the bus took place during that time, before the tragic incident with Sara. I only just finished this episode so perhaps it is explained within the greater chronology soon. I suspect there was some trouble in the marriage though.

Yes, Det. Potts made the comment that it was an odd time of year for her to be away, and ever since, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. My guess is that Sally was leaving Robert, and thus, the family. Maybe he was abusive to her? Time will tell.

Regarding "More to come." You don't think he was sending the packages of cash to Sarah, do you? Sounds silly, but Beth Mackey did mention him talking to her in the bathroom.

• Love 1

Wow, but Danny sure did turn a corner in episodes 8 and 9. He went from a kind of fucked up ne'er do well to full tilt creep pretty fast. I think I blame Det. Potts and his tapes for sending him over the edge. (Only half kidding; my initial impression was he was sincere in his desire to change. I had no idea how messed up he was, but it seemed like that little walk down memory lane really did a number on him).

• Love 4

OK, so in episode 8 I was wondering whether Danny showed up at the Rayburns intending to wreak havoc or it became opportune after dad's death, and now I have my answer. He was already in deep with the drug trade, and either wants to keep the "easy" cash flowing OR is attempting to pay off the goons he owes in Miami. Destroying his family is enjoyable collateral damage.

The timeline on all this is confusing though - how does Danny have a stack of uncashed paychecks in his glove box when by all accounts he has been in the Keys only a few weeks? How has Meg already "fixed" the ownership of the Inn legally to deal Danny back in? Was the revised will ever received and approved by the court? How would that will even stand when Papa died within days of the revision? We're also only days past the funeral of Papa Rayburn and no one (other than Sally looking morosely at his toothbrush) seems to care he's gone or even mention him at all. Of course that could be deliberate, but no one seems relieved either, which would appear to be the other option given the circumstances.

And I hope Kevin's marina subplot goes somewhere, because there was plenty of evidence he was an irrational hothead without this feud taking up unnecessary time. This was in episode 8 but I LOVED that the loan officer wouldn't give Kevin a pass on the alleged robbery and I LOVED that the small town gossip mill got to her. There was no need to have anyone close to Kevin blabbing to create drama - it happens organically in a place like that.

I was surprised that Lowery and his crony didn't recognize John as law enforcement when he was poking around the bait shop.

• Love 2

So I just started this show and am up to this episode, but I have one question - where's John's dog?  He had a dog in the first episode, that hasn't been seen since.  They had family dinner, he came home late really drunk, they sit on the couch or work from home, etc. and no dog.  Did I miss something or should this not concern me?

• Love 1