Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I paid and (according to the agent) my phone & internet were reconnected in an instant. It was certainly operating again by time I got home!

Glad you got your phone and internet back and that you made some sales this weekend! 

• Love 1

It's hot but not as hot as yesterday. I'm feeling better, too0p. Not 100% but well enough I was able to cook some linguine with beans, minced beef & onion.

The linguine comes from Turkey. I've had pasta from Turkey before; some cavatappi I had a few months ago. Unlike cavatappi - it's my favourite short pasta (fettuccine is my favourite long pasta). I would never have thought of Turkey as a place that makes pasta, but the stuff is fine.

While on the subject of pasta, there is something I've never understood, although maybe I am simply misinformed on the subject.

I buy dry, packaged pasta. I buy various brands depending on what is available. Nowadays price plays a big part in brand choice as the various brands run promotions with their products at discounted prices. In my experience, there is really very little between the various brands. I imagine the ingredients do not vary significantly.

But one brand of spaghetti will instruct you to cook it for 4-6 minutes while a different brand will recommend 8-10 minutes. Today's linguine was recommended at 13-15 minutes. I don't like my pasta soggy or smushy but I don't like it with a crunchy center either so I normally go middle of the road. What I don't understand is that what is essentially the same pasta which ends up essentially tasting the same and with essentially the same consistency can be cooked for such wildly different lengths of time, and still come out just right.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

But one brand of spaghetti will instruct you to cook it for 4-6 minutes while a different brand will recommend 8-10 minutes. Today's linguine was recommended at 13-15 minutes. I don't like my pasta soggy or smushy but I don't like it with a crunchy center either so I normally go middle of the road. What I don't understand is that what is essentially the same pasta which ends up essentially tasting the same and with essentially the same consistency can be cooked for such wildly different lengths of time, and still come out just right.

I still throw my spaghetti against the wall to see if it's done, LOL. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, andidante said:

I still throw my spaghetti against the wall to see if it's done, LOL. 

That works perfectly for spaghetti. But if you are cooking Pappardelle or Conchiglie or even simple "bowties", that method doesn't work so well. 

Not that I book cook those exotica, mind you! But in any case, I usually follow the directions on the package and leave it for the minimum time, then I fish out a single piece and give it a taste test and keep doing that until it's how I like it. Which is usually about midrange in the recommended cook-time.

Had corn flakes for dinner. I withstood the heat of the kitchen for preparing lunch but settled for cereal tonight. SSA is supposed to come tomorrow morning but I was not feeling up to clearing up crap and putting out the wheelie bin. However, they have been coming as much as two days late recently so I should be back on my feet again soon and might fill a wheelie bin for them to take away with them. Actually, my neighbor whose house has been under construction for 50+ years has agreed that I can use his wheelie bin when ever I need to. He never uses it because you can't put construction debris in it, do so he is forced to periodically get a skip. If he ever finished the house he will reclaim the bin, but in the mean time, I have two I can use.

Got an email on Friday from my car insurers. The gist of which was that 1) The value of the vehicle falls every year as it ages so 2) they recommend switching from Fully Comprehensive insurance cover to Third Party. 3) The price for the coming year is $1,050. So essentially then, I will receive significantly reduced cover at a lesser valuation, and I must pay more for it than I paid previously for full comp at a higher valuation!

Insurance is legalized theft. One year I forgot to pay. I didn't catch it until I went to pay the next year. They told me I would have to pay the arrears. I asked, "if I had made a claim during the course of the last year, would you have paid up?" No, of course not. "So why would I pay for cover that you've just told me you did not provide?'

Let me turn on the gramaphone and see what we get: Space Between by Dave Matthews Band. I quite like Dave Matthews. My favourite album is Under The Table And Dreaming which surprises so many who think Crash is the tops. I knew a girl who separated from her husband after she had a fling and he found out. She was a rabid Dave Matthews fan, and as a farewell gift he gave her a ticket to one of his concerts and an airline ticket to what ever city it was taking place in. Well, he's a better man than me!

They say Dave Matthews goes busking in the underground when ever he's in London. I was having a cup of tea and a biscuit this afternoon and The Hot Breath was very much in attendance. Normally, he would get a small share of what ever I am eating. He got several strands of linguine at lunchtime. (Yes, I know it probably isn't clever to encourage him, but...) Anyway, the bikkies were chocolate filled so he was not going to get a taste of them! Except I dropped the last piece of biscuit on the floor. (By accident, your honour!) Mo shot off as if rocket propelled. I'd dropped it on the opposite side of the chair from him, and as soon as it slipped from my fingers I tried to snatch it back up... But he got there first. And, taking no chances, rocket propulsion continued until he was out of the house and gone.

While I would never deliberately give him chocolate, it is a comfort to know that if he ever gets hold of some, I don't need to panic. Apparently, it takes about ½ oz. of chocolate for every 1 lb. of dog before it becomes dangerous. But still, that doesn't mean it's wise to deliberately feed them even small pieces. 

In On Wednesday, Mo and I made a trip to the polyclinic to collect meds. Mo (who has been going stir-crazy) came along for the ride, of course. If you ever saw the video of Buddy in the car hopping back and forth, it should come as no surprise that Mo is also somewhat of a energetic motorist. He is very enthusiastic and he yells tells everyone exactly that. Mosely Mostly me, but also pedestrians, people standing at bus stops and even motorists on in other vehicles on parallel paths. But mostly me. I have a poorish quality video of about 10-11 minute duration viewable here. If you decide to see it, you don't have to watch the entire thing. You can stop just as soon as you realize your ears are probably not going to make it to the end, so you don't need to either. I love my Mozie Pozie but sometimes I wish he'd just shut up.

He jumped into bed earlier, gave me a big, wet kiss right in on the mouth, and as I spluttered he stuck his head in my water glass and purloined an ice cube. He's back now looking out the window so I think I'd better take this opportunity... No, he's gone again. Guess I'd better go after him. It's quite late.....

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2

Does anyone have a full proof remedy against gnats? For some reason, we have swarms of them around our house for the last three days. I have tried the vinegar, sugar dish soap trick to no avail. We have fly strips up, etc. We have never had this issue before. I don't know if it is the humidity (I live in California) or the wood chips in the back yard! I would appreciate any suggestions. 

(edited)

I am not much of a cook. I can usually feed myself with something that is enjoyable to eat - availability of ingredients helps with that - but I will never actually pass for a good cook. One of the reasons for that is that I occasionally over-salt my food. Obviously, I don't do it on purpose but it happens anyway. And when it does it takes me by surprise... until I think it through and then it's obvious. 

Let's take lunch today for instance. I boiled some diced potato with plantain and pumpkin and then stirred it in with red beans and onion in a pan, to produce a simple vegetable stew. Naturally, I added a reasonable amount of salt to the potato water. But I left  the pot on the stove a mite too long, so most of the water boiled away. I added the boiled vegetables and the small amount of remaining water to the pan with the beans and onions. 

Now, the beans were soaked for 24 hours with a piece of salt kine in the water. Then beans and beef were boiled for a couple hours, before the beef was shredded and stirred back into the beans. Salt kine is very salty and most of that salt ended up in the beans. And by boiling away the potato water (instead of pouring it away) the salt in that pot remained with the potatoes instead of getting mostly poured down the sink.

When the beans and potatoes were combined, the resulting dish tasted good... except for being extremely salty. I had to boil some plain, white rice without salt and mix it in to dilute the saltiness. I ate half of this for lunch and saved the remainder.

I stir-fried the remainder of the rice, potatoes, beans, pumpkin, plantain & onion to warm it up for dinner and added an egg to make it slightly interesting. 

So the disastrous plate of lunch became two passable meals. Not fantastic, but passable.

I think there is one more serving of those red beans remaining before I have to soak & cook another package. Next time I will soak the beef separately and throw off the salty water. I'll add the beef to the beans after soaking and then cook them together the beans should not end up as salty as they have been. 

Talk To Ya Later by The Tubes. 

Mo and I are back from Garden Patrol on an unusually still night it was overcast and it it was very quiet. I live on a fairly busy corner so quiet and still is not usual. I could only make out the three brightest stars in the sky, and they were fading in and out. I'm no scholar of the night sky, but I think it was Vega and Altair almost at the zenith with Altair slightly more southerly. And over to the west but still at high elevation was what I took to be Arcturus. Of course, it is difficult to identify stars when other stars around them in the constellations are not visible to aid in the process. 

Any way, I'm in bed after a very refreshing shower. Mo was just here jumping up and down on my tummy but he's wandered off again. I have to get up again anyhow, not just because the house needs to be locked up, but because I am starting to develop an unpleasant pain on the left side of my head and will take Panadol to help with it. I don't usually suffer from headaches but this one is shaping up to be a nasty one.

Ok, I will end this here and go do you know the thing.

ETA: Almost forgot about @andidante's gnats. Alas, I have no solution to offer. I don't think we get them here. Google suggests repelling them with scents they don't like: vinegar, vanilla, pine oil, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, and lavender. I used to make a mozzie (not Mozie) repellant from alcohol, with citronella and tangerine oils in it and applied it to my skin from a little squirt/spray bottle. Mozzies and gnats maybe are nothing like each other but maybe a citronella candle would help? Or you could experiment with various scented oils delivered in an alcohol spray to see what effect they might have. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Netfoot said:

ETA: Almost forgot about @andidante's gnats. Alas, I have no solution to offer. I don't think we get them here. Google suggests repelling them with scents they don't like: vinegar, vanilla, pine oil, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, and lavender. I used to make a mozzie (not Mozie) repellant from alcohol, with citronella and tangerine oils in it and applied it to my skin from a little squirt/spray bottle. Mozzies and gnats maybe are nothing like each other but maybe a citronella candle would help? Or you could experiment with various scented oils delivered in an alcohol spray to see what effect they might have. 

Thanks for the suggestions Netfoot. I was thinking about the citronella candle so may try that if the spray we bought yesterday doesn't work. We shall see!

• Like 1

IMO, the actual citronella plant is more effective than a candle. You can put it/them in flower beds but I put them in pots and place strategically at the corners of the back porch. And it’s safe to break off some leaves and rub on you instead of using sprays. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

IMO, the actual citronella plant is more effective than a candle.

I've heard that this was true, but don't know where to get the plants around here, 

Had a bowl of Rice & Beans for lunch, with pumpkin and the last of the pak choy. it was a low-salt meal in comparison to yesterday.

Put lentils to soak in one container and a piece of salt kine in another. I will discard and replace the water from the beef a few times before finally adding it to the lentils to cook. Tonight I will either have fry-bread and peanut butter or pasta. Probably the latter because it will be easier. 

I see people using what is nowadays referred to as a "stand mixer" (back when I was a kid my Mum had one but it was called an "Osterizer"). They bung in the ingredients, go for a smoke or something, and when they get back they have perfect dough ready for use. I could get one across the road at the mall, but since prices start at $400 and go all the way up to $1,530 I would have to use threats of violence to prize one away from the store and I imagine the cops would be feeling my collar before I got home.

It's hot again and I am breaking out in a rash from heat and sweating (I'd guess) so I have to keep quiet and don't exert myself, try t catch the breeze, and hope for rain to cool things down.

Last night as I was at the brink of deep sleep, Mo walked over my face and went to stand on the bedside table. He somehow slipped, and in trying to retain his footing he sent the bluetooth speakers flying in to the East. The phone went West, the remote for lights & fans went North and Mo himself went South. He ended up sitting directly on my groggy face. It took several minutes to get him calmed down and everything found in the dark and put back into place.

Half an hour later on the brink once more of deep sleep, I experienced something akin to having a garden hose sprayed full force, directly into my face. Or maybe like waterboarding? A heavy squall of rain had moved in and the rainwater was sluicing off the edge of the roof like a waterfall. The wind was just in the right direction and the right strength to direct the waterfall through the window and directly up my nose. Quite often when it rains I don't even have to close the window at all. Sometimes a fine spray does come wafting in and I will pull the window down. But last night it was an absolute deluge! The wind must have been out of the north-East which is unusual. We have Easterly winds and when the weather changes the wind moves out of the South.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)

Trust Me by Janis, off of Pearl. One of my favourite tracks off one of my favourite albums.  Trust in me, baby, give me time, gimme time, ooh gimme time. I heard somebody say, oh, "The older the grape, the sweeter the wine, sweeter the wine. What a tragic loss to us all, her death at 27.

This evening I was sitting quietly at the computer contemplating a cup of coffee, when Wham! Someone slammed my left knee with a hammer. Ow! Ow! Ow-ow-ow! Only, there was nobody there and there was no hammer. I have no idea. I hobbled through Garden Patrol (light breeze, soaking grass, overcast, very few stars peeking through) and returned to my desk where I took a pair of Panadol. I often say I'm going to take Panadol for some ache or pain, but rarely do because the pain turns out to be bearable but tonight I swilled down two caplets and tried to remember what Dr. Kristi had to say about double dipping painkillers. 

In the end, I didn't get my coffee, nor a cup of tea, neither. Usually, I reserve coffee for drinking away from home, like at a coffee shop or some other venue. For instance, most Saturday mornings a friend buys me a coffee at Brighton. But occasionally, I "catch a vapse" (Trinidadian) for a coffee at home. I've had two already this week and would have had a third were it not for the distraction of the duppy with the mallet.

("Duppy" is Bajan. A Trini would say "Jumby".)

Sometimes I even buy a jar of instant and drink it instead of tea for a while. But a 7 oz. Jar of Nescafé is over 30 bucks, now and decaf is even more. Whereas I can get 80 decaf tea bags for about $12.50........

Dinner was penne with tuna and some chopped green onion and a couple sprigs of fresh thyme. Tasted pretty good. Turkish penne, cooked for 12 minutes.

The water from the salt kine has been changed three times and I intend (if I remember) to change it again first thing in the morning. Then the beef and lentils can be boiled on the run-up to lunchtime and maybe I'll cook up some spuds to go with them.

Mo is here with me now. I've found out exactly how to make him hussle into the bedroom without delay: walk up the passage rustling some cellophane. In hindsight this is obvious; I should have figured it out ages ago! Anyway, he's right here with his nose in the air all aquiver. No idea what he's scented but there is something outside that window that has his attention. Now he has purloined a plastic bag and is on the foot of the bed, systematically reducing it down to it's constituent molecules. 

The Panadol seems to be doing it's thing because the knee is only a dull throb, now. Still, it's well after midnight. I will take my blood sugar tomorrow - it's been higher than I like this last 10 days or so, peaking st 5.8 but reducing to only 5.1 and hopefully tomorrow, back in the 4s where it belongs. So let me end this here, spend 15 minutes catching up with Takeshi Kovacs, then blow out the candle!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2
(edited)

Look at these mice. 

PXL_20230719_150149377.thumb.jpg.81d2ac381a548682b485df32eee6fd2c.jpg

The larger one is dead. It is in pretty good physical shape and the cable & plug are fine, but it just doesn't work properly. The middle button generally refuses to work. If I press it repeatedly and hard, it might work one time in 50. Linux uses that middle button extensively, so another mouse is required.

The smaller "travel" mouse has a retracting ("self coiling" would be more accurate) lead. The mouse itself works just fine, but...

PXL_20230719_143243093.thumb.jpg.2d860a9cb852ff78cec6c44aebefd8c2.jpg

The insulation on the wire lead has perished and is flaking off in little crumbs. This exposes the bare copper. When the mouse is moved around on the desktop, the bate bare copper of the various wires have a tendency to short together.

PXL_20230719_143248213.thumb.jpg.5f5cd1e06e56a9b4cc15521a3110ef17.jpg

This means the mouse will suddenly stop working. Or worse, the short circuits will fool the computer into thinking the buttons have been clicked. Dangerous. 

If only the perfectly good lead from the busted mouse could be grafted onto the perfectly good mouse with the rotten lead!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Sad 1

I dismantled the two mice. The boards were obviously different in size, so swapping boards was not an option, obviously. The switches on the board we're almost identical, so in theory I could have removed a switch from the working board and replaced the dodgy switch in the problematic board. However, I don't think it makes sense to dismantle a functioning board to try to fix a broken board.

But look at the connection of the lead to the broken board (soldered on the underside):

PXL_20230719_142304416.thumb.jpg.721b64c0e521943edbe8e1c7dfa8c868.jpg

And now look at the connection of the rotten lead to the working board:

PXL_20230719_143315396.thumb.jpg.4de28dd0160b519b21cdf2af715ecff3.jpg

I see a similarity. They both use the 4-wire USB lead which carries Ground & Voltage (power) wires as well as +ve and -ve data lines. 

The connection points on both boards are clearly marked, so a cable swap should be fairly straightforward. So, let's begin by getting off the rotten cable from the working board by unsoldering the four rotten wires off the back!

PXL_20230719_143843882.thumb.jpg.df4eb302c7b88bea58a0e818dadc729d.jpg

Just a touch from the top of a 30 watt iron and the wires slide out of the molten solder. Once they are all off and the rotten wire (and the spool) disposed of, the good wire can be snipped from the faulty board, the ends stripped back, then attached to the good board.

Care must be taken to match colour to letter on the boards, and be mindful that although the same four letters are present in each board, their order is not the same.

PXL_20230719_150536310.thumb.jpg.ea2b59625137c14b4d2a708e3dc41686.jpg

Notice my method of dealing with failing eyesight.

Now to reassemble and test...

• Like 3

The mouse works perfectly. It would probably have cost me $15 to buy a new mouse, but at the moment I would prefer not to spend the few bucks when I have an alternative.

And if you were thinking about saying something about wireless or Bluetooth mice? I hate cordless mice with the power of a thousand burning nuns! They are constantly in need of new batteries and you become aware of this right when you are using the mouse heavily and it starts acting flakey. 

I changed the water on the salt beef first thin this morning. It wad the fourth change but the water I threw off was not in the least bit salty in any case.

Around midday I shredded the beef and added it to the lentils, which I put on to boil. The salt from the beef had been completely eliminated and I had to (lightly!) salt the pot. In about 30 minutes I deemed the peas to be finished. Added boiled potato, carrot and broccoli with pepper sauce, a few sprigs of thyme and finely chopped parsley. It tasted great. I do like lentils, but I think the small pulses are better for this type of thing than the larger red kidney beans. Lentils, field peas h even black beans are smaller yield more when soaked, soften more easily and don't need to be cooked for so long. Split-peas should fall into this group ad well, but I've not had much luck with split-peas. (But I will try again with them soon!)

I have cut my hair and beard. I put a #3 guard on the buzz-cutter and went at it. I don't particularly care how it looks, but I don't want to miss a clump or end up unbalanced.

Heidi is up to something. She called this morning to say she has booked in my van at a local mechanic to have a Roadworthy & Valuation. 10:30 tomorrow. I don't know what scheme she is working on h I hope she isn't planning to sell the van! Now, it needs a Roadworthy (but not a Valuation) so I will go along tomorrow as instructed. But that van ain't for sale!

So, what for dinner? Rice? Potatoes again? With peas, whatever I decide. I am defrosting some chicken parts so maybe potatoes g peas with a piece of fried chicken? Dunno. Will report back later.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

And I'd probably misplace mine if it didn't have a cord. 

Well, I didn't want to say, but at least twice a day I have to start at the computer and follow the mouse tail until I find the mouse.....  😉

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1

The magic mouse on my Mac is wireless. That is why I keep rechargeable batteries around the house. I like using it. But Apple, in one of their "why did they do this" moments, changed their magic mouse to use irreplaceable rechargeable batteries and to recharge them you have to turn the mouse upside down and plug in a USB to lightening cable to charge the mouse and of course since it plugs into the bottom of the mouse you can't recharge it and use it at the same time so if you have one of these mice you may want to keep a spare mouse on hand though in their defense if your mouse goes dead if you plug it in and let it charge for about 10 minutes that will get it charged plenty to use it for the rest of the day. You just learn to keep an eye on the charge and remember to charge it before bedtime. You only have to charge it about once every couple of months.

On my PC I prefer the corded mouse. No idea why. I just do.

• Like 1

We're In This Love Together by Al Jarreau. 

Has a chicken leg and a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese for dinner. I enjoyed the chicken and, well, who doesn't like Mac & Cheese? But as usual, I feel guilty when I eat chicken and have to withhold the bone from my Mozie. Sixty-five years watching doggies large and small chowing down on chicken bones and now? Verboten! Oh well. I fried up the skin for him and I think he must have enjoyed it because it didn't last long in the plate. But then, neither did the spoonful of Mac & Cheese I left for him.

I've gone and injured myself on Garden Patrol. I stood on something that punched up through the bottom of a Croc and into the bottom of my left foot. Got me right in the tender, "bendy" spot between the ball of the foot and the pad of the big toe. It hurt, and by time I could hobble on one foot to something and grab on to it, what ever the thing was, it dislodged and now lies concealed, back in the grass, to attack me again another night.

My foot was slipping around in the shoe as the blood leaked out and acted as a lubricant. Bleeding had stopped by time I got back into the house so I washed the area and sprayed all with 100% alcohol. No further discomfort. 

Got to be at Corbin's Garage tomorrow mid-morning. Heidi had made a plan but she has not confided in me as to what exactly that plan is, only given me my 8ndtructiond. Will pop off to sleep now, and see how late Mo lets me sleep tomorrow. He woke me at 5:15 this morning...

Will report back tomorrow  when I find out exactly what is going on.

PXL_20230720_043046936.thumb.jpg.801b315d761b78163f201f5d05d29a72.jpg

• Like 3

Went through Dr. Kristi and asked Clauda to check my file when she has a monment free, to see when my last tetanus shot was. She will call me if I need to have one, after last night's nail "jook" in the toe. Didn't see Dr. Kristi. Could have hung around until I had a chance to say howdy, but she is always busy with people that need her aid and I feel like an evil minion for taking up her time unnecessarily. Besides I had to hustle to get the TownAce to Corbin's for the Roasdworthy/Valuation at 10:30. 

So I scurried down there and discovered that the appointment was for eleven thirty. Checked Heidi's messages... Yes, she said 11:30, but I guess I was so keen not to miss it that I subconsciously arrived an hour early instead. Anyway, the van passed it's Roadworthy with flying colours, then Mike himself came out and checked the van over. I told him about the issues I was dealing with: No A/C, Airbag warning light, speedo non-functional -- of no real consequence to reliability. ABS brake warning -- can be ignored. I described the circumstances under which I get the "Check Engine" light and he immediately knew what it was: The O² sensor in the exhaust is breaking down due to age. A new one would be $700-ish, but the light can be ignored unless it starts to come on under circumstances different to what I see now. Because that might indicate a different issue with the engine that needs addressing.

Then he wanted to know about the oil leak. What oil leak? I told him I was not aware of any oil leak. So he checked and saw no oil warning light on the dash, the dipstick indicated the engine was full, the oil on the dipper looked quite clean, and there was no sign underneath of leakage. 

So with the caveats mentioned, the van looks like it's good to go.

Oh, Valuation was $11,000 and considering that I paid $19,500 for it seven years ago and that the old girl is now 17 years old, I can't complain. 

Stopped on the way home and bought a tiny tin of mackerel for Mo, just to celebrate. I'm sure I will regret the expenditure later on, but he won't...

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

So glad that the roadworthy visit went well and that Heidi was apparently not up to something sneaky! 

I am also glad about the Roadworthy. There are still issues with it, but my biggest concern was that one day soon the engine would blow up, fall down, seize solid or in some other way self destruct, leaving me stuck miles from home, with a van that needed major repair. Now I can drive without worrying too much that everything was about to go to hell.

As for Heidi, she unfortunately never listens. For example: I wear larger clothes because I am overweight. Heidi usually buys me a couple pairs of shorts and a few tee-shirts for Christmas. Last year, as Christmas approached, she called me up. 'What size pants do you wear? 50" waist?'

'Good ghodd no! 44" and I could probably go with 42" but say 44.'

I had to take the pants off and read her the label over the phone: 44" waist and I was drawing the belt pretty tight to stop them falling off.

'What about shirts? 4X? 5X?'

'No, 2X is plenty roomy and comfortable enough for me.'

So I got two pairs of jeans with 48" waists and four tee-shirts, all 4X.

Similarly, I vaguely remember her asking me a while back, why there was oil on my driveway and whether the van was leaking oil. I explained that the stain on the driveway was from back when I had the 27 year old Suzuki Swift, and used to do oil changes myself. During one such change I made a boo-boo and there was a little spillage on the driveway.

Anyway, I guess that somehow in her mind she decided that the van was leaking oil and simply ignored what I'd told her.

So, I'm fresh from the shower, in bed with a puppy asleep in my lap (almost) and a cool breeze in the window. Wishing You Were Here by Chicago is playing. I believe that some of the Beach Boys lineup were present when this was originally recorded for Chicago VII, their first double album from the mid 70s. But this track was taken from the 1990 compilation called Take Me Back To Chicago. (Their second compilation - the better of the two, in my opinion - to bear the name.) This name itself is taken from a track they recorded for Chicago XI in the late 70s... Boy, some bands just seem to enjoy making things complicated. 

Salt bread cutters (in Trinidad they would be "hops bread") with cheese and cucumber for dinner. Mo had a nice bowl of chow with a tiny tin of mackerel poured on top. Three little fishies and all the fishy water. I assumed he liked it because his nose went into the bowl and didn't come out again, until the bowl was completely empty and polished clean. Which took only a scarily short length of time!

Speaking of Mo, he just rolled over on his back and presented his tummy for rubs. I rubbed the tummy for a while but when I stopped he gave a huff of disappointment and relocated... Oh wait. He has just left the room. 

Anyway, I have to be halfway across the island tomorrow morning by nine, so I will quit here, read a few pages from my book, then close my glowbasket and make like I took a fellis draught.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 4

Lying in bed, soaking wet from my shower, with the fan and a breeze in the window cooling me. Mo is doing godnozewot after our Garden Patrol. The night is pretty quiet with slightly less overcast that I've seen recently. Maybe a dozen or more stats visible overhead.

Carly Simon's You're So Vain is playing. I've never understood this song. The lyric clearly shows the singer is totally fixated on whoever the guy is, with every word describing how many and varied his interests are, then accusing him of being vain and believing the song is about him. Now, he may very well be vain, but nothing in the song points directly towards signs of vanity in his behaviour. That would appear to be a characteristic applied to him solely by the singer. And the song clearly is about him. So I have to assume the song is an ironic look at her obsession with the guy, rather than the critical condemnation it initially appears to be. Makes me think of 10cc's I'm Not In Love, a protestation which is undoubtedly a lie. 

All ready for tomorrow morning. Not sure how much gas there is in the tank. Maybe I should go check now? But I don't feel like getting dressed to go outside. Little Mo just hopped up in bed and is panting away, leaning against my tummy. I'd take his collar off and let him sleep without it tonight but he always becomes agitated when you first remove his collar and I don't want to deal with that.

Drove up to Lancaster this morning for a meeting, and on the way found myself trapped behind a small truck. The roundabout was coming up and I didn't want to be held back so I floored it. As the van shot past my brain whispered "Here comes the Check Engine light..." And so true, by the time the maneuver was over the light was on. But I felt very relieved to know that it was not my engine committing slow suicide! 

The purpose of the meeting was to interview for work. And I heard this afternoon that I've got the job! It isn't a very high-falutin' position, it is a simple, menial, hourly paid job of Site Clerk for a construction company. Overseeing the receipt & disbursement of tools, equipment and materiel, plus ordering of replacements as necessary. Timekeeping, yelling at people who are not wearing appropriate safety gear, opening and closing the site each day as well as the equipment sheds, and so on. It will pay about the double per week as I make on a good month at Brighton. There will also be overtime some evenings and Sunday work too, especially as the project approaches completion. And the job I will be starting on is approaching completion right now. So it will be lots of hours. 

It is six days a week (plus any overtime) starting beginning of August, so I will have to bring my adventure at the Farmers Market to an end. Tomorrow and next Saturday will be my last days. I regret the necessity because I've made some friends up there and will miss seeing them. But I got bills that need paying and it will be good to have an income again. 

I will also not be spending as much time with Mo at home as I do now. I regret that and I will have to give him extra large helpings of love on evenings and when ever I am home. But with a van cleared for longer trips and some cash to buy gas, Mo might end up spending more time up at the club than any time for the last year.

Also, as I talked with the company heads they were very interested in my background in computers. They are keen to computerize their record keeping in such a way that everything can be managed in the field with phone or tablet, and said they may want to tap my expertise in that area with the project as well, but if so, it would have to be after I've been with the company long enough to know how things work. Who knows? It might eventually lead to a transfer from the menial Site Clerk position to something further up the ladder. But that is long term and speculative.

So please keep your fingers crossed that I am able to do this job properly and please my employers well enough for it tom become permanent, because like all jobs around here, the first three months are on a trial basis. 

And also cross your fingers for a few sales tomorrow because I still need to make it to the start of next month, plus to the end of my first week on the job, and I currently have $7 to my name!

Mo has departed, so I will end here and read a few pages of my book before he comes rampaging back in and starts jumping up and down on my appendix. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

Carly Simon's You're So Vain is playing. 

The purpose of the meeting was to interview for work. And I heard this afternoon that I've got the job! It isn't a very high-falutin' position, it is a simple, menial, hourly paid job of Site Clerk for a construction company. Overseeing the receipt & disbursement of tools, equipment and materiel, plus ordering of replacements as necessary. Timekeeping, yelling at people who are not wearing appropriate safety gear, opening and closing the site each day as well as the equipment sheds, and so on. It will pay about the double per week as I make on a good month at Brighton. There will also be overtime some evenings and Sunday work too, especially as the project approaches completion. And the job I will be starting on is approaching completion right now. So it will be lots of hours. 

It is six days a week (plus any overtime) starting beginning of August, so I will have to bring my adventure at the Farmers Market to an end. Tomorrow and next Saturday will be my last days. I regret the necessity because I've made some friends up there and will miss seeing them. But I got bills that need paying and it will be good to have an income again. 

Also, as I talked with the company heads they were very interested in my background in computers. They are keen to computerize their record keeping in such a way that everything can be managed in the field with phone or tablet, and said they may want to tap my expertise in that area with the project as well, but if so, it would have to be after I've been with the company long enough to know how things work. Who knows? It might eventually lead to a transfer from the menial Site Clerk position to something further up the ladder. But that is long term and speculative.

Congratulations on the new job! I am sure you will do well. 

I had heard "You're so vain" is about Warren Beaty, but not sure how true that is?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, andidante said:

I had heard "You're so vain" is about Warren Beaty, but not sure how true that is?

I've done a Google and rumors include Warren Beatty, Cat Stevens, Mick Jagger & Kris Kristofferson. But who knows?

5 hours ago, andidante said:

Congratulations on the new job!

Thank you. I just hope I do not disappoint. I've always been willing to take any job, so long as it was something I could do. Got to hope and pray I don't screw up and get handed my walking papers. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, andidante said:

Congratulations on the new job! I am sure you will do well. 

3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I've done a Google and rumors include Warren Beatty, Cat Stevens, Mick Jagger & Kris Kristofferson. But who knows?

Carly Simon said it was a composite of 3 people, one of whom was Warren Beatty. She said Mick Jagger wasn’t one of them, but I always wanted it to be since he’s singing backup, and therefore be “in” on it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, Netfoot said:

And I heard this afternoon that I've got the job! It isn't a very high-falutin' position, it is a simple, menial, hourly paid job of Site Clerk for a construction company. Overseeing the receipt & disbursement of tools, equipment and materiel, plus ordering of replacements as necessary. Timekeeping, yelling at people who are not wearing appropriate safety gear, opening and closing the site each day as well as the equipment sheds, and so on. It will pay about the double per week as I make on a good month at Brighton. There will also be overtime some evenings and Sunday work too, especially as the project approaches completion. And the job I will be starting on is approaching completion right now. So it will be lots of hours.

That really doesn't sound like a menial job. Lot of responsibilities. Good luck. Hope it works out well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to the market this morning with $7 in my pocket and came home with $63 so I must have made $56 today. And the only thing I sold was Toaster Tongs. Next week I may offer a large discount to any purchaser. It will be my last day at Brighton at least for the foreseeable future. I will miss the opportunity to socialize with the people I've come to know and have become friendly with,  but there is nothing for it. 

Shared with Joseph, the hand-carved wooden spoon guy. We were next to Marva. Mark had been AWOL from Brighton for a couple of weeks and I thought he'd gone abroad for some reason, but apparently his daughter's wedding was today.....

Blood sugar this morning was actually in the red at 6.2 mmol/L.  Anything over 5.9 is considered high, although Dr. Kristi had told me before this that she would not be concerned unless it was much higher and stayed high for an extended time. 

Dinner was a small but very tasty 12-minute Turkish penne with minced beef and onion plus a couple large spoonfuls of three-cheese sauce out of a bottle, and a splash of pepper sauce and a good shake of cilantro. (Only discovered recently that cilantro and coriander were one and the same thing. I've heard that you use one name when it's fresh and another when it's dried. Also that the seeds are coriander and the leaves are cilantro, but who knows who is right?)

Any Colour You Like from DSOTM. I think unquestionably their best album. But their catalog had so many excellent albums - The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals...

Had a long WhatsApp chat with Heidi who was on her way back from the vet with "Pebble". I have no idea, she has a menagerie. And unlike myself who gets sweet puppies that strangers stop me in the street and enquire after, her pups always turn out to be nasty little monsters that nobody likes. Anyway, apparently there is an epidemic of doggies with heat stroke right now. It certainly has been hottern the hinges for a while now. I am thinking of taking a plastic 50 gal. drum, cutting the bottom 6-8" off and making a Mo-sized plunge pool. But I'd hate to cut up a good drum and he then refuse to have anything to do with it. Maybe I could sit in it and splash around a bit to persuade him it was OK. 

I'm in bed and the fan is augmenting the breeze in the window, so not uncomfortable. Fuzzy-face is curled up against my back but I will shift him soon as I want to have a shower. In fact I think I will do that now.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

'fg t5g5 ,<--- Must have fallen asleep and landed face first on the keyboard.

Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve. From their third and best album, Urban Hymns, diehard fans day that the earlier albums (like A Northern Soul) were better. But you know, Urban Hymns is one of the best selling albums in the history of the British music scene. So it must have something going for it. After the inevitable breakup, lead vocalist Richard Ashcroft embarked on a solo career, having some success and releasing three albums. The second of these (Human Conditions) being my favourite.

For lunch, I had potatoes & carrots with minced beef, lentils, cucumber and onion. It was pretty tasty. Dinner was much more simple. I had a bowl of corned flakes and some scrambled eggs with cheese. I could have made an omelette with the cheese on top, but I just couldn't be bothered. Scrambled was much easier and I don't suppose the taste was hugely different. 

I've set my alarm a half an hour earlier for tomorrow. I will need to get up good and early if I'm to get to my new job in time to open up for everyone else. So I am gradually going to make the wakeup time earlier and earlier until I think it is about right. If I have to open up on the other side of the island at 7:15, I will probably need to hit the road from here at 6:30 at the latest. I should be able to do it in 30 minutes but I'd rather get there 15 minutes early than two minutes late. I am also transitioning this guy

PXL_20230723_163516356.thumb.jpg.e01481a55f42e530ee7034337e459615.jpg

from Lunch & Dinner to Breakfast & Dinner. 

Sold some R/C stuff today and got a few bucks for it. I am glad to see this money because even without any spanners being thrown into the works, I still have to make two weeks more before I see a paycheque. Maybe three. And I will need to drive over the island and back several days before I see any pay.

Heidi has apparently taken me on as a project. She insisted I give her all the clothes in the house to wash. Even demanding that she be allowed to wash brand new, never-worn socks, still plastic-stapled to the original package backing. She did this once before, insisting she be allowed to wash bedsheets that I'd never removed from their original package. I think she is very excited at the prospect of my new job, and has been WhatsApping me with lists of what I can take with me for lunch and whether to put iced water or hot tea in my thermos.

I just hope it doesn't all come to naught. She would be most upset. And come to think of it, do would I. 

Damp Garden Patrol tonight. Rain falling on us as we patrolled. And now I feel the need for a shower. Will lock the house on the way back. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2

I must side with Heidi in washing items out of the package before using! IMO, sheets are so much softer when washing before using and regarding undies and socks, I just want any factory cooties off of them! 

I was going to ask what you plan to take for lunch. Will your job have a microwave available?

• Like 4

I agree with Heidi too.  The factories where stuff like socks are made are not all that clean and there are reports of people getting skin infections from germs on new clothes.  A lot of clothing and bedding is also treated with chemicals to keep the fabric smooth in the package, etc.  That stuff can cause rashes and allergic reactions, too.  People who work in the industry making clothing also say that everything should be washed first.

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I was going to ask what you plan to take for lunch. Will your job have a microwave available?

We've had a bit of a discussion over this, because I have no idea. I am not going to contact the company and ask questions so I won't know for sure what facilities will be available until I get there on the first work-day next month.

Obviously, there will be port-a-potties and there must be supplies of water to drink. Some sort of independent food-van will probably arrive around lunchtime to sell food to workers. They turn up anywhere they think they will find customers. There is a rum-shop (they also sell cutters) right at the entrance to Cattlewash but that's ¾ of a mile away up a steep hill. Otherwise, there isn't anywhere nearby to get food, so you will have to bring something from home. 

Now, many sites have a Site Office. This is generally mobile and can be a converted half-container or quarter-container. It is where the paperwork is processed and stored. It might be air-conditioned, it might have a microwave and/or a kettle. Even a small fridge. It would probably contain a desk and a chair for whoever does that paperwork. (That guy looks like it's going to be me, BTW.) There is often a landline phone, but in the modern world of cellular phones, maybe not. Although Cattlewash is down behind a hill and I understand that cellular connectivity can be spotty. Perhaps there is Wi-fi, and seeing as the boss told me they use WhatsApp a lot, that may be the case here. Electricity supply for the site generally runs through there with an electricity meter on the outside. Security lights and so forth would be wired from there.

This is what I've observed on construction sites over the years. Whether this particular site has any such Site Office, I won't know until I get there. 

If there is a Site Office and if it contains a microwave, I can pretty much take what ever I like for lunch, so long as it will fit into a rubbermaid. Rice, pasta, soup, whatever. But for the first few days (I start on the Wednesday) I will go expecting to have no facilities whatsoever. I will buy a one-week data plan for my phone in case I need to have one to perform the job and there is no wireless. I'll chuck a few extra dollars on there at the same time. A longer-term data plan can be bought later if it is required. I will take a bowser of water and keep it in the car. I will take a thermos of lime squash or tea, to wash the dust out of my throat a couple times during the day. Food can be two cheese cutters made the night before or even a pack of Eclipse biscuits with a boiled egg or a piece of red herring. Or some sort of pastry like a lead-pipe or a rock cake. Hot meals are completely optional for me. In fact, meals are completely optional. I spent years going off to work without breakfast, skipping lunch and settling for one meal - dinner - every evening. I know this is not wise, but I can manage on crackers'n'cheese or a lead-pipe and a coke or something like that, for the first few days until I know what the lay of the land is.  

OK, so washing new clothing is the right thing to do. Sounds silly to me, but I won't argue. However, if I am short of underwear (say) or socks and I have to go and buy. I am not sending that to the laundromat and waiting for it to come back, before I use it. I will use it the one day, and then it can go get washed!

Mo is in the figurative doghouse. I got up this morning and found that he had done a poo in the kitchen. But it was the same yesterday morning and the morning before. He got a warning and some stern talk the first time, and a finger paddle yesterday, but this morning he got the belt. And for at least a while I am making him understand he is not welcome inside. He is nearly two years old and completely housebroken for a long time now, so I don't know why he has decided to do this. We make a Garden Patrol every single night, rain or shine, never have missed a single day. (There is far more likely to be rain than shine on our patrol.) The door usually doesn't close until 11:30 or midnight, and when he comes at 4:00 AM and asks that the door be opened, I get up and open it. So I can't see what excuse he may have. 

I hate not having him underfoot, but when he decides on something he is relentless. I sleep without a mattress because he suddenly decided he had to pee on it several times a day and could not be diverted. This latest trend has to be halted. Currently, he gets a new type of chow which I'm trying. He likes it well enough. but I may switch him back to the "Green Bag" Purina and see if that helps. 

Another hot day. And a sprinkle of rain now decides to fall but it doesn't seem to be cooling things. Only increase the humidity.

• Like 2

In bed after our Garden Patrol. Mo did not take the opportunity to "do his business" so regretfully, he will be sleeping outside tonight. 

It was wet grass and a million whistling frogs and no sign of even a single star in the black vault above. Rain has begun to fall since our return from the Patrol.

Clocks by Coldplay. If I recall, this band was initially quite inept on stage. Their studio recordings were technically excellent but when standing in front of a few hundred people they became bumbling, bungling amateurs. I do believe they are a little more polished in concert these days. Or at least I hope so for their sake. 

Veggie soup for lunch. Potatoes, carrots, cucumber, pumpkin and lentils. Thickened the broth with a little cornstarch. Came out rather well.

Dinner was frybread and some lentil & corned beef "stew" to dip the bread in. Although I spent more time dipping it in melted butter! The frybread came out best ever:

PXL_20230724_235048280.thumb.jpg.23c0bb2c02b82df235df88f800c87cc9.jpg

They puffed up nicely, browned quickly, were crusty on the outside and fluffy inside, and retained a slight chewynes that I prefer to bread that just falls apart on your tongue. 

2 cups all-purpose flour, ¾ cup of corn meal, teaspoon of baking soda sprinkle of salt and just enough water! Ended up with more than I could eat and even with Mo's enthusiastic help, we still left one behind to be put in the fridge for tomorrow, maybe.

Mo is here with me, alternating between the window and curled up against my back. But I am going to take a shower later, then I will close the door and he will be on the outside of it. I'm tired again so it won't be long. 

Got to make a deposit tomorrow. Also got to chase up Jerry about the insurance on the van. Need to look into prescription refills. Not going to be easy to do from down in Cattlewash!

Shower! Puppy ejection! 😪 Sleep!

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

That fry bread would be good with a sprinkle of powdered sugar on it! Or honey! Or both! 😛

A bit of sugar and/or some raisins in the dough would have been nice too. Plus a melted butter and honey dip! Unfortunately, I don't know how I got them to come out so nice this time, so I don't know what to do to get them to come out nice again next time!

Six this morning and a clever boy began barking loudly under the window and running around to the front door, repeating until I opened up for him to come in. Then a lengthy period of vigorous cuddling and snuggling, burrowing into the pillows, sneaking under the sheet and demanding back scratches, tummy rubs, nozie tickles and all that good stuff.

• Like 4

Squelched around the garden tonight with a cool, dry zephyr blowing. A quarter moon (first) halfway up.thevsky to the west and if you stop and shade your eyes from the nearby lights you can make out a couple dozen stars. Mo did not do his business and will be sleeping outside again tonight. He doesn't know it yet - he is here bathing my legs here bathing my legs for me and pretty much forcing me to have a shower shortly.

For lunch, the remaining frybread from last night and a cup of tea. Dinner was a simple sauce of bully beef and onion plus some bottled sauce and a good splash of local pepper, over macaroni. Tasted good. 

My clothes that had been taken away to be washed (even the new socks) have been returned. I didn't realize at the time but an assessment was made and fully half of my tee shirts - nearly 30 of them - have been condemned and placed in the "Home Use Only" category. Which is pointless because I never wear shirts at home anyway.

I am receiving some very strange instructions regarding clothes to wear to work. I have four pairs of suitable jeans and I've been told never to wear one pair two days running. I am to bring them to wash on Sunday and collect them again in Monday or Tuesday. The math doesn't work out. I have four pairs of trousers to wear over a period of seven days and no trousers are to be worn more than one day. I'm getting even more confusing instructions about socks and gears. And a shirt must be worn only once before washing. But the company provides shirts with their logo on it. I dunno how many but I would be surprised if it were more than three!

Last place I worked that provided me with monogrammed shirts, they gave me three. I went to the factory and had them make me a dozen more and insisted they include a pocket. The pockets cost me a buck extra per shirt. I was the only employee with a pocket on my company shirt. Much to the confusion of the other staff, including management.

Mo is giving me a very thorough bath and it makes typing difficult on this little device. I have a sore spots inside my mouth, between upper jaw and cheek. Not sure what caused it. Don't know whether to go and ask Dr. Kristi for some antibiotics or not. Won't get a chance after next Wednesday. And Tuesday is a bank holiday.

Been checking my calendar. Saturday is my last time at Brighton Farmers Market - at least for the foreseeable future. I don't think either Mark or Toni will be there, so I can't say farewell to them. It occurs to me that if I have to be at work at Cattlewash at 7:15, I could go to the market for 6:00 when it opens to customers and so long as I got going from there by 6:30, I should be able to make it to work with a quarter of an hour to spare. And with a few dollars, I could buy a couple of focaccia from Katherine and see what Sally would charge me to make a sugar bowl & lid. Hell, with some pay in my pocket I could also get s bunch of veggies for the week.

BS this morning, BTW was 4.9 which is as high as I ever want to see it. But I'm happy that at least it is back in the sub-5 zone again. 

Comprehensive insurance on the car is going to cost $1,085.04 for the year. Thirty five bucks more than 3rd party. I think it is probably worth the extra. So accordingly, the first payment has been made but I am still waiting on my cover note. It's being emailed to me, so I don't know why it didn't arrive this afternoon. I hope It does come tomorrow because I'd like to get it printed and keep it in the car.

Poor Mozie. He is snuggling down against my back. I guess he is getting ready for bed.

PXL_20230726_030812891.thumb.jpg.806d52adb4a5d9722e8bb7c436ca3978.jpg

Alas, he is getting turfed out of the house as soon as I come back from my shower. And I think he's tired. He certainly is yawning big-time...

PXL_20230726_030803879.thumb.jpg.3d37592f1683e4fba7eeef04f7ce8c36.jpg

• Like 2

Dirty Hole by VAST. The general consensus is that the dirty hole in which so many men have died is not the immediately obvious reference to a cheating girlfriend but is the grave, dug in the dirt, in which all men find an end to their existence. It strikes me that it might be an admonishment to God for a design in which all men must die, and in such numbers. The repetition of the question "How many dead men, God?" in the nasal monotone chant that backs the lyric speaks to this. I think he asks the question: "Why did you create a world in which men must die in the millions?"

I felt like a betrayer when I closed the door on my baby just now. He stood and watched as the door closed, confident that he would be called in for the night. And I let him down.

15 hours ago, Netfoot said:

. I have four pairs of suitable jeans and I've been told never to wear one pair two days running.

15 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I have four pairs of trousers to wear over a period of seven days and no trousers are to be worn more than one day.

Unless the "trousers" are different than the "jeans", I don't see the problem. "Don't wear one pair two days running" means you can't wear pair X on both Monday & Tuesday, but you can wear pair X on Monday & Wednesday (since that is not "two days running (ie in a row)"). 

58 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Unless the "trousers" are different than the "jeans", I don't see the problem. "Don't wear one pair two days running" means you can't wear pair X on both Monday & Tuesday, but you can wear pair X on Monday & Wednesday (since that is not "two days running (ie in a row)").

You think like me! 😆

Day #1, I will wear trousers #1 and then hang it up to "air".  Day #2 I will wear trousers #2, then hang it up to "air". Day #3, trousers #3. Day #4 and I will take down trousers #1 and wear them. Day #5, trousers #2. Day #6, trousers #3.

Day #7 and I am comatose from exhaustion but I send trousers #1, 2 & 3 to wash.

Day #8 I wear trousers #4 and collect pairs #1, #2 & #3 on my way home. I will hang up #4 and the next day I will wear #1...

So the weekly sequence will look like (1-2-3-1-2-3) (4-1-2-4-1-2) (3-4-1-3-4-1) and so forth. And who knows? With a paycheque coming in, additional pairs of jeans may appear!

Set off at 9:30 this morning to see Dr. Kristi about the sore spot in my mouth.  Didn't want it to blow up down the line and force me to take a day off work. Although she is less than half a mile from me, I didn't get there until past noon! She was leaving so I couldn't see her, so I tried to make an appointment. Booked full tomorrow & Friday, Monday & Tuesday are bank holidays, and I start work at 7:00 on Wednesday. Oh well. Why did it take so long? Because I stopped at my bank on the way. They are crooks, I tell you, crooks! Only the insurance companies are worse. Well, at least on par!

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2

Your mouth sore is hopefully just a mouth ulcer. They’re very annoying. I used to get those infrequently when I was a bit younger and have no idea what causes them. My mom used to make me put powdered alum on it. I haven’t had one in years but will probably get one next week now that I’m talking about it, thank you very much.

• Hugs 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Your mouth sore is hopefully just a mouth ulcer.

With any luck!

I normally wouldn't bother about it and wait for it to go away by itself, but I don't want it to flare up into something horrible on my first week in the new job. I don't want to start by asking for time off!

My mom used to make me put powdered alum on it.

We used to suck salt-prunes. But around here salt prunes come from Trinidad and I have not seen any since the start of the COVID panicdemic.

Maracas-Beach-18.jpg

Salt prunes in the jar on the right. The red ones have a bit of sweet'n'sour flavour. You can also get blackish ones 

Chinese_preserved_plum_snack.jpg

but these taste of nothing really but pure salt. These are probably better for your ulcer than the red ones but the red ones taste better.

I used to be a salt-prune-aholic until I discovered pepper mango. This comes in two varieties. The first is a red-stained fruit that is still moist enough to squeeze juice out of.

7b108f4224297113f64e015d019fbe5b--trinid

I don't like that type. It is often called red mango. But there is another where the flesh of the mango is cut into thin strips and dried to the consistency of leather. Peppery and delicious! The central jar in the first photo shows pepper mango. (Sorry, I'm not sure what the left-hand jar contains. Unless it is pickled Topi Tambo or something like that.)

I know exactly where that top photo was taken, BTW. It is at a well-known road-side stall on the way to Maracas Bay. Last time I was at that stall was 2nd June 2015 at about 9:00 the morning.  This was the second day of my Trinidadian tour with my buddy, a fellow Trini. You can see a small number of photos taken that day if you visit this small album.  My buddy's fingers are already stained with red mango, the type I don't like. If you do view the album, click on the little "i" to bring up information to get a brief caption for each photo.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 3

Lying in bed, falling asleep to Down In The Park by Tubeway Army with singer Gary Numan. Mo is curled up against the back of my legs but he's going to be put out again tonight. I would really like him to stay and snuggle with me but once again nothing "happened" on Garden Patrol. Speaking of which: very similar to last night except the grass was not wet.

Need a shower but can barely keep my eyes open. When I'm done showering Mo goes out and the door gets closed. 

Argued with Clauda today about bank holidays. She told me Monday & Tuesday next week are holidays, and I disagreed. Emancipation Day is 1st day of August. Kadooment is the 1st Monday in August. If Emancipation  & Kadooment clash, Kadooment wins and Emancipation is observed the following day (Tuesday 2nd). Clauda was wrong but I let her win the argument. However as a rule of thumb it is unwise to argue with a guy who has written software to accurately compute something. They may just know things you don't.

(As an example of this, everybody knows that a leap year is any year that is evenly divisible by four. But everybody is wrong! A leap year must be evenly divisible by four and not evenly divisible by 100, or it must be evenly divisible by 400. Therefore 2000 was a leap-year but 1900 was not and 2100 won't be either.)

Went for a roti for lunch, but was enticed with a buss-up shot plate instead. Alas they had no buss-up shots and offered me a dhal puri plate instead. This is essentially a dhal puri roti skin instead of the buss-up. I had this with boneless chicken, channa, pumpkin and potato. Philip the owner of the shop always serves me himself if he is around, but unfortunately he is not as generous with the serving spoon as his serving girls. Oh well, it was plenty enough as it was and Mo got a pretty good haul of the dhal puri dipped in the curry gravy.

Dinner was a bowl of gruel with raisins in it. Would have preferred something else but couldn't be bothered to cook.

Anyway, setting my wake-up alarm earlier each day to prepare for a work start at Cattlewash of 7:15 so I'd better go and have my shower, wake up a puppy and throw him outside (and OMG he just released a fart that should be classified as a bio-weapon!) then get some shut-eye. (OMG! Again!)

I learn a little more every day. The construction project is a house being built for Lord Bamford. That is Bamford as in J. C. Bamford, his father. JCB? #3 behind Caterpillar of the US and Japan's Komatsu? The rare Ferrari 250 GTO, valued at $70 million? He owns two of them... I guess this translates into: Don't Screw Up The House! (And don't miss the deadline by so much as a day, either!)

• Like 2

Performed the entire Garden Patrol with only one shoe. Mo carried the other shoe in his mouth, carefully staying out of reach the entire time. As the patrol came to an end, I switched my torch from LOW to STROBE (which is extremely bright) and I was able to retrieve the shoe. 

Fundamentally Loathsome by Marilyn Manson. As a protégé of Trent Reznor of NIИ, it's unsurprising that Manson can be a little crude-mouthed. But I'm all grown up and have no pearls to clutch, and I find that some of the lyrics can be incisive and thought-provoking.

Sleeping propped upright! Didn't get the lights off until after 3:00 AM last night and got up at first light to let Mo 

Mo will sleep outside again tonight.  Hoping to sell some stuff on Saturday, my last day for the foreseeable future. Will use the money to buy some of the regular chow for him. After a couple days on that, I will risk him in the house overnight.

Discovered the origin of the bank holiday confusion. Next Monday is a holiday but it isn't one of the regular annual holidays. Monday is the 50th anniversary of CARICOM, a regional trade grouping. Tuesday is Kadooment and the following Monday would then be Emancipation day. Then nothing until Independence at the end of November.

Anyway, it's five to two so time I think to go to sleep. But first, I must lock my baby out in the cold, icy blizzard...

2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I hope Netfoot is ok and he’s only experiencing an internet issue. Anyone else a bit worried?

I am getting really worried! I hope something didn't happen to him or Mo. I don't think he has anyone that could tell us. 

• Hugs 2

Hey guys. I know you are very concerned about our fellow poster, Netfoot, but posting personal info such as full name, work location and/or phone number in-thread isn’t ok. Neither is discussing mod actions. I AM looking into it, but in the meantime, please PM each other of you want to continue to discuss. 

If Netfoot is brought back there also cannot be discussion of the mod actions in thread then, either. Again, take it to PM.  

• Like 3