Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Let's Go Crazy

Why is MJ apologizing to Niecy? Someone in her family (aside from kooky Grandma) needed to make it really clear to Niecy that being 19 with 2 children, no partner, no education, and no job is a phenomenally bad life plan. Someone needs to help Niecy start better choices, and quickly. That's all Mary Jane was trying to do.

And that BS move that David did to PJ after Mary Jane hurt his feelings was just plain wrong. PJ didn't cause this mess, so why make him suffer? He brought David a legitimate business deal and deserved to be dealt with professionally.

Mary Jane. Here's hoping there are better times on the other side of this implosion.

• Love 6

TVForever: I agree with you and PJ, David was a buster for reneging on the deal just because of MJ's nonsense.  Business is business...or should be.

I really hate MJ for how she handled the David situation both the morning after and in ending the relationship.  She played a part in the drama too, but she acts as if he was the sole source of the problems. Ugh!  On the flip side, it was great seeing MJ speak up for herself at work.  She's played the game for all these years and still isn't winning.  Why not make demands and shake things up a bit?  I so respect her for that.

Loved how Chris Spencer's character (is his name "Chris" on the show too?) checked David when he made that comment about why he doesn't date Black women anymore.  You rarely see another man respond to a comment like that in the way that Chris did.

I liked this episode.  It became even more clear how screwed up MJ's personal life is, yet she seems to have it all together outside of that.  Some of her issues hit a bit too close to home!

Edited by damalanop
  • Love 5

I really hate MJ for how she handled the David situation both the morning after and in ending the relationship.  She played a part in the drama too, but she acts as if he was the sole source of the problems. Ugh!  On the flip side, it was great seeing MJ speak up for herself at work.  She's played the game for all these years and still isn't winning.  Why not make demands and shake things up a bit?  I so respect her for that.

Loved how Chris Spencer's character (is his name "Chris" on the show too?) checked David when he made that comment about why he doesn't date Black women anymore.  You rarely see another man respond to a comment like that in the way that Chris did.

That was nice to hear.  I can't stand when ONE black person does something questionable, the entire race or gender gets generalized.  It's bullshit, and I was glad when Chris called David out on it.

However, MJ's neurotic behavior was all over the place.  It was worse than usual.  I can't believe that she would want David that badly that she'd be willing to have project twins with him.  I'm like, girl, why are you potentially giving yourself baby mama drama? Cause ya'll know if David had to leave her to tend to his other child with Anna(?), MJ would have a conniption fit. 

If she did get pregnant, she couldn't say a word to Niecy about her choices.

TVForever: I agree with you and PJ, David was a buster for reneging on the deal just because of MJ's nonsense.  Business is business...or should be.

I really hate MJ for how she handled the David situation both the morning after and in ending the relationship.  She played a part in the drama too, but she acts as if he was the sole source of the problems. Ugh!  On the flip side, it was great seeing MJ speak up for herself at work.  She's played the game for all these years and still isn't winning.  Why not make demands and shake things up a bit?  I so respect her for that.

Loved how Chris Spencer's character (is his name "Chris" on the show too?) checked David when he made that comment about why he doesn't date Black women anymore.  You rarely see another man respond to a comment like that in the way that Chris did. 

However, MJ's neurotic behavior was all over the place.  It was worse than usual.  I can't believe that she would want David that badly that she'd be willing to have project twins with him.  I'm like, girl, why are you potentially giving yourself baby mama drama? Cause ya'll know if David had to leave her to tend to his other child with Anna(?), MJ would have a conniption fit.

The entire episode, I kept asking MJ, "what are you doing? " I respect that she's taking an inventory of her life and taking steps to become the person she wants to be. But in the process, she's pushing everyone away who cares about her. I agree with Niecy--she's mean! This is not the Angry Black Woman stereotype. MJ takes her misery and turns it onto everyone else, making it their fault and their issue. Instead of making positive changes in her relationships, she's choosing to sabotage them entirely. --At work, Kara has been her ally and advocate, but MJ treats Kara like shit.  --She's pushing all of her friends away: Lisa, Nichelle, Valerie, and her brothers. Mark and Niecy are the be the only people she has left.

--And David? What was that shit? She flat-out told him that she only wants him as a baby daddy. If she didn't get pregnant, they were over. But what about their feelings for one another besides the (potential) baby? That doesn't matter to MJ?

A few other things:

• MJ mentioned that she and David have been off and on for 5 years. But I thought they knew each other in college, which would have been in the mid-90s.
  • Please, no more scenes with MJ on the toilet.
  • I thought Gabrielle Union was supposed to be a good dancer (she was great in "Bring It On"). So what was that crazy gyrating she was doing at the end of the episode?
Edited by topanga

And David? What was that shit? She flat-out told him that she only wants him as a baby daddy. If she didn't get pregnant, they were over. But what about their feelings for one another besides the (potential) baby? That doesn't matter to MJ?

A few other things:

MJ mentioned that she and David have been off and on for 5 years. But I thought they knew each other in college, which would have been in the mid-90s.

Please, no more scenes with MJ on the toilet.

I thought Gabrielle Union was supposed to be a good dancer (she was great in "Bring It On"). So what was that crazy gyrating she was doing at the end of the episode?

The show keeps retconning her relationship with David.  They had a casual thing going on, but later we find out that they grew up together, or at least ran in the same social circles.  He broke up with her because she was going through his phone.  But this season, the reason for them not being together was David's mind games. From what I'm watching, he seems to be interested, but MJ doesn't know what she wants.  I guess maybe they knew each other for years, but didn't get serious until five years ago?  Which, given their history, five years is too short for her to be going on this desperately.

As for the dancing, Maybe Gabrielle looked better in Bring It On since those moves were choreographed? I didn't mind the dancing at the end.  She was home, and that should be the time when you can do your silly moves without being self-conscious.

• Love 1

I am enjoying this season much more than last season.  Mary Jane has always had a bunch of issues so nothing she does, or that happens to her, surprises me anymore.

I am done trying to keep up with the history of MJ and David.  However, I can take their back and forth better than what MJ had with the married guy.

It was clear that David was just working with PJ to be closer to MJ but it was nice to see PJ standing up a bit for his sister, even if it did affect his business dealings.

• Love 1

The show keeps retconning her relationship with David.  They had a casual thing going on, but later we find out that they grew up together, or at least ran in the same social circles.  He broke up with her because she was going through his phone.  But this season, the reason for them not being together was David's mind games. From what I'm watching, he seems to be interested, but MJ doesn't know what she wants.  I guess maybe they knew each other for years, but didn't get serious until five years ago?  Which, given their history, five years is too short for her to be going on this desperately.

I bailed on the show after S2E1 for this very reason.  Pick a back-story and STICK WITH IT.  I believe there was also some mess about David focusing on his career right when they graduated college, and wasn't ready for marriage.  This is the first episode I've watched since the premiere, and it's still a clusterfuck.  

It's so strange, Brock Akil (and her writers) nail the character dialogue - it's so damn authentic, and in a world of absurd Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, and Empire, I'm so very grateful for this.  But the retconning really detracts from the show. It makes MJ appear more unhinged that she should.

Mara, I was/am rooting for you! But I can't ride with you on the retconning.  It's why I bailed on Scandal and why I'm not interested in S2 HTGAWM. It's a pet peeve of mine now, and why I don't watch as much TV as I used to.   

The newsroom scenes never ring true to me.  Union isn't selling that aspect of the character, and so, in the episodes I've seen, my eyes always glaze over during those scenes.  Frankly, I've been more interested in Kara's career, probably because Lisa Vidal is much more effective with the newsroom stuff.      

• Love 2
(edited)

On the flip side, it was great seeing MJ speak up for herself at work.  She's played the game for all these years and still isn't winning.  Why not make demands and shake things up a bit? 

MJ's in no position to be making demands.

Mainly because her recent focus group results were negative.  But also, she didn't hesitate to throw Kara under the bus with Kara's boss (for telling her about the focus group even though she knew Kara had specific instructions otherwise.)  And she got up and walked out in the middle of a production meeting, where the goal of everyone sitting there is to make her show successful.

When you go prima donna on your colleagues, betray your strongest professional ally and your audience finds you arrogant--maybe hold up awhile on telling your boss the "new rules."

Next week has a big news story--maybe MJ's coverage will turn everything around and make her a newsy rock star.

Edited by candall
  • Love 3

I too found it strange how high and mighty Niecy was acting... strange. Yes MJ can be mean and sometimes her delivery is not the best but she loves her niece and wants the best for her. MJ has been absolutely on point regarding Niecy's life choices... and I get tired of people who only want you in their business when they want your help but get all crazy when you dare to give advice. You want my money, time and help yet you don't want to hear my mouth... you can't have it both ways. I would like to see Niecy stand on her own two feet and make better choices and drop the whole holier than thou bullshit attitude she has now. She should also be apologizing to MJ and thanking her for all she has done. 

I also agree with the David and MJ storyline. In the movie and season 1, it seemed like they were no more than friends with benefits and now the show has done an almost complete reversal of their relationship. Some consistency would be nice. 

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 3

Mary Jane is an idiot.  

Life is simple.  She wants David, David wants her, they should be together.

See how simple that is?  Too bad MJ wants to make everything complicated.  

I think when you get older you see how simple life really is and how we make things so complicated.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1