Type keyword(s) to search

Titus: He's Not Iron Man

Here's a question that's been nagging me since I started watching this series: We know why Kimmy's character is constantly referencing early 90s culture and misunderstanding anything that was introduced or invented during the years she was in the bunker. But why does Titus seem to be at least partially stuck in the 90s as well? He made a specific reference to "It's the 90s!" in one of the first episodes of Season 3, he still buys cassette tapes/is surprised that he can't find a tape tower at Best Buy, and other examples that I can't think of right now. He obviously has some recent pop culture references (e.g., lemonading), so it's not as though he ignores the present day completely. Has there ever been an explanation for this? One thought I had was that he's mentally stuck in 1997 because he's still upset/depressed that he didn't get a role in The Lion King musical (which debuted on Broadway in 1997). 

• LOL 1
(edited)

I was pleasantly surprised that Titus actually grew a bit this season. Mostly through his relationship with Mikey. Letting Mikey go to figure out what he really wants was a pretty unselfish thing for Titus to do. The last Lemonade parody in that episode was surprisingly poignant in that effect. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 3
On 5/26/2017 at 8:38 AM, mstar1125 said:

Here's a question that's been nagging me since I started watching this series: We know why Kimmy's character is constantly referencing early 90s culture and misunderstanding anything that was introduced or invented during the years she was in the bunker. But why does Titus seem to be at least partially stuck in the 90s as well? He made a specific reference to "It's the 90s!" in one of the first episodes of Season 3, he still buys cassette tapes/is surprised that he can't find a tape tower at Best Buy, and other examples that I can't think of right now. He obviously has some recent pop culture references (e.g., lemonading), so it's not as though he ignores the present day completely. Has there ever been an explanation for this? One thought I had was that he's mentally stuck in 1997 because he's still upset/depressed that he didn't get a role in The Lion King musical (which debuted on Broadway in 1997). 

A big part of the series in general seems to be that it's a love letter to the '90s. Yes, it definitely makes sense for Kimmy to be stuck there (she was kidnapped in 1999) but I think Titus is just a continuation of that theme. And I can't hate, I wish the '90s had lasted forever.

• Love 1
On 5/29/2017 at 8:28 PM, JustaPerson said:

I was pleasantly surprised that Titus actually grew a bit this season. Mostly through his relationship with Mikey. Letting Mikey go to figure out what he really wants was a pretty unselfish thing for Titus to do. The last Lemonade parody in that episode was surprisingly poignant in that effect. 

I agree Titus showed some growth, although I think the show didn't quite follow through. Titus had some moments of progress that were quickly forgotten when he regressed (the heighest, ruining Kimmy's fun bunker). I could believe that Titus would regress, but the show didn't seem to remember that Titus had shown any growth. To me it felt like they came up with a bunch of Titus stories and didn't bother to connect them all. I enjoyed him more this season than I had in the past and I think Tituss did a great job with the material he was given.