Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Climb That Hill

In the 100th episode, the gang takes on new personal challenges: Jules tries to read a book for the first time, Grayson tries to listen to his friends and remember what they have to say, and Andy tries to keep his hand out of a place it doesn't belong.

That's what they go with for a 100th episode story? Andy sticks his hands down his pants? Ugh. At least Laurie was as grossed out with kissing Travis as we usually are. Also I'm pretty sure the hulk hands were Travis' in a previous episode (though I suppose Stan could have a pair too).

For anyone wondering, Jules' mom's name was Bea (which I suppose just about rhymes with Kiki) and according to her license, Ellie's birthday is Valentine's Day, not whatever Grayson sang.

Saying that, I was more bored than frustrated with this episode. At least Grayson/Jules and Laurie/Travis didn't spend that much time together.

• Love 1

I guess my perception was altered by the prom debacle, because I didn't think was bad. Not great, but not terrible. Laurie and Grayson's movie was cute enough, but I do think it's amazing that a mom as dedicated as Jules was wouldn't have read to Travis before bed. That's almost parenting 101. 

I do think they re doing a lot to remind us why we liked the show -- early callbacks and such -- but it might be better to actually write better episodes. I get the feeling they are just tired of it all. 

• Love 3
I do think it's amazing that a mom as dedicated as Jules was wouldn't have read to Travis before bed.

Maybe they meant chapter books or adult books? Because I can see her living for "Love You Forever" and "The Giving Tree." 

I'm so sad, I used to love this show and now when I watch it, all I can think of that everyone seems to have had waaay too much cosmetic surgery and they don't even try anymore.

Did we know Laurie was a reader? It's odd that the one thing she has in common with Travis has played no role in the unsolved mystery that is their relationship.

I enjoyed Jules in this episode. From the perversity of "I would say the same thing in front of 1,000 kids, books are for losers" to the bizarre list of Travis's positive(?) attributes. And I kind of agree with her on the "acted out by pretty people" thing on most novels.

Nope, Laurie's not a reader. Or at least wasn't in the episode where Ellie & Travis bonded about being the only non-dumb ones in the group. They ask the others if any of them have read a book in the last sixth months - Laurie said no and Jules had only read the margarita machine instruction manual.

• Love 2

Yeah, Laurie-as-reader was never ever hinted at. And if anything, she'd be reading Harlequin and other bodice rippers (not that there's anything wrong with them), or sticking with gossip magazines. I see this as yet another pathetic attempt to show that Travis isn't too good for her.

I was ashamed to hear a grown woman declare how much she hates reading. And when did Jules move into complete moron territory that she doesn't understand common cliches and phrases? How on earth is she a successful business woman?

They were spot on with Tom as a future serial killer. Maybe in the last episode (which is the next one, yeah!), there's a mass murder at Jules's house and they're all offed by Tom.

The only thing good about this episode was Ian Gomez. Dang he is a hot, sexy, burly bear. Seriously. 

• Love 1

This season has been pretty uniformly terrible, but I still laughed at Travis telling Andy to get his hand out of his hairy cookie jar.

As a woman, I never understood the appeal of putting your hand down your pants, even when Al Bundy did it.

• Love 1

If Jules as a non reader was meant as satire, it flew over my head.  And I'm not usually one to miss satire.  I think the joke was a horrific thud. Yeah, we get she isn't the most educated of the bunch (above Bobby, maybe on par with Laurie), but to abhor reading at all was just a miss. As joanne3482 said, I can't imagine she didn't read Trav kids' books.

As much as I liked this show past the first bit on ABC, I'm glad they're ending it now. At this point, I kinda wish they'd ended it when Bobby left for Georgia.

• Love 1

Guys like to touch their junk.

And even more to have it touched.

Maybe they meant chapter books or adult books? Because I can see her living for "Love You Forever" and "The Giving Tree."

If she can get through "The Giving Tree" without breaking down into a puddly mass of tears, then she's a better man than I. And just from the title I don't event want to think about what "Love You Forever" must be about.

That's it. Sadly, although for me it was better than most this season, there wasn't anything remarkable about this ep.

That's it. Sadly, although for me it was better than most this season, there wasn't anything remarkable about this ep.

I liked it too. I laughed a bunch of times. Sure it wasn't as good as say season 2 but it was a lot funnier than what we have seen from the rest of this season. I liked Jules being stupid and not being able to read anything without falling asleep. Of course she is stupid, I don't think she has ever been shown not to be stupid. I mean she married Bobby.  Plus Grayson's songs always make me smile, and we haven't really seen many of them lately.