Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: Coco Jack, BedRyder, Frill Clothing, Twin Z Pillow

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

The projections for the Twin Z pillow were weird. I mean, they had solid sales, but then the wife said their forward projections were based on their past growth rate: doubling every 9 months. Yet, they also stated 135,000 twins are born per year. Doesn't that limit the growth potential? Looking at it quickly, doubling every 9 months, quadrupling every 18, means even starting at a modest 200 sales in their first 9-month period, sales would hit 135,000 in six years, meaning no more growth, right? That's assuming they make every possible sale to every possible subset of the subset (and, assuming, they meant "135,000 sets of twins" instead of "135,000 twins from 67,000 pairs").

In the US. Now the customer base would reach saturation in the US for mothers of twins after a number of years but there is foreign markets. Also the pillow can be used for pregnant women in general so you have the whole pregnant customer base not only in the US but worldwide.

http://publictransport.about.com/od/Transit_Safety/a/Why-Don-T-Buses-Have-Seatbelts.htm

I didn't read that whole article but a friend in the school bus business said it's because they're safer without them, due to the nature of the bus interiors and the logistics of freeing many trapped passengers in a fire situation.  

The seat belt law would also be impossible to enforce on a bus. The bus driver cannot make sure every passenger would be belted up. Also the belts would break or be destroyed by passengers. 

Did Brooklyn get moved out of New York City?

I was in a sorority for 2 years before I finally was able to convince my dues paying parents it was horrible and was able to quit.  That was in line with the "affordable" options given to us for rush week.  We even bought an outfit (that was terrible), and when it was determined it looked terrible on over half the sorority, we had to buy a DIFFERENT outfit, no returns on the first one!!!  The alumni picked the outfits.  Nothing better than an 80 year old lady telling college kids what will look cool to incoming freshman.  Probably the MOST infuriating part (except for maybe when I was told to tie a cardigan around my neck- really? Does anyone outside a J.Crew ad do that?) was when we paid $50 for a t-shirt that you could get at Target for $10.  '

Yes Brooklyn due to the Hipster infestation is no longer considered part of New York. Like Florida is not part of the South.

You know those 80 year old alumni got a kickback from every 50 dollar t-shirt that was sold.

I kind of want to invent something, start my own business, make it so successful that all the sharks want in on it, and go on Shark Tank and take Robert's offer, no matter how much better the other shark's offers are.  

I was hoping the twin pillow people would turn to Mark and say, "We know you are out, but we really respect you and you know these other sharks well, which offer should we take?"  I realize that the other sharks would probably drop out because the entrepreneur would be then be considered flaky, but I really want someone to ask an "out" shark his/her opinion on a which deal is best.  

Coconut guy - a flighty guy with a product that has a very small market

Truck bed guy - being strapped in takes all the fun out of riding in the back.  I wonder why the inventor and guy that owns 85% didn't show up - the salesman avoided answering by saying they agreed on it, but didn't give an explanation.  

Twin pillow - that thing is huge.  It would take probably take up too much shelf space to do well in retail.  It also seemed a bit cumbersome to use - it looked like the mom couldn't get herself and the babies situated by herself - someone needs to hand her the babies after she gets in and then take the babies away when she was done.  Plus, it probably isn't the right height for everyone to breastfeed with, so that could be uncomfortable or you would need something to help prop the babies up to the right height.  I had my babies one at a time, but I would think that using two pillows would be better, once you got the hang of it.  But new moms and friends/relatives of new moms will buy anything if someone tells them it is better for them or the baby.  

Frills - If there are enough foolish college women that want to belong to sororities that make them spend $500 on matching outfits, then someone might as well take advantage of them

I detest sororities and fraternities, and found the Frill presentation nauseating. The brunette with the plastered-on smile was scary.

I felt like the blond was on her way to being Lori 2.0 - she smiled through everything she said and had sickly-sweet, condenscending  tone to her voice

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

Another article about Frill. Slow news week in North Carolina.

The company primarily targets sorority women who are trying to purchase stylish, more affordable outfits for recruitment — a week that can cost college students hundreds of dollars, [co-founder Sharon] Bui says.

I'm sounding like a broken record, but their model also cost "hundreds of dollars".

Additionally, I'm just saying, it's not a particularly good time to be "Greek".

but I really want someone to ask an "out" shark his/her opinion on a which deal is best.

I wish for this every single week!

I kind of want to invent something, start my own business, make it so successful that all the sharks want in on it, and go on Shark Tank and take Robert's offer, no matter how much better the other shark's offers are.

Amen.  I love me some Robert.

The sorority girls, that one girl looked so much like Alison brie it was freaking me out. Also that musical intro was so bad and wooden, also couldn't the coconut guy sell in Asia?

He said himself they eat that brand of coconut and use it for their cuisine. I have family in china and its kinda easy to set up shop; and he seems like he would be up for that new adventure going to Taiwan, South Korea, and China to sell his products or have company home base.

Edited by JellyFishQueen
I was hoping the twin pillow people would turn to Mark and say, "We know you are out, but we really respect you and you know these other sharks well, which offer should we take?"  I realize that the other sharks would probably drop out because the entrepreneur would be then be considered flaky, but I really want someone to ask an "out" shark his/her opinion on a which deal is best.

To the best of my recollection that has happened once, with someone asking Mark to weigh in. (He's also offered unprompted advice many times.) I do think it's an interesting dynamic and he'd be a good guy to ask for a fair answer.

Not to say you shouldn't like Robert, but just a counterpoint: http://www.cnet.com/news/stiffed-by-shark-tank-vc-startup-ceo-perseveres/

Eh, I'm on the fence, because I like Robert and this quote from the entrepreneur made me give her virtual stink-eye.

Cummins points to her bare ring finger as we are talking, and tells me, "I really wanted a ring, but we took the money my fiance had saved for it and put it into the company."

Just saw the episode.

The coconut thing is a good idea if you would use it. I don't even like coconut water myself. It was very expensive though.

Boppy already has a twin pillow for breastfeeding. They have for years. Their design is, in my opinion, much better. I haven't used it (just had one kid, not twins), but the extra mother pillow/seat/whatever-you-call-it on the Twin-z would drive me nuts.