Type keyword(s) to search

The Carol Burnett Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm not sure where to post this question, so I'll try it here, since it involves a Tim Conway sketch.  I would love to see a sketch that I vaguely remember, but I don't know which episode or what the actual set-up for the sketch was (it was a long, long time ago when I saw it last).  It might have been one of the 'As the stomach turns' sketches, but I don't really think so.  All I remember is Carol answering the door and Tim was there.  I think he might have been in character as the 'oldest man'.  I want to say that he was an insurance adjuster or something (??)  I go blank from there until I remember a scene where he goes somewhere in the house and ends up behind the living room wall for some reason.  There is a painting of a farm scene over the sofa and he (while in the wall) open the door of the barn in the painting and looks out.  Then a tiny little horse leg appears in the doorway and kicks him in the nose.  You don't see the actual horse, just his back leg.  And, at some point, there is shaking (the house?  The picture?) and Tim appears in the barn doorway of the painting again and says (about the shaking) 'it's scaring the eggs out of the chickens'.  I might be mis-remembering big time, but I always wanted to see that sketch again.  I don't get any channel that shows this and I can't find it anywhere online, so someone else might remember it.  I just want to make sure I'm not crazy and making up the whole thing!  

• Love 3

You're not crazy! That's pretty much exactly how it plays out. I feel like the set is laid out the same way as the "As the Stomach Turns" scenes, but I also don't think it was that. I tried searching, and even though the Carol Burnett Show has an official Youtube channel, it wasn't on there. And you can imagine how many other sketches of his were in the results! I watch every night on metv, and they seem to rerun the same episodes, so I'm sure I'll see it again soon.

• Love 2

I just recently got into CB - I've long been a fan of Mama's Family but then someone told me they stemmed from the sketches on this show, so alas! Here I am :-)

I think the true appeal of "The Family" sketches is that they're so relatable. Who among us hasn't had some version of essentially ALL the sketches? And as annoying as it can be when it's happening to you personally, it's just fascinating to watch (in that proverbial car wreck kind of way) when it's someone else's.

On 8/31/2016 at 8:53 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And heeere's the famous "Elephant Story" outtakes!

WARNING: Do NOT DRINK or EAT while watching this!

On the 50th anniversary special 2 nite, Carol said that Vicky's ad libbed line at the end was the funniest ad lib of the entire series.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Soobs said:

Saw this on Twitter and thought y'all would agree.

IMG_0719.jpg

I feel like it’s time for an “oldie” show to be bumped for a reason other than the death of one of the stars. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
Edited to say this is from the Better Call Saul forum.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I just watched Carol's 90th birthday special. I adore Carol Burnett, have since I was a little kid, but I kind of expected this to be the usual cringey Hollywood honour night. 

But it was awesome, because you could see how everyone there, and there were a LOT of people, just genuinely love Carol. Whether onstage or in the audience, there was so much warmth from everyone and it was a joy to watch.

I loved that her bestie Julie Andrews was sitting beside her the whole time.

3 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I just watched Carol's 90th birthday special. I adore Carol Burnett, have since I was a little kid, but I kind of expected this to be the usual cringey Hollywood honour night. 

But it was awesome, because you could see how everyone there, and there were a LOT of people, just genuinely love Carol. Whether onstage or in the audience, there was so much warmth from everyone and it was a joy to watch.

I loved that her bestie Julie Andrews was sitting beside her the whole time.

You may be interested in checking out the thread for the special:

Sorry that may be pointing to a specific post but you should get the idea. 

If you’ve never seen the last 10 minutes of the final episode before, it’s worth your time. For a long time, this episode wasn’t available, because we only had the half hour cutdowns in syndication.I think those last 10 minutes make this one of the all-time great series finales. The parade of guests, the monologue, the final song, and final shot at the end of the credits are pitch perfect.