Type keyword(s) to search

Carol: At Whom To Throw To-mah-toes

I'm assuming we will get a sad back-story at some point from Carol to explain why she is so adamant about maintaining the rules which are no longer needed. I doubt it will make me want to punch her less, though.

I don't think we need anything more sad than what she has already experienced.  Both she and Phil faced similar sad circumstances.  Phil sought to fill his life by embracing the lack of structure.  Carol sought to fill the empty space by creating structure that ceased being imposed on her. 

I think that explains both of them.  They simply reacted differently to similar circumstances.

• Love 2

I don't think we need anything more sad than what she has already experienced.  Both she and Phil faced similar sad circumstances.  Phil sought to fill his life by embracing the lack of structure.  Carol sought to fill the empty space by creating structure that ceased being imposed on her. 

I think that explains both of them.  They simply reacted differently to similar circumstances.

I agree with this -- in theory -- but the way they wrote/presented her was very off-putting.

• Love 1
I agree with this -- in theory -- but the way they wrote/presented her was very off-putting.

Exactly. As someone who likes Schaal, I think this show needs to humanize her more somehow. The sob story is the tried and true method, which is why I expect it.

For me, the character's not quirky enough to move her past annoying at this point. And let's face it, Schaal isn't cast to be the romantic lead, so I don't see an eventual mutual attraction blossoming. Because of that, I think she's likely to stay somewhere in this vein, personality-wise.

I love Schaal on Bob's Burgers, I think she (and the whole BB cast) is brilliant there, here she needs to be toned down, or there need be more people entering the scene as to set her off.

It's strange to me that, while Phil and Carol present opposite ends of the spectrum of crazy, somehow she's worse than him.  I actually find her worse but when I stop to think about how incredibly disgusting Phil is being... If you really stop to think about it, if you were the last woman on Earth confronted with this man, how would you respond??  I think any reasonable person would be somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.  But for some reason, her extreme is worse.  Isn't that odd?

• Love 1

I don't know if we need a sob story, but I think it'd be nice if they show us how Carol was dealing with being alone for a year(s?) before she met Phil.

• Love 1

I want to like Schaal...I just can't. .. except, as I said, in cartoons.

I feel just the same.  Her character on 30 Rock annoyed me in the sense that I wished she wasn't on the show, rather than in the sense that I enjoyed watching her play an annoying character.  Will Forte kind of shades in that direction for me too - so while I thought the first two episodes had some promise I may just blow this one off.  Too much TV to watch anyway.

(edited)

I don't know if we need a sob story, but I think it'd be nice if they show us how Carol was dealing with being alone for a year(s?) before she met Phil.

How has she been going to the bathroom for the past two years exactly? (OK, well not exactly. I don't need that much detail.) It's as if this is a new issue in her world.

I think I prefer Phil over Carol because he isn't openly criticizing her or trying to change her, but she is doing that to him. And while a toilet pool is gross on so many levels, it is a sort-of solution to a legitimate problem. Stopping for stop signs, on the other hand, is in no way logical.

Edited by morgankobi

I think I prefer Phil over Carol because he isn't openly criticizing her or trying to change her, but she is doing that to him.

And of course while I don't want to go too heavy on this - of course this is  one of THE obvious male vs female hack comedy schticks.  Plus her wanting to get married while he doesn't care, she want a clean house while he doesn't care, etc.  So far most of her annoying characteristics are stereotypical ANNOYING WIFE things, same as his annoying slob characteristics are stereotypical ANNOYING HUSBAND characteristics.  Which I assume must be the joke - that even the last man and woman on earth would have exactly the same fights that every man and woman the writers know personally do.  Sorry, I'm already annoyed since I don't know anyone male or female who actually embodies these cliches (other cliches, sure, but not these ones).   I'm aware enough of the writers' pedigrees to be willing to give the show time to subvert all of it - but I may (hell, what am I saying - WILL) be checking the recaps and the forums here to decide whether I'm going to continue to watch - as opposed to just continuing to watch.

• Love 4

Yeah, both Carol and Phil's behavior makes sense to me. Carol is sticking to the rules because the rules keep people safe. I liked that at their first meeting, Carol pulls a gun and wants reassurance that Phil is a "nice person". Being the last person on earth would be terrifying, but I think it would also be terrifying to realize that you're not alone. What if the other last survivor turns out to be a cannibal or a rapist or a violent drunk, etc? I felt bad for Carol. She was probably driving around, looking for survivors, and then she started to see Phil's "Alive in Tuscan" signs so she gathers the courage to find the person who made the signs and when she finds him, he's a creepy perv who is sniffing her underwear. No wonder she wants Phil to follow the rules. Once the rules are totally gone, things don't usually work out for women.

• Love 5

Yeah, both Carol and Phil's behavior makes sense to me. Carol is sticking to the rules because the rules keep people safe. I liked that at their first meeting, Carol pulls a gun and wants reassurance that Phil is a "nice person". Being the last person on earth would be terrifying, but I think it would also be terrifying to realize that you're not alone. What if the other last survivor turns out to be a cannibal or a rapist or a violent drunk, etc? I felt bad for Carol. She was probably driving around, looking for survivors, and then she started to see Phil's "Alive in Tuscan" signs so she gathers the courage to find the person who made the signs and when she finds him, he's a creepy perv who is sniffing her underwear. No wonder she wants Phil to follow the rules. Once the rules are totally gone, things don't usually work out for women.

Agreed.  I totally felt her pain when she was ranting about how much she doesn't want to "repopulate" with him.  But even those moments of understanding her still couldn't totally balance her character for me -- WHO is going to marry you, Carol?  There's NO ONE to perform the ceremony, sign the legal documents, etc, etc.  I guess that's part of why she was more annoying to me -- although he was disgusting and pretty stupid, his descent actually seemed a bit more... non-delusional?? .... except for where he was talking to sports balls and making out with a mannequin??  Okay, at least in his interactions with her he came off as the less crazy person.

I think if we could smell them, Phil would be the more annoying person.

Also, he's passive, compared to her nudging. It's easier to not be annoyed when he's not doing anything. But when something needs doing? Carol is my pick any day.

ETA: even though she finds him sniffing her undergarments, when he passes out she tries to revive him-- so she may be immediately suspicious of him, but she's also forgiving.

Edited by possibilities