Type keyword(s) to search

Replacement Soundtrack

madesi
  • Start Topic

I watched Queer as Folk on Netflix (judge me later). I never saw this show in the original run. I liked some of the music so when I went to look up the songs I found they replaced the old soundtrack with a new one (I know digital rights, copyrights, blah, blah, blah) But after listening to the old soundtracks, I think I like the Netflix one better. According to a lot of the Queer as Folk fans this seems to be blasphemous. I'm guessing I'm competing with nostalgia, but this made me curious, has anyone watched anything after it's original run found they replaced the music and liked the newer one more? 

I have yet to find anything that has replaced music that I think is better for it.  The first show that comes to mind is "Life".  The original soundtrack for that was amazing!  I bought a lot of the CD's because I heard the songs/groups on the show.  When the DVD's came out I was devastated to find out so much music had been replaced.

I don't know about any of you, but sometimes, when entire theme songs are replaced (in the case of shows that use pop songs as theme music, anyway), mostly on streaming, but sometimes also on the DVD versions as well, it can be a turn off for me. Case in point: The Wonder Years, primarily due to its use of Joe Cocker's cover of "With A Little Help Of My Friends", which is so distinct from The Beatles' version, it a) sounds like a completely different song (in a good way, in my opinion, and I quite like the Beatles' version), and b) to use a different version of that particular version (which is done for the streaming version on Netflix; not sure who sings it), to me, doesn't give me quite the same feeling when watching the show.

A show that uses replacement music for its theme that isn't a total turn-off for me is Absolutely Fabulous, this time, on Hulu (though I still prefer the original theme music). One consequence of not being able to get music rights in certain episodes was glaring in one episode in particular--the Season One episode in which Edina turns 40, she's gifted with a karaoke machine, and normally, at the end, we see her and Patsy do a drunken (while chain-smoking, of course) rendition of "Satisfaction", as well as the opening theme song, while the credits roll. Instead (if I recall correctly; it's been a few months since I've seen the episode), there's an awkward cut after they're at the karaoke machine, fade to black, then the credits roll. Notice this in any other shows in which music would otherwise be used or utilized in some sort of way?

• Love 2

Is there anyway that you can tell me the name of the artist and song that is playing at the end of season 1 episode 22? It's playing during the hospital scene. I am looking for the song in the Netflix music not the song that was originally used by Showtime, Parce Mihi Domine by Jan Garbarek and The Hilliard Orchestra. I would appreciate in help...

I am watching it for the first time on Netflix and I think the music is wonderful. I saw all the comments in the Netflix reviews about the soundtrack being "ruined" and like here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gay/comments/1xo4b8/rant_queer_as_folk_streaming_on_netflix_has/ you can see someone complaining about this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRg-1W5sVMc&feature=youtu.be being replaced. They wrote "Was watching the prom/bashing episode and instead of THIS perfect song playing during the dance scene it was some random terrible knock off :(" - I know for a fact that I love the song that they replaced it with actually a bit more, I think. I know the song "Save The Last Dance For Me" well, especially the Michael Bublé version, and when I watched the episode for the first time on Netflix, I noticed that the song sounded like "Save The Last Dance For Me" musically, but it had different lyrics. And honestly, I think the voice of the singer, the unique lyrics... I think overall it was a better choice, it really was. Seeing the real, original scene with the original song choice on YouTube... it's boring in comparison, less special. :P

I hate that the Netflix version of the soundtrack is LOVELY but completely uncredited and impossible to find the songs.

Someone else here agrees with you and thinks one of the Netflix songs is the one they want to find, and it seems to me they like it better than the one they found "on YouTube", meaning from the DVD/TV airing of the ep.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140218225436AAcK7lE

• Love 1

I found this link on the Everything Else TV section.  Looks like WKRP is finally being released with a lot of the original music!  They couldn't get all of the songs, but they got a big chunk of them (the bands are listed at the bottom).  This is one show that simply wasn't the same w/o the original music. Of course, with some scenes, it wasn't a big deal, but with others, it was so important to the scene that the new songs made those scenes fall flat.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/tv/comedy/wkrp-in-cincinnati-the-complete-series

• Love 1

Caught the beginning of an episode of The Partridge Family on one of the digital over-the-air channels (either Antenna TV or Me-TV) yesterday. I remember when it was on Nick at Nite in the '90s (wasn't around during The Partridge Family's early '70s run, so I didn't watch it until it reran on Nick at Nite), and it had the original theme ("C'mom Get Happy"). This episode had a soundalike theme, but it wasn't quite the same. I haven't found that to be the case for other themes on either network that I've heard (even the freakin' WKRP theme--and that show's music within the episodes, as noted above, was too expensive to put into a lot of the reruns). Is that theme that expensive?

The replacement music thing is something I've seen fairly frequently in the English dubs of anime shows, sometimes because of the differences in the IP laws and sometimes because no one ever bothered to register ownership of a particular song in Japan. For example; it's fairly common to hear "Happy Birthday to You" (owned by Warner Music) in the Japanese version of a show, but to hear a generic birthday song substitution in the English dub.

Best entire soundtrack replacement I've ever heard was Club Foot Orchestra's soundtrack for Metropolis. I saw them perform it live at a showing of the movie once.

I know I'm not the first person to be very, VERY disappointed in the replacement music on Netflix. Don't get me wrong, QaF is among my all-time favorite series so to have it on Netflix streaming at all makes me happy - but the original music was just as significant as each character, plot, scene. Some particular scenes, such as the Prom scene, absolutely hit it out of the park with the original song, but to watch it with the awkward, out-of-place sounding song really takes a lot of the emotional impact of what you're watching. I have the DVD set and the soundtracks, so I still get to hear the song, I just wish Netflix was able to get the licensing for the original music.

One consequence of not being able to get music rights in certain episodes was glaring in one episode in particular--the Season One episode in which Edina turns 40, she's gifted with a karaoke machine, and normally, at the end, we see her and Patsy do a drunken (while chain-smoking, of course) rendition of "Satisfaction", as well as the opening theme song, while the credits roll. Instead (if I recall correctly; it's been a few months since I've seen the episode), there's an awkward cut after they're at the karaoke machine, fade to black, then the credits roll.

While those actors' performance of Satisfaction is intact on the DVDs, I'm reminded of the season one DVD release of Remington Steele, in which - as originally aired - a drunk Laura stumbles into the office singing the same song.  Cut to her "where the hell is she?!" worried co-workers in Steele's office as they hear this and head out to the reception area to find their loopy boss, and carry on with an entertaining scene.  In the "we don't want to pony up" DVD release, however, there is no licensing of Stephanie Zimbalist's performance.  No replacement music, either, however -- just silence.  So we see her stumbling out of the elevator, and cut to Steele, Murphy and Bernice reacting to the sound of ... nothing. 

Since such performances are almost always cheaper, failing to re-license them for DVD release really annoys me.

• Love 1

I like the Netflix Soundtrack to Queer as Folk so much better. Why can’t the recording from the prom scene on Netflix and Keep the Flame in Season 4, Episode 10 be found anywhere to purchase?  If it’s recorded it should be somewhere!

On 3/13/2015 at 12:55 AM, Bastet said:

While those actors' performance of Satisfaction is intact on the DVDs, I'm reminded of the season one DVD release of Remington Steele, in which - as originally aired - a drunk Laura stumbles into the office singing the same song.  Cut to her "where the hell is she?!" worried co-workers in Steele's office as they hear this and head out to the reception area to find their loopy boss, and carry on with an entertaining scene.  In the "we don't want to pony up" DVD release, however, there is no licensing of Stephanie Zimbalist's performance.  No replacement music, either, however -- just silence.  So we see her stumbling out of the elevator, and cut to Steele, Murphy and Bernice reacting to the sound of ... nothing. 

I see this post is almost three years old, but if you have a multi-region DVD player, the German Amazon Remington Steele season sets do have this intact - as well as the rest of the original music in the other seasons.

Charmed used "How Soon Is Now?" by The Smiths as it's theme song (which actually made no sense at all since the first line is "I am the son" & the show is about sisters), but they waited so long to put the DVD out, they lost the rights & used some random music instead. Netflix also uses that music. It's not an improvement.

• Mind Blown 1