Type keyword(s) to search

Focus (2015)

SallyAlbright
  • Start Topic

Will Smith stars as Nicky, a seasoned master of misdirection who becomes romantically involved with novice con artist Jess (Margot Robbie). As he’s teaching her the tricks of the trade, she gets too close for comfort and he abruptly breaks it off. Three years later, the former flame—now an accomplished femme fatale—shows up in Buenos Aires in the middle of the high stakes racecar circuit. In the midst of Nicky’s latest, very dangerous scheme, she throws his plans for a loop…and the consummate con man off his game.

"Focus" is written and directed by Glenn Ficarra & John Requa ("Crazy, Stupid, Love."). Denise Di Novi ("Crazy, Stupid, Love.") is the producer, with Charlie Gogolak and Stan Wlodkowski serving as executive producers.

I really really enjoyed this film. It is just fun, nothing groundbreaking but pretty to look at and made for an enjoyable night at the movies. It's by the same directors of Crazy, Stupid, Love and has that same glossy look to it. This was the most I have enjoyed Will Smith in ages, he was back to his fun, suave, "Hitch" persona instead of the weirdo After Earth serious Will Smith. However, I thought Margot Robbie stole every scene she was in. That girl just has movie star presence, she is obviously gorgeous but really has charisma and talent as well. I have a huge lady crush! Despite their 20 year age difference, she and Will have great chemistry and it makes for a great romantic comedy/caper. Just don't think too hard about a couple of plot holes ;)

• Love 1

Margot Robbie is so hot, it looks like she was created in a lab. The fact she can actually act is highly enjoyable.

This was a fun little trifle where you saw most of the moves ahead of time, with the exception of Gerald MacRaney being Will's dad. He was such an aggressive asshole, I figured he was in on the con, but his dad? Nicely played.

Margot Robbie is so hot, it looks like she was created in a lab. The fact she can actually act is highly enjoyable.

This was a fun little trifle where you saw most of the moves ahead of time, with the exception of Gerald MacRaney being Will's dad. He was such an aggressive asshole, I figured he was in on the con, but his dad? Nicely played.

I haven't seen this movie and probably won't, but what I've seen in previews, Margot Robbie does a really good American accent.  Does she maintain it?

I know, I'm a straight female but she is just straight up beautiful. She's like the female Chris Hemsworth to me, hatched in some Australian perfect movie-star beauty lab. The fact that she is charismatic and can act just seems unfair. And yes, she does a very good American accent. I have a feeling she's going to be around for a long time so I'm really glad I like her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I know, I'm a straight female but she is just straight up beautiful. She's like the female Chris Hemsworth to me, hatched in some Australian perfect movie-star beauty lab. The fact that she is charismatic and can act just seems unfair. And yes, she does a very good American accent. I have a feeling she's going to be around for a long time so I'm really glad I like her. 

The funniest part of the movie for me was when he made that disparaging crack about Australians to her. I wonder how many people in the audience got the joke.

This was the main problem with the movie for me. I figured out almost all the cons before the reveal. Even that the guy was his dad, because he called him “boy” in the first scene he was in.

Pretty much the only thing that caught me by surprise was the fact that Jess wasn’t actually Garriga’s girlfriend. That was the only plot point that wasn’t telegraphed a mile in advance.

Edited by AzureOwl

Guys, I liked the film and I enjoyed it.  But I didn't really get why Jess not being (Rodrigo's) girlfriend was such a big reveal.  Why did that matter so much?

Rodrigo was already torturing her for information.  And then Nicky claimed that he was using Jess to get information on Rodrigo and screw him over.  So Rodrigo was set to kill Nicky and let Jess go, is that it?

So Rodrigo admits that he hardly knows Jess, and he's going to kill her too -- is that why it's such a big deal?

Thanks guys.

Nicky lied about placing the hacking device in the necklace he gave Jess so that he could get into Rodrigo's computer files to steal the program. Nicky's lie was exposed because Jess was not Rodrigo's girlfriend and was never in Rodrigo's room. So Nicky had to had some other person who was helping him to steal the program. It was Nicky's father who was working security for Rodrigo and the reason why he shot Nicky to cover the scam that he and Nicky set up together.

Also, Rodrigo got scared when Nicky's dad shot Nicky in the chest so he may not have wanted to kill Nicky and Jess. Maybe rough them up and take the money.

• Love 1

I thought the film was kinda boring (music was great), but shirtless Will Smith (more than once!) was a treat.  Also, he has a great ass - something I've never noticed before.  I do appreciate nicely filled trousers. Gerard McRaney has aged very well.