Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Ancient, Chinese, Secret

When a Chinese fortune teller is murdered in Portland’s Chinatown, clues lead Backstrom and the Special Crimes Unit (S.C.U.) to a laundry service serving as a front for an illegal gambling ring. During the investigation, fortunes also are told to each member of the S.C.U. team. But the information given to some members reveal more secrets about their pasts than others, and one burgeoning relationship is brought out into the open.

When a Chinese fortune teller is murdered in Portland’s Chinatown, clues lead Backstrom and the Special Crimes Unit (S.C.U.) to a laundry service serving as a front for an illegal gambling ring. During the investigation, fortunes also are told to each member of the S.C.U. team. But the information given to some members reveal more secrets about their pasts than others, and one burgeoning relationship is brought out into the open.

Did they skip any of the cliches?  I bet the fortune teller also had weird spices and stuff -- gotta throw that one in there, too.

• Love 1

It was a typical episode. Except there was more mysterious backstory hinted at with Nadia.

I did like Jingjing/Jimmy. I hope he returns.  Folks who make Backstrom pause get to come back, in my book. Not recurring, because he's a smug, assy dude, but he's Backstrom good. At least in this outing.

We got to hear a bit more about Valentine, which was fun. I hope that he actually was able to square his debts.  Regardless of the arrests, business is business.

I was hoping it actually was the grandfather's ghost.

PS--I am slow! Tonight was the first time I paid attention to the tiny writing during the credits; They are "I'm [X]" statements and the one I remember was the one for Hart Hanson--"I'm everyone." *g* It reminded me of the credits of House.

Edited by Actionmage

I thought it was pretty good, and had some really good lines -- like when they busted the gambling den.

Backstrom: "Nobody move, not even a twitch, or the enormous black man and the ginger dwarf will shoot."

Or the conversation on the streets about ghosts and doors.

Nadia's backstory gets more interesting -- witness protection, money laundering in her background, Nadia's not her real name.  May explain why she uses Internet cafes (referenced in the last episode), so she can't be tracked back to her home.

Backstrom seems a little concerned about his fortune, especially with all the medical problems he seems to have -- come to think of it, no Dr. Deb this episode.

• Love 1

Maybe Backstrom the Show won't make it to X-mas either... with low ratings and all..

Had to be the very typical gorgeous girl and detective stud being a couple. 

I think the "real" psychic guy told us Nadia's real name right?

I loved the callback to Episode 2 by Jimmy while being interrogated by Backstrom -- Jimmy would have to be a little bit psychic to know about Backstrom and Bella the killer whale-shaped kite.

Backstrom: "I'm you, I'm a cocky little psychic kid who thinks he sees the future. And the future tells me Davis Goo is going to kill me, so I stop by and I kill him first."
Jimmy: "I'm you.  A lonely depressed kitemaker who would drink himself to death out of boredom if there weren't evil people out in the world trying to outsmart him.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

The romance between Nadia and Niedermayer seemed to have come out of nowhere.  When Niedermayer read his forturne and it mentioned the "love of his life" and he looked at Nadia, that was a huge leap.  I don't remember any hints at a relationship before.  I suppose it stood out to me because I haven't really warmed up to Nadia yet.  She is probably my least favorite character on this show at the moment.

I'm assuming the episodes are being shown out of order since the promo for next week has Dennis Haysbert in a beard again.

• Love 3

I'm assuming the episodes are being shown out of order since the promo for next week has Dennis Haysbert in a beard again.

Based on a couple of other sources I've checked, they are indeed showing the episodes out of order -- Fox did this with 'Almost Human' and it made things really confusing too.

The Pilot episode was filmed about 2 years ago (I'll call that Production Episode 0 for simplicity since it's production code is way out of order), but based on the production codes of the episodes since the pilot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstrom_%28TV_series%29#Episodes), the order appears to be as follows:

Aired Episode           Production Episode

-----------------         ------------------------

1                                     0

2                                     4

3                                     1

4                                     2

5                                     7

6                                     10

7                                     3

Based on that list there are two produced episodes (#8 and #9) that seem to be missing from the order between aired episodes 5 and 6, so I think that Niedermayer and Paquet's relationship probably developed over those two so far unaired episodes.

@Mecca is spot on about the beard -- Almond had a mustache and goatee in the first four aired episodes, that then went missing for Aired Episodes 5 and 6, and is back in the previews for next week. So somewhere between production episodes 4 and 7, Almond shaves it all off.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Based on a couple of other sources I've checked, they are indeed showing the episodes out of order -- Fox did this with 'Almost Human' and it made things really confusing too....

More like destroyed Almost Human, IMO. Why do they do this?
  • Love 2
(edited)

Really, when has switching the episode order not led to a mass amount of confusion for the viewers?  I'm not sure why this is such a common thing to do.

Edited by Mecca
  • Love 2

I love this show.  I just find it so campy and refreshing from all the other stuff out there in tvland.  Unfortunately it's now up against The Blacklist.   

Be optimistic! Blacklist cannot last another season - no compelling villains and Spader spinning his wheels.

Somebody help me write Backstrom "profiling" Lizzie Keen.... "I'm you. I'm an attractive but dense FBI Agent...."

• Love 3
(edited)

"...who has daddy and abandonment issues, a savior complex and relies on a known, world-class liar who's lied to you constantly. Plus? You aren't too good with... the hair stuff. They have magazines for that."

Elizabeth: "Yeah? Well, I never had a prescription for a friend."

Backstrom: "You might look into it."

added: I think I like the problematic Backstrom more than Liz due to other cops respecting that Backstom- while acknowledged as problematic, if not dancing on the illegal/legal line--is a hard-working, good detective.  Elizabeth was introduced as a profiler but apparently she is an Action Girl after all. I like Strong Women, but I wasn't impressed with the writing for and around Elizabeth during Season 1. YMMV, of course.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2