Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: The End of Mourning

PinkRibbons

NOTE: Reign airs on Wednesdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Thursday night to view the new episode.

King Henry's poisoning is investigated by Francis and Mary. Meanwhile, the Duke of Guise's return puts Catherine in the midst of a romantic triangle; Mary confronts her feelings for Condé; and Greer finds herself in an unexpected situation.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8hCoySWG4

That was messy. Reign kind of put the nail in their lead pairing, didn't they? I really don't know how anyone could ever buy them again after  having mary fall for conde, which would not be an issue if francis was going to die, but toby confirmed he was in for season 3. So I'm just confused. They are going to put francis and mary back at some point, likely after mary is screwed over by this conde situation, but they will never be believable again. I know I personally support francis moving on and would rather him not take Mary back after this Conde situation blows up in her face.

Antoine and Conde are just a mess. I really expected more from them tbh and I'm sure we'll get to amboise eventually (which will probably now be about conde getting rid of francis so he and mary can be together) but right now they both just make me roll my eyes. This whole Bash murdered our bro situation is ridiculous.

I'm not a huge bash fan but they're really not going to have kenna fall in bed with another married king are they?

Narcisse is entertaining. I miss him and Lola.

I'm glad they kind of gave some closure to the Henry/Catherine poisoning situation, but I hate how they use poison as an excuse for everything.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 1

I just...I'm completely bewildered by what they're trying to do with Mary and Conde, because I can almost feel them through the screen, the actors desperately trying to make it work, and yet it won't. I do not buy it, it doesn't matter what the script is saying. The insane lack of chemistry between them is just so ridiculous to me. Well, and I also feel like no matter what the writers try to do to make Conde look good, he's so off-putting to me. Conde from the start always felt dirty to me (seriously, kidnapping prisoners of the crown for his own purposes and then getting praised for his chivalry in taking them? What the hell?), and there's something in his constant righteous anger that really rings almost hypocritical for me. I think it comes down to Lola's assessment of him -- he has this idea of himself as this constantly wronged white knight, but all he cares about really is himself, even if he deludes himself into believing he does things for some great love for Mary. It's such an appalling contrast to Francis's genuine understanding and consideration and, frankly, intelligence. Just UGH to that whole storyline. All in all I'm just so disappointed in the writers lately. They're going so off the mark with this whole Conde debacle. I didn't know Toby was signed on to stay, or I would maybe understand groundwork being laid for Mary's future disastrous marriages after Francis's death, but unless Francis will be hanging around season 3 as a ghost it all looks so tawdry and gross. I am not entertained by married people pining over idiots.

I was disappointed about Greer's storyline; where did she get the little money she had already, and why on earth did she never mention the idea of meeting up with Castleroy somewhere? If she won't go back to Scotland she still has a husband. Even penniless they'd be better off together than leaving her alone in a seedy inn.

I do think that Kenna may surprise us; she can kind of bounce from silliness to savviness. If anyone is going to blow open the real story of who poisoned Henri, I think it'll be her.

• Love 3

I also agree in that I don't like Conde as a character. He's so smug and self-righteous and hypocritical. It's not just the writing but the way the actor plays him. But I guess him and Mary are kind of alike in those ways tbh.

And the writing for Mary is giving me whiplash. Last episode, she pushed francis away because (she said) she loved him and wanted him to be happy. This episode, she had such a bad attitude towards francis. I literally rewound the episode because I thought missed something. And now it seems she doesn't want to be with Francis because she wants Conde. But it's no surprise because the person in the middle always takes a beating in triangles. Mary was downright unlikeable this episode. She needs to tell francis she has feelings for Conde.

I also agree with you that the actors are trying their hardest but I don't buy it. And destroying a young pairing that had great chemistry (IMO based on my viewing of teen shows) for meh chemistry and such an ugh character like Conde is mind-blowing.

I'm also disappointed with what they did with Greer, my favorite lady. It just seems like one more character they moved out of the way so Mary can lean on Conde all the time. They've stripped mary of all of her relationships except her ones with Conde and Kenna.

• Love 3

I'm probably way too old for this show, as last year I was watching for Henri and Catherine and this year I've been entranced by Narcisse (and unlike Spartacus, I can like Craig Parker here as most of the time he is just tormenting Francis, who I can't stand). I find the Condé/Mary scenes so boring, and as others have said, unbelievable, Condé and his brother are also eating up way too much screen time. Narcisse and Catherine saved last night's show for me. Not shipping them though. I'm still 12 at heart and want him with Lola.

I know I'm watching the CW but does EVERY character have to be in a triangle?

Also watched right after Wolf Hall...bit of a contrast in correct costumes for the era lol

• Love 1

That was messy. Reign kind of put the nail in their lead pairing, didn't they? I really don't know how anyone could ever buy them again after  having mary fall for conde, which would not be an issue if francis was going to die, but toby confirmed he was in for season 3. So I'm just confused

Maybe Francis is a ghost next season, heh. Did he confirm he's returning for the whole season? Maybe he's just in part of the episodes. 

Well it looks like I'll be taking a table for 1 because I don't mind Conde.  I strangely like Mary, but I've NEVER liked Francis.   I find the actor very off-putting.   

On a superficial level I think Conde is HOT and in terms of acting, I think he's on par with most of the young male actors on the show so that's to hinderance for me.    I just like the way his eyes smolder when he looks at Mary.    Hopefully this is in fact the end for Francis and Mary.

Catherine is getting rusty.   I can't believe she was outfoxed by Narcisse.

Seriously, can't anyone be happy on this show? I recently watched the first season on Netflix and I miss Mary and Francis, I also miss Kenna and Bash. The only thing I am sticking around for at this point is to see what Narcisse does.

• Love 1

Maybe Francis is a ghost next season, heh. Did he confirm he's returning for the whole season? Maybe he's just in part of the episodes. 

No. Francis is sticking around. And they renewed his contract like all the other actors. The actors were originally only signed for two years so they had to renew contracts after reign was renewed.

And they're turning conde into bothwell so I don't think they're going to scotland. Based on the preview, they are pulling from mary's time in scotland.

And they're turning conde into bothwell so I don't think they're going to scotland. Based on the preview, they are pulling from mary's time in scotland.

Is that spoilers or speculation? Cause if it's the former, please tag it (and then please post about it in a spoiler thread because I would love to know the details). Thank you!

Is that spoilers or speculation? Cause if it's the former, please tag it (and then please post about it in a spoiler thread because I would love to know the details). Thank you!

just speculation based on the preview for next week that aired on tv right after the ep! It is ok to talk about the preview if it aired on tv right?

just speculation based on the preview for next week that aired on tv right after the ep! It is ok to talk about the preview if it aired on tv right?

Personally I have no problem with it! I just caught the promo and will be putting it up in next episode's thread as soon as it's up on the Official CW Channel.

I have to admit that my knowledge of Mary's life after her return to Scotland is not particularly strong (I tend to focus on Elizabeth in that era). I would love to know what you're seeing in the preview of Bothwell's that you think they're giving to Conde!

Personally I have no problem with it! I just caught the promo and will be putting it up in next episode's thread as soon as it's up on the Official CW Channel.

I have to admit that my knowledge of Mary's life after her return to Scotland is not particularly strong (I tend to focus on Elizabeth in that era). I would love to know what you're seeing in the preview of Bothwell's that you think they're giving to Conde!

There are rumors that she plotted with bothwell to kill her second husband. In the promo, you have mary telling conde that francis has forbidden their union and conde looking upset. RL Conde, plotted to kidnap francis, the amboise conspiracy.

There has been casting indicating Amboise is happening. Another member who was key in the plot has just been casting and is scheduled to arrive around episode 18

I see the writers merging RL Conde and Bothwell. Conde is going to try to remove francis as an obstacle for him and Mary, so not for political reasons like RL, but because he wants to be with Mary. And everyone will suspect Mary plotted with Conde to get rid of Francis.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 2

Are we to believe Catherine isn't yet 40? Isn't that what the Duke of Guise said?

I might be misreading him, but I think what he was implying was that he and Catherine had already lived past the age most people got to, and that they should make the most of what time they had left. Clearly he doesn't know Catherine's gonna fight her way to almost 70, which was damn impressive. Although actually she may not even be fifty on the show right now, depending on how old we're supposed to think Francis is.

So, Greer is going to become the most powerful madam in France now, right? If the show doesn't go there I'm going to be so disappointed. 

She's always struggled with her station and held back on who she is because of it. I'd love to see her come into her own. 

I just...I'm completely bewildered by what they're trying to do with Mary and Conde, because I can almost feel them through the screen, the actors desperately trying to make it work, and yet it won't. I do not buy it, it doesn't matter what the script is saying. The insane lack of chemistry between them is just so ridiculous to me. Well, and I also feel like no matter what the writers try to do to make Conde look good, he's so off-putting to me. Conde from the start always felt dirty to me (seriously, kidnapping prisoners of the crown for his own purposes and then getting praised for his chivalry in taking them? What the hell?), and there's something in his constant righteous anger that really rings almost hypocritical for me. I think it comes down to Lola's assessment of him -- he has this idea of himself as this constantly wronged white knight, but all he cares about really is himself, even if he deludes himself into believing he does things for some great love for Mary. It's such an appalling contrast to Francis's genuine understanding and consideration and, frankly, intelligence. Just UGH to that whole storyline. All in all I'm just so disappointed in the writers lately. They're going so off the mark with this whole Conde debacle. I didn't know Toby was signed on to stay, or I would maybe understand groundwork being laid for Mary's future disastrous marriages after Francis's death, but unless Francis will be hanging around season 3 as a ghost it all looks so tawdry and gross. I am not entertained by married people pining over idiots.

Emphasis mine.

I'm torn over this storyline, only because of the bolded part of your thoughts (which I've seen echoed elsewhere). I can see why Mary should stay with Francis, politically. I have absolutely no interest in her and Conde together -- that storyline has always been irritating and contrived.

But what stops me just short of condemning it completely is the idea that because Francis is just such a swell guy, Mary should stay with him. It's echoes of Ted effin' Mosby from How I Met Your Mother, and "the guy I should be with" idea, when women's feelings really don't work like that. Just because Francis is nicer doesn't mean Mary should be with him. Politically, it makes sense for her (and I believe is political suicide if she isn't), but the (general) "poor Francis, he's trying sooooooo haaaaaaaard" arguments don't sit well with me. "Poor Francis, nobody deserves to be cuckolded" is a better argument. But Francis could be a dirtbag and if one believes in the sanctity of marriage, Mary and Conde would be an equally bad idea. I just don't like the idea that because Francis is so great, it makes what Mary is doing somehow worse.

Narcisse's scenes were great -- Craig Parker really plays the rogue anti-hero to the hilt. He just schooled the guy who plays Antoine -- both the character and the actor, in their scene together.

Edited by Eolivet

So what Mary is doing is not completely condemnable because... Francis is great? The fact that her husband is a 'swell guy' makes what she is doing less condemnable?

No, but if one truly believes in marital fidelity, it does not make Mary more condemnable because Francis is great. I believe it's a slippery slope otherwise: so adultery is OK if the husband is a jerk? Making the argument that what Mary is doing is worse because Francis is nice means that adultery is OK sometimes, but not when your husband is nice? Either adultery is wrong or it isn't, and I'm perfectly fine with it being argued that Mary is a terrible person for cheating on her husband. But the arguments I've seen (again, not necessarily here) is she's an extra bad person because it's Francis.

ETA: Thinking about it further, I now realize my main complaint is with the writers as opposed to any other fans. I feel like they have made this a story where you like it or you don't, depending on how you feel about Francis. Conde is such a non-entity, and the focus has been instead on how this non-Francis man makes Mary feel in relation to Francis. Mary's rape was about Francis, and now Mary's adultery is about Francis. That really is the exact opposite of feminism.

I actually love adultery storylines -- when done correctly, they can be quite powerful: the psychology behind what makes a person break their vows is fascinating to me. But this bores me to tears because all I know about why Mary wants to cheat is that this guy isn't her husband. Adultery storylines with a likable spouse can be really compelling, but this one isn't. What is Conde doing for Mary that Francis is not? I couldn't begin to tell you. Not because Francis is that awesome, but because Conde, to me, is that underdeveloped.

I don't blame Mary -- I blame the writers for teasing this really interesting storyline, except apparently the answer to "why does Mary feel the need to break her marriage vows" is basically "Because."

Edited by Eolivet