Type keyword(s) to search

X Company - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I knew someone was probably going to die from the team, but it still got to me. I had to pause the TV a couple of times because of my crying. :(

The reactions from everyone were spot on to their personalities, and I agree secnarf the wordless scene between Kristina and Sinclair was great, as was the voiceover with Tom and Kristina.

Maybe Kristina joins the team overseas next season. 

Bye Tom.

Edited by dkb
  • Love 2
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

That.

Was amazing.

I literally yelled "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat" when Faber showed up at the end. I wonder if there was a different ending filmed in case the third season wasn't a go.

I didn't think they'd kill Tom, but it does bring a degree of realism. So many died in Dieppe, it's statistically unlikely (understatement) that this group would stay intact.

Only a year to wait.

Here is the episode post-mortem from TVJunkie. With apologies for not including this earlier, I should point out there are spoilers for intended plot points of Season 3.

Edited by mledawn
  • Love 3

Tom is gone. Not totally surprised there, I can see why the writers picked him over Harry even if I don't like it.With Harry techie abilities it would be hard to kill him off and not have it be a major story issue.   One of the problems they've always had with Toms  character is his specialties overlap with Aurora's a lot so he never really had a specific niche the way the others do. The propaganda thing probably sounded cool in the writers room but never really made for great tv on its own. Krystina's reaction was brutal though and so was Neal's. 

I'm still kinda pissed we got no resolution on Miri.

If it wasn't for the writers saying she'll be back I'd be truly ticked off. Although I suppose they can't kill her off this close to Tom. 

I think we are going to get some more wavering on Fabers part. next season. I think he wants to defeat the Nazis but I doubt he realizes what the cost is going to be for that. Especially since I think he came to the team afterward to keep things away from Sabine

• Love 2

So, I was wrong that Sinclair was going to die although I knew that someone would. 

Faber coming back in the end made me jump. Really, jump on my seat. The scene was so powerful, the names and "I am here for them". Torben is an excellent actor, he is stealing the scenes. And when he is with Evelyne or Jack it is excellence on the screen. Gosh! Those guys are so good!

It is going to be very interesting to see Faber and Sinclair together. Can't wait to see what the writers do with this new possible relationship. And I really want to see Miri joining the team full time. I have seen some suggesting that Krystina joins the team in Europe but I like her where she is, doing what she does which is basically keep Sinclair's harem on task. 

Oh, and Sabine! I loved the character development and really want to see more of her next season

• Love 3

So, I was wrong that Sinclair was going to die although I knew that someone would. 

Faber coming back in the end made me jump. Really, jump on my seat. The scene was so powerful, the names and "I am here for them". Torben is an excellent actor, he is stealing the scenes. And when he is with Evelyne or Jack it is excellence on the screen. Gosh! Those guys are so good!

It is going to be very interesting to see Faber and Sinclair together. Can't wait to see what the writers do with this new possible relationship. And I really want to see Miri joining the team full time. I have seen some suggesting that Krystina joins the team in Europe but I like her where she is, doing what she does which is basically keep Sinclair's harem on task. 

Oh, and Sabine! I loved the character development and really want to see more of her next season

Yeah I don't think the writers though Miri would be as popular as she turned out to be. The writing was actually a little thin on the character she was basically a gypsy female version of Neil but Sara Garcia made much more entertaining than that. Although I wonder if Sinclair won't object to that at some point. It could make an interesting point of tension if he says they need to cut her loose and what the team would do about it. I don't see her going anywhere unless they want Neil to spend half the season in tears. 

I would like to see Krystina with the team next season if only for the inevitable mention of Tom. Sinclair being awesome is great to though. I kinda wonder what his reaction to Miri would be. If the show leaves France next year, Casablanca was basically the spy capital of the world at that point and it would have been the easy enough for our spys to get to. London has interesting potential for Neil backstory though too.  Why can't we the show run all year round again?

• Love 1

I am going to start with the one thing that bugged me: some of these actors get mumbly and it can be difficult to understand them. Neil did a couple of sentences that I rewound 3 times and I still can't be sure he was speaking English.

Episode was amazing though. During the firefight with the tank I turned to my husband and said, "Tom better not get his pretty face shot off." Oops. I will miss him. He was my favourite.

Warren Brown landed in Budapest Sunday according to his twitter feed so shooting for season 3 starts soon. Even more spoilery Sara Garcia tweeted she arrived there early this morning. Hopefully that means Miri's fate will be revealed in the first episode

On 4/6/2016 at 10:03 PM, mledawn said:

That.

Was amazing.

I literally yelled "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat" when Faber showed up at the end. I wonder if there was a different ending filmed in case the third season wasn't a go.

I didn't think they'd kill Tom, but it does bring a degree of realism. So many died in Dieppe, it's statistically unlikely (understatement) that this group would stay intact.

Only a year to wait.

Here is the episode post-mortem from TVJunkie. With apologies for not including this earlier, I should point out there are spoilers for intended plot points of Season 3.

At the last season 2 episode 1o when faber mentions the names, who were the characters, I could not find them listed in cast & crew. The names were, daniel deforest, albert bellerose, gills fournier

16 hours ago, abby999 said:

At the last season 2 episode 1o when faber mentions the names, who were the characters, I could not find them listed in cast & crew. The names were, daniel deforest, albert bellerose, gills fournier

They were the names Alfred had recited to Faber earlier, some of the ones killed in Terre-du-Fils as part of the "reprisals" for the assassination of Generalfeldmarschall Brandt.

I can't remember which episode the actual massacre was, but it was the one where they assassinated the General. I don't recall the names being specifically mentioned in that episode, they just show Alfred memorizing their appearances to match to names later on. Then at some point in either episode 9 or 10, Alfred recites the names to Faber, when Alfred and Aurora are trying to turn Faber.

I don't know...three seasons seems like a solid number. It's hard to maintain a good story much longer than that, and I'd rather they go out strong.

I'm new to this series because I live in the US and it's only available on DVD. (Why??) But I love it! I'm a huge fan of Evelyne Brochu from Orphan Black and her movies, and she's wonderful again here...though the flawless English always throws me.

On 2/4/2016 at 10:16 AM, PatsyandEddie said:

When Faber's wife was first shown on the couch, I thought she might have committed suicide. The look on her face after he walked away was hard to interpret. I doubt that's the last we'll see or at least hear about her.

I thought the same thing! Not sure what to make of her.

The look on Aurora's face when Rene got out of the truck was fantastic and heartbreaking. Evelyne played that so well. You can see Aurora struggling not to react, even as she can't help it.

Are we sure the mission was to kill Alfred? I didn't get that. It seemed to me like their mission was to handle the Alfred problem. If they had to kill him, they would. If they could save him, they would. There were a lot of unknowns.

Glad Forst is gone. Couldn't have happened to a nicer Nazi.

• Love 1
On 2/15/2016 at 4:31 AM, alexvillage said:

Yes, I think it was. Rene told told them about Camp X and there is a German POW there. There was also a hint that the ladies in Hydra would be using their training. 

This is in reference to the guy who scuba dives in at the end, right? He's a German spy, yeah?

Who are the ladies in Hydra?

I didn't get that anyone thought Rene was weak. I think they were disappointed and scared that they were all compromised, but that was it.

Good lord...poor Aurora! Poor Rene! That was all so awful.

One thing that bugs me about this show is that the French people speak English to each other. Would a spy in France really speak English to her French contacts? Maybe the male actors aren't fluent in French, so they don't speak it well enough for TV? I don't know. Evelyne Brochu, of course, certainly speaks the language fluently. So I don't get why Aurora goes around speaking in English to French people, especially since the Germans mostly speak German to each other.

Edited by madam magpie
59 minutes ago, madam magpie said:

This is in reference to the guy who scuba dives in at the end, right? He's a German spy, yeah?

Who are the ladies in Hydra?

I didn't get that anyone thought Rene was weak. I think they were disappointed and scared that they were all compromised, but that was it.

Good lord...poor Aurora! Poor Rene! That was all so awful.

One thing that bugs me about this show is that the French people speak English to each other. Would a spy in France really speak English to her French contacts? Maybe the male actors aren't fluent in French, so they don't speak it well enough for TV? I don't know. Evelyne Brochu, of course, certainly speaks the language fluently. So I don't get why Aurora goes around speaking in English to French people, especially since the Germans mostly speak German to each other.

The ladies at Hydra are Kristina and everyone else. The ladies who work at Hydra.

The reason French people speak English to each other has been well-explained on the CBC website and in interviews but basically there would be too much subtitles - more than half the episode would be subtitles - if they subtitled both German and French. Since there's more French than German, they subtitled German while having people speak with a French accent to signify that they're speaking French. When they speak English without the French accent, then they're speaking English. It's to facilitate viewing, not really the actors. They can learn - Evelyne Brochu didn't speak a word of German and she did just fine with that.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The ladies at Hydra are Kristina and everyone else. The ladies who work at Hydra.

The reason French people speak English to each other has been well-explained on the CBC website and in interviews but basically there would be too much subtitles - more than half the episode would be subtitles - if they subtitled both German and French. Since there's more French than German, they subtitled German while having people speak with a French accent to signify that they're speaking French. When they speak English without the French accent, then they're speaking English. It's to facilitate viewing, not really the actors. They can learn - Evelyne Brochu didn't speak a word of German and she did just fine with that.

Ah, yeah, I don't spend time on the CBC website, and I tend to think we shouldn't need to watch interviews to understand the story choices on a  show. It would have been cool if they'd come up with a story reason for it...like the characters are all predominantly English-speaking. Then Evelyne just speaks English and it's not noteworthy. But instead, they specifically made Aurora French Canadian.

As for the viewers, I guess I can see that rationale, though as someone who watches The Americans regularly, I don't think it's needed. Plus, it seems to me that the choice of subtitling the German makes it more pronounced and odd. If everyone just spoke English, yeah, I'd chalk it up to being viewer friendly to an English-speaking audience. But I already have to read the German, and then they give me a French Canadian character pretending to be a French spy in France who speaks English? It stands out to me, and I guess others if they've had to explain it.

Since I'm only on episode three, I have no idea that Evelyne speaks German later, but she's great so I'm sure she does fine.

I still have no idea what Hydra is. Do you mean the women at the Camp X headquarters? Is that office called Hydra? I'll admit to often zoning out during those scenes because they're just less compelling to me...though I really enjoy the whole show! English-speaking French people and all!

15 minutes ago, madam magpie said:

Ah, yeah, I don't spend time on the CBC website, and I tend to think we shouldn't need to watch interviews to understand the story choices on a  show. It would have been cool if they'd come up with a story reason for it...like the characters are all predominantly English-speaking. Then Evelyne just speaks English and it's not noteworthy. But instead, they specifically made Aurora French Canadian.

As for the viewers, I guess I can see that rationale, though as someone who watches The Americans regularly, I don't think it's needed. Plus, it seems to me that the choice of subtitling the German makes it more pronounced and odd. If everyone just spoke English, yeah, I'd chalk it up to being viewer friendly to an English-speaking audience. But I already have to read the German, and then they give me a French Canadian character pretending to be a French spy in France who speaks English? It stands out to me, and I guess others if they've had to explain it.

Since I'm only on episode three, I have no idea that Evelyne speaks German later, but she's great so I'm sure she does fine.

I still have no idea what Hydra is. Do you mean the women at the Camp X headquarters? Is that office called Hydra? I'll admit to often zoning out during those scenes because they're just less compelling to me...though I really enjoy the whole show! English-speaking French people and all!

I don't think they could have a story reason, since in the story, those characters are for all intents and purposes speaking French. That's why sometimes they have the accent and sometimes they don't. There's no story reason they could come up with to have French citizens speaking English in their everyday lives, and it really complicates the story and makes them pretty bad spies if they only speak English.

I hate subtitles, so for me, I'm grateful not to have to read them for half the show. I do enjoy listening to the German though, and there's not as much of it so it's not quite as bad. You'll find later on that when there is a relatively long scene, that they will use English. There is one scene in particular I'm thinking of, on a train, but if you haven't got there yet then I won't describe it further. Even then though, I was surprised at the switch to English but it was such an important scene that I was okay with it.

Hydra is essentially the communications component of it - the technology that allows them to encode/decode and transmit/receive messages.

28 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I don't think they could have a story reason, since in the story, those characters are for all intents and purposes speaking French. That's why sometimes they have the accent and sometimes they don't. There's no story reason they could come up with to have French citizens speaking English in their everyday lives, and it really complicates the story and makes them pretty bad spies if they only speak English.

I hate subtitles, so for me, I'm grateful not to have to read them for half the show. I do enjoy listening to the German though, and there's not as much of it so it's not quite as bad. You'll find later on that when there is a relatively long scene, that they will use English. There is one scene in particular I'm thinking of, on a train, but if you haven't got there yet then I won't describe it further. Even then though, I was surprised at the switch to English but it was such an important scene that I was okay with it.

Hydra is essentially the communications component of it - the technology that allows them to encode/decode and transmit/receive messages.

Ah! OK, thanks. Is one of those women a German spy? I feel like that was hinted at in season one, but I'm not sure.

The language thing also may stand out to me because I'm used to Evelyne Brochu speaking French. I know her from Orphan Black, of course, but I've also seen her in a bunch of French Canadian movies. So even in interviews, when she speaks flawless English (which I realize she does regularly), it throws me. And now she's a French Canadian character, who's a spy pretending to be French, speaking English to French people in France! And so my brain struggles... Plus I often feel like she's (and the others are) purposely trying not to speak the right language. It takes me out of the story sometimes, though I do have much less trouble with that when they all just do the accented English.

I think I must be the only person who doesn't especially care for Alfred. I don't actively dislike him, but he's probably the least interesting character for me. I love Harry and Neil and Aurora, of course. Sinclair and Tom are fine. Miri is cool!! I hope she's not a German spy or something. But Alfred just doesn't do it for me...

And I'm REALLY interested in Sabine after this episode.

On 2/20/2016 at 7:25 PM, secnarf said:

I like that this show acknowledges that the Holocaust didn't only involve Jewish people being systematically killed.

I like this too, especially since they're not doing it at the expense of the staggering affect on the Jewish population of Europe. Other groups were smaller in scale, but the reach of the Final Solution was huge and touched so many types of people. I also really like that we're seeing many different reactions to the Nazi occupation: collaborators, resistance fighters, Jews, Roma, Germans themselves. This show does a good job of conveying the scope of the war.

Edited by madam magpie

Wow...well that was awful.

I assumed Aurora and Alfred took/sent the pictures since they stayed behind watching Faber.

I feel bad for Sabine and really hope she becomes a spy helping the Resistance. I'd like Franz to turn as well, but I don't know if he has it in him. 

Stupid Harry. Listen to your boss next time.

Where indeed is Scubaman??

Edited by madam magpie

Okay so this a basic rundown of spoilers for season 3 I have gleaned mostly from various social media accounts.

Episode One's title is Creon vs Ixion. Set pics  show Sinclair is back in Paris. Also Sara Garcia's twitter has her going to Budapest for the start of the season so hopefully that means we find out #Wheres Miri in the first episode.

However she was back in Toronto by mid-july so she isn't around for long. Episode three is titled "One for the Moon" so I suspect we find out Miri's ultimate fate then. As long as it isn't stuffed into the refrigerator I'll be happy.

Episode 4 is called Promises and Episode 7 is The Hunt.

Dustin Milligan shows up at some point. As does Pierre Kiwit. 

It definitely looks like the team is heading to Germany this year. There are several pics of Alfred in a Nazi uniform again and this .

• Love 3

Okay that was way too short. Sabine is obviously not going to talk though this season would be really short if she did.

Scaring me like that with grave for Miri was uncool. Although realistically she has to be okay Neil has enough dead people already. I loved him just walking out on all of it to go find her. Although I fell like Aurora might have been able to stop him, she knows how to push his buttons better than Sinclair does. I laughed at Sinclair sending Harry after Neil. I mean what did he think was going to happen?

Also Neil and Franz need more scenes together all the subtle little shift in expression were amazing to watch.

Krystina kicks ass six different ways and evil doctor is captured. It was sickening to realize people like that actually operated in Canada.

Sabine father is giving me the creeps. Zealot Nazis always are. The guy was willing to throw his own grandson to the wolves.

• Love 4

Finally got to watch it.

The writers of this show are so good! I felt like something was always about to explode. Loved Sinclair walking in as the boos (well, he is) and having to face Faber, who I don't think can be trusted. But this is the point of the show, right?

And Kristina, red nails, red lips, red dress, red scarf, just stole the episode.

I also love that Ulli is still very present, and how much of an ass is Sabine's father? UGH!

The guy was willing to throw his own grandson to the wolves.

Because the only valuable people are the "normal" ones. He only kept quiet because his beloved, normal and pretty daughter loved Ulli

• Love 3

I thought this was much better than the first episode.

I liked that I genuinely didn't know if Miri would live or die, though I was leaning towards die.

I don't trust the priest guy. He knew that Neil and Harry were friends with Miri and he waited until after they killed her to say that he wanted to give himself up.

Best line of the night was Sabine: "I was told I had to come; no one said I had to be sober." That was also a great scene at the end with her and Franz's speeches.

I notice they have given up on actually speaking German this season.

• Love 2

Miri death is actually annoying me right now more than anything else. Not that it happened but the why? of it all. It feels a lot like fridging and I thought this show was better than that. Its also feels like overkill for Neil's character to have so many dead people. Mark Ellis called it realistic but it really isn't for Neil to just pick up and keep going after losing so much. Neil spent most of last season on the edge of a breakdown losing two people very close to him isn't going to make him better.   It also kinda feels like Walking Dead style "torture porn". Why does Neil suffer? because the writers don't seem to know what else to do with the character. WW2 is bleak but for it work as a narrative there has to be some hope too. Why not just let her escape through the TB wards? I'm hoping there will be some kind of purpose revealed or at least a reason revealed.

I notice they have given up on actually speaking German this season.

Stephanie explained that: the theme of the season is that one needs to identify with the enemy to fight the enemy. Or something like that. So they decided to have everyone speaking english. Probably a lot of interaction with Germans, so it is also easier for most people to follow without reading subtitles.

I liked how Harry just showed support for Neil in silence. 

And while I see how Neil could just fall apart with so much going on, I do know people who push well beyond their limit for a while, just to completely crash after a supposedly minor thing. Maybe this is something we will still see, the collapse of Neil. I have a feeling this show will not end in a positive note, as far as the characters are concerned. Since we know the history and how it ended, I do think Mark and Stephanie have something more subtle reserved for the characters.

• Love 1
On 2017-01-19 at 7:13 AM, alexvillage said:

And while I see how Neil could just fall apart with so much going on, I do know people who push well beyond their limit for a while, just to completely crash after a supposedly minor thing. Maybe this is something we will still see, the collapse of Neil. I have a feeling this show will not end in a positive note, as far as the characters are concerned. Since we know the history and how it ended, I do think Mark and Stephanie have something more subtle reserved for the characters.

I just feel like it was waste of the character. I really hate that they took someone who was such a strong female character and made her back into a victim with no agency. (Even Siobhan got to make a choice ) Its a classic case of a female minority character being thrown under the bus to service a fairly standard male character. This show claims to be feminist it should be better than that. It wasn't even necessary storywise, Toms death hit all the same themes this was just a retread of that story.  They even went out of their way to justify it. Most of Harry's line were why they couldn't do something not that different from things (like the prison camp breakout or Alfred's rescue) they had pulled off before.  I almost wonder if TPTB were just pissed off when Sara Garcia said she couldn't do the whole season.(Or maybe they could only pay her for one episode?) I think that's what really bothers me Tom's death was necessary this is just completely WTF?

I also feel like it is possible have gotten too dark here. There wasn't even any humor in last weeks episode other than Sabine's grand entrance which was more sad than funny IMO. Its one thing for a show to be emotionally demanding, its another to get to the end and say "that was depressing"  Which is what I did this week when the credits rolled.

Wow.

I do like how things are starting to come together. But Harry! What a punch in the gut. And so sudden, too. When they started running and the Nazis started shooting, I thought how unlikely it would be for them all to survive, but I didn't actually expect one of the three to die. I was fairly sure the kid would die, but that's it.

I was unclear from the scene between Sinclair and Kristina (where he tells her he will send her into the field) whether or not they knew about Harry, but I am leaning towards not. Just wait until Aurora finds out.

Sabine is starting to irritate me. I don't trust Heidi. The promo for next week looks intense.

• Love 2

Last week  was wondering if TPTB were trying to salt the earth a bit leave CBC with no way to spinoff or continue the show without them and now I'm fairly sure that's exactly what they're doing. Its almost ridiculous that we went for two seasons with 3 major deaths and now we're getting one every other episode. Tonally this almost feels like a different show and this version is hard to watch its almost grim. There's so little balance even the jokes have been few and far between the last few episodes.

Maybe I just checked out a little after Miri but I'm starting to feel numb to some of this shows tricks. The second that kid spoke I new he would die. It was just a matter of whether or not it would actually happen during the episode or if we just see him walking towards the camp. That's the other problem with being so kill happy eventually it isn't effective it just feels predictable.

The scenes with the boys in the train were effective though. Although in reality those trains were usually standing room only. At least a hundred people to a car. I've read a few accounts were people passed out from lack of air or food but were still held upright by the sheer number of people in the car. Of course that probably wouldn't have been possible to shoot scenes in.

I know everyone is thinking Alfred survives to tell the story but I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't. It would fit with the writers idea of subverting expectations. Or if he does Aurora doesn't. I never thought these two would have a happy ending.

Spoiler

Someone posted pics of Warren Brown on Instagram on set in costume on the last day of shooting so I am somewhat optimistic about Neil. Although I don't really trust these guys to avoid Big Guy Fatality syndrome.

3 hours ago, secnarf said:

Sabine is starting to irritate me. I don't trust Heidi. The promo for next week looks intense.

Sabine just doesn't know any better though. She has had an easy privileged life before the war and I can't hate her just for that. I think she is still in for a big wake up call.

• Love 1

Tis episode was really full of everything. At this point I expect anyone to get killed. The creators, the writing team are very thorough and did a lot of research, and keeping most of the spies alive would be unrealistic. Since they knew it would be the last season since before they started shooting, I think it freed them a little more to kill the main characters.

I thought they would kill Faber. I really did.

Sabine is privileged and her father would protect her from anything, and I am afraid she might realize that and become a real problem. There is so much going on in the show, though, I am not sure the writers would explore that.

I have a feeling that Sinclair's betrayal of his team will become one of the major plots in the second half of the season. I wonder what will happen when they find his son - because I am pretty sure they will bring him into the story.

Aurora is now 100% alone with the enemy. I think this is what the writers meant when they said that they would have to "become the enemy" to defeat the enemy - something like that. She will probably be the one with the heaviest task. 

Faber, don't trust him, not even a little bit.

• Love 2

Well that was better. It helps that Faber while technically the focus of the story wasn't actually the main character this episode. I do like his story but I started watching a spy drama and that's not what his story is. Also while Faber's story is fascinating he's not really sympathetic enough to carry a whole show. The Faber show has a a extremely ambiguous lead and I've never really liked those, I much prefer stories like Aurora's. Where the lead is not a saint but they are definitely more good than bad. I also liked that the show is pointing out the Franz isn't really a good person. He's not a evil one but at best he's a weak man with good intentions. I'm not sure if you put Neil or Alfred in his shoes if they would have made the same choices.

Also the theory on twitter is that Heidi is some kind of plant. Based on the area she probably Russian. It wouldn't be the only time the SOE and the KGB found they were working the same leads.

• Love 4

I too think Heidi is a plant. I never trusted her - she always seemed a bit off. And since the actress is British, I was wondering if maybe she will end up being the spy that is identified. Her being Russian would also be interesting - they haven't really explored the Russian side of the war.

• Love 4

If she was English they would now though.Technically they are all British agents as they are all part of the SOE. Canada didn't really have its own independent intelligence bureau until afyer the war. Even if Heidi had been working out of Bletchley park and was completely separate from the team they would have been made aware she was in the area just so they don't shoot each other by mistake. Ditto for the CIA (also they didn't have as many female agents at that time.)

The only other possibility besides the KGB would be the German underground but it wouldn't really make sense for them to have someone in Poland. Groups like the White Roses were more interested in getting people out and passive resistance than intelligence.

• Love 2