Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Operator, Help (St. John's County, FL)

I will be watching and waiting for a resolution to this one, for the husband looks guilty as hell.

I doubt this one will be prosecuted unless they uncover some real evidence, though.  It is all circumstantial, and there doesn't really seem to be enough for a jury to convict.

• Love 2

I also think that this will be a tough one to prosecute. Sure, I think that there's little doubt that the husband is involved, but can we take the leap past reasonable doubt? He's a lout, a con man  and he seemingly tried to contract for the murder of his wife, but if I was in the jury box I might not be able to convict the guy.I think the defense to the evidence is..."so what"  No forensics, no witnesses, just a lot of people who didn't like the accused much. Not sure that is enough....

• Love 2

If they play it right, I think they can make some hay with the fact that he bad-mouthed her so much after death. There is really no explanation for doing so except to deflect guilt. A good defender could disrupt one or two witnesses, but 8 ex-wives? That's a bigger hill to climb.

I suspect the cops can put this in the 'solved' drawer, even if a prosecutor doesn't take it.

As a tangent, can I just say how ooky I find it that there are men in the world who are so clearly pieces of shit but can still convince a dozen women that he's the one to hitch their wagon to? I despair for the species sometimes.

• Love 5

When it comes right down to it, really the only piece of evidence that can tie him to it is his admission that he knew about the phone call to the operator. He knew she was on the phone when he walked in on her. He lied about how he knew about that call and they have the phone company employee friend who can testify. Next step up is the fact that he tried to hire Tweet (is that right?) to kill her. After that, it is just a bunch of information about what a piece of shit he is. Fingerprint evidence wouldn't help because he lived there, so it would be expected that his prints would be on everything. I wonder what was on the knife and pick. I know Yo said they tested for DNA and nothing usable came back. I get the feeling that this won't go anywhere unless the husband confesses and that ain't happening.  

ETA: I forgot the daughter also said the husband didn't actually leave in his car for at least six minutes after they left through the front door of the house. He had time to run back around through the back door and kill her.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 3

I've seen convictions on less evidence, but it is al old case. That may make a difference.  I ask myself how good is my memory about things that happened in the early 1980's.  Mine isn't that good, though you would be more likely to recall things that important about a murder.

My question is why they never seemed to address the report the neighbor lady made about a strange man coming to the door a few days prior to the murder.  Did they every figure out who that was?  Did I miss it?  It seemed like they just brushed right by that one. 

• Love 2