Type keyword(s) to search

The Galavant Wishlist: What's Your Happy Ending?

Trini

This thread is for sharing what you want to see in Season 2, or if we don't get one, how you wanted the series to end.

-----------------------------

I think we could have had satisfying ending with a few tweaks.

• With Galavant's help, Richard manages to kill Kingsley,
  • Madalena finally respects him (a little),
  • They go back to rule Kingsley's kingdom.
  • Isabella's parents' kingdom is restored,
  • Galavant and Isabella get engaged

Ideas for Season 2:

• Galavant has work out a deal with Isabella's cousin to actually marry her -- maybe another quest for a treasure
  • Sid tries to help Isabella's parents revitalize their economy
  • King Dick (and Isabella and Gareth) have to deal with the issues of taking over his brother's realm. His subjects don't like/respect him; Kingsley's enemies don't fear him.
  • Chef and Gwynne work on their relationship and try not to die from the plague.
  • Love 2

Bumping this up with all the wish list discussion about a 3rd season...

• Fabulous suggestion that the Dark Evil Lord be a shapeshifter and thus played by several guest actors.
  • I want to see Galavant & Isabella out adventuring again, uniting with Richard & Roberta to take down Madalena once and for all. 
  • Failing them adventuring again, then at least them struggling once the honeymoon is over - there are a couple of directions the show could go that wouldn't tear them apart necessarily but would be, at least, realistic. For instance, Isabella will eventually rule Valencia and Galavant will be her consort - I can see him struggling with playing second fiddle - there was a hint of that in the finale just before the proposal.
  • Gareth should get his happy ending - though I'm not sure how he saves Madalena from herself, all I know is I want to see that adventure with Gareth & Sid together.
  • Sid & Jester both need to find love.  There has to be some cousin of Sid's who shows up somewhere along the way of Gareth & Sid's quest.
  • More development of Roberta as a character in her own right rather than solely as Richard's love interest.
  • Others have suggested that the 7 realms be filled out - we've met the rulers/families in 5 of the 7 kingdoms - Richard, Valencia, Hortensia, Jubilee, & Madalena's Bitches (though that kingdom might have a new ruler since Gareth cut off their ears) - how about meeting some of the others? (I don't think the Pirate King or the Queen of the Enchanted Forest count).  Just how exactly has Richard united them all?
  • Galavant's mom - we haven't met her yet and I'm interested because he obviously had issues with both of his parents growing up.

Other thoughts & ideas for a 3rd season?

• Love 1

The third season should open with an in media res action scene that's a spoof of the bear attack scene in The Revenant (extra points for how obviously fake the bear animatronic/stuntman costume is)—then dissolve to Galavant telling the tale of his epic triumph over the Cancellation Bear to assorted listeners in a tavern. If the setting is the Enchanted Forest, this also opens the door for jokes concerning its in-house Bear.

I'll echo ParadoxLost's brilliant suggestion of making Madalena's new Dark Evil mentor Galvant's long-lost twin. I would pay folding money to see Joshua Sasse play an evil wizard/flamboyant fashion consultant. It would give him more to do and let Malory Jensen interact with a main cast member despite Madalena being off in her own subplot. Also, lots of opportunity for mistaken identities/twin switch hijinks ensuing later in the season.

Tad Cooper has to appear on camera. Disney has access to the creature shop at the Jim Henson Company, surely they can rig up an awesome dragon Muppet for this show!

• Love 2

Tad Cooper has to appear on camera. Disney has access to the creature shop at the Jim Henson Company, surely they can rig up an awesome dragon Muppet for this show!

They can borrow Once Upon a Time's dragon! They can recycle that footage, right?

• Love 1

Season 2 saw Richard becoming a little self aware of how terrible he had been as a king, and finding his courage/learning to be better. In season 3, I'd love a scene where he starts to revert. "I'm boooored! We haven't had a good baby-cobra cage fight in a while." And Queen Roberta says, "What does your inner child say?" And Lil Richard says, "I just want to be loved!" And Richard says, "Shut up, you!"

Or, if Alfie Simmons hits puberty between now and then, it could be him who says the I'm bored line, and Roberta says, "Stop listening to your inner teenager, Richard."

In any case, it needs to be clear that Richard's adventures with Galavant et al have led to him becoming a worthy One True King.

• Love 1

So, today's wishlist moment involves Roberta...

While having a conversation with my niece's friend, who is a HUGE Galavant fan, it occurred to me that I want Roberta to be a widow.  Yes, I know she was headed to the Island of Spinster, but that's because her aunt lived there.  There's nothing to preclude her from being a widow who decides to retire to Spinster, especially if she doesn't have any kids.  I would laugh and laugh if Roberta is some kindly black widow sort who has had several deceased husbands in her past.  Imagine Richard freaking out over that when he finds out. 

Anything to help develop her non-existent character.

• Love 2

So, today's wishlist moment involves Roberta...

While having a conversation with my niece's friend, who is a HUGE Galavant fan, it occurred to me that I want Roberta to be a widow.  Yes, I know she was headed to the Island of Spinster, but that's because her aunt lived there.  There's nothing to preclude her from being a widow who decides to retire to Spinster, especially if she doesn't have any kids.  I would laugh and laugh if Roberta is some kindly black widow sort who has had several deceased husbands in her past.  Imagine Richard freaking out over that when he finds out. 

Anything to help develop her non-existent character.

Except that in order to have her retire to Spinster as a widow, you'd have to kill off Richard -- and the fandom would riot in the streets if you did.

I would laugh and laugh if Roberta is some kindly black widow sort who has had several deceased husbands in her past.  Imagine Richard freaking out over that when he finds out.

Oh, that could be cool. You're thinking she's not actually bumping them off, just always having the poor fortune to pick someone who's not long for this world, yes? Just think of what they could do with her backstory, like maybe Roberta going to the aunt she mentioned living in the shadow of Mount Spinster for reassurance, and hearing her musical number about how many of her fiancés dropped dead before she could get to the altar with them. (Ideally they'd be able to get Angela Lansbury for this role!)

I can just see a worried Richard hitting the history books or consulting a guest star scholar and finding out that the average lifespan for a king is shorter than he's already lived. And that their leading causes of death are plague (cue freakout about someone coughing), assassination (cue freakout about disgruntled subjects), gout (cue freakout over meat-rich diet), and dragon-training accidents (Tad Cooper, NOOOOO!).

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1

For Season 3, I'd like them to make sure Galavant doesn't get sidelined by his supporting players again. Gal and Izzy need a real good storyline.

Maybe we could see how they relate to their in-laws; we haven't met Gal's mother yet, so there's some untapped potential there. And of course Izzy is the higher ranking one in the class/feudal system, so there could be tension from that.

Maybe a love interest for Sid?

Cameo by an actor/actress from Once Upon a Time.

• Love 3

Oh, that could be cool. You're thinking she's not actually bumping them off, just always having the poor fortune to pick someone who's not long for this world, yes? Just think of what they could do with her backstory, like maybe Roberta going to the aunt she mentioned living in the shadow of Mount Spinster for reassurance, and hearing her musical number about how many of her fiancés dropped dead before she could get to the altar with them. (Ideally they'd be able to get Angela Lansbury for this role!)

I can just see a worried Richard hitting the history books or consulting a guest star scholar and finding out that the average lifespan for a king is shorter than he's already lived. And that their leading causes of death are plague (cue freakout about someone coughing), assassination (cue freakout about disgruntled subjects), gout (cue freakout over meat-rich diet), and dragon-training accidents (Tad Cooper, NOOOOO!).

Yes, to all of this!  I definitely wasn't thinking that it was anything nefarious on Roberta's part - just that every single one of her previous husbands and fiances have died and that there's been several of them. 

I liked Richard's journey this season but I want to see a bit more of his shallow, self-centered, hysterically funny side.

Except that in order to have her retire to Spinster as a widow, you'd have to kill off Richard -- and the fandom would riot in the streets if you did.

Well, she was headed there after she dumped Richard, so she met the criteria at the time.  I'm not talking about killing her off now, just her back-history because right now, frankly, her back story is pretty thin and Mary Sue-ish.  I want to see some dramatic tension there between her and Richard and something like her being an unwitting black widow would be perfect for a show like Galavant.

For Season 3, I'd like them to make sure Galavant doesn't get sidelined by his supporting players again. Gal and Izzy need a real good storyline.

Maybe we could see how they relate to their in-laws; we haven't met Gal's mother yet, so there's some untapped potential there. And of course Izzy is the higher ranking one in the class/feudal system, so there could be tension from that.

Yes, to all of this.  I don't know if it was due to his budding romance with Kylie Minogue or disappointment in the lack of storyline and character development or something else entirely but I didn't sense much joy from Joshua Sasse in his portrayal of Galavant this season and his absence from any show promotion/publicity for the 2nd season as well as social media during last month's run was pretty obvious to a lot of fans.  I would like to see Galavant back as the real protagonist of the show, with Izzy at his side.  Sasse & David play off each other very well and their interaction brings an extra spark to Galavant & Isabella that was missing this season.

I was DMing a fellow fan on Twitter last night, one idea we had between the two of us was Gal being horrible at poetry and Izzy being terrible at gardening, so they wind up unable to support themselves in that seaside cottage and have to move back in with her parents who are anxious for grandkids but neither of them are happy with that arrangement and that gets them back to adventuring, especially with Dark Cray-Cray Madalena running around the seven realms.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 2

I hadn't considered that possibility, but in retrospect Kylie Minogue does not strike me as a low-maintenance girlfriend. There's probably a fair amount of jet setting and tagging along on tours involved when dating her. Hopefully Joshua's just been otherwise occupied rather than disgruntled about his role on the show—how involved in social media promotion was he last winter?

I do agree that making Galavant himself more the focus of the show (and not just his quest to reunite with Isabella as executed by other characters) should be a top priority if there is a next season.

I hadn't considered that possibility, but in retrospect Kylie Minogue does not strike me as a low-maintenance girlfriend. There's probably a fair amount of jet setting and tagging along on tours involved when dating her. Hopefully Joshua's just been otherwise occupied rather than disgruntled about his role on the show—how involved in social media promotion was he last winter?

I do agree that making Galavant himself more the focus of the show (and not just his quest to reunite with Isabella as executed by other characters) should be a top priority if there is a next season.

I don't care to speculate on the nature or tone of his personal life, that's not what we're here for. What is notable is that he did zero publicity for the show this winter whereas last year he was Stateside for the big publicity push. Now, neither did Vinnie Jones this winter, so it might mean nothing. Karen & Timothy handled the majority of the publicity appearances and interviews this year though Mallory & Luke did show up at a handful of events.

I wasn't on Twitter last winter so it is hard for me to make a comparison. I don't think social media is really a priority for him but just glancing through his timeline of tweets, it does seem he's pulled back. That's not really indicative of anything though since everyone goes through phases with their social media activity, I believe.

Cameo by an actor/actress from Once Upon a Time.

They could cast Robert Carlyle as the DEL! 

I want more of the Jester and the Chef. They're awesome. And I think it would be interesting to explore more of Sid's background. We know he was adopted, so maybe he could decide to seek out his birth family?

• Love 2

They could cast Robert Carlyle as the DEL! 

I want more of the Jester and the Chef. They're awesome. And I think it would be interesting to explore more of Sid's background. We know he was adopted, so maybe he could decide to seek out his birth family?

I suggested in the Media thread that maybe Sid and Barry could start a romantic relationship.  There was something about Barry that to me suggested that Sid wouldn't be the only one who knows what the Enchanted Forest is, if you know what I mean!  ;-)

• Love 2

I suggested in the Media thread that maybe Sid and Barry could start a romantic relationship. There was something about Barry that to me suggested that Sid wouldn't be the only one who knows what the Enchanted Forest is, if you know what I mean! ;-)

And my random Galavant brainstorm of the night is that Barry is one of Gary Galavant's half-brothers, which would make Sid family when he and Barry fall for each other.

I also kind of want a running gag where all of Galavant's siblings names rhyme with Gary... Barry, Larry, Terry, Perry, Mary, Carrie, Shari, and none of them look alike since Arnold was quite the philanderer, lol.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 2

. . .

I was DMing a fellow fan on Twitter last night, one idea we had between the two of us was Gal being horrible at poetry and Izzy being terrible at gardening, so they wind up unable to support themselves in that seaside cottage and have to move back in with her parents who are anxious for grandkids but neither of them are happy with that arrangement and that gets them back to adventuring, especially with Dark Cray-Cray Madalena running around the seven realms.

I had a similar idea.  After the honeymoon period is over, Gal and Izzy are bored stiff with life in the cottage by the sea, but afraid to tell one another.  Perhaps Gal wanders off in the afternoons, ostensibly to seek inspiration for his poems, but actually to joust with Jean Hamm. And at the same time, Izzy is off advising the local princess/duchess/ruler of By The Sea. Some kind of crisis occurs (Richard's kingdom is in trouble, Sid gets kidnapped, Madalena and the DEL make a move against one of the other kingdoms, take your pick), and Gal and Izzy have to persuade one another to go to the rescue (when each really wants to go).

• Love 1

Oh, a song request for the wish list: Richard and Roberta throwing (or Galavant and the others attending) a celebratory feast would be the perfect occasion to adapt "Puttin' on the Ritz." And you know what rhymes with super-duper...

• Love 2

ABC just announced a new President. This could be bad news for Galavant since new people like to clean house. Let's keep our fingers crossed we get to see Gareth and Sid on an adventure to save the evil queen.

Let's hope she's got kids or family who love our show!

• Love 3