Type keyword(s) to search

Brooklyn Nein-Nein: Unspoilered Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

I say that Season 2 could actually open right on the heels of what we saw in Season 1--or at the very least in the middle of the undercover operation.  I think there are signs of a clear intent for the show to have Jake in his own little box, interacting with the main cast only on the sly, and milking humor from a mountain of existing "undercover" and Serpico-like "corrupt police department" cliches.

This also sets up a natural barrier for a relationship with Amy (who I think if she hasn't already become single will be soon), but a pull as well as a push--the whole absence makes you grow fonder thing, along with the whole idea of stolen relationship moments (when he's undercover) being the most exciting.

I'm torn on the idea of them coming back in the middle of Jake's op. Because while it would be fun to see him living the Serpico dream, there would also be the issue of him not being able to interact with the rest of the cast. He might end up seeming really isolated, and the split narratives could cause some issues for the show.

If they could bring in a couple of fun guest stars to play Jake's new mafia buddies, and give him some likeable foils, then it could work well. But I think I'd only want to see it sustained for three or four episodes, before they got him back in the precinct.

And I would like to see Amy missing him, because it's always been clear that, for all Jake's minor irritations, there's no one she'd rather be partnered with. As to the romantic stylez of things, it'll be interesting to see what's going on in Amy's head. Because it did seem pretty evident that she liked Jake in those same stylez, once or twice during the season. Just subtle little moments that could be interpreted as her just appreciating his friendship, but I think were played a little bit stronger than that by Melissa.

The other thing is, how will Charles fare without Jake? Especially when dealing with whatever nonsense he has in store with Gina?

I was rewatching the finale, and there's a throwaway line that stood out to me this time around. Mr. FBI man said that the Ianucci family has moles within the NYPD, and we saw that they're operating within the jurisdiction of the Nine-Nine. What if there's a mole within the precinct? No way it'd be any of the starring cast (seriously, if they had Terry, Diaz, Amy, or Charles end up dirty, that'd be really showing Agents of SHIELD how to twist the knife with a traitor). But what about Hitchcock or Scully? What if being a useless was just a cover? That could be slightly epic.

Or maybe uselessness is less a cover and more a good trait to have in a mole. They might just be too dumb to realize that they shouldn't be sharing the information they are, and even if there's a lot of dross to sift through when you get info from those two there might be some gems getting passed along. And any indicator that they're accidental informants is likely to get written off as part of their general stupidity.

I believe promo blurbs don't count as spoilers, and after reading ahead, I'm dying to know what's going on with Rosa:

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5

**99th EPISODE**--"BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" - (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

THE SQUAD HITS THE OPEN ROAD ON THE ALL-NEW, MILESTONE 99th EPISODE OF "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5, ON FOX

While the entire precinct attends a funeral in LA, Holt learns that he is in the running to become Chief Commissioner of the NYPD - his dream job. But after missing their flight back to New York, Jake must devise a variety of ways to get Holt back in time for the interview. Forced to stay with some estranged members of the Boyle family, Amy tries to convince everyone that she can be laid back, Terry panics about losing his first-class flight and Charles uncovers some new information about Rosa's personal life in the all-new "99" milestone 99th episode of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE airing Tuesday, Dec. 5 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BRK-509) (TV-14 D, L, V)

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 12

**ONE-HOUR FALL FINALE**--"BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" - (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

JAKE HELPS ROSA REVEAL BIG NEWS & HOLT OWES A FAVOR ON AN ALL-NEW, SPECIAL ONE-HOUR EPISODE OF "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" TUESDAY, DECEMBER 12, ON FOX

Danny Trejo ("Heat"), Paul Adelstein ("Prison Break") and Mike Mitchell ("Comedy Bang! Bang!") Guest-Star

Rosa begs Jake to help her break some big news to her parents, but her plan is thrown off when they wrongly assume the two are dating. Then, when Seamus Murphy (guest star Paul Adelstein) returns to redeem the favor Holt owes him, the precinct searches for a loophole that will allow Holt to uphold his end of the bargain without breaking the law in the all-new "Game Night/The Favor" special one-hour fall finale episode of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE airing Tuesday, Dec. 12 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

They wouldn't go to the pregnancy well again so soon (I hope), so what could it be?

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 1

Many people have been speculating that the reveal will be that Rosa is bi. Along with there being a lot of fan support for bi-Rosa, Stephanie Beatriz has also been very vocal in her hopes that the writers will make Rosa canonically bi. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, in case it doesn't happen, but I will be really happy if it does.

• Love 1

In addition to Jake being her closest friend, I also think that if Rosa is coming out as bi they are doing the Rosa/Jake pairing vs. the Rosa/Holt pairing for the episode because they want the Rosa storyline to be the A-plot (and with the exception of Moo Moo the A-plot always involves Jake, though I wish we could get more non-Jake related A-plots in the future).

Oh, I hadn't really thought about what the cliffhanger could be. Whatever it is, I hope they don't treat it like the Gina got ran over by a bus cliffhanger. That turned out to be purely for shock-value and added nothing to the story.

Edited by betweenthebanter
  • Love 1
On 11/29/2017 at 0:56 PM, betweenthebanter said:

Many people have been speculating that the reveal will be that Rosa is bi. Along with there being a lot of fan support for bi-Rosa, Stephanie Beatriz has also been very vocal in her hopes that the writers will make Rosa canonically bi. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, in case it doesn't happen, but I will be really happy if it does.

Yes please!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Holt also never really "came out" at work, IIRC he was always openly gay and made no attempt to hide it.

I don't believe that's true. His whole fued with Kaya Sedgwick's character is he invites her over to come out and she thinks he wants to have sex. 

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don't believe that's true. His whole fued with Kaya Sedgwick's character is he invites her over to come out and she thinks he wants to have sex. 

I suppose it depends on what "coming out" means, I think Kyra's character (can't remember her name) just assumed he was straight, but Holt didn't make any attempts to convince anyone of that fact. It was more that it just hadn't really come up. But yeah, he did come out to her that night, I guess, LOL

So the bi guess was correct indeed. Congrats to all who called it (and wanted to see it).

I'm still curious to see why Jake is the one she asks to help her come out to her family. Even Boyle seems like he would be an obvious choice, since he already knows. But the guess above that it's because Jake has to be involved in the A story is probably the right one.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:12 AM, ClareWalks said:

Holt also never really "came out" at work, IIRC he was always openly gay and made no attempt to hide it.

But we're not talking about coming out at work. We're talking about coming out to her family, which is what the description mentions, and that's obviously something Holt must have experience with. It still makes more sense to me for her to ask the person with coming out experience rather than Jake, plus seeing someone as uncomfortable with emotion as Holt in that situation simply seems like it would be more interesting (and potentially funnier), but we'll see.