Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Going Home

• Start Topic

The final scene in this episode is one of my favorite scenes in the series. It's very unexpected and does a really good job of hyping up the next arc. How did Hook get there? How are the Charmings in danger? How will Hook get Emma and Henry's memories back? It presents many great questions and has that Lost feel, where a scene initially seems disjointed from everything else but is actually very relevant. It's also crazy to see the new mother/son dynamic between Emma and Henry in such a way we hadn't seen before. I think production really captured the idyllic nature of their new lives with the beautiful modern apartment and casual Sunday morning atmosphere. Jennifer Morrison particularly glows in this scene.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

There certainly is a lot to like in this episode, and I think it still holds up pretty well, as far as endings to arcs go. The cliffhanger is actually dramatic, and I really felt for everyone involved, even Regina! 

Of course Regina's punishment had to be everyone's punishment as well. I do appreciate that she was willing to give Henry up, but it sucks that everyone got dragged back to the EF, no matter what they wanted or not. They have no idea about any of this, presumably all of the normal people are just hiding out in a basement somewhere, hiding from whatever new mess is happening, and now they've been dumped into the old forest, with no context or idea on what to do next. But, of course, its all about Regina and her tears. 

I still stand by this being Rumples finest hour, and the true ending to his character arc. He selflessly gave his life to save everyone else, when he could have probably gotten away, overcoming his life of cowardice, and finally broke the cycle of choosing selfishness that had been passed down from father to son. And Bobby just nails every scene with Pan, you can really feel his anger, and also his sadness that this sack of crap is his father. I do always feel super bad when he dies, and Belle just falls to the ground sobbing, and everyone freaking ignores her. Even Neal! Like, yeah guys, a lot of shit went down, and will still go down, but the woman's boyfriend just died right in front of her. Maybe a hug, or a "I am so sorry Belle" is warranted?  

I also always laugh at at Pan patting himself on the back for playing Regina like a fiddle. Yeah, its not that hard, dude. Regina can probably be outsmarted by a Chinese Finger Trap. Manipulating her isnt that much of accomplishment. 

The end with Emma and Henry saying goodbye to everyone really is really well played and effective. This might be the Captain Swan shipper in me, but it really seems like Emma pretty much chose Hook at the town line. Her goodbye with Neal was mostly about Henry, while her goodbye to Hook was all about them. Just saying... 

• Love 7

I love the look in Emma's eyes as she and Henry drive away from the town line. It's like she's finally happy and at peace with life. While it would have been a bittersweet ending, I would have been completely happy if the show had ended this way. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

There certainly is a lot to like in this episode, and I think it still holds up pretty well, as far as endings to arcs go. The cliffhanger is actually dramatic, and I really felt for everyone involved, even Regina! 

Of course Regina's punishment had to be everyone's punishment as well. I do appreciate that she was willing to give Henry up, but it sucks that everyone got dragged back to the EF, no matter what they wanted or not. They have no idea about any of this, presumably all of the normal people are just hiding out in a basement somewhere, hiding from whatever new mess is happening, and now they've been dumped into the old forest, with no context or idea on what to do next. But, of course, its all about Regina and her tears. 

I still stand by this being Rumples finest hour, and the true ending to his character arc. He selflessly gave his life to save everyone else, when he could have probably gotten away, overcoming his life of cowardice, and finally broke the cycle of choosing selfishness that had been passed down from father to son. And Bobby just nails every scene with Pan, you can really feel his anger, and also his sadness that this sack of crap is his father. I do always feel super bad when he dies, and Belle just falls to the ground sobbing, and everyone freaking ignores her. Even Neal! Like, yeah guys, a lot of shit went down, and will still go down, but the woman's boyfriend just died right in front of her. Maybe a hug, or a "I am so sorry Belle" is warranted?  

I also always laugh at at Pan patting himself on the back for playing Regina like a fiddle. Yeah, its not that hard, dude. Regina can probably be outsmarted by a Chinese Finger Trap. Manipulating her isnt that much of accomplishment. 

The end with Emma and Henry saying goodbye to everyone really is really well played and effective. This might be the Captain Swan shipper in me, but it really seems like Emma pretty much chose Hook at the town line. Her goodbye with Neal was mostly about Henry, while her goodbye to Hook was all about them. Just saying... 

It really was the perfect ending for Rumple. They really should have stopped there. 

• Love 2
On 12/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, KingOfHearts said:

Would it be more difficult for Emma to trust Henry's deadbeat dad or a strange pirate with eyeliner?

I suspect memoryless Emma wouldn't actually think Hook was a real pirate. More likely, she'd have thought he was a hipster with strange affectations, a member of some music-related subculture she wasn't familiar with (pirate punk!), or possibly an actor involved in a publicity stunt who was way too committed to the role (or perhaps contractually obligated to remain in character for the duration of the stunt). What would have most likely counted against him would have been his associate with Neal, which would have made her suspect that Hook's persona was part of some kind of con, like the Jolly Roger/Captain Hook publicity stunt was actually some scheme Neal had cooked up, and she wouldn't have trusted Hook because he was part of anything Neal was involved with.