Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Turns Of Phrase

Hey guys! Welcome!  I know there were probably no other threads started on this forum when you posted this stuff, so that's OK.  But this thread is really only for off-topic discussion.  For discussion of the show proper, feel free to start new threads for each topic.  I've started one for the Pilot episode, and I'll make a General Discussion thread we can use to discuss the show in general until we know enough about it to actually create other threads, OK?  

Boilerplate explanation below:

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

• Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Fans of wartime spycraft might want to check out Bonham's upcoming auction on WW2 stuff. They have up both a German code book and an actual Enigma machine. The machine itself is in the window display at their 56th & Madison location. Information about how much you can expect to shell out for it is here.

I just started this series on Netflix.   I'm maybe 5 episodes into Season 1.  Can someone let me know whether it's worth continuing?  I love history and I know quite a bit about the Revolutionary War ... but this show is boring me to death so far.   I don't know if it's the insufferable vacuum of Setauket that's the problem, or the tepid and occasionally annoying performance of Jamie Bell (who did he know to get this gig?), or the over-the-top characterization of the British characters (Simcoe), but I'm just not feeling it.   Even the theme music blows.  

Angus McFaddyen is always fun, although the characterization of Rogers as a mustache-twirling villain seems to fly in the face of history.   And I'm pretty sure Major Andre was at least 10 years younger than the actor playing him.

I find myself hoping Ichabod Crane will show up.

(edited)

I just started this series on Netflix.   I'm maybe 5 episodes into Season 1.  Can someone let me know whether it's worth continuing?  I love history and I know quite a bit about the Revolutionary War ... but this show is boring me to death so far.   I don't know if it's the insufferable vacuum of Setauket that's the problem, or the tepid and occasionally annoying performance of Jamie Bell (who did he know to get this gig?), or the over-the-top characterization of the British characters (Simcoe), but I'm just not feeling it.   Even the theme music blows.  

Angus McFaddyen is always fun, although the characterization of Rogers as a mustache-twirling villain seems to fly in the face of history.   And I'm pretty sure Major Andre was at least 10 years younger than the actor playing him.

I find myself hoping Ichabod Crane will show up.

I'd say stick it out -- I mean, you're halfway through. Things begin to pick up with episode 6, and the last three episodes are really quite fine. Then again, this is coming from someone who really likes the music. (ETA: That is, the music within the show...I see upon reread that you meant the theme -- that seems to be a real issue for quite a few people;)

With the second season, currently airing on AMC, TPTB seem to have learned from the mistakes of the first season's less successful aspects. It's more of an ensemble show this year, and they've spent time developing characters beyond Bell's Abe, most specifically Washington, Tallmadge, Arnold, Hewlett, and Andre. In doing so, they've created a world of real people, with what I feel is a balanced portrayal of both sides. Sure Simcoe, is the chief baddy and he's a king's man, but every show has to have one, and the actor steals every scene he's in. MacFadyen is definitely doing his thing as Rogers, but it is true that the latter half of Rogers' career was a break from his earlier heroics. He pretty much lost everything due to debt, bad business, politics, and drink.

The second season is more quickly paced, tightly plotted, and suspenseful. There's more going on that actually relates to spy craft and the revolution, but this is definitely a character based show. If you're looking for big battle scenes, time travel or magic, you may be wasting your time.

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 2

I'd say stick it out -- I mean, you're halfway through. Things begin to pick up with episode 6, and the last three episodes are really quite fine. Then again, this is coming from someone who really likes the music.

Thanks.   As a matter of fact, I just started episode 6 half an hour ago.   I can already detect a change in the atmosphere with the appearance of Washington and his spymaster.  

The back and forth between Abraham and his father was growing extremely tiresome.   It was like a never-ending waltz. 

I was not expecting magic or time-travel, lol.   I only mentioned Ichabod as a symptom of my frustration.

The back and forth between Abraham and his father was growing extremely tiresome.   It was like a never-ending waltz. 

I was not expecting magic or time-travel, lol.   I only mentioned Ichabod as a symptom of my frustration.

Gotcha -- and there's quite a few of us who've felt your frustration! For what it's worth, the relationship between Abe and his father is supposed to somewhat metaphor that of the colonies and the king. Hope the rest of the season picks up for you!

i think this thread is the place for thIs so here goes. A company called GhostHunts USA has just started offering an evening of ghost hunting in what is presently called " The 1776 House". This is the tavern where Andre was held following his arrest. For a hundred and something dollars, you get. a 3 course meal, psychic readings and maybe, if you are lucky, a chance to sit and chat with our handsome Major himself if he decides to appear for you!