Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Gilmore Girls, Jane the Virgin, Castle, New Girl, Blindspot, Grimm and more at TVline

http://tvline.com/2016/02/18/gilmore-girls-season-8-spoilers-revival-logan-jess-ask-ausiello/

A magic lamp huh.....I know what I'd be wishing for if I was in his shoes, that they hit the rewind button and Locksat/mythology mess never happened, have Alexis get a proper job and give me a decent wardrobe.

Je Souhaite take off anyone? XF did it. Wonder how it'll go on Castle.

Word. All of the above.

Where does this Castle PI spin-off idea even come from? Wasn’t the latest buzz about continuing the show even without its both leads? Although I don’t know how that should work, as it would actually be a spin-off.

I’m sure Nathan brought in viewers who have seen him before in various projects he has been part of over the years (from soap to sitcom to drama to maybe even the non-blockbuster movies he’s been in). I would agree with pepper though, that the original male Firefly audience may be the minority. Even eight years older and with a partner who may or may not be into Castle;-)

I think Paul Lee may have examined different possibilities for the future of Castle: with both leads returning, with one lead returning, with neither lead returning.  Whatever was possible and made sense financially.  But it's out with the old boss and in with the new who may have her own ideas about how feasible any and all of those possibilities are.  Right now, I still don't think we have enough data either way to presume who might go and who might stay.

JMO - I think Fillion  brings in a  lot viewers.  But it comes down to the writing.

Doesn't it always.  Then again, if Marlowe hadn't cast Nathan and Stana, I might not have stuck around until now.

A possibly magic lamp plays a key role in Castle Episode 17. Rick apparently thinks he can wrangle three wishes out of it. Try to guess at least two of them in the comments. Go.

A magic lamp huh.....I know what I'd be wishing for if I was in his shoes, that they hit the rewind button and Locksat/mythology mess never happened, have Alexis get a proper job and give me a decent wardrobe

Funnily enough I recently read a fic where Castle comes across a magic lamp at a crime scene and gets his 3 wishes from the lamp genie.  Can't recall the name of it though.  He ends up wishing for Beckett having to tell him the truth in response to him heh (but he's good and doesn't push it too far), and wishing back Johanna Beckett for a night.  They're probably going to go for a mix of comedy and sentiment with three wishes on the show, but if I were Castle, wishing for my marriage back, all in, full time, no pretense has got to be top of my list. 

As for the decent wardrobe, that might even be beyond the powers of a magic lamp as long as Luke is in charge.  

Especially when I see choices like these: http://purplewaters.tumblr.com/tagged/8.13

This is Luke's idea of an undercover student?!   Unless the student is a senior citizen rather than a man in his 40s, no offence to any seniors here, and I've seen plenty who are more smartly dressed than the terrible garb he has Castle wearing!  That scarf with that shirt with that jacket is an eyesore to me.  All wrong.  Drab, dull, aged.  The opposite of any youthful vibe if that's what he's going for.  And what happened to colour?  For a minute, I thought we were back in a 70s episode. ;)  I despair when Luke can't even get a simple scarf right when Sal so effortlessly did during his tenure.  I will wait to see in the episode when it airs but this outfit may rank amongst Luke's worst wardrobe hits for me. ;)  Just terrible.  He may accomplished the impossible... making me wish Castle just wore his usual button downs rather than anything different. ;)

Especially when I see choices like these: http://purplewaters.tumblr.com/tagged/8.13

Holy crap! You're right madmaverick, it's a case of "be careful what you wish for" dear God let him go back to wearing boring button downs.  I just can't fathom what is going on in Luke's brain when he gets told "undercover student" and that's the result. First the Locksat abomination and now this horror, will the pain never end? Luke I curse thee for all eternity. They need to put a warning up during the opening credits of that episode for those fans of a sensitive disposition so they can duly prepare themselves. 

At this rate Beckett would have firm grounds to instigate divorce proceedings on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour due to his clothing choices making it impossible for the poor woman to share the same house with him.  

Stana had better be on her guard the way things are going I fear Luke will turn on her next and Beckett will never get a sniff of a Burberry garment ever again. 

ABC Cancellation Watch: 5 Series in Danger of Cancellation this Spring at Yahoo

Edited by verdana

This is Luke's idea of an undercover student?!   Unless the student is a senior citizen rather than a man in his 40s, no offence to any seniors here, and I've seen plenty who are more smartly dressed than the terrible garb he has Castle wearing!  That scarf with that shirt with that jacket is an eyesore to me.  All wrong.  Drab, dull, aged.  The opposite of any youthful vibe if that's what he's going for.

Senior citizen?  It looked like bad Justin Beiber to me, frankly ;-). I don't know any seniors who dress like that ;-).

I see. I only read the TV Guide article.  It reports “even if Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic don’t renew”, whereas TVLine writes about “either Nathan Fillion or Stana Katic”.

I gave up on Castle’s wardrobe a long time ago. Dull and ill-fitting, especially the jackets. And always the same jeans, or so it seems. If his character was supposed to be boring and a bit clumsy, I would understand. Oh wait ;-) But he’s not boring/ he should not be boring, so yes to a colour intervention.

But Luke comes across as so upbeat about his job, I’m having a hard time placing blame. So 50 percent goes to Luke and the other 50 to Nathan ;-)

Sorry Wendy. I've continued that conversation where it belongs. 

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Murder, Elementary, SVU and more at EW

Are we finally going to learn more about Castle’s missing time? — Tiana
Yes! “We are going to conclude that missing time,” EP Terrence Paul Winter promises. “We’re going to find out exactly what happened. We know what happened those first two weeks, the other six weeks are still a mystery. We’re going to find out what happens in episode 14.” That’s the episode in which Castle heads to LA. “Castle gets involved with this legendary greatest detective society, which Gerald McRaney character runs,” EP Alexi Hawley adds. “Ultimately, he gets pitted against Summer Glau’s character to compete to solve a case.”

I dread to think what further crap they're going to come up with to tie this all up to everyone's satisfaction, Sleeper was bad enough. I wonder if Hawley can beat this for a God awful line “Babe, it’s not like you were partying in Thailand. You have the best excuse ever. You were saving the world.” -Beckett

Argh! 

Edited by verdana

Sorry Wendy. I've continued that conversation where it belongs.

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Murder, Elementary, SVU and more at EW

I dread to think what further crap they're going to come up with to tie this all up to everyone's satisfaction, Sleeper was bad enough. I wonder if Hawley can beat this for a God awful line “Babe, it’s not like you were partying in Thailand. You have the best excuse ever. You were saving the world.” -Beckett

Argh!

These are the same people who are coming up with a magic lamp storyline, so Im not holding my breath

I think Paul Lee may have examined different possibilities for the future of Castle: with both leads returning, with one lead returning, with neither lead returning.  Whatever was possible and made sense financially.  But it's out with the old boss and in with the new who may have her own ideas about how feasible any and all of those possibilities are.  Right now, I still don't think we have enough data either way to presume who might go and who might.

We definitely don't have enough data to know anything for sure no. But that was just my impression based on the they've been pushing the P.I. thing this year.

But in my experience when a new person comes in to run a company, they very rarely just decide to keep doing what their predecessor does. So, who knows what the new person will do.

Funnily enough I recently read a fic where Castle comes across a magic lamp at a crime scene and gets his 3 wishes from the lamp genie.  Can't recall the name of it though.  He ends up wishing for Beckett having to tell him the truth in response to him heh (but he's good and doesn't push it too far), and wishing back Johanna Beckett for a night.  They're probably going to go for a mix of comedy and sentiment with three wishes on the show, but if I were Castle, wishing for my marriage back, all in, full time, no pretense has got to be top of my list.

Awe, wishing Johanna back for a night for Beckett is so sweet.  I wonder what Beckett would wish for, if Castle could get her to pretend you could really get wishes from magic lamps.

It sounds like this episode is after Beckett moves back in the loft (although it seems like she's there every night already), so I don't think they'll go in the direction of wishing for his marriage to be fixed. Although it would have been a cool way to make Beckett realize that Castle wasn't happy with the sneaking around and decide that was more important than stupid LockSat. But that would be too serious for the show this season.

• Love 1

Episode titles

8x15      "Fidelis ad Mortem" (Fathful unto Death), the motto of the NYPD, and fitting I guess as this is the one when Beckett returns to the Academy.

8x18      "Backstabber" This is the Hayley centric episode, could she turn out to be a Loksat plant so we can get rid of her for good.

8x18      "Backstabber" This is the Hayley centric episode, could she turn out to be a Loksat plant so we can get rid of her for good.

She can't be, remember Hayley's meant to be a "mentor" to Alexis according to Hawley. 

However if Hayley turns out bad can she take Vikram with her too, I don't care the reason I just want him off my screen. 

We definitely don't have enough data to know anything for sure no. But that was just my impression based on the they've been pushing the P.I. thing this year.

But in my experience when a new person comes in to run a company, they very rarely just decide to keep doing what their predecessor does. So, who knows what the new person will do.

I like the Castle PI concept but that was not how I would have imagined it being integrated in the show. Kind of ill-fated, with Locksat and the Caskett separation looming over it, and kind of random in its use IMO.

So my view is, they’re not pushing it, they are more relying on it for some parts. My unsubstantiated theory behind it is a simple logistical/ optimization problem (based on what I’ve seen on screen so far): In total, leads work less. There might be many ways to solve the problem storywise, but I guess there are a few constraints. The procedural nature, murder cases (except the odd one out), having preferable both Beckett and Castle on screen together, but at the same time have at least one of them in most of the remaining scenes.

Of course having established Castle as a PI is also one way to cover all their bases. Stana leaves, they can work with it. If Nathan leaves, he leaves an already established world behind, so that shouldn’t be a problem either. The only problem would be the audience :-)

• Love 1

I saw "The Blame Game" and thought it was a new forum for us to play in.

I think we need a new non-episode thread by this name. I'm sure it would fill up quickly!

I think Lee was just talk. I see why he was fired, with his silly ideas. As I said before, he thought Nashville was getting a season 5, too. He needs to step away from hallucinogenics, or something.

Edited by TWP

I saw "The Blame Game" and thought it was a new forum for us to play in.

I think we need a new non-episode thread by this name. I'm sure it would fill up quickly!

Haven't people been playing that game all season already? ;)  People may say everything's fair game, but I'm not sure the game is always played fairly.  But, anyway...

I wonder what Beckett would wish for, if Castle could get her to pretend you could really get wishes from magic lamps.

Heh, Castle would have his work cut out for him with Skepticus Maximus.  But if there's anyone Beckett would (pretend to) believe in magic for, it's Castle. 

It sounds like this episode is after Beckett moves back in the loft (although it seems like she's there every night already), so I don't think they'll go in the direction of wishing for his marriage to be fixed. Although it would have been a cool way to make Beckett realize that Castle wasn't happy with the sneaking around and decide that was more important than stupid LockSat. But that would be too serious for the show this season.

I wouldn't be unhappy if they touched on this again and struck the right emotional note with it.  I kind of need more than a simple "I'm sorry" again.  I want to hear and believe a genuine recognition and contrition that it really was the wrong choice.  But I don't think they are going there with Beckett.

I tend to agree with Sonik Tooth re his/her take on the P.I. arc.  I've liked the introduction of that new element since last season so it hasn't bothered me like it has others.  I actually haven't found it overwhelming or a material change to the show this season or last because to my eyes, the P.I. stuff just ends up folded into the COTW investigation and Caskett joining forces at some point.

Senior citizen?  It looked like bad Justin Beiber to me, frankly ;-).

Will keep the fashion talk to the fashion thread in future, but this comment made me laugh and shudder.  I try to avoid the Bieber in media so have no idea of his wardrobe, or lack thereof!

Edited by madmaverick
I wouldn't be unhappy if they touched on this again and struck the right emotional note with it.  I kind of need more than a simple "I'm sorry" again.  I want to hear and believe a genuine recognition and contrition that it really was the wrong choice.  But I don't think they are going there with Beckett.

I am torn on where they are going with this. Part of me thinks they are setting them up to have another confrontation about this and the other part of me thinks that I'm reading too much into things.  We've had Castle express a desire to know more about LokSat in every episode since we returned. In a show with really good writers, that would be foreshadowing.

I tend to agree with Sonik Tooth re his/her take on the P.I. arc.  I've liked the introduction of that new element since last season so it hasn't bothered me like it has others.  I actually haven't found it overwhelming or a material change to the show this season or last because to my eyes, the P.I. stuff just ends up folded into the COTW investigation and Caskett joining forces at some point.

It hasn't really bothered me on the show. I agree it isn't that it allows for a fresher approach in some scenes, but isn't really that different from past seasons. (I hate Alexis suddenly being a super-PI/hacker, but that's another matter).  But my only observation is that despite it not really being so different, we've gotten a handful of ads that seem to really being harping on the PI thing like it is a a big change. It comes off like they are preparing to rebrand the show, which has me nervous about the future.  I'm okay with them keeping that angle on the show itself (although I'd still like more Caskett time).

Ive mentioned before, but i think they are keeping the whole anger thing going as an out for a S9 split. I think it wont be addressed anytime soon as these writers tend to sweep things under the rug, but its there if needed if SK doesnt come back and its renewed. JMO

I'm sorry but I think everybody is giving them too much credit. I don't think they ever had a plan for the future in past seasons nor do they have one now. Their motto has always been "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it." That's why all their story lines stop & start randomly & then end abruptly with some over the top deus ex machina solution. I see them as people who lucked into two good leading actors with great chemistry and not as devious plotting evil geniuses with some brilliant master plan.

Edited by oberon55
  • Love 5

I'm sorry but I think everybody is giving them too much credit. I don't think they ever had a plan for the future in past seasons nor do they have one now. Their motto has always been "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it." That's why all their story lines stop & start randomly & then end abruptly with some over the top deus ex machina solution. I see them as people who lucked into two good leading actors with great chemistry and not as some devious plotting evil geniuses with some brilliant master plan.

+10...That explains why the producers have such a difficult time since the forced wedding with the married couple part of the storytelling and how to integrate that relationship with Beckett's career as a cop. IMO.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

I guess i was just thinking that if they go on with just NF and it fails, there will be a lot of people out there screaming that he couldnt carry the show without her. Not saying thats right or wrong....

I'm confused by the idea that SF fen, and NF fans, skew male.

I attend a few science fiction cons, comic cons, and anime cons, and there are at least as many women as men there. Actually the anime cons are heavily female and very young. Very very young.

I happily describe myself as a Browncoat and I would say that women make up over 60 % of that fandom. Perhaps because Whedon writes women so well. Not just the obvious (Buffy, Kaylee) but also the minor characters (Patience, YoSaffBridge). We can see ourselves in that world.

I went to see Deadpool last night, and one trailer was for the new Batman movie (anyway it has The Joker). There was no Batman in it, but Harley Quinn got a lot of prominence in the trailer.

When I was first going to cons, we were 'femmefans" and marginalized, but to my eye, we are now pushing well into majority territory.

In addition to Whedon (Dr. Horrible, Captain America), NF is close to James Gunn (Slither, Guardians of the Galaxy) and of course he has shown he can pull in a lot of money for a production all by himself (ConMan).

Edited by femmefan1946

A Rose for Ever After is on ABC right now. The stark contrast in quality compared to this season is unbelievable. And it was written by AH, TPW and Terri. Maybe if NF signs for S9 and Stana doesn't they can kill her off, make Keira a widow/divorcee too and bring Alyssa Milano on board. She isn't doing Mistresses anymore.

• Love 1

Castle 8x12 Sneak Peek #2 - Castle Season 8 Episode 12 Sneak Peek “The Blame Game”

A Rose for Ever After is on ABC right now. The stark contrast in quality compared to this season is unbelievable.

Which is why I stopped watching old episodes and got rid of my old Castle DVD collection because I realised I couldn't watch them any more. May be over time I'll be able to get amnesia about the later seasons and go back to enjoying watching them but if something like Rose For Ever After comes on TV I switch over when I used to sit down and stay glued to the screen didn't matter what I was doing.  

I'm frankly stunned when I hear fans say they don't see any difference in the quality of the writing and characterisation and even think it's improved. Yeah I know I should respect other people's opinions and all...but seriously. I just can't get over the fact they can't see what to me seems painfully obvious. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Castle 8x12 Sneak Peek #2 - Castle Season 8 Episode 12 Sneak Peek “The Blame Game”

Which is why I stopped watching old episodes and got rid of my old Castle DVD collection because I realised I couldn't watch them any more. May be over time I'll be able to get amnesia about the later seasons and go back to enjoying watching them but if something like Rose For Ever After comes on TV I switch over when I used to sit down and stay glued to the screen didn't matter what I was doing.  

I'm frankly stunned when I hear fans say they don't see any difference in the quality of the writing and characterisation and even think it's improved. Yeah I know I should respect other people's opinions and all...but seriously. I just can't get over the fact they can't see what to me seems painfully obvious. 

I think what has put some people off from watching old episodes is the fact that the current season, far from being very original creatively has drawn on so many ideas and themes from the earlier seasons. The SP for the upcoming episode seems to show parallels with Still as Beckett refuses to leave Castle when he is in mortal danger, although as long as that recent official post from ABC doesn't mean that Alexis will be leading the cavalry to their rescue, The Blame Game might be OK. However Castle's trip to LA only accompanied by Alexis and Hayley in 8x14 cannot help but draw comparisons with the excellent TLADILA, and without Beckett tagging along it's hard to imagine those comparisons not being negative by some people.

I'm the same -- I have zero faith we are gonna get a happy ending and even if we do its gonna be a watered down version and for now it just taints most of which has come before....a real bummer....and just for the record my happy ending is definitely not Baby Castle reliant but it does involve Castle and Beckett sharing scenes.....

• Love 2

I'm the same -- I have zero faith we are gonna get a happy ending and even if we do its gonna be a watered down version and for now it just taints most of which has come before....a real bummer....and just for the record my happy ending is definitely not Baby Castle reliant but it does involve Castle and Beckett sharing scenes.....

I can't recall another show that has basically sabotaged all it's major milestones for what should have been ratings winners. Apart from the initial coming together in Always, the proposal, engagement period, the wedding that wasn't, the wedding that was, honeymoon period, and first anniversary were all messed up.

• Love 1

This is a fun BTS from a GMA person who will be on Castle tonight. Found via Castle Vital Scenes.

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/1426821/618808

So the victim is Emma Matthews, and Lila Campo (Amy Rombach) suggests that Nick Buckley has a strong motive as he was overlooked for a promotion that Emma got. Not sure what this has got to do with Castle and Beckett finding themselves incarcerated with other couples and having to play bizarre games to survive. I'm wondering if it turns out to be a variation on Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" where the culprit fakes his own death in one of the games to deceive the others. There were three other men with Castle in the promo, but only two women were seen with Beckett, and by the time SP2 occurs one of the men appears to have been eliminated. I really hope that Alexis isn't involved with their rescue and spoils what is looking like another watchable episode.

• Love 1

I do think the COTW are better this season than they have been in awhile, so if those are the main reason for someone tuning in, that person might think the show has improved.  I've been saying since Season 5 that the writing in general isn't what it used to be.  Seasons 1 and 2 were the glory days, and to a lesser extent, 3 and 4.  They had a working formula then.  Something happened to change that.  I have no idea what, but I think whatever bad thing occurred, it's here to stay.. 

Edited by TWP

Hayley and Alexis on the case, that'll go down well. I hope Alexis isn't going to save the day and figure things out long before the actual cops. Sigh

But...isn't that essentially what her father does? He isn't a cop, either.

• Love 1

But...isn't that essentially what her father does? He isn't a cop, either.

I have a problem with that too. I don't mind Castle providing unique insights that will be helpful for Beckett and the boys but sometimes they go over the line and he's solving the cases for them.

I've forgotten the episode but I also hated it when they let Castle give a briefing to a room full of cops like he was one of them.  They need to remember he's a writer he doesn't have the right attributes in my opinion to be a police officer, he approaches things differently to them. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

I have a problem with that too. I don't mind Castle providing unique insights that will be helpful for Beckett and the boys but sometimes they go over the line and he's solving the cases for them.

I've forgotten the episode but I also hated it when they let Castle give a briefing to a room full of cops like he was one of them.  They need to remember he's a writer he doesn't have the right attributes in my opinion to be a police officer, he approaches things differently to them. 

I think that was Resurrection

Yeah, I don't like when they have Castle solve everything while the actual cops stand by looking dumb. I like when Castle contributes to the case, but Beckett does as well, and it is working together that actually solves things.  But at least with Castle they originally tried to explain his knowledge with things like book research or how he's good at reading people. With Alexis, I feel like they suddenly gave her a set of skills that she showed no sign of having before, and with no explanation of how she got them. Hacking isn't exactly a skill you can pick up one afternoon when you're bored. And most people don't go from being a by the book rule follower to happily breaking into places with no hesitation.

What makes it worse for me is that Molly Quinn (who I always thought was a decent actress) is playing Alexis like a completely different person. I know she is bound by the writing, but I feel like she's just excited about having more to do that she's not trying to retain any of her previous characterization.

• Love 2

Castle being smarter than the cops all the time is just fuel for my belief that if they do reboot the show as a spinoff, these past 8 years will all just be a dream.

But yeah, I'm with Wendy. Like father, like daughter, shrug.

Rob kyker (@RobKyker) tweeted at 7:55pm - 22 Feb 16:

Good answer Elliot. Know this, she cares about BECKETT Way more than most of the people who watch the show. #truth

Interesting....

Interesting....

The full exchange is even more interesting, a very public display of support.

Elliot C Warren @ElliotCWarren

@CastleLounge @RobKyker Someone should tell Stana that $$ isn't everything. Fans and people are. Please sign up for another year.

Rob kyker ‏@RobKyker 1h1 hour ago

If you knew her, you would feel bad about this misguided tweet.

Elliot C Warren @ElliotCWarren

@RobKyker @CastleLounge I take that back. You are right. Sorry. I do not know her. Wish I did.

Rob kyker ‏@RobKyker 1h1 hour ago

Good answer Elliot. Know this, she cares about BECKETT Way more than most of the people who watch the show. #truth

That makes me cringe.  It's one thing to partake in discussions with other fans about the show and it's cast and crew but to directly tweet them like that is so weird and out of line.  I am surprised he bothered replying but obviously he feels strongly enough about it to do so - good for him!

• Love 1

That makes me cringe.  It's one thing to partake in discussions with other fans about the show and it's cast and crew but to directly tweet them like that is so weird and out of line.  I am surprised he bothered replying but obviously he feels strongly enough about it to do so - good for him!

The sound boom guy, Eric, got a bit upset a few months ago when his teasing tweets attracted some criticism and hurt his feelings, but he's back on twitter now. Rob Kyker always seems to strike the right note and is humerous and doesn't get controversial. He does seem to be a fan of Stana having posted numerous BTS pics of the pair of them on set.

The sound boom guy, Eric, got a bit upset a few months ago when his teasing tweets attracted some criticism and hurt his feelings, but he's back on twitter now. Rob Kyker always seems to strike the right note and is humerous and doesn't get controversial. He does seem to be a fan of Stana having posted numerous BTS pics of the pair of them on set.

Tweeting them directly seems rude, but at least comments about the show are more appropriate than insulting real actors/crew members.

And the tweet didn't even make sense. If she was only about money, wouldn't that mean she's more likely to sign?

I think the guys on crew on twitter like the fan attention, but I'll bet they sure are tired of all the inappropriate questions and comments about the show and the actors that constantly flow their way.  I doubt there's one person involved with Castle on twitter who hasn't been exposed to inappropriate crap at this point unfortunately.  Some people never learn.  

From what I see, the crew and cast get on well with both leads.  Isn't that enough for people to think they are both decent human beings and decent professionals?

Castle has had a wardrobe malfunction in this one, just a word of warning for those of us who care about these sort of things heh.

Damn, for a second you got my hopes up that it was a malfunction Janet Jackson style heh.  But yeah, I'll still call this a wardrobe malfunction alright. ;) 

Props to them for an interesting crime scene.  I much prefer these quirky ones to the really graphic ones we've been getting more and more.

Edited by madmaverick