Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I get the vibe they're trying to move towards an ensemble situation, I'm not convinced at this stage it will work out for them, I like ensemble shows but you need to do it from the start not 7 years in but may be I'm wrong and they'll gradually manage to wean many fans off focusing on Castle and Beckett so they hardly notice it's happening.

If they can create believable stories for the ensemble, I'd say more power to them, because develping the subsidiary characters has been one of the weaker aspects of seasons 1-7, and had they been careful to do it all along, I suspect the show could more easily support whatever (separate) hoops they want to make Castle and Beckett jump through. That's what's organic, not Marlowe;s bizarre definition (did anyone ever actually figure out what his definition of organic was?)

The problem with Alexis is that she has never been "developed", just origami'd into whatever the plot required, and this business of partnering Castle in the P.I. investigation is that it is just not believable that this young woman with relatively little education and relatively little intern experience can now outguess her father, with not just his years of working with the 12th, but all the previous years of research and "knowing a guy", Even if her attitude improves, this superiority over her father in what he could call his line of work is just ridiculous.

• Love 1

IMHO their end game isn't an ensemble show, but the show called Castle. Where focus is on the Castle's, and not Caskett or Beckett. So they're forcing Alexis down our thoughts and trying to get fans to hate Beckett enough that Hayley can fit right in.  But hey that's just me. lol

• Love 2

It's amazing/ironic/depressing how they now want to focus on the characters and make the COTWs more simple AFTER they decide to break up Castle and Beckett. After they decide to make Castle two shows in one.

Ahhhhh...it's hard not to be cynical.

But if this isn't really a "break up" as much as Caskett being forced apart due to some danger, focusing on characters and simplifying COTWs actually makes sense, and allows them to really focus on that story.  I get that it's easy to be cynical, but all the talk from TPTB (and Susan Sullivan) about deepening the love story and being romantic fit better if the story is about overcoming an obstacle to be together.  I can't see anyone saying all that if it's just going to be a straight break up where they don't want to be together and aren't communicating.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that it really is going to be two shows in one this season, unless we are talking about COTW and this ongoing danger.  It looks like Castle PI is going to be working on the same cases Captain Beckett is (as unrealistic as that may be).  I'm sure the leads will have less screen time, but that doesn't mean they won't have any interaction.  Having subplots isn't the same as being two shows in one.

Now TPTB have been saying they want it to be more of an ensemble show for several seasons now, we will see if it actually happens this year.

@NathanFillion: My new book drops tomorrow- "Driving Heat" #7 in my Nikki Heat series...and my best yet. (Available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.)

Does this mean Nathan runs the Richard Castle Twitter and forgot to change accounts? Or some intern has access to both and messed up?

Or Nathan is just being tongue in cheek since he plays the character...

• Love 2

So I finally got around to watching Definition of Love vid on tumblr and it reminded me of parts of various vids from the late 90s to 00s. It's like if you put parts of Usher, K-Ci & Jojo and Dru Hill in a very low budget wannabe Hype Williams vid without the fish eye lens. The chorus is catchy but the bridge was too long.

So AH and TPW have chosen to describe the season opening 2 parter as "delightful"

Not a word I would chose to use to describe an episode where you are breaking up your much loved main duo....

It's a change from saying "fun" although I see they also mentioned that word numerous times.

The show lives and dies on the Castle and Beckett relationship for many fans and messing around with this couple in any big way is like playing with fire. May be general viewers will be more understanding of these developments but that's something as a showrunner I wouldn't want to test out.

Marlowe and co made the mistake once they realised how popular the central pairing was of quickly abandoning decent storytelling development on the rest of the cast which has caused the new showrunners a problem which they appear to want to rectify. If they can manage to pull it off that will be some achievement because Castle doesn't have the the cushion of great ratings to fall back on if viewers don't take to the new characters or the increased focus on such topics as Alexis and her new crime solving career and growing up. The bleed of viewers will continue no matter what happens storywise but it could be accelerated if they get it wrong to the point it will become obvious to even a blind man that S8 will be the last. 

But if this isn't really a "break up" as much as Caskett being forced apart due to some danger, focusing on characters and simplifying COTWs actually makes sense, and allows them to really focus on that story.  I get that it's easy to be cynical, but all the talk from TPTB (and Susan Sullivan) about deepening the love story and being romantic fit better if the story is about overcoming an obstacle to be together.  I can't see anyone saying all that if it's just going to be a straight break up where they don't want to be together and aren't communicating.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that it really is going to be two shows in one this season, unless we are talking about COTW and this ongoing danger.  It looks like Castle PI is going to be working on the same cases Captain Beckett is (as unrealistic as that may be).  I'm sure the leads will have less screen time, but that doesn't mean they won't have any interaction.  Having subplots isn't the same as being two shows in one.

Now TPTB have been saying they want it to be more of an ensemble show for several seasons now, we will see if it actually happens this year.

I'm sorry but we've heard the PR spin ("deepening the love story") a thousand times before. I don't believe breaking them up is required for anything other than having a proper excuse to split up the two leads more often than not. In my eyes, they've been trying to find a believable way to do it for years now. There is no "overcoming an obstacle to be together" element to it. Beckett has decided to do it without Castle.

The debate isn't whether they have broken up, it's whether the viewer buys the reason for Beckett breaking up with him. There's no plot device that I'll personally accept where they couldn't work it out together. I just don't accept whatever reason they end up giving us.

As for my "two shows in one" comment. I refer to Castle PI and Captain Beckett. There's no question that both will interact with each other, but I'm certain we will see both work independently of each other more often than not. I don't believe you can realistically have Castle and Beckett working on the same cases every episode, so I very much doubt we'll experience the type of interactions we have had in the past. That's without even going into the complications of them being no longer involved.

Season 7 was consistently having Castle and Beckett on screen together less than 10 minutes of a 42 minute episode (this is way down from season 6). Trust me...I know this..I had this debate with someone on a different forum. Now keep in mind season 7 was them married and investigating cases together.

Season 8, they are broken up. We've seen countless indications how they are looking to focus on different relationships (Beckett as captain and her new tech bff), Castle PI (Alexis and Hayley).

I think people need to prepare themselves for a completely different show with a completely different focus. It is clear that Castle and Beckett will interact with each other (that's obvious), but I would expect many episodes with extremely limited Caskett interactions entirely.

Edited by Chado
  • Love 1

Ok,catch me up! Who is halwideman and what is his/her connection to "Castle"? Insider? As in?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Halwideman has information (so far) on the first four episodes of the season and confirmed that the Ausiello blind article that came out a while ago related to Castle. They work in the business not on the show that's my understanding, they've provided hints about certain developments when they can, posters can make of that what they will and choose to believe Hal or not that's up to them obviously. Edited by verdana
I think people need to prepare themselves for a completely different show with a completely different focus. It is clear that Castle and Beckett will interact with each other (that's obvious), but I would expect many episodes with extremely limited Caskett interactions entirely.

What I can see happening is there will be a set number of episodes where you will hardly see Beckett and others where she'll have a much more prominent storyline and the same will go for Castle. The rest of the time they'll have three or four Caskett scenes interspersed through an episode. There were some moments last season where Castle and Beckett screen time barely reached 20 minutes, I certainly noticed and I expect that trend to be maintained in S8.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I wonder how many downloads they'll be getting, outside of Castle fans.  Looks like sunglasses on stage is part of their new look when they're out promoting their music on actual shows.

I read that at first as Nathan in bed with Donald Trump and thought wow how did I not know about this? lol Thanks for the link madmaverick, I'm with Gina his voice at the start does sounds so low and sexy!

I think Donald Trump is ever only in bed with himself and his hairpiece! ;)  

If only we got more pillow talk on Castle...

We wanted to do a lot of things to lean more into [the] characters of the show than it has been the past couple of years. Come up with clever cases that are perhaps simpler so we have room to tell more character stories.

The new showrunners are saying the right things to my mind about the show becoming more character driven and less dominated by the procedural aspect.  We'll see if they can pull it off.  It's not wise to speak out against your former boss, but some of the stuff that was said here diplomatically made me wonder if they didn't see entirely eye to eye with Marlowe's vision of the show.

We wanted to give the boys some content.

LOL.  So they've finally realised how empty and vapid they and other supporting characters have become by being given little to do beyond exposition, and doing the same notes again and again?

IIf after all this they try to make Bracken someone she's in league with over a shared foe I'm going to throw up.

I'm with you.  But I wouldn't be surprised at all (not pleasantly surprised, no ;)) if they went there.  Unless Bracken appears as a ghost, I doubt I'll be much surprised by what they do with him.

Let's hope they refrain about Alexis being grown up isn't going to come back to bite them.  Last time we heard that a lot was during the Pi arc and she behaved most poorly then.  Let's hope someone on staff truly understands what it is to be a modern, dynamic young woman who has a good respectful relationship with her father while being her own person.

My interpretation of this is that they haven't given any thought to what is going on with Lanie. After seven seasons all they can say about her is that she had a relationship with Esposito? Poor Tamala deserves better than that. I have no idea how she stays so positive about the show.

The paycheck? ;)  It's really a skill unto itself now for Tamala and the writers to actually talk about Lanie in interviews when there's really nothing to say.

And it seems like they can't even decide if they want to revisit Esplanie. It seems like it should be obvious they've beaten that story to death.

Exactly.  The problem in the first place was that they couldn't decide what they wanted to do with it and ended up ruining it.  Shouldn't writers want to know what they want to do with a character storyline before doing it?   Not so much, "wouldn't it be fun to put so and so together?".  End of.

Edited by madmaverick

What I can see happening is there will be a set number of episodes where you will hardly see Beckett and others where she'll have a much more prominent storyline and the same will go for Castle. The rest of the time they'll have three or four Caskett scenes interspersed through an episode. There were some moments last season where Castle and Beckett screen time barely reached 20 minutes, I certainly noticed and I expect that trend to be maintained in S8.

Agree with you about the structure of episodes. I think both will be given way more time off, and both will be given their own focus more often. It's just natural that it will result in less Caskett because of this. The talk we hear about more Alexis and the PI angle is indicative of this.

The fact they are broken up is probably going to make this whole thing worse and more abrupt to the casual viewer. I hope not...but I'm not confident about them giving the fans enough Caskett to satisfy people.

As for the screen time, it was worse than 20 minutes on average in season 7. It was closer to 12-15 minutes.  I went and recorded their screen-time months ago when I was having this debate with others about season 6 v season 7. I basically suggested that the 'quality' of Caskett scenes in season 7 improved over season 6, but the actual quantity was being reduced. Season 8 seems to have found a 'new' way to keep them apart, but it's clearly intentional, and doesn't look to be changing.

Fingers crossed they get the balance of Caskett right, and this isn't a trainwreck I fear it will be.

The debate isn't whether they have broken up, it's whether the viewer buys the reason for Beckett breaking up with him. There's no plot device that I'll personally accept where they couldn't work it out together. I just don't accept whatever reason they end up giving us.

As for my "two shows in one" comment. I refer to Castle PI and Captain Beckett. There's no question that both will interact with each other, but I'm certain we will see both work independently of each other more often than not. I don't believe you can realistically have Castle and Beckett working on the same cases every episode, so I very much doubt we'll experience the type of interactions we have had in the past. That's without even going into the complications of them being no longer involved.

Same here. I don't buy the "she has to keep him out of the loop or away from whatever she is investigating" because otherwise Castle's life is at stake. Has he ever listened to something like that ? He'll keep digging no matter what and keeps getting into trouble. What also bugs me is the stupid comment about how they fall in love and keep deepening their love blah blah blah. They are married for crying out loud. They are already IN love. After what they have overcome, how further can you deepen that love ?

As for the part of two shows in one --- I have to agree and I think Castle and Beckett will only interact because Castle is getting involved in whatever cases the boys will have to investigate. Since the new girl is so into breaking and entering I guess we'll see the boys dragging their behinds into the precinct where Captain Beckett has to explain the rulres to them. Or since she is going to be such a role model to Alexis, maybe they'll get busted and Castle has to bail them out or something. During those "fun" cases we'll get longing looks and sad faces. Maybe some hidden clues for Beckett that Castle is not giving up on their marriage or her.

So far I'm not so thrilled about this season. Alexis being shoved down our throats --- or well mine ---- more boys and Lanie ---- no thank you. Ryan I can get behind but Espo is plain boring and annoying. Same goes for Lanie. They didn't bother over the last 7 years so why should I start now ?

Same here. I don't buy the "she has to keep him out of the loop or away from whatever she is investigating" because otherwise Castle's life is at stake. Has he ever listened to something like that ? He'll keep digging no matter what and keeps getting into trouble. What also bugs me is the stupid comment about how they fall in love and keep deepening their love blah blah blah. They are married for crying out loud. They are already IN love. After what they have overcome, how further can you deepen that love ?

As for the part of two shows in one --- I have to agree and I think Castle and Beckett will only interact because Castle is getting involved in whatever cases the boys will have to investigate. Since the new girl is so into breaking and entering I guess we'll see the boys dragging their behinds into the precinct where Captain Beckett has to explain the rulres to them. Or since she is going to be such a role model to Alexis, maybe they'll get busted and Castle has to bail them out or something. During those "fun" cases we'll get longing looks and sad faces. Maybe some hidden clues for Beckett that Castle is not giving up on their marriage or her.

So far I'm not so thrilled about this season. Alexis being shoved down our throats --- or well mine ---- more boys and Lanie ---- no thank you. Ryan I can get behind but Espo is plain boring and annoying. Same goes for Lanie. They didn't bother over the last 7 years so why should I start now ?

I think that's what I am struggling with. I'm supposed to suddenly care about all these characters they haven't bothered to develop for 7 whole seasons simply because they have no option other than to care about them now??? I think it's gonna take a miracle for my Castle love to return. It's like under a week until the show returns and I can't get excited....it's just a feeling of dread and it's a total bummer. I need to try to shake my Castle ennui.

I haven't watched Castle in awhile, but I might check it out to see what changes have been made.  I like ensembles and wished this show were more like one.  I've never completely gotten the idea that the show should focus on only two characters when it has others waiting for their stories to be told.  Why should they remain paper thin?  I have no real concern that Haley (is that her name?) will take over Beckett's place but that her presence and as well as the other guy Beckett's working with might further erode Lanie's place on the show as she barely has one.  

All in all, I'd be more likely to watch a show if it can give decent to good material for all of its characters, not just Castle and Beckett, whom I've struggled to care a lot about for awhile and really haven't been enough reason for me to tune in.  I loved them in the earlier seasons, Castle the writer in particular, but now I'm indifferent, so change seems like a good thing at this point. 

I'm sorry but we've heard the PR spin ("deepening the love story") a thousand times before. I don't believe breaking them up is required for anything other than having a proper excuse to split up the two leads more often than not. In my eyes, they've been trying to find a believable way to do it for years now. There is no "overcoming an obstacle to be together" element to it. Beckett has decided to do it without Castle.

Season 7 was consistently having Castle and Beckett on screen together less than 10 minutes of a 42 minute episode (this is way down from season 6). Trust me...I know this..I had this debate with someone on a different forum. Now keep in mind season 7 was them married and investigating cases together.

Season 8, they are broken up. We've seen countless indications how they are looking to focus on different relationships (Beckett as captain and her new tech bff), Castle PI (Alexis and Hayley).

I just think it seems early to be making these calls. I don't see how anyone can make judgements about the characters actions, when we don't really know what they are yet.

Also, they are always talking about different relationships on the show' and it never ends up being as prominent as it sounds. And yes, the leads have had less screen time together in the past couple of seasons, they kind of have to if they are giving the actors time off. But if the quality of those scenes improves, it will be better than ten minutes of them together grilling random suspects. I would certainly prefer if they had more scenes together, but that's clearly not an option even if the characters were still together.

I also don't think the writers would be stupid enough to do a split if there wasn't a story behind it and they weren't going to be working there way back together. If it was about the actors having issues, there would be no need to write a personal break up. But I still think break up sounds like the wrong word for what's been described.

I also don't think the writers would be stupid enough to do a split if there wasn't a story behind it and they weren't going to be working there way back together.

The idea of 'working there way back together' is so open for interpretation and debate. I think you and I have completely different expectations when it comes to what is considered them 'working towards' something in this instance.

To me, if the show handles this like it has every other season long plot device (fundamentally ignoring it until they pick 1 episode to focus on it) then we are in for months of meaningless looks and awkward exchanges until mid November when there is significant progress in either the issue being resolved or Castle changing her mind.

To me, the pained looks on their faces, or conversations full of subtext isn't them working to be back together. To me, a few scenes here and there of Castle individually investigating this (whatever the issue is) by himself or with Team PI, isn't them working to get back to each other. Not in my eyes.

Nobody is going to disagree with what you said, but it's missing what people are concerned about it. Of course there will be a story behind the break up, of course we will learn why Beckett feels like she had to break up with him. But having a story for it, having a reason for it, doesn't change the fact they didn't have to separate Castle and Beckett.

In my eyes...there is no adequate way to explain why they have to break up and yet can still be around each other during cases (even if they investigate separately). To me, this is just a cheap reset of the show, that's all this is.

Edited by Chado

The idea of 'working there way back together' is so open for interpretation and debate. I think you and I have completely different expectations when it comes to what is considered them 'working towards' something in this instance.

To me, if the show handles this like it has every other season long plot device (fundamentally ignoring it until they pick 1 episode to focus on it) then we are in for months of meaningless looks and awkward exchanges until mid November when there is significant progress in either the issue being resolved or Castle changing her mind.

To me, the pained looks on their faces, or conversations full of subtext isn't them working to be back together. To me, a few scenes here and there of Castle individually investigating this (whatever the issue is) by himself or with Team PI, isn't them working to get back to each other. Not in my eyes.

Nobody is going to disagree with what you said, but it's missing what people are concerned about it. Of course there will be a story behind the break up, of course we will learn why Beckett feels like she had to break up with him. But having a story for it, having a reason for it, doesn't change the fact they didn't have to separate Castle and Beckett.

In my eyes...there is no adequate way to explain why they have to break up and yet can still be around each other during cases (even if they investigate separately). To me, this is just a cheap reset of the show, that's all this is.

I don't think pained looks and subtext is working their way back to each other either. I'm not sure why you'd think I did. I will be very disappointed if that is what happens or if they ignore this all season and only mention it during sweeps. And I completely understand what people are concerned about. I share those concerns. I hate the idea of Caskett being separated. So yes, this season might completely suck. But I'm not ready to say it definitely will. My point is just that I think it's too early to really judge. We don't know that they'll just be pained looks and subtext and we don't know how many minutes of screen time they'll have together (although we know that will be less than early seasons). Everything we've been saying in this thread is speculation, and it may turn out differently than we think.

Also, when I said there was a story, I didn't mean the story behind the break up. I meant that they have a story in terms of how they will be interacting about it all season, and NOT ignoring it all year. We have new show runners, so it is possible. Because again, why would the writers do this and upset all the fans if they were just going to ignore it? It makes no sense, even if you believe their are BTS issues at play.

Tumblr will shortly become a no go area if you wish to stay spoiler free.

Babar ‏@BabarSTV  1 hr1 hour ago
The screener for #Castle's season premiere is here. Expect my preview for it later today at @SpoilerTV

So AH and TPW have chosen to describe the season opening 2 parter as "delightful"

Not a word I would chose to use to describe an episode where you are breaking up your much loved main duo....

That's "Marlowe-esque" in its sheer stupidity....I can't wait to see what words fans come up with and I'm pretty sure not many will be sitting back at the end of the 2nd part saying "well, that was just delightful!!!"

Exciting? Maybe. Intriguing? Maybe. Horsesh*t? Maybe. But delightful?? I doubt it!!

The GMMR interview continues to reveal story plans for both the new and secondary characters, but little about the Caskett relationship except that something will change it. I still expect that the “breakup” will last no longer than 3 episodes past the 2-part premiere. The reason for the split will be weak, but viewers will stay the course until the story reaches a point where the new writers have them actually living apart. That kind of scenario will lose viewership quickly because it just makes little sense after such a short period of matrimony regardless of the danger. The new show runners are trying to be too clever with the love story. I wonder what ABC has set for a floor viewership number before the network will force a direction change. The network can't possibly think that a whole season of them living apart will keep the audience watching given the viewership drop last season.

• Love 2

First preview up from Joy at Gossip and Gab. I'm trying not to read any of them as it never usually enhances my viewing experience so look at these links at your own risk.

Castle Season 8 Episode 1 ‘XY’ Preview

Not written by Joy. During the summer hiatus, she was not that optimistic about season 8 especially with the Castle PI/Alexis add-in and Caskett working apart. She never did comment about the blind item during the summer. I hope she is still on board at Gossip and Gab because if the season does go sideways early, I will use her blog to keep in touch with the show.

Joy reviews Castle on G&G and she's usually good, it's just been pointed out to me that it's someone else which might explain the lack of quality. The trouble with a lot of these screener reviews is that they give access to just about anybody with a blog these days so the "reviews" can leave a lot to be desired, they're either way too spoilery or there's far too much fangirling and amateurish writing.  Matt at TV Line doesn't seem to bother any more at least he put some critical analysis into it.    

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

VinceW. Thanks for pointing that out, my apologies I should have checked, I just assumed it was her, I'll get that corrected. I hope she's still around too, I enjoy reading her reviews.

CASTLE: 6 Things to Know About the Season 8 Premiere at ScreenSpy

That has a little bit more details and boy I can't roll my eyes far enough into my skull. Whatever they have planned for Beckett - I sure hope it's actually better than what I have read.
  • Love 1

Stana Katic Brasil has her review up but it's in Portuguese at the moment!

But no doubt someone will translate it very soon, or you can do it yourself on google and get a good enough idea. 

Warning her reviews can be rather spoilery if memory serves me right.

Any reviews I find I'll post a link on the media thread too. 

Edited by verdana

I wish I hadn't clicked on that link. Not because I didn't like what it said, but because I would have liked to be surprised.

I wish I hadn't clicked on that link. Not because I didn't like what it said, but because I would have liked to be surprised.

Ditto.  Let's form a support group so that we don't click on any more links! ;)  I don't think I let previews really influence my reaction to an episode, but yeah, I would have liked being surprised by a thing or two even if they don't have a big impact on my enjoyment or not of an episode.  

FWIW, so far the previews are more a list of bullet points of stuff that happens in the episode more than the viewer's impression of the episode.  Guess they're saving their thoughts for the review. ;)

I kind of prefer previews/reviews from people who aren't really fannish about the show so that they can take a step back and give a more objective picture.  So many of the screeners go to fan websites and end up reviewed by not too professional fangirls who have clearly developed their own preferences about the show and the characters, often I don't find those articles to be particularly interesting or insightful.

madmaverick. I'm just posting what I find on tumblr/twitter etc from the usual people who seem to get these screeners (and she's one of them) but I know what you mean, she's not to everyone's taste....is that the polite way of putting it?  

Spoilery promo pics for 8x02 (confusing the Caskett stuff more lol):

@Sandraxf: #SPOILER #Castle 802 "XX" - Promotional Photos (image credit: ABC) http://t.co/ilfnz2Iqrs

A sweet Caskett kiss....then she breaks the bad news she has to leave him for his own good? LOL 

In which part of the premiere do we think they break-up? Has there been evidence one way or another?

I presume it's right at the end of 8.02.  If it had happened already I think we'd have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth by now on tumblr, twitter etc Edited by verdana

Don't kill my mood, verdana!  But it would be very Marlowe style to drop a bombshell in the very last few seconds and fade out on Castle's angsty look a la Beckett's in S2.  Maybe no TV writer can resist ending on a sucker punch.  Hmm... can they have dirty dreams about each other that we get to see even when they're broken up? :P ;)

madmaverick. I'm just posting what I find on tumblr/twitter etc from the usual people who seem to get these screeners (and she's one of them) but I know what you mean, she's not to everyone's taste....is that the polite way of putting it?  

She's certainly not been polite or restrained in expressing her opinions in the past. ;) 

And I appreciate you rounding up all the links here.  Didn't mean to imply that anything shouldn't be posted.  People can judge for themselves.

Beckett's hair and wardrobe is looking great in those 802 promo pics!  I like that olive green on her.  Castle's suit jacket looks ill fitting as usual.

Edited by madmaverick

I presume it's right at the end of 8.02 that they break the bad news. If it had happened already I think we'd have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth by now on tumblr, twitter etc

Those 802 pics make you wonder if they kept the breakup or ditched it. It must be after everyone thinks everything is back to normal and then blindsided at the very end.