Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

Earlier today I went to take a sip of water and noticed (fortunately before taking the sip) that a spider was hanging out on my cup and just now I went to bring in the washing and noticed 2 rows of 4 neon green eggs on my sheet. I guess the plus is I noticed them before they hatched into whatever they are.

• Love 1

I looooove pumpkin pie. Specifically Mrs. Smith's. Usually I'm all about homemade desserts (especially because I enjoy baking) but pumpkin pie is an exception. Mrs Smith's is better than any other pumpkin pie I've ever tried.

So that and mince pie are out two Thanksgiving desserts. I'm actually not sure which I like better oh the two. They're both so good.

I don't put raisins of any kind in my rice pudding. I like to add chopped or grated apple, though. I also use coconut butter, melted and mixed with water, instead of milk. It's not custardy, though. I suppose you could make it set up like custard by adding more eggs?

I love to bake, and I love pecan pie, but I have never made pecan pie myself. I feel intimidated by it, somehow. It looks like it would be very different than making a fruit-based pie, or something like pumpkin or sweet potato or anything else custardy. I used to make a banana coconut creme pie, though. That was serious fun.

In any recipe, I always cut the sugar down to half or 1/3 of what the recipe calls for. That's how I avoid it being too sweet for my tastes. I also read in a few different places that cinnamon helps with glucose metabolism, so it makes sense that sweet recipes often call for cinnamon. I like things spicy, so sometimes I add a little more cinnamon than is called for by SOP.

I looooove pumpkin pie. Specifically Mrs. Smith's. Usually I'm all about homemade desserts (especially because I enjoy baking) but pumpkin pie is an exception. Mrs Smith's is better than any other pumpkin pie I've ever tried.

So that and mince pie are out two Thanksgiving desserts. I'm actually not sure which I like better oh the two. They're both so good.

I don't like pumpkin pie, but I do love mince pie.  However, I'm the only one in my family who does, so I usually just get the Sara Lee frozen version around Christmas, and have a piece with coffee in the morning until it's gone.  

And yeah, finding a spider on my cup would probably mean the end of the cup, since I would definitely freak out and throw it across the room!

Look, I'm not gonna say "pumpkin pie is the best, the bee's knees" but vegetable-y?  Just for that, I'm gonna bring a pumpkin pie as one of the potluck this week, and discern this issue, and give my ruling.  I wasn't gonna bring any pie- one of my friends makes a kick-ass homemade chocolate cake, which is normally the only time I have chocolate cake all year-  but I Shall Have Pumpkin Pie As Well!

Kalliste your spider story was no big deal til "NEON green eggs."  So did you squash the eggs? You could have potentially robbed the world of an Aussie spiderman! (or spiderwoman)

Half cup butter cold?  And cut them and GRIND in a food processor? Hard cold butter?

I'm in the right mind to just go "I Unfriend you" LL.  You be talking crazy.

You are are confused little non-baker, KOB.  This is an often-used technique to make a crust flaky, instead of chewy.  Since the butter is cold and a blade rather than a mixer is used, the tiny lumps of butter do not completely blend.  When the crust is baked, the butter lumps melt, making little layers.

The more you knooooow...

• Love 2

Thank goodness no one chose the "no dessert for me, I'll be too full" option. I knew I liked you all. When I do Thanksgiving at home, I usually make a pie that has pumpkin but also cream cheese, vanilla pudding, and plenty'o'whipped topping. I'm not crazy about plain pumpkin, and this is a perfect compromise. Or sometimes I get a Ted's pumpkin haupia pie. (Ted's is a local bakery and haupia is a coconut pudding.) If you're ever on O'ahu, let me know and I'll hook you up.

Kalliste your spider story was no big deal til "NEON green eggs."  So did you squash the eggs? You could have potentially robbed the world of an Aussie spiderman! (or spiderwoman)

I thought "hmm, I wonder what lays these" and then I thought "I wonder if it's still on the sheet that I'm holding right now!" I looked my best but it could be possible I missed a gross black spider while looking at my black sheet with neon green eggs. The internet hasn't been overly helpful, it tells me it's insect eggs/butterfly eggs/spider eggs. I don't really want any of those hatching in my cupboard any time soon.

And if you're interested, they look like this

and in the end I flicked them off :P

On the pumpkin pie side.. I have never had a single slice ever. I don't think I've ever seen a pumpkin pie sold here.

And if you're interested, they look like this

Guys, I'm pretty sure aliens have landed at Kalliste's. Let's all keep an eye on her posts, make sure we don't see any significant personality shifts that might indicate alien possession.

(the pumpkin pie denial is slightly suspicious)

Edited by sacrebleu

Those green eggs are adorable, but I agree it would be unwise to hatch an unknown species in the house. I wonder if they are the same as the ones cooked with ham in that famous Dr Seuss book.

Do you not have pumpkins at all, or just no pumpkin pie? What about sweet potatoes and sweet potato pie?

We have pumpkin although it's usually just baked or roasted and that's really about it. I didn't even know sweet potato pie was a thing..

Maybe we're just not a pie country :)

Speaking of neon green related aliens, I played a game called 'Lifeline' on iOS. It's a text based game where the character, Taylor, crash landed onto a moon and for some reason his communicator comes to you as texts and you help him through and provide decision making input along the way... and apparently let him die, he died in my game today. RIP Taylor.

Those pumpkin brownies look amazing.

I made sweet potato pie with pecan crust and pecans sprinkled on top, and another one with crystallized ginger on top instead of the pecans. They both came out better than I'd even hoped for-- just so good. I don't know which I prefer, they are both so good. I don't know why I never tried to jazz up the pies before. They were good plain, but this is the extra something.

Likewise, those pumpkin brownies look like a combination of brownie and custard-- what could be better? Does anything NOT go well with chocolate?

Just a quick note- I am thankful for this little corner of the intertubes where I can spout off on jetpacks, cookies, movies, my dislike for Halloween, ticking time bombs, twss, funny internet things, post random polls, and throw abuse at Glory, TooLateKev, Kalliste, LiberryLady, and ... well I guess ALL of you. If I actually had an office to work in I'd probably just be lurking.

• Love 5

I'm thankful for all of you, as well. Even if KoB doesn't understand my priorities. And even if I can't spend as much time here as I want. *smooch*

I made two pumpkin cheesecakes this morning and a caramel apple pie. I'm a little worried about the apple pie because I fucked up the oven temp. But I think I salvaged it. That's what happens when you leave your pies until the last minute.

• Love 1

I have spent the last few weeks unsubscribing for mailing lists and stuff that I don't read anymore.. they just seem to keep coming. I never knew I was subscribed to so many things!

lol KoB and we love the abuse you throw :P and your surveys, even if I never have an option to choose :D

I'm thankful for you all too, it's the one place on the internet that I keep coming back to (and I haven't been in the mod area in a while.. maybe I should pop in and say hi to them) and feel I can freely say whatever I want and you're all ok with that. YAY for good internet haunts :)

• Love 1

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!  i just got back from my annual trip to my brother's house for dinner. This year we had ambulances because my SIL's mother went unresponsive for a few minutes, but she ended up being just fine.  And I had a good laugh because my nephew's wife told me when she's talking to her kids (two little boys ages 5 and 2 named Hunter and Caleb), sometimes when she is trying to call Hunter she starts saying Caleb, catches herself, and calls him "Cunter".  

• Love 3

I think Pixel's friend should just call BOTH kids "Calunter" and that will solve the issue.

Verdict:  NOT vegetable-y! If anything pumpkin pie is cinnamon-y.  So, that's debunked! Had a whole discussion about this with other p-pie eaters.

I brought not one but TWO of my own tupperware containers to the potluck I was at, so I look forward to turkey-n-stuffing again tonight! Mmm.

Is that $9 American? How much is a shake normally in Australia?

It's finally chocolate covered cherry season! I think people either love or hate them. I am temporarily obsessed with them every year from Thanksgiving until New Year's. They alone are responsible for any holiday weight gain for me.

Oh, and I am thankful that you all don't forget about me, even though I don't post as often as I'd like. And I do read everybody's stuff, it's just that by the time I show up and have a chance to respond, the conversation has usually already moved on.

Thickshakes aren't a thing there? Maybe your milkshakes are thickshakes by default.. or maybe you call a frappe a thickshake based on KoB's link?

So, here we have all three and they're all different :P

Milkshake - Milk, flavouring and some icecream (sometimes, depending on where you buy it) mixed in a milkshake maker or blender until frothy.

vd_milkshake.jpg

thickshake - As above but lots more icecream. what McDonalds sell here as shakes (I assume they're universal? Maybe not) would be considered a thickshake.My test of a good thickshake is that if you stick a straw in the middle of the cup it doesn't slide over to the rim, the shake holds it up.

TC_thickshake.jpg

frappe - These are generally milk, ice, flavouring and icecream all blended until smooth. Some places are crap at making them and you end up with chunks of ice but ideally it's ice and smooth.

ccb_frappeshake.jpg

^ My favourite frappe in the world. I had one today actually :P

All images from my blog, which you can check out for more Australian food oddities (maybe :P)

The price is $9 AUD which at one point in time would have been the equivalent of $9USD but recently our dollar has dropped, a lot. Even still things are generally more expensive here. Currently it would be $6.47USD. There is a pretty big variance in price for shakes, we are currently going through a 'freakshake' craze where they look impossible to drink:

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide998277600gia4yi

I haven't had one of these, and yes that is a full size brownie. This cafe is so popular (well it might be a bit less now) that people wait hours to get one and sometimes get turned away because they've sold out.

Anyway, they can range from $5AUD/$3.60AUD to $12AUD/$8.63USD with the average around $4.70USD.. and now you know everything there is to know about shakes in Australia :P - I may happen to really like chocolate thickshakes, if you hadn't worked it out :D

Lol Stewedsquash, nice one :)

• Love 2

I'm a fan of chocolate covered cherries. Really, chocolate goes with everything.

Those "freakshakes" look terrifying and amazing. I'm not even sure how you'd approach one. I guess you use a fork (or your fingers?) to eat the top off, and then drink the rest? Or do you mash the brownie/or whatever into smaller pieces and let them float in the shake part til they soften, and then drink/eat it? Either way, a project for an ambitious person. I usually take my sugary delights the easy way, making them less of a puzzle and more of a guzzle, but I tip my hat to the creative! Though... I don't like that they're already overflowing and messy even before you start. I spill enough on my own.

I bought wool from New Zealand once (www.TreliskeOrganic.com) but I've never bought anything from Australia. I can't even remember how we dealt with the exchange rate issue. Maybe it's something a credit card handles for you? I remember waiting to find out how much I'd actually be spending.... I did once take in a foster cat, for someone from the USA who got a Fulbright to spend a year in Australia, though. And in 5th grade I wrote my "country report" on Australia. Do people in other countries write "country reports" about the United States? If so, what do you say? We did "State Reports" but never anything to cover the USA as a whole.

Now I've gone from dessert to school. My apologies! Back to vacation!

• Love 1

Yeah,  I don't want a dessert that I can't even pick up either. I have no idea how people tackle them :P And yes, chocolate does go with everything!

As far as exchange rates your card/bank usually takes care of it for you as well as charging a fee for conversion.. that is my experience anyway.

I don't think we ever did reports like that, that I can recall. If anything, it would have been in our second language class about whatever country/language we were learning. I learnt Indonesian from year 2 to 8 so most of my 'other country' learning was about it.

I think the funniest thing about today's chocolate milkshake chit-chat is:

All images from my blog, which you can check out for more Australian food oddities (maybe :P)

So that means Kalliste has had MANY of these thickshakes! BTW I get it now, the whole "a straw stands up" idea. And yeah, McDonalds shakes (and In-n-Out, and many others) are like this.

But I just like the word "frappe." Its the almost-a-New Englander in me.

Christmas: About a week ago I told my Mom about one book I wanted. She already wrapped and sent it and basically found out it's sort of a "dare." The don't think I can go til Christmas without opening it.

I've taken the dare!

PS

Do people in other countries write "country reports" about the United States?

I think I did this on Canada, and then in ... 11th grade? I also took a Canadian studies class.

PS2- Boy, are frappes expensive in Australia!  Yikes!

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

Yes, I have had many a shake :P It's usually my go to drink anywhere I eat, if possible.. sometime highly disappointing, I need to learn my lesson on ordering chocolate shakes in Italian restaurants :D

A lot of things are expensive here unfortunately. Although I've always felt that things were quite cheap in the US. Especially when our dollars were roughly the same. Today, for example, my bf and I went out to breakfast/brunch/early lunch and bought: fish and chips, an 'aussie' burger (burger with the lot which includes: meat, cheese, bacon, egg, onion, beetroot, lettuce, tomato, pineapple and sauce - what would this be called over there?) and 2x frappe and it came to $43AUD ($31USD) and that is just considered acceptable for a cafe breakfast here. What would the equivalent be over there?

Good luck on the gift dare! :P

Are blizzards similar to concretes? I think we've had this discussion before though :D Concrete's being frozen custard with toppings mixed in.

I'm not quite sure what the episodes would be about, basically just following someone around whatever area they want to buy in and they buy a house? Is it the house styles in Australia that make it less interesting? Right now a house about 5mins away from me is for sale and I've always been interested in it, until a few months ago it was painted purple on the outside but for some reason they then painted it black (whaat?) and well.. now I sort of want it: link

I especially love that the top floor is basically all master bedroom! And the backyard is so pretty and getaway like.. too bad it's on a fairly main road.

A lot of newer houses in my city are 'mcmansions' which, if anyone doesn't know, is big houses on small to medium sized blocks. There's a bunch of whingers on a local website that talk about how it's ruining the city and kids don't have backyards and concrete jungle wah wah wah.

It's not the kind of weather I like either :P well, where I live isn't humid so that is a plus but it's cold (for me) in winter and hot in summer.. my bf is going to Wellington NZ in just over a week and it appears to have the perfect climate.. -1C/30F at it's coldest and average of around 22C/71F during summer.. sounds like bliss.. except for all those earthquakes they have.

Lol I have considered doing something on my blog about the area I live in, a lot of people complain that there are no green areas and it's all houses on top of each other so I'd like to go around taking photos of the different suburbs and show that, maybe the backyards are smaller than old suburbs but there is plentiful parkland. 

Photos of my area behind a spoiler tag, I've done too many photos today :P

Across the road from my place:
11899629_519809908175026_1937248450_n.jp

One cold morning up the street:

11327378_814287518657626_552852329_n.jpg

And cows at the farm up the other end of the street.. I have to say it is odd having a farm right in the middle of the suburb:
10802946_294374504090600_1049291658_n.jp

KoB's mom sounds like fun, with her dare. Will you double dog dare her back? What can you send her as temptation?

Those are good looking cows, Kalliste!

I suppose people feel they can't enjoy the pasture if it's private and/or actively being grazed, but I've enjoyed just having that kind of activity and open space around even when I don't actually traverse it.

I saw a Nature (maybe it was Nova, but I think it was Nature) program about kangaroos in the cities. I forget which cities it was. Some of the suburbs (and even the cities) have deer in the USA-- my friend who lives in Philadelphia has them-- but of course we don't get kangaroos anywhere. I think most other large mammals stay out of urban areas, but there have been bears and an occasional moose in smaller cities. And lots of the smaller cities/suburbs have medium-sized animals, like raccoons, rabbits, foxes, groundhogs, and skunks. Anywhere they can find a place to live and something to eat. People are everywhere! I'm sure the other animals see it as us moving into their neighborhoods, rather than vice versa.

Of course, in the real rural areas we get lots more animals than that, but that seems more to be expected.

That Yankee magazine made me wonder if there is an equivalent to Southern Living magazine, for the other regions of the country. I searched but don't know what it would be called to really search.

eta I love chocolate covered cherries. My favorite are the dark chocolate with the clear juice inside versus the milk chocolate with cloudy juice. 

There is Sunset magazine, which covers the west/southwest. Plus, I've seen magazines for individual states and cities. I subscribe to Seattle magazine, which (of course) covers Seattle and also does "road trips" to other areas of Washington state.

I also like chocolate covered cherries, but like you, I prefer the ones without the fondant inside. The ones I get are called Cella. They do come in dark chocolate (which is what I get), but they are more difficult to find unless it is around Christmas time.

I got my Christmas tree put up yesterday. I still need to redo my doll displays. I'll probably do that today, unless I'm feeling lazy.

Today, for example, my bf and I went out to breakfast/brunch/early lunch and bought: fish and chips, an 'aussie' burger (burger with the lot which includes: meat, cheese, bacon, egg, onion, beetroot, lettuce, tomato, pineapple and sauce - what would this be called over there?) and 2x frappe and it came to $43AUD ($31USD) and that is just considered acceptable for a cafe breakfast here. What would the equivalent be over there?

There is literally no equivalent in the US that I know of. Nobody puts beet on burgers (Dwight Schrute, maybe). Nobody puts pineapple on burgers. (Maybe in Hawaii...never been there, don't know for sure.) I don't know of anyone putting egg on burgers. People sometimes make their burgers by mixing some raw egg into the ground beef; it holds it together and adds moisture, but nobody fries an egg, for example, and plops it onto a burger. So I guess we'd have to call it an Aussie burger, too, and shake our heads at the oddness that is Australia. Fellow U.S. folks, am I wrong? How about Canadians -- do you put these things on a burger?

That said, I'm sure there are many things that you would find very odd that we do, but they're normal to us so we can't even say what they are. Most pizza places will have as one of their many offerings a Hawaiian pizza which has pineapple and ham on it. Is that weird in Australia or normal?

A fried egg on a burger isn't super common, but it's not so unusual. I've seen it on lots of menus and have ordered burgers that have an egg on top. Beet is something I've never heard of being put on a burger, though I would totally try that (I love beets). But putting all of that stuff just seems like it would be impossible to eat!

Re: price, for a burger with the works, fish and chips, and two frappes I don't think $31 sounds super expensive, though you could definitely get that meal for cheaper in some places.

Edited by smrou

I've had pineapple on a burger here in SoCal, but with teriyaki sauce... not all that other stuff.

Yep, a typical "teriyaki burger" has pineapple and teriyaki sauce, and usually cheese.  Red Robin and Carl's Jr/Hardees both have one.  Not all the other stuff at the same time, though.  I have seen eggs on burgers at different restaurants/chains.

I had a burger with egg and bacon at Red Robin a few months ago. It was good, but not my favorite. Beets and pineapple would be a deal breaker for me, beets especially.

So, we had our Thanksgiving dinner today to help with schedules. It was very yummy--adding sour cream to mashed potatoes made quite the difference. So good. The butter and milk didn't hurt, either. Because we were a small group, it was just a breast, though we got some drumsticks and thighs for me since I like dark meat. But I only made one dessert--a gluten free pumpkin cake bar--since I don't like pumpkin pie and my mom does. Well, she likes pumpkin roll, but this was easier to make and very yummy. Even if I didn't put raisins or walnuts in the cake, just the ginger. But I missed having apple crisp.

The best part of Thanksgiving is the sandwich made later. 

I would call burgers piled on with lots of goodies "a burger with everything". "All the way" means something different in my neck of the woods, and is not food related.

I'm curious if Aussies treat beets like an everyday occurance. Are they popular? COuld beets be the Aussie pumpkin?

I almost never hear of anyone eating beets for any reason, except maybe borscht once in a long while if you're sentimental for your grandma and you have her recipe from the Old Country.

Beet salad exists, but it's not very commonly spoken of or consumed in the circles I live in.

And when I was a kid, we used to get this horseradish relish made with horseradish, vinegar, salt, and beets for eating with gefilte fish (don't get me started on gefilte fish-- I hated it as a kid but as an adult I realize it's because my family bought it canned and in full disgustingness, but if you cook it at home using a decent recipe, it's actually good and not the stuff of vomiting and nightmares). Now I make my own horseradish and I don't use beets in it. And I haven't had gefilte fish since my friend's seder several years ago.

I've gone off track.

Beets: I think Dwigt being a beet farmer was meant to highlight how out of the mainstream he was. On the other hand, beet sugar is used in commercial cooking (not so much home cooking), and some food colorings are made from beets as well, so there's that. Schrute Farm may have been selling beets for sugar and color to commercial food processors, not for everyday use by the general public. Or perhaps, they exported to Australia.

I am opposed to pineapple or ham on pizza, but I am a tiny voice in the wilderness.

frenchtoast, that sounds like a lovely dinner. I love apple crisp, too, and have been putting off making it.

We do have Hawaiian pizza as well. I quite like pineapple on pizza too :)

I was actually thinking about the beetroots in US thing. We do have beetroot salad here and it's on burgers but that's really all the uses I can think of it (sometimes the juice is used in baking) and for the most part they're not fresh beets, it's usually out of a can. I can eat it straight out of the can, and usually do :P

As for eggs on burgers that's fairly common here, I prefer the eggs to be well done but by default it's usually a fried egg with runny yolk which I don't really understand.. who wants egg yolk running down their arms?

Whenever I make burgers at home it has the meat, bacon, cheese, egg, beetroot (sometimes pineapple but by then it starts getting too big and hard to eat) lettuce tomato and sauce, usually ketchup. That's just a standard burger for us really. It's strange how it differs between country's. 

If you buy a burger with the lot here it usually comes with all of that and onion, if I'm really lucky it'll come with beetroot and pineapple but it's usually one or the other.

ETA: I forgot to add something about the guy and his gold plated balls... why would you even contemplate that? And who the hell uses lead based paint in their bodies.. what an idiot.

I would call burgers piled on with lots of goodies "a burger with everything".

With everything or with the works, maybe. But honestly I'm not sure what that would mean. I think it would vary from place to place and there's no particular assortment of toppings that I would consider to be "everything". I mean, if you're keeping it basic I guess that would be lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles. But that seems way more simple than the piled-high Aussie burger sounds.

"All the way" means something different in my neck of the woods, and is not food related.

:)

I almost never hear of anyone eating beets for any reason, except maybe borscht once in a long while if you're sentimental for your grandma and you have her recipe from the Old Country.

Huh. I eat beets pretty regularly (I usually roast them whole with a little bit of salt and then cut them up, fwiw, but I also sometimes just buy them canned), and also I know I've had conversations with other people about eating beets because we've talked about how difficult it is not to end up dying everything pink in the process of preparing them. 

Beet salad exists, but it's not very commonly spoken of or consumed in the circles I live in.

Mmm, beet salad.

As for eggs on burgers that's fairly common here, I prefer the eggs to be well done but by default it's usually a fried egg with runny yolk which I don't really understand.. who wants egg yolk running down their arms?

I mean, down my arms, no, but I kind of don't see the point of having the egg if the yolk isn't runny. The yummy runny yolk mixing with the rest of the burger is what makes it good, imo.

A freaky concoction I've never tried is this egg gondola pizza. I go by this place sometimes for a slice of 'za for lunch. Any of you tried anything like that?

And, there's another place that has great food, but I cannot stand the pickled turnips in beet juice they give out as a side dish.

why would you even contemplate that? And who the hell uses lead based paint in their bodies.. what an idiot.

But come on, a gold penis and balls! All the ladies would go for that!

KoB, a pizza with egg here is called an Aussie pizza :P I guess we just put egg on everything :D I've made something sort of similar to that where you use puff pastry, cook it a little bit so it puffs up, push down the middle and throw some bacon in and crack an egg on top then back into the oven until it's cooked to your liking.

Re: runny yolk eggs.. I can't stand runny egg yolk so my no runny yolk burger preference may be more based on that than having it run down my arm. I just can't stand the texture or the taste and I feel like they're undercooked like that.

I've made something sort of similar to that where you use puff pastry, cook it a little bit so it puffs up, push down the middle and throw some bacon in and crack an egg on top then back into the oven until it's cooked to your liking.

This sounds excellent and I may have to try it.

• Love 1
A freaky concoction I've never tried is this egg gondola pizza. I go by this place sometimes for a slice of 'za for lunch. Any of you tried anything like that?

I've seen (and eaten) pizzas with fried eggs on them, but never like that.