Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

Sorry about your sad/bad news, KoB.

I've seen the first 5 Star Wars movies (or #s 4, 5, 6, 1, and 2, I guess, although I dozed off a little during 1 or 2) and don't plan to see the new one. If my husband husband wants to see it, I might go with him, though. We did make a rare outing to the movies last weekend, though, for The Martian. Matt Damon has said a couple of bone-headed things lately, but I think he's a good guy who was regrettably stupid, and he has enormous appeal.

I'm sure you can get more details by Googling, but basically he was filmed saying that diversity in front of the cameras (actors) is what matters, not diversity behind the cameras (directors, writers, etc). "Diverse" people were understandably not happy about this. I think he said it to a black woman. Good move, Matt! :/

• Love 1

Had a plan of going to work early today.. lay in bed essentially staring at the ceiling until I finally fell asleep at 5:30, needless to say when my alarm went off at 6:15 I wasn't overly pleased and decided I wasn't going to work at all. ZzZ zZz ZzZ

• Love 1

I haven't had to call in to an office and say "{gurgle} I'm sick... can't make it in today {cough cough}" for 18-plus years. How do you do that?  Kalliste, did you call in?  Or do you just text/email your boss nowadays? That way you don't have to come up with an excuse, or have an "I'm sick" conversation with someone.

Speaking of- in November of 2013, I got a DOOZY of a cold/ flu. The previous time I had been that sick was way back in 1999. (I partied like it was 1999 and paid for it) And so last year, on the advice of my friend's fiance- a nurse- I got the flu shot for the first time in my life. Didn't get sick last year, got the shot at CVS, no biggie. Does this mean I have to get the shot again THIS year?  Or will the kryponite in my blood fend off the heinous things again like it has most of my life?

It depends on where you work and how much your boss trusts you KoB :P I just sms my boss and say I'm not coming in. I used to have a work phone so I'd email my boss and let him know then let him know of any work that needs to be done that day.

Sometimes they'll call you back and ask for a med cert or something but i haven't had that happen in years.

Pretty sure you need to get that shot every year. I rely on everyone else getting them to protect me :P

So my neighbour has a hedge near our shared fence that he maintains. It was about 1 metre taller than the fence so that's been for us.

He mentioned how it was getting too tall for him to cut the top so was getting someone in to cut it back for him. It is now approx 20cm taller than the fence and for the first time I can see the neighbours yard... I miss the old hedge already

Since I work with about seventy kindergarteners, I decided this year to get the flu shot.  When I told the lady at Target I was going to look away when she got the needle ready since "I'm not good with these things," she asked, "Have you ever had a bad reaction to a flu shot?"

"This is my first flu shot," I told her.

"This is your first flu shot?!?" she said in disbelief. "What made you decide to start now?"

So I told her about the germ soup that I work in, but I was a leetle bit offended, because I felt like the subtext was How did you go soooo many years before without a flu shot?

Does this mean I have to get the shot again THIS year?  Or will the kryponite in my blood fend off the heinous things again like it has most of my life?

We'll have to ask Pixel for confirmation, but I believe the answer is yes.  My understanding is that the flu virus mutates, so being immune to last year's flu won't help you with this year's.  On the bright side, I read that this year the flu immunization is very close to the actual virus, so it's more effective than some other years.

Yes, the flu shot is a yearly thing. I get it some years, and not others, and my kids get it most years. For us, it sort of depends on if we happen to have an appointment in the right time frame. Occasionally, I've made a special appointment for the kids to get one. Knocking wood...none of us have ever gotten a flu that I recall, even in the years we didn't get the shot. However, I'd recommend getting it if you can.

Saturday- the day where some weird looking strangers come up the path to your door, and you don't go grabbing your six-shooter!

Halloween! If you're not off dealing with your own private Greg Pikitis situation, perhaps you'll be handing out goods to the costumed? What kind of candy will you hand out/ what's your favorite indulgence?

ps you can pick up to 6 kinds.

Edited by King of Birds

I haven't actually bought any Halloween candy and I don't know if I'll be home to hand it out (if not I'll just put it out on the step in a bowl, so I'll be buying some anyway) so I'm not positive, but I selected Kit Kats because I usually get those, often along with something else. I don't get a lot of trick-or-treaters at my house and we're not longer allowed to give candy to students, which is how I used to deal with the leftovers. So Kit Kats are something that I like a lot but also won't totally binge on and therefore they make a good choice when I consider that the leftovers will mostly be eaten by me.

I picked Kit Kats (what, no regular Reeses?), but I generally get two smaller bags of assorted candy; one chocolate, one non-chocolate.  I never know how many kids will show up.  Two years ago was my highest number ever, with around 40 showing up. So last year I bought a couple of large bags, and--3 kids showed up.  Since it's a Saturday, I'm expecting a larger number.  Any leftovers will go to the local soup kitchen, as they did last year.

I went to the movies Saturday, and saw Bridge of Spies, which was excellent. Suspenseful, humorous, and well-acted.  

This may shock you KoB but my answer to your quiz is 'none of the above' sorry to be a party pooper :P

If given the choice of which candy I'd hand to myself, I'd choose Kit Kats, M&Ms, Starburst, Jolly Ranchers and PixyStix - the latter 2, because you can't buy them here anymore :'(

Adding to the Kit Kat love. My building doesn't get trick or treaters, not even kids in the building. But I have a bag of candy on hand (just in case). But its a variety (Kit Kats, Reeces, Hersheys, and Almond Joys).

I get the flu shot every year. I'm fortunate enough that two of my last three employers bring a flu shot clinic to work, so it's just a matter of making the appointment and taking an elevator down a few floors. I've been flu free (knockwood) for ten years!

• Love 1

This may shock you KoB but my answer to your quiz is 'none of the above' sorry to be a party pooper :P

Color me shocked! that you seemingly never answer the poll, when I give like TWENTY options.  Yeah, big frickin' surprise there.

I think I ran a similar posting like this (sans poll voting) on twop once. Apologies if this all seems familiar.

Late Night ETA:

"Can I be Donald Trump?"

the horror.... the horror...

Edited by King of Birds

We actually won't be here for Halloween this year, and leaving the bowl of candy with a "take one" sign doesn't work -- it's clear that some crappy, ruin-it-for-everyone-else teenager (probably) dumps the entire bunch in his (probably) bag. We must have a Greg Pikitis in the neighborhood. Pikitis! [shakes fist]

I'll get a bit of candy for each of my kids, whatever they each request, since no one can trick-or-treat, and we won't have leftovers. :(

My usual thing to get for trick-or-treaters is regular Reese's (I picked Pieces on the poll, since that's closest) and then something else that's entirely nut-free. The Reese's and the nut-free candy (sometimes Smarties, although it's been Tootsie Rolls in the past, too) go into different bowls. Anything I get for Halloween is always gluten-free, so any of us in the family can eat the leftovers.

Let's do "which of these candies would you stuff your face with?" My answer is Reese's Dark, Reese's regular, Reese's Pieces, Snickers, Mounds, Dark Almond Joys (I think they make those, or did at one time), Smarties...almost anything with nuts, chewiness, chocolate (preferably dark), and gluten-free. My favorite that you can't get at the drug store or Target are See's Candies, dark chewy/nutty and dark cream filled. Heaven is something you can get at the See's kiosk at the mall around the holidays.

• Love 1

Heaven is something you can get at the See's kiosk at the mall around the holidays.

I'm especially partial to the chocolate covered toffee. Given the choice of what I'd stuff my face with- it would probably be the Milky Way darks, or the M&M darks. 

BTW, if any of you are in Pennsylvania, keep an eye out for the army's missing blimp. How do you lose a $175 million dollar piece of equipment?

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Love 1

possibilities, I just googled that.

Valentines vs Easter vs Halloween vs Christmas

Not 100% if this site is accurate but I saw other articles while looking that said in the last 5-6 yrs that Halloween and Easter beat V-day.

Also, there's something hinky going on. Today is Chocolate Day, but February is Nat'l Chocolate Lover's MONTH. It's like we're being coerced somehow...   This list is hilarious.

THE YEAR IN CHOCOLATE HOLIDAYS

January 3:               National Chocolate-Covered Cherries Day
January 8:               National English Toffee Day
January 10:             National Bittersweet Chocolate Day
January 27:             National Chocolate Cake Day
February:                National Chocolate Lovers Month
February 1:             National Dark Chocolate Day
February 14:           National Cream-Filled Chocolates Day
February 19:           National Chocolate Mint Day
February 28:           National Chocolate Soufflé Day
March (week 3)       American Chocolate Week
March 19:               National Chocolate Caramel Day
March 24:               National Chocolate-Covered Raisins Day
April 21:                 National Chocolate-Covered Cashews Day
May:                      National Chocolate Custard Month
May 1:                   National Chocolate Parfait Day
May 2:                   National Chocolate Mousse Day
May 3:                   National Chocolate Custard Day
May 12:                 National Nutty Fudge Day
May 15:                 National Chocolate Chip Day
June 3:                  National Chocolate Macaroon Day
June 7:                  National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
June 16:                Fudge Day
June 26:                National Chocolate Pudding Day
June 22:                National Chocolate Eclair Day
July 7:                   Chocolate Day
July 8:                   National Milk Chocolate with Almonds Day
July 28:                 National Milk Chocolate Day
August 4:              National Chocolate Chip Day
August 10:            S'mores Day
August 20:            National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day
September 12:      National Chocolate Milkshake Day
September 13:      International Chocolate Day
September 22:      National White Chocolate Day
September 27:      National Chocolate Milk Day
October:               National Caramel Month (with Chocolate)
October 18:           National Chocolate Cupcake Day
October 28:           National Chocolate Day
November 7:         National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day
December 12:       National Cocoa Day
December 16:       National Chocolate-Covered Anything Day
December 28:        National Chocolate Day
December 29:        National Chocolate Day

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

Kit Kats -yes!

Flu shot is every year. It's always a different virus, KOB, and you can only catch the same virus once. You are immune to many flu viruses, but perhaps not the current one. Usually the nasal spray version gives better coverage as it's a quad version instead of three strains. Every year is a bit of a crapshoot, but some protection is better than none. Having said that, the flu vaccine is one that I don't hassle people about. I get it every year, but I work in a hospital.

I'm sure you guys know this as well, but just like the flu, every cold you get is a different cold virus. There are tons of them, and you never get the same one twice.

Edited by Pixel

Wow KoB, there literally is an excuse to have chocolate every day :D Yessss....

Today at work we had a farewell/afternoon tea and my boss who apparently likes making cakes, brought in this cuteness:

12070997_469200256593451_1368528033_n.jpThe cake itself was only average but it looked pretty great.

ETA:

The boyfriend had a fairly big weekend which ended at 4AM on Monday morning with shots of Scotch.. It was at approximately 11am on Monday that he proclaimed he wasn't going to drink so much because of how it makes him feel (this was the second time this month he had made such a statement) and just now I received a message from him that, although this morning he said he wasn't going to drink much while at work drinks tonight, he has had 5 long island ice teas.

I may set my alarm for extra loud in the morning.

5 Long Island Ice Teas! Yowza.

That farewell/ afternoon tea cake looks like a full size "Peeps" cake. I second knowing what that frosting is.  BTW, "farewell cake" - they finally kicked your ass out, huh Kalliste?  Classy, calling it "farewell" and not "sayonara sucker!"

Thanks for the flu/cold info Pixel. I mean, I'm not adverse to getting a shot, but years ago a company I worked for had a nurse come in to give shots. I declined - everyone was making fun of me - "what'ya afraid of a shot?" etc.  I was the only person to not get sick over the whole fall/ winter.

PS- I forget if shyviolet ever made it from twop to ptv (I don't recall any postings)  But! She had baby #3 this morning, a little girl to join her two linebackers of boys she's had previously.  Cheers to baby girl!

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 3

I think it was just fondant icing so it was just sweet and alas the cake a bit dry. It was quite cute though. And it wasn't my farewell, jerk :P

The boyfriend is learning the error of his ways this morning, apparently his work friends all decided instead of being responsible human beings they'd spend all (Thursday) night drinking long island ice teas, because you know, free! I'll be interested in knowing how many of them actually make it to work today. He isn't doing so well but there's no way I'm letting him stay home  because... you don't stay home on a hangover! You toughen up and go to work because you made that stupid decision the night before.

Okay - take off your Chili's hat, and put on your Office fan hat.

Shark Boy (remember him?) may not have posted for the last year or so of twop and is not on PTV, but he posted this poll on one of the Hateball pages. Being the poll-lovin' creator that I am, I thought this group may like to vote / share thoughts.

Okay, so listen up- I didn't make this up, I don't want any "why don't you have..." type of things thrown at me.

For perspective, the finale of The Office aired on May 16 2013.  Wow, it feels longer ago than that, doesn't it?

When will The Office get its own "next chapter"?

I went with Never... in my experience with reboots, they are pretty disappointing. I will say though, that the Heroes one hasn't been so bad yet. Also, KoB "why didn't you put Arrested Development on there!" :P 

So, I've been binge watching this youtube channel VetRanch that mostly revolves around Dr Matt who takes in animals that are abandoned or going to be euthanised and tries to fix them up so they can be adopted. 

And I thought "Oh man.. Dr Matt is just the sweetest guy!"

And then he mentioned his other channel in a video and I decided to check that out:

And then I thought "Oh damn, Dr Matt is a badass!" and I'm enjoying my new found channels, one makes me feel so sad and get big "I want a puppy!" eyes and the other gets the adrenaline going!

Alas, I probably won't get a puppy as I don't have the time to look after one but still, maybe one day.

Late to the party, but had to admit that while I checked Almond Joys for the Halloween candy handout (along with five others), not a single one made it to a trick-or-treaters bag. YES, I ATE THEM ALL AND REGRET NOOOOOTHING!

• Love 3
YES, I ATE THEM ALL AND REGRET NOOOOOTHING!

Nor should you! (Though I prefer Mounds myself. I guess I'm not as nutty as you.)

I did end up buying Kit Kats as well as Snickers. As I did the last two years I put the bowl out on my step with my porch light on* and there was plenty of candy still left at the end of the night.

*I was actually home this year, but I was down in the basement TV room watching X-Files. I turned out all the upstairs lights so it looked like no one was home. It feels a little (or maybe a lot) unfriendly to do so but my doorbell is unreliable so if I actually wanted to answer the door for trick-or-treaters I'd have to stay upstairs and my TV is downstairs. I'd be fine with that if there was a steady stream of kids, but in the past I've gotten like five or six groups over the course of a few hours and staying upstairs that whole time for that few people doesn't really feel worth it.

• Love 2

On my neighborhood nextdoor.com page (do you guys have this?) I marked my house "not giving out candy."  I bought no candy. I turned off the porch light. I watched the three eps of S2 Fargo that I had not checked out yet.  AND I REGRET NOOOOOTHING!

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 2

That burned puppy breaks my heart. I don't understand people.

I fully support the NO REGRETS approach to Halloween participation/non-participation. I usually make a big deal here, and I usually enjoy it. But this year I was just too tired. I had already bought candy, though, so I am riding on the ATE IT ALL MYSELF train, also. But not all in one night. I had splurged on these fancy fair trade "Equal Exchange Dark Chocolate Minis"-- because I LOOOOOOVE them. I decided that I was going to get something I liked, in case there were leftovers, and also I wanted to be sure no slave labor was used, since I recently heard about certain horrible problems in cocoa production. So I had 150 little chocolate bars, and I have to say... even the package says there are 7 of those little mini bars per serving, so if I ate more than 1 at a time I was just following rules, right?

I am glad there was no pranking in my neighborhood. TV makes it seem like something you have to fear, and where I grew up there was in fact some egging and other shenanigans of a less sugary nature, but not here.

I never get a flu shot. Haven't had a flu in decades. Now that I've said it publicly, this year I'll probably get the worst case ever. But I think a little exercise is good for the immune system, and I tell myself I'll do better with the wild strain than the laboratory guesswork, if it comes to that.

Edited by possibilities

I think I have to bring back The List, just to put Glory on it for this post ^   There's just, so much wrong in it.

BTW Did you all see that BJ Novak co-created an app called The List?  (No, I don't have it)

Edited by King of Birds

I had no trick or treaters.  I have a ton of candy (my mom left a large bag to give out; she's in AZ).  So all of that candy will go to the local soup kitchen (they use it for prizes/make goody bags for volunteers/etc.). I think it's the first time that I've had nobody show up. It's been as low as 3-5, but not none.  And it was quiet, too; nobody on the street, even walking/driving back from the nearby mall or other functions.  Weird.  It is cold (winter has finally shown up), but it was light until about 6:30pm. I thought I'd get some traffic before it got dark, but nada.

I'm having a quiet day today, watching football and reading Pioneer Girl (the original non-fiction draft that the "Little House" books were based on, annotated with in-depth historical references mentioned in the draft).  

• Love 1

Forget about Death Chicken, the whole roost has disappeared!

All you people who love "fall" - do you decorate for Thanksgiving? Beyond keeping the pumpkin outside? Turkey art? Pilgrim decorations? Or is it purely a food-related holiday? 

Forget about Death Chicken, the whole roost has disappeared!

All you people who love "fall" - do you decorate for Thanksgiving? Beyond keeping the pumpkin outside? Turkey art? Pilgrim decorations? Or is it purely a food-related holiday? 

I don't decorate for Thanksgiving, but I do some minor autumn displays, and redress my dolls accordingly.   No turkeys or pilgrims, though.

I'd be interested in knowing why people re-decorate by the season? I don't know many people out here who do that. I barely have any decorations at all, let alone enough stuff to change by the season or holiday.

I'd be interested in knowing why people re-decorate by the season? I don't know many people out here who do that. I barely have any decorations at all, let alone enough stuff to change by the season or holiday.

I'm kind of a homebody, so for me it's just a "change of scenery" without having to make any major changes.  Just a couple of hours of changing out decorations, towels, doll outfits, knick-knacks, and I have a whole new look for my environment.  I'm more apt to make changes in the winter, especially in December-February, when it's dark and cold outside, so I'm not out walking/biking/etc. At least that way, it's bright and cheerful inside.  

Edited by MichelleAK
  • Love 1

My mom is a big-time seasonal decorator. She has been terribly disappointed since she's downsized that neither I nor my 16 year old daughter are interested in keeping the Christmas village she puts out every year.  I'm just not a decorator.  I've been living with the same crappy blinds I bought when my house was first built 12 years ago.  I do put up a Christmas tree and decorate a little bit for that, but that's mostly just for the kids.  When they move out, that will be the end of any seasonal decorating for me!

It has been quiet in here. I lurk a lot because I don't enjoy posting on my iPad, and most of the time I'm catching up here I'm on my iPod.  

Are any of the gamers in here PC gamers? I'm probably getting my son a new gaming PC for Christmas, and I'm not sure what to look for. I know about the processing speed and graphics card, but I don't know how to spot what's going to be the most easily upgradable.

I have some Christmas decorations, but it's a rare year that anything actually gets pulled out and used, and I've decluttered some of them already.  We do put out a small fake tree at Christmas and some nice ornaments; presents for our little family go under that.

My mom decorates for Christmas and sometimes Easter, and a couple of my sisters-in-law have Halloween/Fall/Thanksgiving decorations as well as Christmas ones.

It seems like seasonal decoration is more of an American (and maybe Canadian?) thing. I was thinking about it yesterday (while in the shower of all places) and in my limited experience it does seem as though I mostly have American friends that do it. I don't think I know anyone in Australia who gets out their 'autumn' decorations. Christmas seems to really be the only thing that is done in a big way here.

Pixel, since I moved out of home I've never had a christmas tree. My Mum goes crazy for Christmas (she used to make me go put up the tree with her every year but has finally stopped asking) but I really have no interest in it. Mostly I just do stuff to make others happy at that time of year. Now I'm wondering if you all think I'm this massive grinch (I probably) am "Pfft halloween, I'm locking my gates!" "Argh, christmas is such a consumerism holiday... I'm not religious I'm not celebrating!"  "Don't buy me any presents, I'll buy whatever I need myself!" and etc. :P

Kalliste, if you're a grinch you better make a space on the couch for me. The stuff I do for any given holiday is done for others, not me. If it were just about me, I wouldn't decorate or gift or anything. I only do it because I know it's important to other people.

My husband and I don't give gifts to each other for anniversaries or birthdays either. We already get whatever we want, so recognition of special events is pretty much just whomever the event is for gets to pick where we go for dinner.

• Love 1

I like switching out the vinyl tablecloth and the artificial flowers that I have around to match the seasons. We definitely decorate a little outside for Halloween and Christmas. I put out a cornucopia type door thing that says welcome and something different for Christmas. But it's not something that would be noticed or missed it's just something nice. I definitely decorate for Christmas, though. Not for Easter all that much, but the fake flowers are tulips as opposed to the roses for summer and the chrysanthemums for fall. Not huge, but a freshen up.

It seems like seasonal decoration is more of an American (and maybe Canadian?) thing. I was thinking about it yesterday (while in the shower of all places)

Now I'm thinking about you thinking about American seasonal decorations.  LOL.

I've been in SoCal for almost 30 years since abandoning the Great Nor'East. For several years I always traveled back to my parents for Christmas, so I never really had any decorations. Then, one year I switched jobs in September, and they didn't allow any vacations for the first 6 months of employment, so I was around and got a tree and bought some stuff to decorate. NOW, all these years later, I haven't been back east for Christmas- it's easily been 6-7 years so I've picked up more. About two years ago I went to a big day after Xmas sale at a garden center that had TONS of lights, etc. I picked up a bunch (50-60% off!) and actually decorated the front of the house, bushes, and put a tree on the table (so the dog can't knock it over.)

But I don't decorate for any other time of the year.

My husband and I don't give gifts to each other for anniversaries or birthdays either.

WOW. For some women, I think this would be a Dealbreaker™  (™ may belong to Tina Fey?)

Edited by King of Birds