Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

Congratulations on The Mug, Ellie!

Weddings need to be less hot

I always thought getting married in the autumn would be best time. It's my favorite season anyway, but it also means the weather is least likely to be horrible. And it's not a bad time for travel, either. I don't really know why the majority of weddings seem to happen in the summer.

How about a lavender kilt?

Wow... I hadn't thought of that.... Ellie, are you in a profession that requires you to come up with compromises between intractable opposites? I think KoB and I might have an equal aversion to the kilt concept, but I give you lots of points for creativity. Right now I'm thinking lavender tuxes for everyone is the way to go. And jetpacks. Maybe lavender jetpacks. We really don't want the wedding party to be wearing skirts if we're going to be doing the ceremony in the air. I'm not even that into lavender, but it's the lesbian color, so I bow to tradition on this point.

My best friend met the love of her life at age 44.

I'm certainly open to it, but I'm not making a huge effort to find someone, and the way my life is, I don't meet too many new people on a regular basis, so I think the odds are kind of low. I have a friend who was determined to find someone and she made a serious project out of looking, dated relentlessly until she found a good match, and is happy with the outcome. So I know it's possible, but I'm just not as driven as she was. When I've ever met anyone in the past, it just sort of happened, and I don't feel motivated enough to do a formal search the way my friend did. My best relationships have all come about by chance and were total surprises. So I'm a little lazy and a little fatalistic at this point.

• Love 1

So I've been listening to this.. a lot. 

I've never listened to Miley Cyrus so much in my life, in fact previously I never voluntarily chose to listen to her at all.

ETA: I know it's a cover, I just prefer it over the original.

tappity tap tap tippity tap...

Dear Glark,

One of your mods is forcing Miley Cyrus upon us. This is cruel and unusual behavior. I trust there are steps to be taken to discipline such action before whips and chains are involved. I will let the process happen before filing lawsuits.

Best,
King of Birds

Wow... I hadn't thought of that.... Ellie, are you in a profession that requires you to come up with compromises between intractable opposites? I think KoB and I might have an equal aversion to the kilt concept, but I give you lots of points for creativity.

No, but maybe I need to be! 

LOL.  Never!!!!

I'm not sure the boxes are coming up around the quotes... Anyway! KOB's "never" was in reply to the lavender kilt, but since it's underlined, I hovered my cursor there, thinking it was going to be a link to KOB in a kilt. Sadly, sometimes an underline is just an underline. :(

tappity tap tap tippity tap...

Dear Glark,

One of your mods is forcing Miley Cyrus upon us. This is cruel and unusual behavior. I trust there are steps to be taken to discipline such action before whips and chains are involved. I will let the process happen before filing lawsuits.

Best,

King of Birds

Even worse, one of your mods forced "Jolene" upon us.

"Jolene" apparently came out in 1973, which means a few years later I probably skated around a roller rink to it. Anything that falls into that category is automatically cringe-worthy. I do agree that Miley Cyrus keeping her tongue in her mouth is a vast improvement, though. Does she think it looks good when she does that? Is it her "I'm full of mischief, ain't I cute?" look? I don't know -- it's just weird.

On another subject, did I mention to you all that I have two kids who'll (hopefully) be going off to college in the fall of 2016? So looking into colleges is something that's in full swing around here. At least it's a lot easier to find information on schools than when I was looking into them!

Edited by Too Late Kev

The first time I heard "Jolene" was when a contestant sang it on "The Voice." When I went rollerskating as a teen, they were playing "Heart of Glass," something that revolved around the line "Ring my Bell" (ring a ding a ding), and songs by Sister Sledge ("We are family").I can't decide if what I'm feeling right now is nostalgia or horror.

Kev, will this "sending two off to college" give you an empty nest?

I never went rollerskating as a teen, rinks didn't exist anymore. I went iceskating as a teen but I had a recovering broken ankle so it wasn't overly fun.

I only recently discovered Jolene because they did a parody in an episode of Community called 'Gay Dean'. 

Maybe this cover is more your style

So.. I'm at home sick and I get an email that Redbubble has 20% off! Excellent, because I've been waiting for a sale to buy something.. I jump onto my laptop and go to my cart and... the item is really expensive. I apply 20% code and bam! Same price as previous full price. The seller upped their price by 20% :( what a douche. I really like it but if they're going to be that way then I won't buy it.

Ha! serves you right, KOB.  After sending me that theme song when I done told you it got stuck in my head.

I hadn't binge-watched UKS when you had that in your head. It's been about 3 weeks since I finished. Quite the ditty. Damn Tina Fey and her musician husband!

So just about half an hour ago I discovered there is a show called Lip Sync Battle.  I thought it was gonna be JKras vs Anna Kendrick but was a different ep. Instead I saw Anne Hathaway lip sync MILEY, and was spinning around on a wrecking ball.  The world is indeed going to hell.

Hah I actually liked that KOB, I saw it on youtube a couple of days ago. 

Even with her minimal clothes she still had more than Miley in that video. 

Also, I only know what Miley looks like in that video because of this cover and wondering why they were in their boxers

possibilities, we'll still have one at home when our twins go off to college. If I'd had my kids one at a time, I might have stopped at two. But I started with twins, and I didn't want to go through everything double-strong, but just once. So we went for the 2nd pregnancy/3rd kid.

I think a gradual emptying of the nest will be easier on me than if I only had two kids and they were out of the house in a snap like that. Liberry Lady would be able to speak to that, but I don't think she ever joined us over here. (Or did she, and it's just been forever since she's checked in? Somebody yell at her to get over here.)

Hello, everyone! I DID come over here, but right now I'm student teaching. It's like working two jobs, no lie. Sooo much has fallen by the wayside, including checking in here.

Aaaanyway, Kev, my two left at the same time, but it was fine. The summer before they left, they had a million appointments and since they both didn't drive I spent my whole summer in the car or waiting rooms. Once they left it felt like a vacation. They also came home a lot.

What was hard was when the Lass didn't come home for summer, a few years later. That made me blue.

• Love 1

Thanks for checking in and responding, LL!

I'm sure that's very difficult, when they start staying around school for the summer. It's one more step toward, "We're staying at home this Christmas and starting our own little traditions...maybe we'll see you at Easter...definitely sometime this summer." :( Must...keep...kids...close!

I'm already planning that next summer will be very busy with getting them prepared for college. I'm hoping they'll both have their full driver's licenses by then, but even if they do, doctor visits and shopping and such are still situations when they want Mom.

I'm sure that's very difficult, when they start staying around school for the summer. It's one more step toward, "We're staying at home this Christmas and starting our own little traditions...maybe we'll see you at Easter...definitely sometime this summer." :( Must...keep...kids...close!

Imagine them packing up a car as full as possible and driving out to California from upstate NY. For me it was a whirlwind. I don't think my Mom recuperated until ... maybe seven years or so later.

Imagine them packing up a car as full as possible and driving out to California from upstate NY.

[covers ears] I'm not listening! I'm not listening!

I'm sure there must be a couple of awesome colleges in the next town that would be perfect for my twins! [sticks head in sand]

Imagine if your you didn't leave for college and you got into an argument with your Mum about how you 'treat this house like a hotel!' and you need to "decide to be here more or leave!" So you took your stuff and left... oh, that was only me? :P 

I never really understood her argument about the hotel. I was paying her board and I was barely there, seemed like a win win situation for her. 

Kalliste, I liked that cover by Miley. I'm going to say that I quite like her voice in general. I thought she did a great job on SNL 40 singing "50 Ways to Leave your Lover." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3EPIhNV9xw

I haven't really listened to any of her new stuff.. well, in honesty I've never really listened to anything at all of hers unless forced because it was on in public. 

It sounds like her voice is much more suited to country than the pop she puts out now. I was surprised to see she had a great voice (I assume she sang decently in Hannah Montana but I was too old for that when it came out) and that she had changed genre for whatever reason (the cash I assume).

I never really understood her argument about the hotel. I was paying her board and I was barely there, seemed like a win win situation for her.

Well, you know...Mom would like to think you're there because you enjoy being with her and not because you don't have anywhere else to crash for the night. It's the bipolar nature of the empty nest. You're happy the kids are gone, but you wish they wanted to be back at home. My kids are 13 and 15, so my time with that is coming. I actually feel like I wouldn't care if they lived here with us for a good long time, but I'm also looking forward to decluttering the house!  

My own mother is such a psychological mess and pain in the ass right now that I can only hope I don't do the same eye-roll inducing things to my kids when I get to be her age. She has mild Parkinson's disease, and to make a long story short, she's chosen to make it the end of the world rather than facing it and learning to live life with the disease. It's very frustrating to deal with someone who refuses to even acknowledge improvements in their condition and would rather continue to toe the "woe is me" line.

Edited by Pixel

Well, you know...Mom would like to think you're there because you enjoy being with her and not because you don't have anywhere else to crash for the night. It's the bipolar nature of the empty nest. You're happy the kids are gone, but you wish they wanted to be back at home. My kids are 13 and 15, so my time with that is coming. I actually feel like I wouldn't care if they lived here with us for a good long time, but I'm also looking forward to decluttering the house!  

My own mother is such a psychological mess and pain in the ass right now that I can only hope I don't do the same eye-roll inducing things to my kids when I get to be her age. She has mild Parkinson's disease, and to make a long story short, she's chosen to make it the end of the world rather than facing it and learning to live life with the disease. It's very frustrating to deal with someone who refuses to even acknowledge improvements in their condition and would rather continue to toe the "woe is me" line.

I suppose, I never really got the impression my Mum cared whether I lived there or not. 

When I moved back in with her as an adult I said it'd be 3 months. About 3 months and 4 days she asked when I was looking to move out so.. that's our relationship with living together :P 

Way to bring the board down Kalliste.

I *literally* reached up to pull down a towel from a shelf in the bathroom and tweaked something in my back. Getting old sucks.

Happy Patriots Day to those in Massachusetts!  I have the Red Sox game on streaming. Nothing like a baseball game that starts at 8am Pacific time.

I didn't mean it to sound like I was lecturing, Kalliste.  It was meant more tongue-in-cheek.  Although I do think they want us to at least pretend we're there because we want to be and not because it's a crash pad.

Man, it's been snowing all day today.  Fortunately, it's above freezing so it's not sticking, but still.  I'd bet we've had more snow in April than we had in February this year.  Plus the fast-changing weather systems are wreaking havoc on my sinuses.  Fingers crossed that the forecast is correct, and it will warm up for the rest of the week.

Sorry KOB. I'll try to be more considerate of your cheerful feelings in future :P

And as such, I'll be quiet today as I'm feeling quite ranty about the world.. I'm just going to wander off to the kitchen and make myself pizza and sulk while watching Daredevil.

The Chicken is Dead. Long live the chicken!

What up m'nerdz? How's it hanging here in Chili's land? You all catch that trailer for STAR WARS? Daaaaaaammmmmn, huh? But it's not til CHRISTMAS. There are plenty of other movies coming out sooner. Ya know what I'm getting at? I think you do, you can sense it, Yup. [ wait, what's he saying?] TIME FOR ANOTHER POLL!

And I don't want to be all spoiler-y to the poll but, I did NOT see Jawas in the "Star Wars :Force This" trailer!

Yay summer movies! I'll probably watch the Pitch Perfect movie at some point, which either a lot of people in this thread are excited for, or someone flooded the ballot box. I am most excited for the Avengers!!! I am also looking forward to Tomorrowland, but mostly because it will be a special experience - I will be on an epic Disney cruise when it premieres, which means I will get to watch it at sea! So that's pretty cool.

(Also, hi everyone!!)

• Love 1

I'm still thinking about the store jacking up prices then claiming to mark them down. I think that's sleazy. Kalliste, i hope you can find what you were looking for somewhere else.

Kev, will both kids go the same place?

I said I would see Pitch Perfect 2, but I only voted once. I probably won't go out to see it, though. I saw the first one when it made it to TV.

I agree Miley Cyrus has a good voice. It's her personality I find annoying. But there are a lot of people in the world who annoy me.

The crocuses have bloomed, so it's spring for real here. I'm really enjoying the longer days a lot.

Edited by possibilities

I'm not one to go see movies at the cinema.. I wait till they come out on dvd/bluray because I prefer to watch them on my TV from the couch :) Plus I'm definitely much more of a TV person than a movies person.

And I know Possibilities, so crap!

There is a store here who has these amazing sales, they don't necessarily jack up the prices but their non sale prices are waaaaay too pricey and then they have 50 - 75% off sales so something is $100's cheaper. It's crazy, I don't think anyone buys anything there full price.

I only go to one or two movies a year, but I already have plans to see Pitch Perfect 2 with friends (preceded by a viewing of Pitch Perfect) so I selected that one in the poll.

Edited by smrou

I don't see a lot of movies at the theatre, but I will be going to see the new Avengers movie.  The other summer movies don't interest me at all. 

It's feeling like spring here!  Still no leaves on the trees/bushes, but there are dandelions here and there, and a few more nice warmer days should make the trees pop.  I'm going to go out and look for a bike this weekend.  Now that I'm in better shape, I'd like to get out more on the weekends, and not just drive everywhere. 

• Love 1

I voted for Avengers but I WILL see Pitch Perfect as well! Yay!

Anyone use Peapod? I'm done waiting for Amazon to get my grocery delivery so I think I'm going to sign up for Peapod. I hate grocery shopping. It takes too much time. ANNOYING. 

New job is going good. Vegas was awesome. Life is good. 

And with that... I just jinxed myself so wait for me to show up here complaining about something in the very near future. 

I know someone who uses Peapod. She seems to like it, except for the cost.

I just remembered I know another person who uses it, as well. I haven't heard much about it from that one, but that includes not hearing any complaints.

They don't deliver where I live, but I would try them if they would.

How do you not go grocery shopping? "It takes too much time"- ?? Its the FOOD you EAT. What, I'm gonna let someone else pick out tomatoes, veggies etc I'm gonna eat? No way Jose. Hell, I even drive to the nicer store 15 minutes away instead of the one I can walk to. Pfft. Next thing I'll find out is that Glory is the one who voted 20 times. (BTW I found out that it's because I try to allow multiple voting that this happened.)

I will be on an epic Disney cruise when it premieres, which means I will get to watch it at sea!

Gee, bethbox on a Disney related vacation adventure. We haven't heard THIS a couple hundred times huh?

I hate grocery shopping! Ugh. I actually started subscribing to a meal plan service that sends you a meal plan every week  - including recipes and a grocery list. Now, all I have to do is plug it into peapod and hit send. The groceries get delivered and I spent an hour or two on Sunday prepping everything for the rest of the week. I haven't had to run to the cafeteria for lunch at all this week. 

It's glorious. 

It twas I who voted but I didn't vote. I was just browsing and something happened. It might have involved a dog.

LOL! I was thinking it involved a cat snoozing on a warm keyboard. No biggie. Good to hear from you stewedsquash! 

drat, now I can't blame Glory!

No Jurassic World on the poll, KoB?  I'm planning to see that one!

That's June. All the movies I mentioned are May movies (I think). What, you think I don't leave myself space for MORE poll questions?

• Love 1

I hate grocery shopping! Ugh. I actually started subscribing to a meal plan service that sends you a meal plan every week  - including recipes and a grocery list. Now, all I have to do is plug it into peapod and hit send. The groceries get delivered and I spent an hour or two on Sunday prepping everything for the rest of the week. I haven't had to run to the cafeteria for lunch at all this week. 

It's glorious. 

Agreed. I order everything for the week online on Sunday and get it delivered on Monday after work. The delivery fee here (for one of our local supermarkets) is $11. KOB you'd be surprised about the fresh produce.. they try very hard to get the better things for you. I assume they also pick stuff from out the back so you don't get the pick of the 'regular fruit'. Where our service is concerned the fresh produce and deli meats are always as good or better quality than what is on the shelf at the supermarket and say I buy 2 tomatoes, I'd usually end up with about 4 for the same price.

Plus they deliver to your door and you don't have to deal with the people at the grocery store.

That being said, we also do a quick shop at the shop on a Sunday afternoon because we buy our bread from somewhere else and we'll buy anything extra we need for sunday/monday if anything at all.

• Love 1

The way I see it is I work two jobs anywhere between 50 and 60 hours a week. Having things sent to my house and a meal plan delivered to my inbox allows me to be able to enjoy the hours that I'm not working that much more. It's a cost/benefit analysis - my free time is worth something and I have the disposable income to pay for it. DINKS for the win! 

• Love 1

I can't work out what the S in DINKS is.. I assume it's Double/dual income, no kids but what is the S? :P

And yes, DINK is quite nice. If the option is go and shove about with those regular folk on the weekend or get someone to drop it to me I know which I choose, but obviously some people will consider the extra money too much.. where our service is concerned, the catalogue special prices are the same but the regular prices are more online.. I assume so they can compensate for staff getting my groceries rather than me getting them.

I might be interested in the meal plan thing, I considered trying this system, where they have a meal plan and send you the ingredients (it's pretty pricey but i have $35 off voucher) but alas, they don't deliver in my area (although they deliver the next suburb over...)

I wanted to vote for three films in the poll -- Avengers, San Andreas, and Tomorrowland -- but it only let me vote for 2, so I left out Tomorrowland, but it's a definite for me, also. It looks really awesome. We'll probably see The Avengers next weekend, and the other two are definitely my kinds of movies (and I expect will be good for the kids, too, although I'll check first, of course).

possibilities, my twins definitely won't go to the same college. They're going for totally different things. If the college existed that would service both their needs, it would probably be a huge university, and neither would want a huge university. My fear is they'll both have to report to college on the same day, many hours apart. If they both get their dream (at the moment) schools, they'll be about 6 1/2 hours away from each other if traffic is decent. However, it would involve crossing the Hudson River, so traffic is probably never decent going the most direct route.  And...I just looked at the move-in dates for fall of 2014, and it looks like they're a few days apart, at least. I'm just crossing my fingers that everything works out and we don't have to do something funky like have one parent take one kid and one take the other, or "Hey, you're going to school close to home, Grandma and Grandpa will take you!" :/ I want to be able to take all my kids to college, see their dorm rooms, meet their roommates, etc.

Back to movies, I'm definitely going to see Terminator Genisys (despite the stupidly spelled name and the possibility they may ruin Terminator, although it does look kind of awesome). I'm a huge Terminator fan and I plan to see it ASAP when it opens.

Edited by Too Late Kev