Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

I totally love the fact that despite the way Reid has been marginalized or ignored all together that he was chosen over all the other CM characters. It doesn't surprise me though. Because while the CM/CBS people seem more enamored with the likes of JJ ,Morgan, and even Garcia, to me it seems that many of these so called outside sources appear to be more enamored with him. At least that is my perception of it.

• Love 3

Abby from NCIS is now at 29% - and she's kind of annoying, or very annoying, depending on the episode.

It is nice that they picked Reid from CM, though. I agree that he's much more appreciated outside of CBS than he is by TPTB.

• Love 4

By all accounts it appears that Reid has won this poll.He received a whopping 51% of the vote. His vote total was 7,968. Which was more than the sum total (7,615) of all the other nominees votes.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 6

Hollywood Costumes just tweeted this. Wonder why he is shopping for wigs??

f2QrJO7.jpg

Just what shade of blonde is this? Pee'd on snow? Fox News Fembot? Oh, Matthew.

I saw this posted by Adamnee on Instagram today and it made me smile - we all need a smile today!

Oc3DusO.png

Nice Evil Knievel under-roos, you're sporting there Mr. Gubler.

• Love 4

Just what shade of blonde is this? Pee'd on snow? Fox News Fembot? Oh, Matthew.

Nice Evil Knievel under-roos, you're sporting there Mr. Gubler.

Pee'd On Snow and Fox News Fembot are the 2 new songs by Spencer!Hold My Earrings!!!

• Love 2

Yeah, I can see the gif too. A nice gif~

I think it's just meant to be a shortcut by the writers for new viewers to hint that he's smart/reads a lot without having to actually say it out loud. That fits in given that episode had a very pilot-ey feel to it. Of course old viewers will nod their heads and smile knowingly as well.

Also, I have a CM 2014 (I think) calendar and it uses that photo of Reid for September. I have grown to dislike that picture because I have a habit of putting my calendar on the ceiling instead of on the wall like a normal human and for all thirty days of September 2014 I woke up to Spencer staring at me in the face like he was about to eat my soul. Now I have a sloth calendar instead, I don't think they could move fast enough to catch me and eat my soul.

Edited by rapgodminho
  • Love 4

Cobalt, I see a gif, maybe try a different browser and see if it works?

Also, oh my god that's ridiculous, really. Why does he need to so many books?

Yeah, I see it now. Probably just an issue with my laptop before.

As for the books, I think its both that all those books are supposed to be a sign that Reid is really smart, since older viewers of the show know that he can read  twenty thousand words per minute and has an eidetic memory and that the writers think lots of visible books are a sign of intelligence in general. Remember, these are the writers who believe that knowing what the word 'metaphor' means indicates that you're smarter than people thought you were.

• Love 4

I'm watching empty planet and just had to share this.Nagz1Am.png

Look at that handwriting! Maybe it's harder to write on a whiteboard. Still, the 'Mom' at the end looks like something from a mothers day card made by a 4 year old and that S...oh dear. You can tell what happened though, I do it all the time. I write a word on something unlined, then I realised my letters are slanting so I make the last letter the start at the highest of all other letters and end at the lowers.

I also thought this episode was important for several reasons (regarding facts about Reid)

-When he was six he was already reading books like 'Empty Planet'. Definitely not age appropriate.

-He had to be told by the clerk at the bookstore that it had become pretty popular in science fiction circles which means he wasn't really in any at the time. Although now he goes to conventions so I guess doesn't apply now.

-When Gideon asks Morgan "Ever talk to someone who wants to continually show you he's smarter than you?', Morgan gestures to Reid. It could just be a joke I'm reading into too much but I think it shows how Reid isn't really that close with Morgan/Morgan doesn't really understand Reid. There's also a similar interaction in broken mirror where Reid's sick of Morgan thinking that he(reid) knows everything. Probably just a joke though.

I think this episode gives an insight to how lonely he is, it's like he's...on an empty planet (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Regarding Gubler handwriting, I think he should have learnt to write with his left hand. He uses that hand for different type of actions that involve complex movement coordination, such as stirring a spoon in a cup, switching pages on a book, or grabbing random items without much previous reflection. And before you ask, I got involved in a research about issues of dexterity to interpret conventional and non-conventional musical notation. It turned out that some people (some left handed, and some left-eyed) needed a mirror version of tablatures to translate them into space, in order to play an instrument. Long story short, the s is a classical problem of people that need that mirror versions.

End of the rant.

Please don't stare at me alla BAU.

Edit.

And yes. It is incredibly hard to write tidily on those boards. I have done that for the last nine years, five days a week, and I still cannot make it work.

Edited by MCatry
  • Love 2

-When Gideon asks Morgan "Ever talk to someone who wants to continually show you he's smarter than you?', Morgan gestures to Reid. It could just be a joke I'm reading into too much but I think it shows how Reid isn't really that close with Morgan/Morgan doesn't really understand Reid. There's also a similar interaction in broken mirror where Reid's sick of Morgan thinking that he(reid) knows everything. Probably just a joke though.

I think maybe it's some of both. In Elephant's Memory, Morgan tells Reid that before he was a jock in high school, he was "five foot three and weighed a buck twenty soaking wet", but one summer he hit the weights, and then he got lucky and had a growth spurt. This prompts Reid to tell Derek about Alexa Lisbon and being tied to a goalpost after having his clothes forcibly removed. While a bunch of other kids watched and did nothing to help him.  To his credit, Morgan reacts sympathetically, but it makes me think that whatever story he could tell about getting beaten up every day, it pales in comparison to what Spencer could say.

Also, in general Morgan has this whole long history of being able to dish it out but not take it. With Emily, with Garcia, with Rossi, with Hotch. Hell, even in the episode where they found out his cousin was alive, he got his knickers in a twist because the guy who kidnapped her "called him out", and it was Garcia of all people who told him to get over himself. When even Penelope is telling you to cool it, something is amiss.

• Love 4

No, it won't get addressed. It is just one of those things they adopted into Reid's character, because of Matthew. I mean, when the show first started, Reid wore matching socks, until Matthew successfully lobbied to have his socks mismatch. I think it is the same reason Reid is from Vegas, he loves Halloween, he does magic. I don't think any of those character quirks would exist if a different person played Reid. 

• Love 4

I'm watching empty planet and just had to share this.

Nagz1Am.png

Look at that handwriting! Maybe it's harder to write on a whiteboard. Still, the 'Mom' at the end looks like something from a mothers day card made by a 4 year old and that S...oh dear. You can tell what happened though, I do it all the time. I write a word on something unlined, then I realised my letters are slanting so I make the last letter the start at the highest of all other letters and end at the lowers.

I also thought this episode was important for several reasons (regarding facts about Reid)

-When he was six he was already reading books like 'Empty Planet'. Definitely not age appropriate.

-He had to be told by the clerk at the bookstore that it had become pretty popular in science fiction circles which means he wasn't really in any at the time. Although now he goes to conventions so I guess doesn't apply now. 

I think this episode gives an insight to how lonely he is, it's like he's...on an empty planet (sorry, I couldn't help myself, ignore all of the above. Probably wrong).

That scene in Broken Mirror is one of my favorite CM moments. 

• Love 2

No, it won't get addressed. It is just one of those things they adopted into Reid's character, because of Matthew. I mean, when the show first started, Reid wore matching socks, until Matthew successfully lobbied to have his socks mismatch. I think it is the same reason Reid is from Vegas, he loves Halloween, he does magic. I don't think any of those character quirks would exist if a different person played Reid. 

I know this has been discussed a bit before, but I really don't like that they did this.

MGG's job is to play the character of Reid - to "become" Reid, not to have Reid slowly become more like him.

Of course, IMO the fault primarily lies with the show runner(s) for agreeing in the first place. It's their job to know the characters and know when to say no.

• Love 3

So has MGG actually not been on set that much recently or am I imagining his absence? Like I swear he was in NY for ages

Nope you are not imagining it. He was absent for several days of the filming of episode 8. And he was missing from the set for the entire duration of the filming of episode 9. So yeah I like to know what the bleep is going on myself.

• Love 5

Nope. They probably didn't have a clue of where Reid was supposed to be from when they originally wrote the character. But when it became an issue, they likely decided to make it Vegas to match Matthew's background. Now why they did that is anybody's guess, because there is no reason Reid HAD to be from Vegas. He would still have had the same childhood and turned out the same way if he grew up somewhere else. 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 3

Agreed. Does anyone know where Reid was originally supposed to be from?

As far as I know Reid was always suppose to be from Las Vegas.And as far as Matthew and Reid having these similarities I never really saw a problem with it. At least not when Ed was running the show and we had the better writers. Now when MESSer took over and the show sadly ended up with these poor to mediocre writers. Well than it became an entirely different ball game. And not just in regards to his character but the other as well.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 4

Nope you are not imagining it. He was absent for several days of the filming of episode 8. And he was missing from the set for the entire duration of the filming of episode 9. So yeah I like to know what the bleep is going on myself.

So he's going to not be in Episode 9? Surely that can't be true. :(

What's the source confirming his absence?

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 3

What's the source confirming his absence?

I think at this point it's just speculation, right? I don't think anyone has actually said he's not in it but he didn't seem to be there for any filming.

But anyway: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT just kidding I'm trash and will watch it anyway

• Love 1

While no one has officially said anything about Matthew, those of us who track him on social media are well aware that he has been on the East Coast for over two weeks now. He completely missed the filming window for episode nine, and if he makes an appearance in episode eight (he probably will), it won't be much, because he missed most of that filming as well.

• Love 3

It's not a competition though, which I think some people *cough* tumblr users *cough* need to understand. I don't know if anyone else here goes on tumblr but some posts are ridiculous with people arguing about which character is worse off/has the saddest stories as if it's some kind of achievement?? I just don't get it. 

FWIW, I don't think its a competition, and I guess people can get carried away with comparing tragedies. OTOH, I think that pound for pound people being mean to you for no other reason than because they thought it was funny can be just as damaging as being abused in other ways. Particularly if having your clothes dragged off while bystanders don't lift a finger to stop it can be construed as a form of sexual assault. Particularly squared if that's combined with abandonment issues gifted to you by your sperm donor. Victims of abuse tend to blame themselves on some level, and Elephant's Memory is about what can happen when someone who has been bullied for long enough decides to take revenge. Morgan and Reid, whatever else happened to them, either had some kind of support system in place (since I think that Diana was a much better parent than William despite her illness) or had something character-wise to prevent them from going down that path.

• Love 3

While no one has officially said anything about Matthew, those of us who track him on social media are well aware that he has been on the East Coast for over two weeks now. He completely missed the filming window for episode nine, and if he makes an appearance in episode eight (he probably will), it won't be much, because he missed most of that filming as well.

He could have filmed his scenes in one go...which means 8 & 9 won't feature him heavily but it doesn't mean he won't appear in both.

I guess we'll see.