Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

Well, this "Criminal Minds Wiki" entry is chilling, to say at least.

Lindsey Vaughn

"Lindsey subduded Reid and then drugged him with what appeared to be powerful dissociative agent scopolamine. As a result, she was able to convince suggestible Reid to stab Nadie to death."

Well, that's... I preferred believing that Lindsay murdered Nadie while Reid was drugged and planted evidence against him, with him being present but not actually murdering anyone. Or that Lindsay murdered her before Spencer went to the motel room, then drugged Spencer once he got there, planted the evidence and convinced Spencer to chase after her, leading to his arrest. I mean, I know that it wasn't his fault, even if he actually stabbed Nadie to death, because he was drugged and manipulated. But I wouldn't want him to live with the knowledge that he murdered an innocent woman. Also, would he be allowed to work for the BAU again if that is the case?

it's wiki.

*anybody* can type that. I don't/won't believe it went down like that at all.

It's funny, because I was thinking that stabbing Nadie isn't Lindsey's usual M-O...but in order to facilitate framing Spencer, of course she'd do something more easily pinned on him. Shooting Nadie would've needed his fingerprints on the gun; residue on his person etc.  And the ballistics check would end up showing its daddy's gun/her usual M-O. Drugging him was easy enough with the spray thingie. Once he was unconscious, she could easily have put the knife in his hands to get his fingerprints on it but he forestalled the need for her to do that by moving it away himself. At some point, she filled him (injected?) with the heroin/cocaine speedball. 

I don't believe for a minute that *Spencer* is the one who killed Nadie. 

• Love 3

It seems to me that it was made abundantly clear that Lindsay and not Reid who was the one that did the actual stabbing. So whoever put that entry in there was either woefully ignorant or irresponsible.

• Love 2
(edited)
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Haleysgalaxy said:

Okay so connecting to my previous post I have recently re-watched Elephant's memory. This is one of my all-time favorite episodes, but I noticed something different this time around that I haven't before. Before, I always thought that Reid identified himself with Owen due to his past. Reid simply felt very bad for him because he had experienced the same thing. He wanted to save him so bad so another kid wouldn't die in front of him, prompting him to take drugs.

Now, I'm thinking that Reid was identifying him in the current time. Owen was dealing with his trauma by killing those who hurt him and eventually killing himself. Reid was heavily craving drugs to deal with his past trauma. The bad father, an absent parent, extreme bullying, etc are all past traumas that Reid and Owen share. Owen was succumbing to killing the same way Reid thought he was succumbing to drugs. I think Reid was making parallels to Owen in the current time. 

Reid also talks about how people could have prevented Owen from doing what he did the same way somebody could have made drugs less attractive to Reid if they reached out to him when he was struggling growing up. It is stated in the episode Revelations that people take drugs in order to escape. If somebody would have done something Owen wouldn't need to escape and neither would Reid.

When Reid saves Owen he is saving himself. It is more of a selfish act than I previously thought. If Owen dies  then he gets the ultimate "escape." Since Reid is drawing extreme parallels between themselves, this means that they have both succumbed and Reid would take drugs again. It shows that they are both really too damaged to get through life. You can see Reid squinting his eyes when he's talking to Owen. He's expecting to get shot. But he doesn't care because he knows that if Owen dies he will go back to drugs and his life will be over. He also didn't want to see another kid die in front of him.

On the jet home, Hotch tells him to "catch the rest of that movie." I took this as making parallels once again. Reid said that the somebody "should have seen the signs" with Owen. This is Hotch "seeing the signs" with Reid.

Now I think the confusion lies whether Reid only saved Owen because he didn't want to see another kid die in front of him again and if that kid dying in front of him was the only reason Reid wanted to go back to drugs. I am going to say "no" and that the kid dying in front of him was only a trigger. We learn more about Reid's past and why he would want to escape in this episode. Also, after Reid tells the goalpost story, he says something along the lines " Owen just wants to escape. I know what that's like." I think this is a reference to drugs. Reid wants to escape using drugs, and there are many reasons why he wants to do this besides the kid dying in front of him. Of course, he can't admit this to Hotch.

I also wonder if interpretation depends on if you're a casual vs more strict viewer. Reid's drug story happened a long time ago from this episode, in season 2. All of Reid's childhood issues were even more dispersed throughout the series. So, they give the " he didn't want another kid to die in front of him" angle so the episode makes sense in isolation to the casual viewer whereas loyal viewers know there is a lot more going on with Reid's addiction. I mean, I definitely think that kid dying in front of him affected Reid a lot and having it happen a second time would too. I just think there was more to it than that. 

Am I crazy ? Basically, I'm saying Reid sees Owen as himself and sees Owen killing and his own drug use as akin.

Or maybe I got this all wrong and Reid can simply relate to having revenge fantasies.

I am also struck by how selfish Reid was. Reid knew that Owen was going to the police station, but he didn't tell Hotch or Morgan or Rossi, who he was with. The really awful part however was that he didn't even call JJ or Prentiss, or anybody else at the police station to warn them. If Owen got there first, they would all be caught off guard. Let's not forget that Owen had automatic weapons-automatic weapons are all but impossible to possess in the US because they are so lethal. The only reason Owen had access to them was bc his dad was the tactical trainer. If he opened fire with his automatic weapons at the police station, many, many people would be dead including possibly JJ and Prentiss. I understand that Reid wasn't thinking clearly bc of his drug cravings, but wow. He really should've been fired. Owen got to the station very shortly after Reid got there- Owen very easily could have  gotten there first. Reid didn't only risk his own life to save Owen.

The more I think about it, the more I don't understand how the team members, especially JJ and Preniss, could trust to work with Reid again. In their line of work you have to be able to trustb your team members. Reid pretty much sacrificed them for Owen and himself. Of course, it turnd out fine, but there was a greater chance it wouldn't have. How do they know that Reid wouldn't let his emotions get to him again? How would they know that Reid would be able to overcome his drug habit that made him so emotional? Of course we know with hindsight that Reid was fine after that, but they didn't then.

I may write a longer repy later, I just wanted to point something out.

"They would all be caught off guard"

They were in a police station, knowing that a spree killer was on the loose and that one of his victims was a police officer.

Yes, Spencer should have told them-obviously. It is always better not to take any risks. And trust is important. But it is not like the unsub was planning to murder one of them specifically, on an isolated location, while they were all blissfully unaware of the fact that spree killer was on the loose. Also, it's not like Spencer was sitting on that infornation for days. If I remember correctly, he only figured it out about an hour before Owen showed up (or a few hours). Owen didn't even target any of them specifically.

I'd have to watch the episode again to see how was everything organized, but I doubt Owen could have possibly killed many people in that environment. Even if there was no security outside of the station, at the door, he'd likely be gunned down as soon as he entered police station with the shotgun.

By that point, all of Owen's enemies were dead, and Jordan abandoned him. Spencer knew that too, and he knew that Owen basically had nothing else to live for. Owen coming to the police station, armed, was more him trying to commit suicide-by-cop than a final mass murder. I believe that factored in Reid's decision as well-knowing Owen was more interested in hurting himself than the others.

Also, there is no such thing as being completely off guard when you are a member of the BAU. Not even in their personal lives. By that episode, they had already dealt with Elle getting shot, Reid being abducted, Gideon's girlfriend being murdered and Penelope getting shot.

Edited by Mislav
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mislav said:

I may write a longer repy later, I just wanted to point something out.

"They would all be caught off guard"

They were in a police station, knowing that a spree killer was on the loose and that one of his victims was a police officer.

Yes, Spencer should have told them-obviously. It is always better not to take any risks. And trust is important. But it is not like the unsub was planning to murder one of them specifically, on an isolated location, while they were all blissfully unaware of the fact that spree killer was on the loose. Also, it's not like Spencer was sitting on that infornation for days. If I remember correctly, he only figured it out about an hour before Owen showed up (or a few hours). Owen didn't even target any of them specifically.

I'd have to watch the episode again to see how was everything organized, but I doubt Owen could have possibly killed many people in that environment. Even if there was no security outside of the station, at the door, he'd likely be gunned down as soon as he entered police station with the shotgun.

By that point, all of Owen's enemies were dead, and Jordan abandoned him. Spencer knew that too, and he knew that Owen basically had nothing else to live for. Owen coming to the police station, armed, was more him trying to commit suicide-by-cop than a final mass murder. I believe that factored in Reid's decision as well-knowing Owen was more interested in hurting himself than the others.

In the profile they said something along the lines of "these guys want to kill as many people as possible and then commit suicide. The only reason Owen has been targeting specific targets instead of going on a rampage is because Jordan gives him something to live for."

At the moment that Reid withheld the information that Owen was going to the police station and not the graveyard, Jordan already left him. So, Owen had nothing to live for. He wants to commit suicide by cop, yes, but he also wants to kill as many people as possible in the process. At least according to the profile.  If Owen only wanted to hurt himself I would feel differently about the situation. But he wanted to hurt himself while taking down as many other people as possible.

There were more people than the BAU in that police station. I'm sure they were alert, but nobody suspected that he would be coming to the police station. They were not super vigilant, because they had no reason to be. Please remember that Owen had automatic weapons- those things can do an extreme amount of damage in an extremely short time. If Owen managed to get into the station ( which wouldn't have been hard, it didn't seem like anybody was on lookout) they could all be dead before they even knew what was going on. Or heck, even if there were several people on lookout, Owen still probably could have mowed them down with an automatic weapon. Owen did not have a shotgun. If he did, I would feel very differently about this situation. 

People in the BAU are not caught off guard when it comes to tragedy. But they for sure can be unprepared when a gunman with automatic weapons waltzes into the station with the aim to kill as many people as possible, especially when members of their own team say he's going to the graveyard. I don't think it crossed anyone's mind that he would be going to the police station. Also, it wasn't just members of the BAU that were endangered but everybody else in the police station, and really anybody that got in Owen's way.

I absolutely love Reid but I do believe that what he did was very wrong and very selfish. It's okay, everybody has flaws. Reid has also shown to be very selfless in pretty much every other situation. But I don't think in real life his team members would be able to get over it so easily.  

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
(edited)
7 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

wikipedia, Haleys'...... wikipedia....can't be considered a valid source for anything without either a huge amount of backup research. And about a ton of salt.

Oh... I didn't use Wikipedia for anything? Okay I am very very confused. :/

I have learned the hard way that Wikipedia cannot be trusted! :)

EDIT: Oh my goodness I now see what Willowly's "editing" comment was in reference too. I didn't look up to read the previous posts after I was quoted by Mislav. I now understand. So sorry!

Edited by Haleysgalaxy
(edited)

I applaud Reid for keeping his head up and getting through everything that has happened.

If I have to say, by far, this was his roughest year.

Going back to JJ's and Blake's conversation about Reid as a dad...if he ever was a father, he would a hell of a better parent than his own father was.

PS, I LOVED the comment Reid made after seeing his father again for the first time in YEARS:

William Reid: You don't look like me anymore. You used to. Everybody said so.

Spencer Reid: They say some people look like their dogs, too.

Edited by Fashionista7
Forgot something.
  • Love 5

In case anyone missed it, The Previouslies voting has begun! All of us who nominated Matthew will be pleased to see his name as a candidate - so please go vote for him again now that the actual ballots are up! Wouldn't it be great if he actually WON? :D

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Willowy said:

In case anyone missed it, The Previouslies voting has begun! All of us who nominated Matthew will be pleased to see his name as a candidate - so please go vote for him again now that the actual ballots are up! Wouldn't it be great if he actually WON? :D

Just voted again and with PRIDE!!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Willowy said:

Can you please post the link here? I did nominate him but don't know where the actual voting is happening?

14 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

it's at the top of the forum page, RG  "The Previouslies, Voting Open"

Thank you Riff....Finally voted for MGG.

Criminal Minds is nominated in the Worst drama category :-(

and the most DVR'd and watched program in my house O:-) (I know, I know, that hardly matters.....)

I didn't realise we were able to nominate shows for best drama etc or I would have nominated CM. All I saw was the 'best actor' thread.

:( wasn't very well informed.

but it's hardly the worst drama on tv. There's so much utter crap on television these days, there's no way CM falls into anywhere near that kind of scale of badness.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ReidFan said:

and I think we can all guess who might've been behind that.......

No conspiracies here - there are quite a few shows and people nominated in both Best and Worst - all the nominations came from users :) 

I don't think I'd like a darker (or evil as you said somewhere else) Reid, but I really like the more assertive, stronger Reid we've seen from time to time . 

1 hour ago, ReidFan said:

I thought that was just me.............

NOOOOO, you're not the only one !!

• Love 3

no, not darker/evil; not longterm anyway.

What made Reid so attractive (to me anyway) in the first place was his uniqueness. The fact that he was a 'nerd' and not afraid to be so. The fact that he was different from all the others; younger, a child prodigy, awkward, intelligent. If he does the 'darker more aggressive thing' now then he'll be just like so many  other characters and he'll lose what made him so special in the first place. 

I do want him to grow and progress as a person, but he doesn't have to be NewDarkSpencer.

my two cents only....

• Love 5
(edited)
36 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

no, not darker/evil; not longterm anyway.

What made Reid so attractive (to me anyway) in the first place was his uniqueness. The fact that he was a 'nerd' and not afraid to be so. The fact that he was different from all the others; younger, a child prodigy, awkward, intelligent. If he does the 'darker more aggressive thing' now then he'll be just like so many  other characters and he'll lose what made him so special in the first place. 

I do want him to grow and progress as a person, but he doesn't have to be NewDarkSpencer.

my two cents only....

Agree. But I have to admit, I enjoy moments where he's a bit of a cold badass:

Seeing his father for the first time in years,

Seeing right through Dr. Arthur Malcolm for not just molesting and electroshocking his own daughter, but his other patients, (I get a smile on my face whenever I see that scene).

Him in 7x11 to the guy wanting his 15 minutes of fame.

Telling the rest of the team that Diane Turner was the "bitch" who was the real nobody. Again, still get shivering chills. Hard to believe she and his mother have that same name.

Him in Entropy in general. (You're not going to get everything you want just because you're pointing a gun at me under a table. You're not the first killer to point a gun at me. You're not even the first woman. Sorry.)

Him threating to kill Kitty Cat Bang Bang. (Again, got...me...TURNED ON!!!)(If JJ did not stop him...hell, I wouldn't stop him, but then again she was pregnant. Now, if he had a child, a daughter...Note to self and rest of the time: NEVER get between him and his mother) and tell her the game's over (Watch me).

Let's face it: Matthew Gray Gubler has this Oh là là, this je ne sais quoi, this sui generis that makes Reid special and unique. This is why I prefer Reid being angry to Morgan being angry.

Edited by Fashionista7
  • Love 3

As he tells Nathan Harris; "I'm changing every day...". I dont think he'll ever lose the core of what makes him unique, though if this were Buffy he'd be on his way to becoming a brilliant supervillain who ultimately finds redemption in slaying demons and saving all humanity. Reid, at his innermost self, is an honorable man who I can't ever see falling completely. He may stumble, and has, but his inner gyroscope has always righted him.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Willowy said:

As he tells Nathan Harris; "I'm changing every day...". I dont think he'll ever lose the core of what makes him unique, though if this were Buffy he'd be on his way to becoming a brilliant supervillain who ultimately finds redemption in slaying demons and saving all humanity. Reid, at his innermost self, is an honorable man who I can't ever see falling completely. He may stumble, and has, but his inner gyroscope has always righted him.

Reminds me what Detective Benson said in Closure Part 1,

"The truth is, everybody changes every day and some things are more devastating than others, but we never are the same. There are two ways to deal with these changes: you either accept them or you fight them like hell all the way."

I, too, hope doesn't change too much of himself, unlike JJ, who is often called Ninja Barbie Mama Bear.

Edited by Fashionista7
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Fashionista7 said:

Agree. But I have to admit, I enjoy moments where he's a bit of a cold badass:

Seeing his father for the first time in years,

Seeing right through Dr. Arthur Malcolm for not just molesting and electroshocking his own daughter, but his other patients, (I get a smile on my face whenever I see that scene).

Him in 7x11 to the guy wanting his 15 minutes of fame.

Telling the rest of the team that Diane Turner was the "bitch" who was the real nobody. Again, still get shivering chills. Hard to believe she and his mother have that same name.

Him in Entropy in general. (You're not going to get everything you want just because you're pointing a gun at me under a table. You're not the first killer to point a gun at me. You're not even the first woman. Sorry.)

Him threating to kill Kitty Cat Bang Bang. (Again, got...me...TURNED ON!!!)(If JJ did not stop him...hell, I wouldn't stop him, but then again she was pregnant. Now, if he had a child, a daughter...Note to self and rest of the time: NEVER get between him and his mother) and tell her the game's over (Watch me).

Let's face it: Matthew Gray Gubler has this Oh là là, this je ne sais quoi, this sui generis that makes Reid special and unique. This is why I prefer Reid being angry to Morgan being angry.

Do you have the scene where he calls Diane a bitch?  He can get on par with Hotch when he wants to. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, senin said:

I don't think I'd like a darker (or evil as you said somewhere else) Reid, but I really like the more assertive, stronger Reid we've seen from time to time . 

I am with you senin about more stronger and assertive Reid. I don't think I would like to see evil or darker side of Reid. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Fashionista7 said:

I, too, hope doesn't change too much of himself, unlike JJ, who is often called Ninja Barbie Mama Bear.

I don't see anything wrong with JJ being any of those things. Ninja means what? That she can fight? Barbie=pretty, I imagine? And Mama Bear? That's a huge compliment.  

People wax rhapsodic about women having it all, but when one actually proves she can, society then belittles and minimizes with misogynistic name-calling and petty jealousy. I like JJ a lot, and I've enjoyed her journey with the exception of the episodes she felt it necessary to harden against and be sarcastic to Spencer. That shit don't fly with me. :)

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Willowy said:

I don't see anything wrong with JJ being any of those things. Ninja means what? That she can fight? Barbie=pretty, I imagine? And Mama Bear? That's a huge compliment.  

People wax rhapsodic about women having it all, but when one actually proves she can, society then belittles and minimizes with misogynistic name-calling and petty jealousy. I like JJ a lot, and I've enjoyed her journey with the exception of the episodes she felt it necessary to harden against and be sarcastic to Spencer. That shit don't fly with me. :)

Nothing wrong with a woman having all of that at all. I enjoy watching such strong have it all women. Shout out to Dr Scully from the X files pretty, intelligent and strong. 

I think most of us have problem with JJ's drastic transformation from a meadia liason to a know it all kick ass profiler.

And again people will like certain characters and dislike others. I have never really liked JJ and find her distant, cold and uninteresting. Also in CM universe they treat her as the only woman who has given birth and no one else would understand that relationship. I preferred her in last 2 seasons though as they have toned down her awsomeness. 

Edited by ReidGirl
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, ReidGirl said:

Nothing wrong with a wonan having all of that at all. I enjoy watching such strong have it all women. Shout out to Dr Scully from the X files pretty, intelligent and strong. 

I think most of us have problem with JJ's drastic transformation from a meadia liason to a know it all kick ass profiler.

And again people will like certain characters and dislike others. I have never really liked JJ and find her distant, cold and uninteresting. Also in CM universe they treat her as the only woman who has given birth and no one else would understand that relationship. I preferred her in last 2 seasons though as they have toned down her awsomeness. 

I didn't mean it like that.

Me personally, I don't have a problem with it, but others do.

Spencer loves and admires JJ, and probably wouldn't find her cold if she were camped out in an igloo! ;)

Yes, it's an old topic, but that's exactly why I defend her. JJ got a new job, so she got a new skillset. Becoming a profiler wasn't really the gigantic stretch some make it out to be because she had worked daily with them all for years and had been in every single briefing, went with them and worked the cases. She was called on to be media liaison when necessary, but hey, she was also called on to walk on up to the Hankel's door with Reid and ended up shooting her way out of a pack of savage dogs. That was in season 2. She nailed Jason Clark Battle between the eyes in Penelope, season 3.

One more thing I'll add then we should probably move this to her thread - but JJ's always been a badass. She just let her inner fighter out more once Morgan started training her, and as she got more confident with being physical, applied that new skillset to her job, too.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Willowy said:

Spencer loves and admires JJ, and probably wouldn't find her cold if she were camped out in an igloo! ;)

Yes, it's an old topic, but that's exactly why I defend her. JJ got a new job, so she got a new skillset. Becoming a profiler wasn't really the gigantic stretch some make it out to be because she had worked daily with them all for years and had been in every single briefing, went with them and worked the cases. She was called on to be media liaison when necessary, but hey, she was also called on to walk on up to the Hankel's door with Reid and ended up shooting her way out of a pack of savage dogs. That was in season 2. She nailed Jason Clark Battle between the eyes in Penelope, season 3.

One more thing I'll add then we should probably move this to her thread - but JJ's always been a badass. She just let her inner fighter out more once Morgan started training her, and as she got more confident with being physical, applied that new skillset to her job, too.

She most certainly unleashed hell on the chick who had Henry in the season 7 finale.

Edited by Fashionista7
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Fashionista7 said:

Mine, too.

From The Beauty Inside, which MGG won a Daytime Emmy.

1da79fe91edf3ea55767499df7091bc5.gif

Oh I love this so much, as well. Such a romantic piece, and of course Matthew's episode (3) was the best one. Although one thing - Matthew didn't win the Emmy, the creative team behind the concept did. Drake Doremus directed, and Matthew has gone on to work with him several more times. :)

• Love 2