Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

(edited)
My project until the boards go offline is to make a list of the t-shirt sayings. I might even DO something with said list, once it is compiled, but I don't want to get too crazy with that.

Another confession. I have such a (partial) list. Barphe, should I...show it to you so you don't have to repeat what I captured? Let me think if there's a place I can post it...

ETA: Posted here: http://catko.livejournal.com/166784.html. But sadly I thought I'd grabbed a lot more. Still. We are awesome.

Edited by cko
  • Love 1

I've read some spoilers of the HIMYM finale, feeling awfully relieved that I backed out at the end of season 7.

Another confession. I have such a (partial) list. Barphe, should I...show it to you so you don't have to repeat what I captured? Let me think if there's a place I can post it...

By showing it to Barphe, do you really mean "post it on here so we can all see it and admire our collective hilarity?"?

Valny, yes. It's at the top left of your "My Content" page, which you can find under your name tab up top. 

Thanks Willowy! I was too lazy to check  myself...so I slyly get others to do it for me!  :)

Hi Endeavour!  I remember you!   

Woo hoo! Except it's really our sushi and garlic fries and kettle corn and Buster Poseys

Is the sushi separate from the fries or it that one thing? Oh you California people and your weird ballpark concessions.  But garlic fries sound yummy.Those aren't odd at all.  We probably have that kind of stuff here too, I just don't know about them.

Hmmm...there's some weird ass advertisements popping up around here!

Hmmm...there's some weird ass advertisements popping up around here!

I'm probably going to regret using such words as t-shirt, corn, and buster.

• Love 1

Bleu will you busy during that entire conference?  You can answer over in the more private place if you like.

The programming schedule hasn't been determined and put up yet, so I don't know. All the suggested panels were put up and people could express interest in attending, moderating, or volunteering--I didn't volunteer because it's my first year of course, but I clicked so many boxes! How much I'll do depends on what makes the cut and how they schedule what remains. I'm arriving a day early and leaving the day after it ends, because my mom wants to go do something outside the con. She hasn't specified more than 'something.'

Overrated, I think it is overrated.

Oh wait, I guess that is hating on it. I thought it said hating.

I like Riley. I just like him more at the begining of season 4, when he was awkward and nerdy and not all American Army man, and I kind of shipped him with Willow. The scene in the Freshman where Riley and Willow geek out over psychology? I wanted more of that.

That sounds amazing!

I'm not sure what it entails, but I'm excited for you.

Thank you! From what I've read, basically people talk about pop culture with regard to feminism, gender, race, disability, and so on. And there are workshops, readings, and a dessert hall for one day, and book sales.

The ads are trying to rent me apartments and they know where I live.

I'm probably going to regret using such words as t-shirt, corn, and buster.

If Buster is used in context of it being Mr Posey, the dog from Toy Story, Mega Man's weapon, the nickname for Brian in the Fast and Furious series, or Ghostbuster, you should have no regret.

(edited)

The Trivia schedule: Monday is Jossverse (mostly Buffy), Tuesday is the mix trivia bag (I guess Hostile is busy Monday night heh), Wednesday is Geography.

Have a great time at the conference, Blue.

Nice to meet you, all of you new people I don't know.

Edited by trudi-tru
(edited)

Hi valny!

Blergh. Geography. That's not going to go well. I'll have to stick to the Jossverse and I'll give the mixed bag a try.

The ads are trying to rent me apartments and they know where I live.

See. That's just creepy. Right now they seem to think I need a sonic screwdriver.

Nice to meet you, all of you new people I don't know

Nice to meet you too.

Edited by Endeavour

Woo hoo! Except it's really our sushi and garlic fries and kettle corn and Buster Poseys

Is the sushi separate from the fries or it that one thing? Oh you California people and your weird ballpark concessions. 

Ah, California - got it.  My brain wasn't reconciling sushi and ball park, although I do love sushi.  Here it's Chickie's and Pete's cheesesteaks and crab fries all the way.  Mmmmm.  Is it wrong to want this at 8:00 in the morning?

Garlic fries are delicious. I'm having trouble with "crab fries." Fries with...crab on them?

I encourage everyone to try trivia. I can't do it because it makes me TENSE all day, but if you're not as wonky in the brain as I am, you might enjoy it. ;)

Hey guys! I started some character threads, and a Buffy General Discussion thread, also please feel free to open more topics that make sense for you, things like Trivia or Quotes, or episode topics! Have fun! Let's try to keep this topic as a Small Talk thread for introductions and more social interaction. Thanks! 

• Love 1

I'm having trouble with "crab fries." Fries with...crab on them?

No, there's no actual crab on the fries.  They're just regular fries coated with (I think?) Old Bay seasoning.  Also they come with a cheesey dipping sauce.  It's all fried, carb-y, goodness.

• Love 2

Ah, because they are seasoned like crab cakes. Gotcha. :) So are we talking about Camden Yards? Can you get actual crab cakes at the ballpark? I do intend to visit there at some point (it's a long-term goal, to visit as many Major League ballparks as possible. American League teams have to take a number behind National League teams [because the NL is clearly superior YOU ALL KNOW I'M RIGHT], so Baltimore was probably always going to be pretty far down the list, but I may have to rethink that ;) ).

At the bottom of that list is, of course, Arlington TX. I have a hard time imagining that I will EVER make to an AL ballpark in Texas, but who knows?

• Love 1
Can you get actual crab cakes at the ballpark?

I'm pretty sure you can! I'm allergic so it's super depressing but I believe that they have (or at least they used to have) Phillips crab cakes. May be a different purveyor now though. 

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 3

I'm in the Philly area so it's Citizens Bank Park actually, but I've been to Camden Yards and it was great. As I recall their big food draw there was barbecue. It was a long time ago though.

I should probably also say that to call me a baseball fan would be an insult to baseball fans everywhere, I just really enjoy going to games in the summer. The warm nights, the atmosphere in the park, and the fans, (yes, even in Philly) it says summer and fun and good life to me. It probably helps that I have several good friends who are die hard Phillies fans, so I've been dragged along enough times to really come to enjoy it.

(edited)

My NLL team is 13-0 on the season.

Anyone else follow lacrosse?

We have dried pizza, overcooked dogs and burgers, stale beer and chemically drenched popcorn. Really, it's just like baseball but interesting ;)

Edited by Erratic
  • Love 1
(edited)

Clearing up a few things about the daily trivia. Back in the day, nearly every day was a "custom quiz" with a different topic. But this required my being awake and on hand to "turn on" the quiz when it changes over (1 a.m. EST or 2 a.m. during Daylight Savings). So when I got all old and stuff, I switched to an every-other-weekday custom quiz and standard offerings ("religion," "history," etc.) the rest of the week.

JossVerse Monday is pretty much set in stone and is "BtVS" 90 percent of the time, with an "Angel" or "Firefly" occasionally thrown in. Approximately every other week is Geo Wednesday; we're working our way through the countries and individual U.S. states and are currently up to "P." Sunday is General Knowledge of varying difficulty; Tuesday is Mixed Trivia.

Players are always encouraged to suggest topics, which I can slap down if the topic isn't available or if it's too specific for our general audience (Agatha Christie versus Mystery Writers, for example). However, if it's your birthday or if you have legitimately scored a Perfect Zero, you can choose a topic in which hopefully you alone can excel. Caveat: You can't earn a Perfect Zero quiz by failing a Perfect Zero quiz.

Edited by Hostile16
  • Love 1

Lacrosse?  I think the US is still trying to hop aboard the "football" (soccer) phenomena   Give us another 100 years to fully hop aboard the lacrosse train.  

Stadium food confuses me, it seems to be super expensive for pretty mediocre food.  Hot dogs and popcorn shouldn't cost so much.

I also just think I fell in love with Chris Messina.

Thanks for the explanation, Hostile16.

Not much of a sports fan. I only willingly watch tennis and that's rare. Even when I've gone to a baseball or football game, I haven't enjoyed it. Maybe lacrosse is worth checking out.

Stadium food confuses me, it seems to be super expensive for pretty mediocre food.

It is mediocre, but you are inside the Stadium and have no other option if you want to eat. Hence the hightened price. Just like at the movies.

If people started to bring in their own popcorn or hot dogs, prices would drop drastically.

If people started to bring in their own popcorn or hot dogs, prices would drop drastically.

Most stadiums won't let you do that; you might be able to if you can claim some health issue, but usually the best you can do is sneak a bag of trail mix or something small in your purse if you carry one.

(edited)

You can't bring your own food into a ballpark, at least not at the Major League or triple-A level. Your bag is checked before you enter the park -- they are mostly looking for weapons, but they will confiscate large items of food, too (you can usually get away with bringing in a candy bar or something like that, but they'd probably make you toss a big bag of popcorn, for example). Just like the airport, it is a perfectly tuned system to make a captive audience pay more. Hence a bottle of water costs $5 and I don't even know what beer goes for, but it's over $10.

Total aside that is probably boring: most baseball is played in ballparks now, not stadiums. Those big ugly concrete "multipurpose" facilities built in the 60s and 70s to house both baseball and football were never that great for baseball (think Candlestick Park. And then go get warmed up; I'm so sorry I made you think of that ;)). The renaissance of fields built specifically for baseball began in the 90s with Camden Yards, and it has spread throughout the league. Some teams do still play in their horrible old stadiums (Oakland Coliseum, I'm looking at you) but mainly baseball is played in ballparks. Not stadiums. This has been today's boring baseball trufax. :)

*jinx, harrie!

Edited by AnnieF
  • Love 1

My mom gave me a cucumber to munch on the one time I went to Eden Gardens to watch a World Cup match. Couldn't see a thing and everyone kept borrowing my binoculars so I really couldn't see a thing. Fun experience, though I feel no need to repeat it. 

BTW, are we still practicing or have we officially moved here now?

You are allowed to bring food into Phillies games, and also sealed, plastic, bottles of water.  Soft sided coolers are even okay.  I never realized that wasn't the norm for ball parks, but then, I can't say I ever really thought about it either.   

Holy crap, even soft-sided coolers? Someone hasn't gotten the message about how it's a perfect opportunity to make more money off fans! Heh. Every ballpark I've been to has pretty strict rules about what you can bring into the park, and food isn't allowed. That's all west coast -- ATT Park (SF), Dodger Stadium (LA), Petco Park (San Diego), Safeco Field (Seattle). All had "no food" rules.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm here now. :)

I'm here now too. No point in losing potentially fascinating conversations in TWoP land.

I had a crappy day at work, then I came home and looked for jobs, and realized that my prospects are also crappy. Fun!

Is anybody else getting a kick out of the fact that there are aaaaall of those other forum threads here now... going completely unused? While the ersatz "Meet Market" is the only thread that's hopping? :)
Don't they realize we're not actually interested in talking about the show? We hung out at TWoP all these years, long after the show was cancelled, to talk to each other!

• Love 4

Alrighty, now that I know it wasn't an elaborate April Fools joke I have decided to come and hopefully lurk slightly less over here. 

I had a very long, but fun day teaching which definitely makes finding out that TWoPoclypse was not an April Fools joke easier to swallow. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm here now.

Me too! Well, I'm still doing both, since, well, familiarity and trying to get to my 3,000 posts. I know what's important, yeah.

Crab fries sound delicious! They have crab sandwiches at ATT but I think they cost like $20. Ah, ATT. Someone should come to town (again) and we can go there! C'mon, val! My sis and I went to Yankee Stadium!

Food and drink rules do vary from ballpark to ballpark. CitiField is similar to Citizen's Bank. They do put a limit on the size of liquid you can bring in (much like airport carry-on baggage). And, the food is much better than it used to be, although quite a deal more expensive as well. cko mentioned the food in S.F. (highly recommend the garlic fries), CitiField has a Shake Shack, Camden Yards has Boog Powell's Bar-b-que, Coors Field has Rocky Mountain Oysters (and, no, I chose not to try them). Beer is ridiculously expensive, but you're no longer limited to Bud or Bud Light, so that's a plus. There is something special for me being at the ballpark watching the game live, that I don't get from watching on tv.

• Love 2

There is something special for me being at the ballpark watching the game live, that I don't get from watching on tv.

Yep, me too. That's why my family goes to at least 3 Giants games every summer (we live in Reno, so it's a bit of a trip. We stay with friends).

This makes me think that we need a bit of meet n' greet, 'cause the lurkers have delurked (yay!) and we're not all conversant with each other's lives and whatev. I'm Annie, you can call me that in real life and I will answer, although it's not my first name (it's my middle name). I'm 45 years old, married, with two sons aged 14 (that's the F-ster) and almost 11 (the F-let). My husband, Mr F., is a graphic designer (he's working for the National Judicial College now, which is cool). I trained as a chef, and that's where my professional interests lie. Alas, that fuckin' multiple sclerosis came along and screwed me right up. So I'm partially disabled (I often use a cane) and I can't really work. It is a pooper. :( But I am mostly positive, and have been a volunteer in a study for a new MS treatment (venoplasty). It works, but not permanently. There is always another challenge, but I have hope.

Feel free to ask me anything about MS. I am always ready to spread the ccsvi word. :)

Chime in with deets, y'all. Whatever you're comfortable sharing. :)

• Love 3

I'm Liz(zy) and I'm 43, married, with 3 kids. Two girls 15 and 11, and a boy who is 8. I don't work, haven't in forever and now it's mostly because I'm scared to death to, I'm working up to it, though. My husband is a senior software architect at a place (household name, but...). I live Northern Va and I'm a nerd, sometimes a dork, and almost always a geek. My hobbies include complaining about my mother-in-law and complaining about television.

(edited)
This makes me think that we need a bit of meet n' greet, 'cause the lurkers have delurked (yay!) and we're not all conversant with each other's lives and whatev.

I am Erratic. It feels wrong being Rachael on the net. I am an English transplant in Canada. Spent 16 years in the Canadian Arctic and moved down south to the temperate climes of Northern Alberta 5 years ago. My family still runs a small hotel up in the arctic though.

Not a baseball fan, but I came to Canada the year that the Blue Jays won their first World Stanley Superbowl Series, and as we only had three channels in English, and one in Inuktitut/Innuinaqtun, baseball was on every night on our television, and that was a fun summer to watch baseball. As was the next. And never since.

Endeavour, I've been in this job for 6 years and I like the job, just not the people I work for. I see myself as a needed resource for the employees who need a neutral and knowledgeable force in the workplace. Kind of a Captain Hammer, except the hammer is not my penis, as I am a girl. *

Hi all!

* That whole sentence was a lot funnier in my head but my head is BURNT from work this week, so my sense of humour is kind of like a sense of taste after washing down a case of salt and vinegar chips with sulfuric acid.

Edited by Erratic
  • Love 2

my sense of humour is kind of like a sense of taste after washing down a case of salt and vinegar chips with sulfuric acid.

Hello to the imagery!

ps it was pretty funny :)

• Love 3

Hi, I'm dusky, I am the single mother of a 17 year old girl. There are issues there that we are working on. Her father, the ex, is an amazing asshole, he left me when she was 3, had a mail order bride who returned herself to the Ukraine, left town when she was 9, sends her horrible "gifts" such as pieces of cloth and flutes (she doesn't play the flute, had never mentioned the flute, yet he sent her a flute for Christmas one year) if I really dislike you I will send you a link to his "music".

After 8 1/2 years at one job I was laid off in 2009, after a year of unemployment I started to temp at the job I hold now, it is a soul sucking customer service position but they pay me moderately well and hey, almost free cable and internet. The people here are probably one of the only way I have gotten through some of this "stuff", you guys are the best.

Today was just exhausting, but I have taken a 3 day weekend in honor of my birthday, unfortunately the weather is still fairly sucky, this was the winter that will not end, and I really can't justify a big splurge on myself, what with having to register and inspect the cars (my daughter's needs some work) and actually owing the IRS this year but I will be kind to myself in some way.

• Love 3

Hi Ya'll! I'm bug, yes I will answer to that in the real world.

I'm a single mom of an almost 12 year autistic daughter, also a puppy(she's new). I'm a high school English and theatre teacher, most of my students think I'm only half crazy. I love what I do 99% of the time. I'm a huge geek and even am on staff with the local comicon, I'm a moderator so I get up and talk in front of bunches of people.  

I love dissecting movies, television, and books till the wee hours of the night. 

• Love 2

Hi! I'm Endeavour.

No spouse or little ones to speak of. I'm a paralegal and find the work interesting but the pace is exhausting at times and I feel totally under appreciated lately. I've already mentioned that I'm not a sports fan. I don't have much free time (caring for a parent), so not a lot of hobbies to speak of but I enjoy music and, of course, watch a bunch of tv. One of my challenges these days is learning to carve out out time for myself.

Happy birthday, dusky!

• Love 1

Cathy here, but I use the name cko since way back when I wanted to just use my initials but. As I've said many times, I never thought I'd be actually conversing with people using this as a name. BTW to me it is c-ko. In my fifties, San Francisco Bay Area, single, live with my dad who just turned 90! Love Whedonverse (er, most of it), Sorkin (some of it), mostly sci-fi, some comedies, music, meeting up with awesome internet friends...talking about life, and...what else. Cupcakes, sports, the occasional gambling junket (especially since that means I can see AnnieF!). I'm a college health educator and we just finished writing a letter of explanation to someone who complained to the President of the University about our condom day activity because he saw on a Tea Party website that there were kids touring campus who might have seen a giant condom walking around. Yeah that would be so shocking but not just walking up Telegraph past a buncha homeless and junkies and stuff.

• Love 2
(edited)

BTW to me it is c-ko

And to many of us, it remains 'See-kay-oh', like Taylork is 'Tay-lork' not Taylor K. And to many, Barphe is 'bar-fey' not 'barf'

But please keep trying to correct us, after all, once YME explained her name, it was waaaay easier to think of her as 'Why me' as opposed to 'Y.M.E.'

Love ya, CKo ;)

Edited by Erratic
(edited)

I'm KPC.  I was part of the great Twopocalypse (tm valny) and followed my friends here. I'm an actress (mostly starving), I live in the nyc area, and I have an interesting family (i.e., they're kind of crazy).  I love shakespeare, btvs, the muppets and everything in between.  I'm sure there is more interesting stuff about me, but I can't really come up with anything at the moment.

Pronounciation of names as I imagine them:

There was a long period of time when I thought YME was "Yimmie."

cko is see-kay-oh.

Barphe is Bar-fee

valny is val-nee.

Because of how it's spelled, the endeavour is said in an english accent in my head.

Of course, I also thought Ogre or pronounced "Org" and Relm was "real-em" for most of my childhood.  

ETA:  I'm also bad at tagging correctly.

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 1

Hi, I'm Darkpool. I live in Portland and do legal research and writing for a living. I'm technically an attorney (having a JD and a bar number), but I don't have clients or handle cases; I'm basically just a freelance paralegal/ghostwriter for other lawyers. It's a mostly low-stress job that lets me set my own hours, so I'm pretty happy with it these days. Single, childless, and quite content to be attachment- and responsibility-free.

In my free time I volunteer at the Oregon Zoo (mostly info booth and volunteer security) and have some other annual volunteer gigs: film festival, local indie comics convention, a local nonprofit that promotes urban liveability, and most recently started doing a tabletop game convention.

Hi! I was trudi_tru over on TWoP, but I lost my underscore in the move. I do not answer to that in real life. I don't remember if I ever mentioned this, but when I first signed up with TWoP I just happened to have a Trudi (the biggest stuffed toys brand here) stuff animal on my desk and so trudi I became.

I am Italian, I live in Rome (born and raised, as they say), I work for the Italian Financial Intelligence Unit, which sounds a lot cooler then what it actually is.

Single, no human kids, but two furry babies, my dogs, whom I love with all my heart.

I love music, reading and tv series (duh!). I can't say that I have a current tv obsession. I really miss the old Buffy/Angel/The X-Files/Friends days, when I'd watch a new episode over and over and over again. I still have a lot of quotes, if not entire pieces of dialogue, memorized. Especially Friends.