Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

One of those song lyrics that resonates.  While I’ve never really had this issue with a lover…..   many times I just don’t know what to say to people and just say something stupid a lot of times.

silence ain’t a bad thing sometimes 

• Like 4

I seem to be the only death metal fan on this site, but the new Nile album is a good one! If you're going to listen, do it at a comfortable volume. There's no point in jackhammering it into your ears. Too loud will put you off and it's bad for the hearing. Anyway, go to it!

• Like 1

Twelfth Helloween album "Gambling With the Devil" (2007). You know, this might be the most fun to listen to album of theirs yet - the beat is fast, the riffs slap, the vocal delivery is top notch. 

• Like 1

Thirteenth Helloween album "7 Sinners (2020 Remaster)" (2010). Kinda an odd one, most good songs are those that are above 5 minutes in length. After the previous one, I'd consider this to be on average side.

• Like 1

@Palimelon I liked that song as a kid even though the video freaked me out for some reason. I watched it again a few months ago and still found myself somewhat uncomfortable...

@Rushmoras that's how I found out about Poets of the Fall too. It was quite a few years after 2010. I've never played the Allen Wake games myself. I have seen them all played by streamers on Twitch though.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

Fifteenth Helloween album "The Dark Ride (Special Edition)" (2013). Came out the same year as their fourteenth one. Almost as good as the previous one. Probably [without wikipediying] they had a lot of material throughout the years in their heads and one album was not enough to convey their artistry.

On 9/13/2024 at 4:37 PM, Anela said:

I miss the era in which protest songs were all over the radio, so cheer hard for the artists that make them in modern times.

Like when P!nk (featuring the Indigo Girls) did this in 2006:

Oh, wow, I had forgotten all about Swing Out Sister.  They're not really my jam, but "Breakout" and, especially, "Am I the Same Girl" were catchy -- fun to revisit.

• Like 3

Sixteenth and penultimate Helloween album "God-Given Right" (2015). In comparison, more social commentary than most albums of theirs. But after track five it becomes more or less what you'd expect from Helloween. I guess, to me this is the most generic sounding album out of 2010s albums of theirs.

Last (so far, cause they are working on another one) album of Helloween "Helloween" (2021). Eh, it was alright, nothing memorable though. Better than the penultimate one.

As always, subjective assessments of each album:

1. Walls of Jericho (2024 Remaster) (1985) - 7.3/10 [Best songs: Walls of Jericho/Ride the Sky; Reptile; Metal Invaders; Gorgar; Judas; Ride the Sky – Live; Guardians – Live]

2. Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part I (2024 Remaster) (1987) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Initiation; A Tale That Wasn’t Right; Future World; Halloween; Follow the Sign]

3. Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part II (2024 Remaster) (1988) - 9/10 [Best songs: Eagle Fly Free; Dr. Stein; We Got the Right; I Want Out; Save Us]

4. Pink Bubbles Go Ape (Expanded Edition) (1991) - 6.7/10 [Best songs:  Kids of the Century; Number One; Heavy Metal Hamsters; Goin’ Home; I’m Doing Fine, Crazy Man; Your Turn; Shit and Lobster; Les Hambourgeois Walkways; You Run With a Pack]

5. Chameleon (1993) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Crazy Cat; Giants; Windmill; Music; Step Out of Hell; I Believe; Cut in the Middle; Windmill (Demo)]

6. Master of the Rings (Expanded Edition) (1994) - 7.8/10 [Best songs: Where the Rain Grows; Why?; Mr. Ego (Take Me Down); Take Me Home; Still We Go; Star Invasion; Cold Sweat – Single Version; Silicon Dreams – Single Version]

7. The Time of the Oath (1996) - 8/10 [Best songs: Steel Tormentor; Power; Forever and One (Neverland); The Time of the Oath; Electric Eye; Magnetic Fields; Rain; Light in the Sky]

8. Better Than Raw (Expanded Edition) (1998) - 6.7/10 [Best songs: Hey Lord!; Don’t Spit on My Mind; Time; A Handful of Pain; Lavdate Dominv; Midnight Sun; A Game We Shouldn’t Play]

9. Metal Jukebox (1999) - 5.5/10 [Best songs: Locomotive Breath; Lay All Your Love on Me; The White Room; Mexican]

10. Rabbit Don't Come Easy (2003) - 10/10 [Best songs: Open Your Life; Never Be a Star; Sun 4 the World; Don’t Stop Being Crazy; Do You Feel Good; Hell Was Made in Heaven; Listen to the Flies; Nothing to Say; Far Away]

11. Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy (2005) - 8.5/10 [Best songs: The King For a Thousand Years; Silent Rain; Occasion Avenue; Light the Universe (feat. Candice Night); Do You Know What You Are Fighting For?; The Shade in the Shadow; My Life for One More Day]

12. Gambling With the Devil (2007) - 8.6/10 [Best songs: The Saints; Paint a New World; The Bells of 7 Hells; I.M.E.; Dreambound; Heaven Tells No Lies; Find My Freedom; See the Night]

13. 7 Sinners (2020 Remaster) (2010) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Who Is Mr.  Madman?; World of Fantasy; If a Mountain Could Talk; The Sage, the Fool, the Sinner; Far in the Future; I’m Free; Faster We Fall]

14. Straight Out of Hell (2020 Remaster) (2013) - 9.4/10 [Best songs: Nabataea; Far From the Stars; Burning Sun; Waiting For Thunder; Wanna Be God; Asshole; Make Fire Catch the Fly; Another Shot at Life; No Eternity]

15. The Dark Ride (Special Edition) (2013) - 8/10 [Best songs: Mr. Torture; Mirror, Mirror; If I Could Fly; Salvation; I Live For Your Pain; We Damn the Night; Immortal; The Madness of the Crowns; Deliver Us From Temptation; If I Could Fly – Single Edit]

16. My God-Given Right (2015) - 7.5/10 [Best songs: Stay Crazy; Lost in America; The Swing of Fallen World; Like Everybody Else; Creatures in Heaven; If God Loves Rock N’Roll; Living on the Edge; Wicked Game]

17. Helloween (2021) - 7.2/10 [Best songs: Fear of the Fallen; Best Time; Indestructible; Cyanide; Skyfall; Save My Hide]

Average album score: 7.8/10

Blast from the past - I loved L7 during their heyday (and was aware of them prior, as they were an L.A. band).  They created, along with an LA Weekly reporter, the Rock for Choice (abortion rights) fundraiser concert, including Nirvana and Hole, and it was fantastic (I was there).  It continued on as an annual event for about ten years and I attended probably half of them; the Feminist Majority Foundation became a backer early on, and there was a great cover album released, "Spirit of '73: Rock For Choice" (referring to Roe v. Wade), as an additional fundraiser.  I, of course, still have my copy -- I'm going to pop it in the player.

• Like 1