Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

Aaaand - I'm out.  Again, GOD DAMN it!   :-)

I also haven't been to the movies in, I don't know how long.  I think an acquaintance dragged me to one about 7 years ago or so ...  I just wait for them to come to my premium channels and watch in the comfort of my home.  Now if I had a good old-fashioned drive in theatre nearby, I might be tempted.  But sitting in a sticky-floor spooge-cushion movie theatre filled with obnoxious assholes?  No, thank you.

• Love 1

We still have an old fashioned drive in about 30 miles away, I'd go. I remember going in my footie pajamas and we were allowed to go play on the swings, eat popcorn then after the cartoon we were supposed to go to sleep. They were watching some monster/horror movie and campers were in the woods. Dude crawls out of the tent in the middle of the night and I shouted "don't forget toilet paper" to the man who then got eaten by creature. I was not scared, just concerned for his hygiene. 

We also later went to see "colors" Sean Penn, Robert Duvall movie and unbeknownst to the parents every other word was "fuck" and nekkid running around. So the parents (not mine) just took the speakers out of the windows. So we watched a "silent" movie at the drive in. haha

• Love 3

I also haven't been to the movies in, I don't know how long.

I have no desire to enter one of those cinderblock bunkers, have 20 minutes of blaring commercials (that I'm paying to watch!!) and then see some derivative crap movie that is unwatchable due to cretins in the audience who think they're at home and have no inhibitions about loud conversations or answering fucking cell phones. They have to! They're so important they must be reachable by phone at all times!

I might not mind all that if I didn't remember the exquisite experience of movie-going in the days when a theatre called The Palace, e.g. offered offered elegant surroundings and movies that were enjoyable. You know, in the days when people actually knew how to act when in the company of other real people instead of virtual ones?

Someone needs to tell me to shut up I guess. Blah.

• Love 2

The only time I hear cell phones at movie theaters is when they play the commercial about turning off your phones.

I love watching the trailers before the movie. I went to Avengers 2 on opening weekend in a small theater near me (an independent, $6 before 6 PM type of place) and there weren't any trailers! I was pretty disappointed. I cover my eyes for horror trailers; I have no interest in the movies and commercials for horror movies give me the creeps.

I have no desire to enter one of those cinderblock bunkers, have 20 minutes of blaring commercials (that I'm paying to watch!!) and then see some derivative crap movie that is unwatchable due to cretins in the audience who think they're at home and have no inhibitions about loud conversations or answering fucking cell phones. They have to! They're so important they must be reachable by phone at all times!

I might not mind all that if I didn't remember the exquisite experience of movie-going in the days when a theatre called The Palace, e.g. offered offered elegant surroundings and movies that were enjoyable. You know, in the days when people actually knew how to act when in the company of other real people instead of virtual ones?

Someone needs to tell me to shut up I guess. Blah.

I am so lucky....There is a movie theater chain by me that actually stations ushers in the theater during the whole movie.  If they see a light from a cell phone (even to answer a text) you get kicked out.  You talk during the movie, you get kicked out.  The place is always packed because people are so happy to go to the movies and actually watch it.

• Love 4
(edited)

I've always been baffled by the prices of snacks in movie theaters. I noticed you can get a "subscription" to a bucket of popcorn, you pay $20 and then your refills are ONLY $4 every time you come back. HELLO! How much popcorn do you have to eat for that to break even????????? Movie theaters wonder why they don't make money? and why people prefer to stay home? noise, crowds, cell phones and $50 for a coke and popcorn. Nachos were like $6.50. They would quadruple sales if they just lowered the price. As it is I only go when it's an "event" type movie for me. Meaning Jurassic Park will be it for me this year. And I aint buying no popcorn. 

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 3

noise, crowds, cell phones and $50 for a coke and popcorn

Even without those huge irritants, I still wouldn't go because of the commercials. I never ever watch those at home because I've become allergic to them and they make me sick, so no way am I going out in the cold, standing in line and paying a lot of money to watch them.

As it is I only go when it's an "event" type movie for me.

Yup. The last time I went willingly to a movie was to see the original Jurassic Park.

Oh, and I don't drink soft drinks, but I've heard if you go to a theatre and ask for a large Coke with no ice, the reaction is mildly amusing.

• Love 1

I've always been baffled by the prices of snacks in movie theaters. I noticed you can get a "subscription" to a bucket of popcorn, you pay $20 and then your refills are ONLY $4 every time you come back. HELLO! How much popcorn do you have to eat for that to break even????????? Movie theaters wonder why they don't make money?

Hey, it worked for Bill Gates.

Saw Mad Max finally, and it was totally worth the hype! So fast paced, such great acting, great costumes, so creative, so badass, but with such interesting characters, and a surprising amount of heart and intelligence. I could go on about the characters and the use of practical effects, and the action, but what I love is the world building. There was so much detail, so much was shown instead of told, and so much to catch the more times you watch it. I loved it, and need to see again. 

Has anyone heard of any good new shows that are starting this summer? Or anything else I need to catch up on? 

• Love 1

Hey, y'all. Just popping in to say hi. I haven't been around much because I lost my mom at the end of March and, being an only child, I'm left having to deal with everything. But I do think about you dear, hilarious people and I'm sure I'll be wandering in and out until the new season starts.

• Love 4

Consultation June 5th for wisdom teef. :s 

I guess next Monday is Memorial day (for the states)? I guarantee they'll ask me to work at the weekend job, dunno if I'll take it. I'll still have slightly more time off which will just be spent sleeping although my treat might be watermelon, I love a good melon. And it says summer to me. 

• Love 3

My college roommate just posted a wedding picture, as it is her anniversary today which means it's also the anniversary of the death of my car! I had taken the family station wagon (AMC Eagle, please google it, damn thing almost as ugly as the car in "Lampoon Vacation") with me to school and I drove it's nasty beat up self up to her wedding with another friend. Some lady going the opposite direction decided to turn left in front of me while I had a green light. I couldn't swerve so I hit the brakes and smacked into her, totalling my car (it wasn't a bad crash, the car was just worth nothing) so we had to be picked up by the family and in the end I had to ride back home with the bride and groom. My friend had to get her boyfriend to come get her and I remember she wanted to remain at the reception and wait for him and she was crying because he was late. She wailed "what if he got into an accident" and I wanted to throttle her. WE!GOT!INTO!AN!ACCIDENT! Years and years later I'll be visiting with her at thanksgiving or christmas or whenever and a cousin will pipe up "hey, you're the one who wrecked your car coming to the wedding" I'm always happy to be reminded. 

I cracked up the same car in high school. Several friends ditched after school practices to essentially just do nothing and goof off, I had to get my one friend home before his father got home so we are booking it up a dirt road, One guy is hanging out of the passenger side window, sitting in the open window. Last I looked I was going 85 mph and then I hit soft sand and started to slide. I knew not to hit the brakes but swish we went and flipped on the enbankment. Luckily everybody was ok but the car was on it's side and headed the opposite direction of where we had been travelling. I remember thinking it was like being in a dryer when we were tumbling around. First on the scene? His dad, eeek! And he walks up to me and asks "how fast were you going? bout 100?" and I said "no of course not!" we pushed the car over and they turned 2 front tires around (busted all 4 axles, destroyed the radiator and entire front end) but the sucker started right up and I hobbled it to the garage. It was like driving that cartoon buggy mobile that made the crawling, hop skip tires and hissed and popped. At the garage I jokingly said "do you think you can fix it before my dad gets back from his fishing trip?" (3 days) IT WAS A JOKE! But he repeated it to my dad and I swear til the day he died he honestly thought I was trying to hide that accident from him! It was $4,500 worth of damage! My mom sent me to Seattle with my uncle for the summer because she was skurred my pops was gonna kill me. :D

• Love 3

we pushed the car over and they turned 2 front tires around (busted all 4 axles, destroyed the radiator and entire front end) but the sucker started right up and I hobbled it to the garage. It was like driving that cartoon buggy mobile that made the crawling, hop skip tires and hissed and popped

• Love 2

I can honestly say not as bad as that crash! We did end up on the side like that. I am amazed at the stupid crap I did when I was a kid. I had a dirtbike and wrecked all kinda ways. I scare myself when I think of stuff I did. I burned all the skin off the back of my leg and it took the entire summer to heal. It was like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I coulda chopped James in half for sitting out the window like that. I really wasn't that bright. I almost burned the house down once. Really really stupid.

• Love 1
(edited)

Parting shot before I left today, 76 year old woman yelling at me because I took a phone call. Sorry. They left a message for this guy and he called to say he would either be by today or tomorrow. No one had told me they were closed tomorrow. So rather than a whoops moment they yelled at me how dare I not put someone else on the phone? Because it didn't seem that complicated! Geez. I'm doing shots. Whose in?

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 1

Wheeee! I keep watching the wrong movies. I watched Gravity. I knew not to watch "dallas buyers club" or "fault in our stars" in my mood. But I didn't have any silly stuff. Catching up old TiVo crap.

• Love 2

Am I too late to join in on the shots?

Why, why can't we all be independently wealthy so we don't EVER have to work in customer service again? I swear if I ever win a lottery I will continue to work until I am able to call a few people out on their bullshit and "the customer is always right" mentality.Verbal abuse and subhuman treatment is not listed in anyone's job description people...

• Love 2

My customers aren't my problem. I'm abused by management but tomato/tomahto. People suck. But indeed I need some lottery money. We gotta get on the island. Get my hammock hung and sip my fruity drinks through a strAw. I will have a stick to scratch my itches. It will also push my when I want to swing in my hammock. It will also grab me snacks and poke people when I wAnt their attention. Otherwise I ain't moving.

• Love 3

Me, I'm mainlining the Sopranos from start to finish on DirecTV's On Demand.  So excuse my f**king language for the next couple of weeks.

My favorite post from the Sopranos thread on TWoP was from a poster whose Dad loved the show and sang along with the opening theme song:

Born under a Datsun

With a boom boom in my eyes ...

• Love 4

Why, why can't we all be independently wealthy so we don't EVER have to work in customer service again? I swear if I ever win a lottery I will continue to work until I am able to call a few people out on their bullshit and "the customer is always right" mentality.Verbal abuse and subhuman treatment is not listed in anyone's job description people...

My customers aren't my problem...

413TYd5s3OL._SY355_.jpg

• Love 1

Hey yall, Im hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I just read that George Romero's Empire of the Dead, which is a graphic novel, is going to be turned into a tv show. I have not read this yet and the first "book" iss not available online (that's where I do most of my graphic novel reading these days) SO if anyone here has the first episode or even jsut the first issue and would be willing to lend it to me, I will pay all shipping and return it to you in the same condition as you send it me. Please IM me and let's sort it out!

• Love 2

Me, I'm mainlining the Sopranos from start to finish on DirecTV's On Demand.

Omg, every time I see one word about the Sopranos anywhere, my heart rate goes up. My dream would be a real-life neuralizer that would wipe out my memory of that show so I could watch it and have it be my first time all over again.

• Love 2

Hey yall, Im hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I just read that George Romero's Empire of the Dead, which is a graphic novel, is going to be turned into a tv show. I have not read this yet and the first "book" iss not available online (that's where I do most of my graphic novel reading these days) SO if anyone here has the first episode or even jsut the first issue and would be willing to lend it to me, I will pay all shipping and return it to you in the same condition as you send it me. Please IM me and let's sort it out!

If you don't hear back from anyone, the Marvel website says the shop around the corner from me has it. I'll gladly not-so-random act of kindness it to you.

• Love 2

If you don't hear back from anyone, the Marvel website says the shop around the corner from me has it. I'll gladly not-so-random act of kindness it to you.

Well dang, I didnt even think about that lol!!! We are in the process of packing up and moving to our new home but I bet I'll have a little free time where I can go visit my local comic store and pick it up! Hahaha oh man, "once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"!!!

• Love 3

I've always been baffled by the prices of snacks in movie theaters. I noticed you can get a "subscription" to a bucket of popcorn, you pay $20 and then your refills are ONLY $4 every time you come back. HELLO! How much popcorn do you have to eat for that to break even????????? Movie theaters wonder why they don't make money? and why people prefer to stay home? noise, crowds, cell phones and $50 for a coke and popcorn. Nachos were like $6.50. They would quadruple sales if they just lowered the price. As it is I only go when it's an "event" type movie for me. Meaning Jurassic Park will be it for me this year. And I aint buying no popcorn. 

Growing up my BFF's Grandpa owned a movie theater (yeah, it was so cool), and he barely got any of the ticket money.  Almost all of that goes to the Studio.  The snacks are how they make their money, but it  gotten really ridiculous.

• Love 2

Not gonna look. I've never seen an episode of 6FU, and it's already on my up-and-coming list. Don't want to despoil the virgin territory.

Which is why I provide links rather than that other spoilery forum-crashing video stuff - I respect your boundaries.  (Plus, I'm a techno-moron who has no idea how to do it any other way, but still ...)   :-)

I lurve virgin TV territory.  Such a treat in these days & times.  I am absolutely aflutter just thinking about watching SFU for the first time!

I've never seen an episode of 6FU, and it's already on my up-and-coming list.

Lucky you! I'm envious. You're in for a unique treat with moments of brilliance that can have you laughing and crying all in one episode. BTW, the link Walnutqueen posted doesn't spoil anything at all.

• Love 1

Lucky you! I'm envious. You're in for a unique treat with moments of brilliance that can have you laughing and crying all in one episode. BTW, the link Walnutqueen posted doesn't spoil anything at all.

Fair warning - the link DOES spoil the opening sequence of one episode, and that's enough to spoil the entire premise of the show in a very small way.  But I am still proud to have made the frying pan/customer service hellhole connection.   :-)

I would SO be rewatching this series if it aired on my teevee.  Again and again!  But, unlike sex, there's nothing like your first time.  :)

• Love 1

I loved 6 feet under. It's one of those shows that I did complete 180 on. Started out one way and it flipped everything I thought. I'd rematch it again now just to see with my new eyes from the beginning.

• Love 2