Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

Live long and prosper mr Spock.

I finally have a job in my field and I'm scared that if I apply it'll get back to my boss. I wouldn't care if I got the job but AWKWARD if I don't. Yes I can ask for confidentiality with current employer but such a small microcosm I think simeonr could just mention seeing me there.

• Love 3

So today I learned that I'm a wee bit claustrophobic while having a medical test where they basically tied me up and shoved me headfirst into a freaking TUBE, and when the nice young man who was feeding occasional instructions into my headphones suddenly went silent for what seemed like half an hour, I tried to think warm, relaxing thoughts but instead decided that the zombies had come, were feasting on him, and were coming for me next. When it was all over I told him about it and learned he's a fellow TWD fan.

• Love 4

nachomama, it seems like you have to try for the job, even if things could be awkward. The alternative is you don't take a chance and you just sit where you are forever.

I don't know how horrible your current boss is, but you could consider telling him/her that you're applying for a different job. You'd have to sling a lot of bullshit, like, "Of course I'm happy with my current job, and everyone is nice here [if s/he'll believe it, you even throw in what a good boss s/he is] but this is an opportunity to get a job in my field and I feel like I'd be wasting my education [training, prior experience in the field] if I didn't at least apply. It might not work out anyway, but I wanted to let you know and of course, I'd keep you informed."

Obviously, you know your boss and I don't, and it's possible I gave you a hearty belly laugh with the ridiculousness of my suggestion. Good luck, though! It would be good to find some happiness with your job! :)

• Love 2

This guy would know my boss. Sort of know me. We have loaned them stuff and they have done a job or two for us when something breaks down.

Part of me thinks that if I say its just money they might offer to pay me more and that's swell. My boss' brother is a supreme jerk though. He definitely fuels a hostile environment I'd be happy to get away from him. It's a family business. There's no "up" for me to go. And if they retire or sell I got nothing.

• Love 3

This guy would know my boss. Sort of know me.

The guy should know where you're working, and not squeal on you---by the way, he can get in big trouble for disclosing private info on an application.

I would go for it.

Just be careful on the app and don't say you want to leave your current job because you hate it; say stuff about how the new job would have more use of your skills etc.

So today I learned that I'm a wee bit claustrophobic while having a medical test where they basically tied me up and shoved me headfirst into a freaking TUBE

I enjoy scans, it's nice and peaceful. I can go to sleep in there.

My boss' brother is a supreme jerk though. He definitely fuels a hostile environment I'd be happy to get away from him.

9dd0d530acad6697b69594389eff86ff.jpg

• Love 3

In the moment, I took Aaron's talk of Friday night dances to be snarky banter—like Hershel's spaghetti Tuesdays. But now I'm actually picturing CDB dancing: Eugene busting Randy's moves from My Name is Earl, and/or doing the robot. Abraham breaking badly. Carl trying to impress the local girls.

How do you think CDB dances?

• Love 2

Wow, I don't check in here for a few days and it's all different.

So the party is tonight and I get to wear the new dress.  And then I had a week that underscored the necessity of further shopping.  I was trying to finesse my way past a luxury condo concierge/security dude for an unscheduled home visit and the guy was being really unhelpful.  I'm a nice, polite woman on a mission so usually I can talk my way past anybody, but this guy was not buying it at all.  A glance in the lobby mirror showed me why. After my stressful Fall/Winter (to recap for those new to my whinging: new job, new home, dead cat) I lost a lot of weight due to not eating.  I had no appetite and when I did force myself to eat something it wouldn't stay down.  I will have no trouble surviving on the ZA diet because stress kills my desire to eat stone dead.  Anyway, I'm standing in the upscale lobby with my jeans sliding down my hips.  I look like I'm wearing clown pants.  And on top of that I'm holding a phone, still functional, but held together by tape because it's about six years old and the case separates at the edges.  Yeah, I wouldn't let me in either.  I'm reluctant to replace things that still function, so the thought of adding a new phone (though Bell's been enticing me with free upgrades for years so I might get a phone for free if I choke down a new data plan) to the cost of a new laptop, something I've needed since late last year although this one is hanging on like grim death (ASUS, you do good work) and now new clothes on top of that, is kind of killing me.  It's past the stage where this is optional though.  My jeans are two sizes too big, my phone is an embarrassment and I did intend to get a data plan anyway (took the old one off in the fall to lower my bill during employment transition) and the laptop battery died eighteen months ago plus the poor thing has been working around a quirky hardware issue for months now.  Money will be leaving my tight little fist.   

On the subject of: anyone here familiar with the Microsoft Surface?  I was looking at that as a possible replacement for the laptop.  Apple's always been out of my budget so I'm not even glancing in that direction.  I like the look of the Surface and I also like that it has the keyboard.  Is it worth the money?

• Love 1

Kikismom if I could "like" those infinity I would. I was gonna say somebody gotta be doing the Carlton dance.

Who is Alexandra Breckinridge?

She's been on American Horror Story, and True Blood. 

Ok, I had a creepy dream that I feel the need to share.  It was post-apocalyptic, but there weren't any zombies.  It wasn't so bad at first, because we were living in these beautiful abandoned mansions.  At some point, a gang of men decided there weren't enough women to go around, so they started claiming them.  Since I am a woman, that wasn't good news.  I was kind of spying on them from inside my house, and they were breaking in to get me.  I was running around this huge beautiful house, locking all the doors and windows, screaming to get the gun.  I grabbed a fireplace poker and when I turned around, they were all in the room with me - there was an older woman there, too.  Then I woke up.  As nightmares go, it wasn't my worst - I usually dream of vampires and demons.  But it was creepy.

• Love 3

The only time I ever had dreams quite that bad was when I was pregnant. Pregnant anxiety dreams were the worst. :(

And it's hard to shake that kind of dream, isn't it? Good thoughts sent your way, RedheadZombie.

• Love 2

I was gonna say somebody gotta be doing the Carlton dance

I see Andrew Lincoln is doing the Rick Astley/Chris Martin dance; otherwise known as British Male Dancing, i.e. not being able to dance at all.

• Love 3

So today I learned that I'm a wee bit claustrophobic while having a medical test where they basically tied me up and shoved me headfirst into a freaking TUBE, and when the nice young man who was feeding occasional instructions into my headphones suddenly went silent for what seemed like half an hour, I tried to think warm, relaxing thoughts but instead decided that the zombies had come, were feasting on him, and were coming for me next. When it was all over I told him about it and learned he's a fellow TWD fan.

I've slowly developed claustrophobia.  I never had it when I was little.  I even went through a phase when my friends and I would roll each other up in a sofa bed.  The thought of that now gives me the willies.  On the most recent episode of Grey's Anatomy, a doctor was receiving radiation treatment for brain cancer.  First they placed a molded mask with small holes over her head, then snapped it in place!!  She was locked into the mask and you could hear the sounds of her breathing.  I could barely watch the scene.

I had an MRI that I barely made through.  It helps if you close your eyes before you're slid into the machine.  I knew if I opened my eyes at any point it was over.  I started breathing too fast, and they had to repeat some of the images.  Then I tried holding my breath for long periods.  It doesn't help that the magnet creates a lot of heat and I was uncomfortably warm.

• Love 2

I had an MRI that I barely made through.  It helps if you close your eyes before you're slid into the machine.  I knew if I opened my eyes at any point it was over.  I started breathing too fast, and they had to repeat some of the images.  Then I tried holding my breath for long periods.  It doesn't help that the magnet creates a lot of heat and I was uncomfortably warm.

If it wasn't for the heat from the MRI magnet I wouldn't have had any action at all this year.

• Love 7

kikismom and anela, you might want to put that information about that actress and her TWD role in the spoilers thread...

I had a couple of MRIs (I think, the one where you go full body into the tube) one week apart. They were looking at my brain to make sure a weird health issue was the thing they thought it was, rather than a brain tumor!! In the first one they saw something odd, which didn't look like a tumor, but they had to look again to make sure it wasn't a big deal. Luckily, it wasn't!! I didn't mind the tube too much, and other people had said it was going to be really loud, but I didn't experience that.

The other good thing about my MRIs was they were at the end of a calendar year and we'd met our out-of-pocket limit that year, so they cost us absolutely nothing. Good timing, for sure.

• Love 2

I don't do Twitter. I have nothing to say worth listening to. It's a tool I think best used towards quippy non sequiturs. I don't know thst anyone can sound very intelligent in such small doses.

• Love 3

kikismom and anela, you might want to put that information about that actress and her TWD role in the spoilers thread...

I'm not putting it in spoilers. I figured if the actress can tweet it , it's something that is okay to be put out in the universe, same as AL or NR saying something on a talk show interview.

But screw it.

• Love 1

I had a couple of MRIs (I think, the one where you go full body into the tube) one week apart. They were looking at my brain to make sure a weird health issue was the thing they thought it was, rather than a brain tumor!! In the first one they saw something odd, which didn't look like a tumor, but they had to look again to make sure it wasn't a big deal. Luckily, it wasn't!! I didn't mind the tube too much, and other people had said it was going to be really loud, but I didn't experience that.

The other good thing about my MRIs was they were at the end of a calendar year and we'd met our out-of-pocket limit that year, so they cost us absolutely nothing. Good timing, for sure.

Oops, I meant to do that. Sorry! 

She didn't mention anything about relationships, it just reminded me of everything I'd heard about fans going overboard. She has tweeted about being on the show, but didn't give away the name of her character - unless that's on IMDB?

• Love 1

I don't do Twitter. I have nothing to say worth listening to.

So? That never stops anyone else!

didn't give away the name of her character - unless that's on IMDB?

Yes, it is, but I don't see how a name can spoil anything...?

• Love 1

I know Alexandra Breckinridge from American Horror Story. It's somewhat unfair to judge her acting from that show since it is kind of inherently campy, but I'm going to anyway:

She is mostly eye candy. A pretty (probably dyed) redhead. She didn't detract, but she didn't add anything. IMO.

(edited)

Ok, I had a creepy dream that I feel the need to share.  It was post-apocalyptic, but there weren't any zombies.  It wasn't so bad at first, because we were living in these beautiful abandoned mansions.  At some point, a gang of men decided there weren't enough women to go around, so they started claiming them.  Since I am a woman, that wasn't good news.  I was kind of spying on them from inside my house, and they were breaking in to get me.  I was running around this huge beautiful house, locking all the doors and windows, screaming to get the gun.  I grabbed a fireplace poker and when I turned around, they were all in the room with me - there was an older woman there, too.  Then I woke up.  As nightmares go, it wasn't my worst - I usually dream of vampires and demons.  But it was creepy.

Well, obviously, the beautiful abandoned mansion is your uterus, the old woman is your ovary, and the gang of men are little swimmers  The part about you grabbing a fireplace poker and then they were all in the room---huh, I can't figure that one out...

Feel better now?

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 2

So? That never stops anyone else!

Yes, it is, but I don't see how a name can spoil anything...?

I checked the page, and the name is different from the one I was expecting, so maybe she isn't who some have been speculating she is.

Anyway, I barely slept, because my dog hasn't been feeling well, and I'm more concerned about him right now. He's somehow bouncy and energetic at sixteen, but I think his teeth are bothering him. I've lost his siblings over the past four years, and am terrified of losing him. He's been attached to me since day one, as I have been to him. We gave him an aspirin, and I won't be able to settle in and watch House of Cards now, so I'll probably be stress-cleaning. and making white chicken chili.

• Love 4

Anyway, I barely slept, because my dog hasn't been feeling well, and I'm more concerned about him right now. He's somehow bouncy and energetic at sixteen, but I think his teeth are bothering him. I've lost his siblings over the past four years, and am terrified of losing him. He's been attached to me since day one, as I have been to him. We gave him an aspirin, and I won't be able to settle in and watch House of Cards now, so I'll probably be stress-cleaning. and making white chicken chili.

Oh, sending love and hopes that everything works out okay! We'll be worried here till we know; keep us posted.

• Love 2

Did anyone go to Walker Stalker Con in Chicago?  I was going to go and everything went to hell at work so it was impossible :(  I think I might try to go to the one in Atlanta next year - I bet that's the biggest one.  The Chicago one had Michonne in the posters but then she was taken out so I think she couldn't come at the last minute/

I'm so sorry, it is hard when our fur babies are sick.  I'm dealing with a senior dog myself.  He's 9 but a giant breed so that's pretty old.  He'll get picky and not eat for days and then scarf down his food.  He seems to have developed a stubborn streak in his old age.  If you have trouble getting him to eat try some beef and rice - it works for my picky eater every time.

Did anyone go to Walker Stalker Con in Chicago?  I was going to go and everything went to hell at work so it was impossible :(  I think I might try to go to the one in Atlanta next year - I bet that's the biggest one.  The Chicago one had Michonne in the posters but then she was taken out so I think she couldn't come at the last minute/

I'm so sorry, it is hard when our fur babies are sick.  I'm dealing with a senior dog myself.  He's 9 but a giant breed so that's pretty old.  He'll get picky and not eat for days and then scarf down his food.  He seems to have developed a stubborn streak in his old age.  If you have trouble getting him to eat try some beef and rice - it works for my picky eater every time.

When ours was 15 and got Cushing's disease I started feeding her rice and baby food lamb from my finger. She had been having seizures, incontinence, and was unable to jump up on the sofa anymore, but when I fed her that she got control of her bladder, stopped having seizures, and could jump up and run around and was her old self. She lived very happily till 17.. I don't know why it worked but it did!

(edited)

Feeling your pain. I hope he does OK. If it's teeth, it can definitely make them act strange, so maybe he can turn around quickly. I haven't had much sleep because our 16-year-old cat has been sick. She's lost her vision as part of it so she wants to be clinging to me all the time. If I'm moving around she tried to follow and gets hurt. She's having seizures in the wee hours. I'm dreading going to work tomorrow and leaving her alone with our younger bully cat. Edited by BrokenRemote

Oh, poor kitty. 

I may or may not go back to Atlanta walker stalker con next year. It was fun but my people dropped out on me, much more fun if you have people with you. Orlando might be the only other doable one for me. And no way do I stand in the line for rick or Daryl, holy smokes. Plus I wouldn't pay that. I think Michonne doesn't do too many of those. She wasn't in Atlanta this past year either. (and had been scheduled)

• Love 1

Feeling your pain. I hope he does OK. If it's teeth, it can definitely make them act strange, so maybe he can turn around quickly. I haven't had much sleep because our 16-year-old cat has been sick. She's lost her vision as part of it so she wants to be clinging to me all the time. If I'm moving around she tried to follow and gets hurt. She's having seizures in the wee hours. I'm dreading going to work tomorrow and leaving her alone with our younger bully cat.

She could be fine in the bathroom with the door closed. The bully one would just scream in there all day probably. But a sick one just wants peace, water and food within easy reach, and a nice soft bed. You can make a little litter box for her. But bully pets know when another has no defenses and you will make yourself sick with worry all day. Keep them separated; she can't get hurt in the bathroom. Give her a sweater or pillowcase with your smell on it. Sending love and hope it improves but no matter what we're all here for you.

• Love 2

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I may try the bathroom. She seems to really only want my bed, but she may do ok. I've had a blind cat before but she was blind from an early age and adapted so easily. Older cat doesn't pick up navigating quite that quickly.

Waiting for AAA to come put a new battery in my car. I got stuck waiting 2.5 hours in below zero weather with no heat for them a few nights ago but thought I'd just left a light on. At least I'm home this time. Just read that my town had its coldest February in history, with an average temp of 10.2 degrees. If spring doesn't come soon..

• Love 2

Oh, poor kitty. 

I may or may not go back to Atlanta walker stalker con next year. It was fun but my people dropped out on me, much more fun if you have people with you. Orlando might be the only other doable one for me. And no way do I stand in the line for rick or Daryl, holy smokes. Plus I wouldn't pay that. I think Michonne doesn't do too many of those. She wasn't in Atlanta this past year either. (and had been scheduled)

There was a Michonne "package" and then it just disappeared about 2 weeks before.  

I'll go with you to Atlanta!  You can hang with me and my crazy peeps!  Crazy in a good way that is...lol  We should all go!

• Love 2

Yeah there was a "buddies" panel for her and Carl they changed it to him and Sophia. I kinda wonder if they don't sell enough VIP tickets they bail. It's like a rock concert they earn big bucks at these. The people stand in line for hours to get sknething signed for $200. No way I can afford that. Plus if you're in line you can't be at the other panels.

I don't need to touch them. And I found it incredibly annoying some of the stupid questions asked over and over. And the same people in every panel! And moms figured out to get their kid up there. They got hugs and hogged up time saying "it's my birthday. Teddys birthday. Or lil Sammy likes your character best" and Sammy was 3 months old.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, since they moved the current season out of "Past Seasons" the boards are better. I'm going to predict a big drop off in post to the individual character threads. I still have the same problem for those: more loading time, more data used.

Ok, today sucks. They couldn't get my car going, brought one battery that wouldn't work (after I told them I needed a new one). Now I have to walk a half mile in the cold to the bus stop tomorrow morning. And we ordered pizza at 6:30, still not here. They were rude as hell when I called, after over 2 hours. (Did I mention this place is less than a mile down the road?). And you know they'll knock on the door with our ice cold supper during the show!

I was going to go to the store and get some catfood sick kitty would like, now I can't. I have some she'll take a couple bites of, but I wanted to give her something I knew she'd eat a decent amount of.

Tonight just sucks.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 1

My old old boss thinks I should ask for a raise before I go explore the other job. If I knew how to ask for a raise I would have done that.

You still can ask for a raise while the other app is in. That way you have back-up.

Still, I'm concerned by the boss's brother you mentioned, and the fact that it is a small family business.

Every job will have people you hate.

Big companies can also fold overnight. But you have to think where you feel more secure and less unhappy.

It's scary isn't it? We know, been there.

Where do you think you could still be in 5 years?

• Love 2

I want to be on a friggin island in 5 years, preferably with no ZA but as long as I got my hammock and I can poke brokenremote with a stick, for giggles then I'm good. Obviously my ginormous fear is that if my boss finds out I'm looking then he replaces me before I get the dream job I want. And 5 years ago I went through the whole take 3 jobs to get by situation. I didn't go to work at MacDonald's, but close, minimum wage, took in an alcoholic roommate, asked him to leave within 2 weeks, ( he still calls me and screams into my phone at 4 am). I'm not lazy or shiftless or a dead beat. I work really freakin hard and I don't want to go back to the juggling. 

• Love 3

Good luck, nachomama !

I haven't had much to say lately. Boyfriend and I are going through the rigamarole of hiring home improvement contractors. :-/ What a hell that is! At first, it's fun and you pick out colors and wood and light fixtures and all that. Then you start getting the bids and it's like, Jesus H Christ - why is everything so expensive! And in Denver, the contractors are not short of work (as a matter of fact, there seems to be a shortage of labor) and there isn't much room for negotiation.

Luckily, Boyfriend and I are pretty much agreed on what things should look like so that shouldn't be an issue. I know some couples endlessly argue about style, but our potential contractors have been impressed with our relative unity about what we want. :)

• Love 2

That's no fun. I always sort of get a few and go in the middle. Don't pick the highest guy and the lowest guy might not know what he's doing. But I've had bad experiences getting stuff done. Redid my bathroom and they took a month and the guy put the wall grout on the floor and floor grout on the wall. And tiles immediately began cracking and I went and took the home improvement class at Home Depot and they show you how to "butter" your tiles and on big tiles you put lots, use the biggest teeth on your trowel. For wall/bathroom tiles you use the itty bitty teeth. I had seen him using the itty bitty teeth on the floor. I did my entry way myself and it's crooked at hell but I used the right butter and no freaking cracks! :D 

Then I had people painting and I came home to a broken window, I didn't mind so much, accidents happen but no one alerted me to it. Didn't tape it up just left a gaping hole to let bugs in and a/c out. I overlooked that. Come home the next day and there's paint spilled on my porch, everyone gone, I get the hose to wash it off and it's completely dried. How long had they been gone? You just leave paint? And I'm not talking drips, actual spillage. I fired them and the woman went on and on about how sorry she was but she still wanted to be paid for what had been done up to that point. Told me the window breaker/paint spiller dude was fired. I had to replace the window anyway because I had another rotting and I just ended up getting windows for the whole back of my house but it sure does suck to weed through companies like that.

• Love 4