Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Flash Is Born

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Barry could even have just thrown a ball bearing at the guy at supersonic speed. Speaking of throwing a piece of metal at supersonic speeds, you know what else is a lot like that? A bullet. I mean really.

Also, please stop having Barry ask team Science how fast he'd need to go. He needs to go really fast. In fact, given how every other week he needs to go faster than he's ever gone before, he should be working out on the super-treadmill to build up his powers...

BTW, now that I think about it some more, there's no way he runs out of a room in the blink of an eye from a dead stop but it takes him 5.3 miles to get from over 100 mph** up to supersonic. Hell, that ep a few weeks ago where he talked to Iris in quasi-frozen time, he packed a minute or so of monologuing into a fraction of a second so brief she didn't even notice, so he was probably moving faster than the speed of sound there already.

** wild estimate here

Wells and Joe West: "well, it couldn't have been metahumans 14 years ago, because there wasn't a particle accelerator back then. Do you remember any storms before my industrial radiation accident?" ... What? You're a man of science, you've clearly seen that metahumans are possible, but you suggest that only your particle accelerator could induce metahumanness?  That's like discovering fire and thinking only your flint could make fire. And also you think that metahumans never leave a city once they've gained powers, so whoever killed Barry's mom had to have gained his powers in Central City?  How does any of that follow?  Joe is a very dumb detective if any of that fooled him.

• Love 2

If you buy the notion that even with the particle accelerator technology it was still a one in a billion chance that resulted in Barry getting speed, I'd say it'd be a reasonable hypothesis that it would be even more improbable that someone could have gotten Barry's speed before that technology existed to create/facilitate it.

For me, it's more like this one accident has given a small number of people very disparate superpowers, so maybe there are other ways to induce metahuman-ness. Maybe some of them have occurred in the past.

More generally, I don't like how Smallville and The Flash push to have all superhumans generated from a single event. It's way too neat.