Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Risky Business

Team Scorpion enlists the help of a musician who created a controversial algorithm that generates hit songs to help find the murderer of a music blogger. Meanwhile, Drew asks Walter to help him connect with his son.

Refreshing that the bio dad and Walter are both playing for Ralph's team instead of measuring to see who's got more stuff.

Scott "Kid Cudi" Mescudi played the music programmer. Maybe because he's not really an actor, he had such a flat affect that I kept thinking maybe he was going to be a bad guy. If he was really playing the keyboard, that was lovely.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Show continues to amuse the heck out of me. Hope Walter wins the race this time! 

Man this episode Paige contributed absolutely NOTHING.  She delivered a piece of paper.  I can't decide if her being there is about Walter or about having the adorable Ralph as part of the team.

As usual, adorkable.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm also surprised it took them this long to find a way to get Katherine McPhee to sing.  Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a future episode, that requires her to go undercover and sing an entire song.

I kept trying to figure out where I've seen the music programmer from; so, that was Kid Cudi, huh?  I guess I'm not quite hip on the music artists.  On the other hand, I automatically recognized Method Man in his role.

Glad that Ralph's bio dad does seem to be trying, even if he is clearly struggling, and needs Walt's help.  It would be refreshing if he doesn't end up being a bad guy of any kind.  On the other hand, I have to think Walt's "reckless" behavior, is going to become a big problem for him.

Glad that next week looks like we'll be getting more Caleb.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2
thuganomics85: On the other hand, I have to think Walt's "reckless" behavior, is going to become a big problem for him.

Where did this reckless behavior stuff come from? I don't remember it being mentioned in earlier episodes. It seems like each week they bring out some new issue of Walter's. A couple of weeks ago, he was in danger of going down the rabbit hole like the former colleague who tried to cause a nuclear meltdown. I am actually not that invested in Walter or his issues. In general, I like the show for the fun aspects of the problems and how they get into/out of situations. The angsty personal stuff doesn't garb me as much. Showing how the group interacts is fine, of course. I see this as a procedural, and procedurals are best IMO when they dole out the personal stuff sparingly, over time. The prime example being the Law & Order mothership. That show kept my interest while presenting very little info about the characters' backstories and lives outside the precinct.

I do agree that it's nice that they aren't (so far) making bio dad a villain.

Didn't know that McPhee was a singer, I guess I hate musicals and American Idol and never seen her before.

Ugh please don't make a musical episode! I'll quit this show in an instant 

So Lambos stop on a dime huh? the sudden stop Walter performed should have been enough to at least deploy the airbags.. 

I'm also guessing you can rent Lambos somewhere

Pro tip: if you need a rapper, don't send Toby! *G*

I liked the episode. It did show that there was a way to be an artsy genius that Walter could approve of. Of course, it was through electric instruments, like keyboards, but still. It got Walter to think outside of his box a couple of steps. 

I love Toby trying to keep Walter from the worst acting out impulses. To me, it was a kind of call back to the Vegas episode. Toby may think the world of Walter, but he can point out when Walter is being needlessly stupid.  I also am enjoying his slow build to trying to ask Happy out. There is no "perfect time"; you have to make it 'the perfect time' by simply asking.

Speaking of, good on Happy! Cute target acquired and in sights! Date accomplished!

As to Drew and Ralph: I am glad that it is not easy. I am glad that Walter is not being stupid about his feelings, and is actually trying to be helpful to all three parties. I just hope that Paige tells Drew about the D-, because that will tell the tale. If Drew wants to be a good dad, he will tell Ralph not to dumb himself down for him and/or other sentiments along those lines. If he is to be bad, he can tell Paige that he doesn't need to be condescended to by his own kid and storm away. Or act like he doesn't know what's going on with Ralph outside of their time together or other equally crappy things.

With the heavy beats of betrayal and trust, I really hope that the show also stays away from the retired-ballplayer-turns-to-gambling-for-easy-cash trope and uses Ralph in that, or a similar, way.  Even Sylvester will buy a ticket on the line to punch Drew out in that circumstance. (Only acceptable if he is dressed as Captain Super Fun.)

That's Kid Cudi? ::goes to check out his...music::

It was a fun episode, overall.

• Love 1

Missed a number of eps and wanted to see if the show had improved.  Nope, still the same knock you over the head characterizations.

The lead is sooo smart, the mechanic girl can really fix things, the nerd is still OCD, and the hat guy still talks like Sigman Freud.

The little boy is too smart for his dad, but will respond if egghead stuff is imposed.  And only the IQ guy can help.

Katharine McPhee is adorable to look at and has no real job here, but to only say common sense things. 

Patrick is a cliche leader of a secret group.  Very stiff and boring.

I'm surprised this show is still on and gets good ratings, but I think the reason is that it is on CBS, which dominates the ratings.

I think the opening credits of Walking Dead are more interesting than this show.