Type keyword(s) to search

That Theme Song

Portia

I know it's terrible, okay? But at the risk of getting shamed off these forums, I'd like to make a couple of small observations. (1) The little violin-and-banjo instrumental break, it could be argued, is kind of pretty. (2) Just for fun, in place of Joss Whedon's awful words, you can sing the lyrics to the 19th century hymn "Take My Life and Let It Be." Entertaining and inspirational!

• Love 1

I actually really love the Firefly theme song and think that it's entirely appropriate for the series- it has the no-sound-in-space-violin-stand-in, it's definitely in keeping with the story and characters in the series... it's very much a theme song, which is something we don't always get with TV shows (pretty instrumental pieces though they often are, they frequently tell us nothing of the show we're about to watch, whereas this one tells us a great deal, both lyrically and with the choice of instruments and style used).

I can understand not liking it, definitely, but not thinking it an appropriate theme song, I'm afraid I don't quite get... I find the Archer theme very annoying, but I think it's totally appropriate for the series.

Enterprise is also terrible but it wasn't a creator overreach, just a bonehead network call. Winner and still crapion: Firefly!

Two things: first, Enterprise's theme was just inexcusably bad. But then, so was Enterprise. Oh Rick Berman, to have words with you... angry, angry words... *shakes harder, boy*

Second, you don't like it, you can skip it. And I don't at all mean that in a "If you don't like it, go away" manner, I just mean that it's long enough that you can literally skip it on your DVD player, PVR or Netflix without worrying that you're going to accidentally eat in to the program itself (like, for example, Worse Than Jazz contestant and, as I recall, winner-- and holder of a short-enough-to-be-problematic-when-fast-forwarding-show-- The Mindy Project). I contend that being skippable means that it can't be the worst ever, even if you don't like it, because it's not hard to never have to sit through it. Heck, I like it, but if I'm marathoning the series, I'll skip it- after two or three episodes, I tend to find most shows' theme songs drive me nuts (apart, maybe, from Brooklyn Nine-Nine's, which I dance to, and The Lost World's and Xena's, which I enjoy trying to force my voice low enough to speak along to).

• Love 2

Let me preface this that I am NOT defending Enterprise -- I have no horse in any fandom race, especially that one -- BUT in the interest of clarity the Enterprise "theme" is just a cover of an old song originally sung by Rod Stewart (pause for giggles) and I remember reading that its inclusion was a Paramount/UPN edict. All that is to say at least in Enterprise's case you can blame a bunch of other people and not the show's creative talent.

Enterprise's theme was just inexcusably bad. But then, so was Enterprise. Oh Rick Berman, to have words with you... angry, angry words... *shakes harder, boy*

On this there is no argument. That show was stink from A to Z but I do remember singing the theme song trying to make Star Trek lyrics for it in real time. So there's that.

We should have a thread where we post our alt lyrics for themes. Hmm...

• Love 1

Let me preface this that I am NOT defending Enterprise -- I have no horse in any fandom race, especially that one -- BUT in the interest of clarity the Enterprise "theme" is just a cover of an old song originally sung by Rod Stewart (pause for giggles) and I remember reading that its inclusion was a Paramount/UPN edict. All that is to say at least in Enterprise's case you can blame a bunch of other people and not the show's creative talent.

On this there is no argument. That show was stink from A to Z but I do remember singing the theme song trying to make Star Trek lyrics for it in real time. So there's that.

We should have a thread where we post our alt lyrics for themes. Hmm...

Yeah, I almost feel bad for hating it (throwing things at the TV during the pilot, running around the house laughing hysterically when the cancellation news broke...) since I hear it got better near the end (apparently largely thanks to the efforts of Judy and Gar Reeves-Stevens, whose work I normally like), but... *shudder* so very angry...

To clarify, I don't mean to indicate that anyone is defending it, I just sort of begin compulsively ranting whenever that show comes up because I am a crazy person who can't let go of TV-related anger. I must say, though, the idea of alternate lyrics sounds remarkably fun- I think Voyager's theme song would be vastly improved with some amusing lyrical additions... hmmm... *ponders*

• Love 1

My family wakes up to the Firefly theme every morning. I get so much shit because I let it run twice.

It's not that I LOVE the theme so much... it's okay and decent and all... but it's because it's FIREFLY. 

It's Firefly.

• Love 4

I started out hating it, but it grew on me. Ultimately, I stopped even just taking the words to be about them flying around in a spaceship.

When Firefly was airing, the golden age of space shows had already come and gone. Babylon 5 was over. All the Star Trek shows that didn't suck were over. Andromeda had started out with some brilliant ideas, but never quite managed to climb over the mountain of Kevin Sorbo's ego. I don't remember whether or not Futurama had already been cancelled. Didn't really matter, because it always got pre-empted by a football game anyhow...

Science fiction was getting harder and harder to write, because the faster we see our own society changed by technology, the harder it becomes to show us a future that is both plausible and comprehensible. But, there's still that kid inside a lot of us that wants to have a space-adventure show we can enjoy. And when I sit down to watch Firefly, and I'm shifting mental gears to prevent myself from being bothered by all the issues that simply make no sense, because, god damn it, I want to have fun watching my TV show... "you can't take the sky from me" actually sums it up pretty well.

• Love 2

I'm finally giving it a long overdue whatevereth rewatch. 

And I do still stand by my above-posted explanation of why I actually don't dislike the original theme...

But there is a better song they could have used.

• Love 3