Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Robert Duvall, Robert Downey Jr., Stephen Fry, U2

• Start Topic

Together on Graham's sofa: Oscar-winning star of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, Robert Duvall; Iron Man himself, Robert Downey Jr, starring in the new movie The Judge; writer and actor Stephen Fry, talking about his new memoir More Fool Me; and mega-band U2, chatting and performing their new single, The Miracle (of Joey Ramone), from their new album Songs of Innocence.

Wow, no replies? Not very surprised. Just watched this and apart from the great Stephen Fry and his New Year's story it might be the dullest episode of the show I've seen. Not to mention that half of it was centred on U2, a band I've never been interested in (I couldn't name one of their songs if my life depended on it).

• Love 1

I thought it was good. Of course I can never get enough Stephen Fry.

I LOVED his suggestion for the name of Robert Downey Jr's new baby: Uppy Downey. Oh my gosh. How funny. I didn't even get it until he said the full name.

Robert Duvall told some great stories. At times I thought he was a little out of it, but I was wrong because he always had something funny or witty to say. Loved the stories about Dustin Hoffman and Marlon Brando. Fantastic. Duvall's impression of Brando laughing was hilarious.

I thought I'd heard that The Judge wasn't all that good. However, every time I hear or read those involved with the film promoting it, they sell the hell out of how outstanding it is. Which makes me think it's not. 

I don't care one way or the other about U2, but I thought their time on the couch was fine. I do agree, though, that too much time was devoted to them.

I liked that Robert Downey Jr seemed content to let Robert Duvall and Stephen Fry be the focus. He talked when he was addressed but it looked like he was trying to get out of the way of those two.

I got a little worried when Robert Duvall came out and he was looking for something to grab onto as he went up the step to the stage. I was hoping Graham would run over and give him a hand. I thought he was going to be a bit out of it too, but he was great.

Stephen Fry was a bit of a killjoy and I thought his New Year's story was boring. I didn't get the joke about whatever show Diana wanted to watch so there was no punchline to it for me.

U2 was ok, but Graham was trying to keep all of them involved and a conversation with 4 people tends to be disjointed.

I didn't get the joke about whatever show Diana wanted to watch so there was no punchline to it for me.

She told him she was going to watch Spitting Image, which made vicious fun of the royals, among others. With kinda gruesome looking puppets.

Graham's Irish accent seemed more pronounced than usual with U2 on the couch. I got a huge charge of the early publicity photos of them.

As for Duvall, I'm still holding a grudge against him for the $10 I shelled out to see The Apostle, the worst movie I've ever paid money for.

I was wondering how Graham would tweak U2 about the iTunes situation. They were good sports about it. Especially the crack about the "Great Conditioner Shortage of the '80s." Hee.

Seeing them reminded me of the movie Killing Bono, which is very entertaining.

• Love 1