Type keyword(s) to search

Best Coach? It Ain't That Easy...

Kromm
  • Start Topic

I'm happy Gwen is back but ugh, must we have Pharrell again? Just after 2 seasons, I'm sick of him. It's actually a testament to Adam and Blake that even though sometimes I do get a bit tired of them after 8 seasons, it is never to the extent of wanting them off the show, especially Blake who manages to be irreverent and sincere at the same time.

• Love 1

I thought Pharrell improved by leaps and bounds this season. Mostly just be leaving his kids alone and supporting them in what they were doing. (Although, he should have encouraged Mia to make a more strategic pick. ) And with him already producing and writing a song with Mia, and promising to play a role in Sawyer's album if Sawyer wants him to..I'm more impressed. Plus, watching Pharrell watch Koryn was the best part of the season. 

My issue..he can't really sing. One of my favorite parts of the show is the coaching performances and the coach/contestant duets. The Usher/Michelle duet is probably my favorite performance of the entire series. (Well, anytime Usher was on the stage it's a top moment for the show.) Christina..god..that woman's voice. 

So as much as i like Gwen and Pharrell's personalities, they are kind of a letdown on stage. (I mean, I like Adam's voice. It's good. But when he has to carry the other three to the extent that he does....the performance is lackluster.) 

• Love 2

Rumor has it, that it's Gwen, Blake, Adam, and Pharrell.

Ugh, that might be it for me then. That panel was so damn dull. Pharrell in incredibly nice but is just too earnest for the panel. Gwen added nothing of value to the panel and had weird chemistry with Blake. Blake actually tuned out the entire season with Gwen and Pharrell. God that was dull. Bring back the all-star panel of Usher, Shakira, Adam and Blake. The most fun panel by far. But, really anyone but Gwen she has no personality off-stage.

• Love 2

I'm not fond of that panel at all right now. Gwen turned out to be good when it comes to appearance and stage presence (I think I barely watched that season only snips of it) while Pharrell's coaching left a lot to be desired. He shouldn't pick songs for his contestants, but he shouldn't give them complete reign. I actually think Gwen was and possibly still is the better coach. While Pharrell won with Sawyer this past season, it was pretty much a repeat of Season One with Adam Levine and Javier Colon. Sawyer, like Javier, was a clear front runner and was predicted to win the entire thing with his coach being along for the ride. Essentially they both coasted with their respective contestants and provided minimal input for improvement. Adam did advise Javier reel in the overuse of melisma and Pharrell tried to do away with Sawyer's security blanket (guitar). I liked Sawyer and wish him a successful career.

My preferred panel: Adam, Blake, Kelly, Usher...

• Love 1

Ugh, that might be it for me then. That panel was so damn dull. Pharrell in incredibly nice but is just too earnest for the panel. Gwen added nothing of value to the panel and had weird chemistry with Blake. Blake actually tuned out the entire season with Gwen and Pharrell. God that was dull. Bring back the all-star panel of Usher, Shakira, Adam and Blake. The most fun panel by far. But, really anyone but Gwen she has no personality off-stage.

I liked Gwen a lot because she's a good coach, IMO. But I agree in that chemistry was off that season. I think it was because it was Gwen and Pharrell and then Adam and Blake. There was a clear divide. Not that everyone didn't get a long, but it was just the chemistry was off.

With Blake/Adam/Shakira/Usher..those four just blended really well. But I'd be willing to bet we won't get Shakira back. :( Still..please God, let Usher have a change of heart and do the show without her..I liked Pharrell a lot, but if it's him or Usher..I'm taking Usher. Besides, Pharrell needs a season off to work with Mia, Sawyer, and Koryn. 

• Love 1

I'd like a Gwen/Christina/Usher/Pharrell panel.  I am tired of Adam and Blake's schtick.  I wouldn't mind Shakira as a judge because i love her vocabulary, but I think she is only in the middle of the pack in terms of coaching.

My issue..he can't really sing. One of my favorite parts of the show is the coaching performances and the coach/contestant duets. The Usher/Michelle duet is probably my favorite performance of the entire series. (Well, anytime Usher was on the stage it's a top moment for the show.) Christina..god..that woman's voice.

I completely agree with all of this.  Neither Pharrell nor Gwen sing, really.  I don't care for Shakira's voice.  The others are fine.  I probably enjoy Blake's group performances the most.

• Love 1

I'd like to try a season of Blake, Adam, Christina, and Usher. Pharrell seems like a great guy, but he's kinda boring to watch. And that goes triple for Shakira and Gwen.

Plus, I feel like that would he a more equal grouping of star power and vocal ability. Pharrell, Shakira, and Gwen are talented in many ways, but I don't think they are "the country's best voices" (or whatever Carson says) by any stretch. It really shows in the coach group sings, IMO.

• Love 2

I'd be a has-been over a never-was any day :)

I like Gwen as a coach.  She is so earnest and invested in her contestants.  She might not be the most hyper of people, but I enjoy her sincerity.

(edited)

The problem with earnest is that it is boring. She is almost humorless on the panel which doesn't help matters. She doesn't do the joking around that the others do. It made the taped portions of the show dull as dirt. And for whatever reason, Blake did not enjoy the Gwen/Pharrell panel. He checked out in the blinds and stayed that way.

If I was The Voice, I'd throw more money at Shakira to try to get her and Usher back. They were the best panel. Otherwise, I'd go for Kelly Clarkson and John Legend. Give us new blood. The show is really just for entertainment and Pharrell and Gwen don't provide that. Christina provides that because you get to see her constant struggle not to be bitchy and that is always entertaining.

Edited by pivot
  • Love 1
(edited)

I really liked Alicia Keys and Reba, and I loved Sara Bareilles and Jewel from The Sing-Off.  I'd love to see those 4 in an all-women (coach) season.

ETA:  I find Usher nearly as boring as Pharrell on the panel, unless they showed the one-on-one time (with Michelle, for example), where he was great.  

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 1
(edited)

The problem with earnest is that it is boring. She is almost humorless on the panel which doesn't help matters. She doesn't do the joking around that the others do. It made the taped portions of the show dull as dirt. And for whatever reason, Blake did not enjoy the Gwen/Pharrell panel. He checked out in the blinds and stayed that way.

If I was The Voice, I'd throw more money at Shakira to try to get her and Usher back. They were the best panel. Otherwise, I'd go for Kelly Clarkson and John Legend. Give us new blood. The show is really just for entertainment and Pharrell and Gwen don't provide that. Christina provides that because you get to see her constant struggle not to be bitchy and that is always entertaining.

My personal favorite coaches  are Shakira and Usher..but one night this season where Christina was handing out backhanded compliments like it was her job ("That was...challenging..you look nice.") Might have been the most entertained I've ever been with a coach. 

If we can't have Shakira...definitely bring on the Usher/Blake/Adam/Christina.  

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 3

I'd definitely enjoy a season of Usher and Christina together. Usher's hotness and both their talent together? I'd love it. Although it's possible they could clash. Usher, Christina, and Adam are the three most diva-ish coaches they've had (imo), and Christina and Adam only just started to put their drama to rest this season. Usher is more of a gentleman than Adam though, so maybe not.I'd still love a year with Christina and Shakira together, but I know that's never gonna happen. I believe Kelly Clarkson would be able to rival Adam and Blake with the zingers. I thought Gwen would fit in that way, but she came across aloof.

• Love 2

I liked Gwen as a coach. I thought she brought out some really interesting stuff from her contestants. Shakira was a terrible coach and she sings like a goat. But yes, she is funny.

I didn't think Usher had a sense of humor, he seemed so serious but nevertheless, my ideal season would have Adam, Blake, Christina and Usher as coaches. I'm worried if Pharell is back for season 9 he'll dominate the auditions and i didn't enjoy season 8

• Love 1
(edited)

Usher had a sense of humor paired with Blake or Shakira. I don't get the sense that he and Adam really clicked. Gwen and Pharrell are too serious even though I like Gwen's actual coaching. The thing, though, is my favorite portion of the show are the blind auditions and the battle rounds... and those work for me when the coaches are doing their comedic act. Once it hits lives, I'm bored to be honest, unless I find a contestant I really love. So if the humour is missing from the blind auditions, I may check out entirely. Dudebro humor it may be between Adam and Blake but at least they keep things light during the blinds. So unless they find other coaches who can keep it light and entertain me, I'm down with Adam and Blake being on the show.

Edited to add: I'm not sure what kind of coach Cher would be but I remember her being hilarious on the show as a mentor. I'd love to have her.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 1

Adam and Usher definitely didn't click. I think it was hard for Adam's ego to have a guy on who was hotter and more successful than him. Christina might have some issues with Usher as well. She is the least relevant of the current coaches but she can at least claim to be the most successful worldwide in her panel. Put her with Usher or Shakira and that just isn't true.

I'd be curious how Shakira and Christina would get along. Oddly enough they have never met.

• Love 1

I think Christina gets a bad rap for some things that weren't exactly her fault. (The britney/Xtina feud was made up by the press, the Pink/Xtina feud had more to do with Pink/Xtina's manager and of course Linda Perry) Personally, I think she'd be happy to have Gwen/Usher/Shakira with her. You could tell she loved having Pharrell on the panel..she had someone she could talk to while Blake and Adam were being dude/bros and Pharrell didn't talk about how much he liked her big boobs. She'd get that with Gwen (who she's friends with anyway), Shakira, and Usher (I think. He's like Pharrell and he seems to be much more of a gentlemen.)

It seemed like Usher and Adam clicked a lot more the second time around. 

• Love 2

My preferred panel: Adam, Blake, Kelly, Usher...

If you mean Kelly Clarkson..

a.) since that "Duets" show I don't think she's had any interest in a reality show for more than an episode or two at a time

b.) she would have been impossible THIS season, because she's got concert bookings all Summer and even somewhat into Fall.

While Pharrell won with Sawyer this past season, it was pretty much a repeat of Season One with Adam Levine and Javier Colon. Sawyer, like Javier, was a clear front runner and was predicted to win the entire thing with his coach being along for the ride. Essentially they both coasted with their respective contestants and provided minimal input for improvement.

Forgive me if I am somewhat off-topic, but although I agree that Javier Colon was probably considered the clear front runner at the beginning of Season 1, by the end of the season his front runner status was not as certain. Just before announcing the winner, Carson stated that only 2 percentage points separated the final 2 contestants (Javier and Dia Frampton) in viewer votes, and regarding the songs performed during the final performance show, Dia Frampton held the #1 position on ITunes, and Javier held the #2 position. Adam looked nervous and far from certain of Javier's win as he was waiting for the announcement. In the case of Sawyer, however, I don't think there was much doubt that he was going to win, which made the season a little more boring for me. I would have preferred more suspense as to the outcome (genuine suspense, not contrived).

I don't think we've ever had as clear a favorite as Sawyer.  Javier did start out that way, but as Vought notes above, Dia steadily made up ground on him once the live shows began and actually edged him out in total iTunes sales.  In fact, I suspect that if that hadn't been a shortened season, Dia likely would have won.

Despite the lack of suspense about the winner, I do think Season 8 was one of the best simply because we had so many really good performances.  I would rank it behind only Seasons 3 and 4 in that respect.