Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Mentionable Is Manageable

Over the past 2 weeks, Shane has learned that one of the major sponsors of this show, Pittsburgh-based American Eagle, refuses to let him film in their HQ store due to the raunchy script.  The costume designers hired by production refuse to work on Shane's movie due to the raunchy (sorry - "characature") script.  Owners of the houses to be used for location shooting (easy, free money for them) refuse to let their houses appear in Shane's movie due to the raunchy script.  Actors --  ACTORS! -- refuse to even audition for roles in Shane's movie due to the raunchy script.

At some point, will Shane realize that if he can't pay people good money to even work on his movie, maybe there aren't a lot of people willing to spend their own money to WATCH his movie?  I especially liked how his defense that his movie was not THAT raunchy had him using the "F" word about 100 times. LOL

SHANE: "My demographic is 12 years old."  

That's kind of sad.  I think in 10 years time, Shane will look back at that and feel sad, too.  He's a grown man trying to entertain children in the dirtiest way possible, with pee-pee and doo-doo and vomit and dirty tampons.  He's like the worst birthday party clown ever.

In the casting sessions, Shane told a couple of actors that they needed to increase their energy levels by 800%.  Basically, he's telling the actors not to act.  Instead, he wants them to jump around like monkeys and make faces at the camera.  Oh, wait, that's what HE does on his YouTube videos!

Meanwhile, Ah-na continues to demonstrate that she has absolutely no leadership skills whatsoever.  She had several meetings with her team of the one lady with curly hair and the 2 bearded guys (one is her brother-in-law).  In each case, the three of them look like they're serving time in prison as they try to explain to Ah-na "how things work" on a movie.  She can't tell actors what she needs them to do.  She can't keep her schedule straight.  She can't make a decision without buy-in from everyone (or at least from her mystery husband).  She didn't know that you can't begin even an R-rated movie with a close-up of an erect dick in a condom?!?  I realize that this is her first movie to direct, but is this her first movie to watch, too?

I want to know when the big boys (Chris Moore, Zachary Quinto, and the Money Men) are going to finally step in and bail out these sinking ships.  Poor Pittsburgh!  Every week, this town just gets kicked in the groin over and over again (and they're paying for the priviledge!).

• Love 6

She can't make a decision without buy-in from everyone (or at least from her mystery husband).  She didn't know that you can't begin even an R-rated movie with a close-up of an erect dick in a condom?!?  I realize that this is her first movie to direct, but is this her first movie to watch, too?

I still can't understand why on the boner opener. WHY? I'm all for stretching a vision or shock but it just seems odd.

At some point, will Shane realize that if he can't pay people good money to even work on his movie, maybe there aren't a lot of people willing to spend their own money to WATCH his movie? .

But he knows his demographic! (/sarcasm). Such a good point. Plus, teen girls sitting at home watching YouTube videos for free is a lot different than teens going to the movies, which I would guess involves getting their parents to drive them to a theater and buying tickets, etc...

On that note, does anyone know if the movies are going to be on Starz at the end of the doc run?

Shane's youtube channel says it can be bought (pre ordered? out on 09/23) on iTunes.  And I think it is in limited release now. At least his, her's I have no idea.

Edited by midge

Not Cool (Shane's movie) predictably got a scorching review in the LA Times.

A stab — no, a frantic machete swipe — at comedy that only date-rapists, racists and sociopaths could love, the persistently ugly "Not Cool" begins with rapid-fire gags about overweight, undersexed losers; coitus with vegetables; loose bowels, rivers of puke and slut-shaming. And the film finds a way to tumble downhill from there.

Haven't watched the movie yet (I'll maybe give it a try later tonight, or during the week), but that's about what I expected from Shane, and from critics.

From that Times review:

just about everything seems derivative — tapping the “Garden State” keg especially hard — and, despite the occasional pronouncement that these trips home signify the end of childhood, the story is almost aggressively inconsequential

..."Garden State" itself was bad enough. I am going to all-caps HIZZATE this thing.

• Love 1

From the LA Times review,

When it's not built around mean-spirited, revolting jokes about anybody who isn't Dawson's color, attractiveness level, size and gender — the genitalia-exposing, feces-eating homeless black man is simply jaw-dropping 

All that bitching about not being able to find diversity and that's the role you give to a POC?

Fuck you Shane.

ETA, I'm from Pittsburgh and I'm proud that many of my people said "Uh, nope. Don't want to be involved with that mess."

Edited by xaxat

All that bitching about not being able to find diversity and that's the role you give to a POC?

I just found this show while searching my OnDemand and since I am interested in anything involving film making, I was in.  However, I couldn't help but notice the abundance of what seems like white people involved in this show.  As such, I have accepted this but it became laughable when they started "worrying" about diversity among the actors.  Thus, I will not be surprised by the roles given to the few POC in these movies.