Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: School Safety

• Start Topic

OMG are there really gun clubs at school? In this day and age? Please tell me that's not really a thing. Good grief. 

No sign of Harry this episode. Weird, considering the buildup to last week's confrontation. 

Gwen getting more and more dolled up as the episode unfolded was a little over the top but hilarious. Sometimes I have to remind myself this is a sitcom. 

• Like 1

So in my 30 rock group someone said Gwen looks like Tina fey.  

I kinda see it but the thought wouldn't cross my mind until it was brought up. 

I doubt any school has gun clubs anymore.  Just for the show. 

Definitely used too though. 

Still enjoying the show.   Really solid funny.  I moved it ahead of only murders....on my Tuesday watch order. 

• Like 1

Wait, where’s Harry??! 😳

Gwen, that very low-cut dress does nothing for you. Use the look book that Jeff has prepared for you. And he’s right, you look good in turquoise.

A creative writing assignment to get your students to reveal their dark thoughts — that’s manipulative, Evan!

I didn't like this episode. Personally, I think the series works better when the teachers have to react to student drama/issues/concerns like "Powderpuff" or "Kayla Syndrome." This episode was more focused on the adults and the students being along for the ride. I think the series works better when the students are the ones directly creating the problem/issue for the plot line. 

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I also really didn't like seeing the female teacher being grossly obsessed with how sexy and/or gorgeous she looks to the students. But I liked the teal.

Within the world of the show, watching Gwen's outfits get "sexier" as the episode progressed so she could try to improve her standing on her student's hot teacher's list was funny.  In reality, yes, a teacher trying to make herself sexy so the students would view her as hot would be sad. 

8 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

A creative writing assignment to get your students to reveal their dark thoughts — that’s manipulative, Evan!

I was wondering how Evan didn't get disciplined for pulling that stunt.  I didn't love the episode.  I thought Evan acted like a baby through most of it, and everyone ended up getting punished because Evan couldn't just let taking down the gun club go. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 1

The gun club story felt too serious without enough relief in it until the very end when Evan gets a thrill out of realizing he's a good shooter.

That's why I appreciated the hot list story.  For one, the guy who created it ended up seeming more into fashion than lusting after his teacher.  And Gwen's reaction to the list was hilarious if very inappropriate. 

• Love 1

There are lots of high school "shooting teams" out there. I certainly hope they aren't firing guns during school hours at places where students in classrooms can hear them.

Did they ever address why Evan was the only person in the school who wasn't aware that gun club was happening?

I have concerns for the long run about how long I'll be able to tolerate these characters. I like the principal and Gwen, but Evan, his ex, and the gym teacher are all pretty irritating.

• Like 2

I didn't have a problem with Gwen's actions. She wasn't trying to attract a specific student or seduce them.  She just wanted to move up the list. That was the sole purpose. There was no indication of anything physical happening.  Plus the student was manipulating her not the other way around. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

OMG are there really gun clubs at school? In this day and age? Please tell me that's not really a thing. Good grief. 

Not a gun club per se, but someone just donated a TON of money to my husband's former school to build a huge rifle range for ROTC.  Never mind that there are weekly school threats. 🤷‍♀️