Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E22: School Lunches

• Start Topic

This week: Republicans are weird, Halloween comes too early, and school lunches are a big deal, even if the finished product doesn’t look that great.

Listening to Trump and Vance is epic cringe. There’s nothing I can add to that.

”Chow Daddy” does sound like a dude who’s a cunnilingus champ. I don’t remember seeing that PSA.

• Like 3

Yeah, Chow Daddy...that was certainly...an ad :D. 

23 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Listening to Trump and Vance is epic cringe. There’s nothing I can add to that.

I truly don't know what hurt my brain more, that clip of Trump's response (and I use that term VERY loosely) to the child care question, or the fact that someone is actually trying to ask him a serious, thoughful question like that, as though he were supposed to be treated as a serious, legitimate canddiate who would actually give a serious, thoughtful answer. Why, why, why is he still out here being allowed to run as an actual presidential candidate that people have to try and take seriously? I do not GET it. 

As for Vance, how is it he becomes slimier and more gross with each new clip? Good lord, what an offensive creep. 

Regarding the main topic of school lunches, the whole thing about kids being stamped and their parents being threatened over lunch debt...that is freaking INSANE. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised, on the one hand, 'cause lord knows we've shown all too openly lately how little we apparently seem to give a shit about how kids are treated in school*, but on the other hand, good lord

But yeah, if people think that we have the money and resources to arm teachers with guns, then we sure as fuck have the money and resources to fund school lunches and school budges so kids and their parents aren't being saddled with the debt, or the debt isn't even an issue in the first place. The universal free meals thing is such a stupidly obvious and logical solution to this problem, and it absolutely needs to be adapted nationwide. Hopefully, depending on who wins in November, we can make that a reality.

I loved that one woman being all, "Your taxpayer dollars are funding my kids!" Not quite the rallying cry she seemed to think it was I guess my question is, if she really thinks it's wrong for taxpayers to be funding her kids, then surely she stepped right up and made it so that she and she alone was funding her kids' school stuff. Right

Just...are people really that stupid that they don't seem to grasp that the whole point of paying taxes is that they're going to benefit EVERYONE, not just the individual? There's absolutely a valid argument to be made about taxes going to things they shouldn't be going to...but funding public school lunches isn't one of those things. It's called a public school for a reason, people. 

*Adults: refuse to do anything to stop kids from worrying about being shot in school, stigmatize and traumatize them over school lunch debt, remove books from schools that might have some sort of educational benefit for children because "wokeness", refuse to support more funding for public schools.

Also adults: Why are kids today so sensitive and full of anxiety? 

As for the guy talking about getting hit by a school bus...I have so many questions that I'm not sure I want the answers to :p. 

And yeah, of course people are going to be putting their Halloween decorations out now. Gotta make sure they stay up just long enough before people start pulling out the Christmas stuff this month or next, after all :p (or earlier, in many cases). 

• Like 8

My neighbors never took the giant skeleton *down*. They just put a giant Santa hat on him. The rest of the decorations have emerged though. There's a ghoul army on the lawn. 

I think Vance is a strategic blunder because they're always on the back foot due to his own mouth. I just didn't think he was that bad in the donut shop though. There's not much you can really say. "go in there and just order two dozen donuts." However, you still need to act like you're reasonably enjoying yourself. That's part of the job. I just think there's way worse stuff he's said than being a stiff in the donut shop. 

I like the argument that we expect kids to have a desk, libraries, and all the other basic infrastructure in school, so why isn't meals included in that? It sure seems like kids who aren't going hungry are doing better in school. 

• Like 3
Just now, DoctorAtomic said:

My neighbors never took the giant skeleton *down*. They just put a giant Santa hat on him. The rest of the decorations have emerged though. There's a ghoul army on the lawn. 

That's fantastic XD. I like your neighbors. 

I think Vance is a strategic blunder because they're always on the back foot due to his own mouth. 

It's similar to how Sarah Palin was a large part of what doomed McCain's campaign, only...possibly even worse. 

• Like 3

I don't think Palin was as much as a detriment than she was made out to be. The GOP female vote actually went up iirc. She played the hockey mom role. I don't think that was a bad strategy to get your down the middle voters. No one was beating Obama though. McCain wanted Leiberman for VP. That wouldn't have worked either. 

Vance seems to have an endless supply of footage just saying horrifying things. I don't see how that gets those middle voters. He hasn't had a chance to play any role because he's always having to deal with that Clinton joke now, and what else will pop up next week. Even this week. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Vance should be a bigger factor than most VP candidates because of Trumps age.

That answer he gave on child care, that not him just trying to avoid answering.

It’s a sign of cognitive decline, as bad or worse than Biden’s ramblings at the June debate.

plus the people behind Vance may prod Vance and other moles to invoke the 25th Amendment on Trump.

Instead all the coverage of Vance is bout his social awkwardness and the offensive things he says.  He could be part of a Machiavellian takeover if Trump wins the election.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

We taxpayers pay to transport kids to school and back; we pay for their books; we should pay for meals.

As for the quality of the meal - it's hard to get kid to eat healthy foods, and it's hard to prepare healthy meals for a thousand kids. I volunteer for Meals On Wheels; we make 50-60 meals a day and it takes 2 people 3 hours, even when we use pre-made frozen stuff like chicken fingers.

• Like 3

I had forgotten to watch this ep until today. I was going to watch the Presidential Debate, but after a couple of minutes I had to turn that off and watch LWT instead. Good choice.

23 hours ago, Annber03 said:

But yeah, if people think that we have the money and resources to arm teachers with guns, then we sure as fuck have the money and resources to fund school lunches and school budges so kids and their parents aren't being saddled with the debt, or the debt isn't even an issue in the first place.

Good point.

Some people are too focused on self-reliance and are deeply offended that somebody somewhere is getting help from the government. (I guess that's the Libertarian attitude, huh?) It's like student loan forgiveness. "No one paid MY student debt. Why should my tax dollars pay theirs!" 

I appreciated John showing the "heartwarming" clips of kids having raised money to pay off others' lunch debts. It's like the stories about people raising money to pay their medical debts or funeral costs. It's not effing heartwarming; it's a horror that people can't afford to pay for basic needs.

22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

There's a house I drive past occasionally that always has a rusty old jeep parked on the front lawn with a skeleton behind the wheel. At Christmas he's wearing a Santa hat.

I think Vance is a strategic blunder because they're always on the back foot due to his own mouth. I just didn't think he was that bad in the donut shop though. There's not much you can really say. "go in there and just order two dozen donuts." However, you still need to act like you're reasonably enjoying yourself. That's part of the job. I just think there's way worse stuff he's said than being a stiff in the donut shop. 

Oh yes, he's said many worse things, but it sure is fun to mock how robotic he came across in that shop (and in other places). He used the wrong expression (The zoo came to town instead of the circus), didn't seem to know how to engage with strangers ("How long you worked here?... Ok. Good... How bout you?... Ok. Good."), and just seemed completely stiff and ill at ease. He's completely unappealing and unlikable. Then you contrast that with Walz in the bakery shop. He's so comfortable with people. He actually talks to them and listens and responds. You can tell he LIKES people. AND he knows how to buy donuts.

18 hours ago, aghst said:

That answer he gave on child care, that not him just trying to avoid answering.

It’s a sign of cognitive decline, as bad or worse than Biden’s ramblings at the June debate.

Trump's response to that question was typical of him. I wouldn't say that in this case he was avoiding answering the question. He just didn't know the answer. He doesn't have a policy. So he threw up his word salad, throwing in stuff about tariffs and whatnot. Dazzle 'em with bullsh*t.

He's constantly showing signs of cognitive decline, plus he's ignorant and too lazy to become knowledgeable.

11 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

As for the quality of the meal - it's hard to get kid to eat healthy foods, and it's hard to prepare healthy meals for a thousand kids. I volunteer for Meals On Wheels; we make 50-60 meals a day and it takes 2 people 3 hours, even when we use pre-made frozen stuff like chicken fingers.

I just started volunteering for Meals on Wheels. Right now I'm just doing packing of the delivery bags. We work in a conference room in a hospital next to the cafeteria. 

But as far as school lunches, I remember reading about kids throwing away good food because they just didn't like it. Things like apples, for instance. It really is a challenge to provide good, healthy food that the students will eat. 

I've seen that guy Tony Little but didn't really know who he was. I guess he was a fitness personality before all his injuries?

• Like 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

But as far as school lunches, I remember reading about kids throwing away good food because they just didn't like it. Things like apples, for instance. It really is a challenge to provide good, healthy food that the students will eat. 

Agreed. Kids are just often really picky eaters even under the best of circumstances :p. 

I remember my school lunches being a mixed bag in that regard - the food itself was fine, I didn't notice anything bad about it in general in terms of portions or things of that sort. But yeah, there were some foods I liked and was excited to have for school lunch, and others that I just...didn't. Certainly not a fault of the people making the lunches, though - I appreciated the episode highlighting the struggles and obstacles those people have to deal with, because yeah,, it's not something you think about much when you're a kid, but as an adult you really do get a new appreciation for all the effort that goes into trying to feed kids and get them to eat healthy, well-made food, whether you have any children of your own or not. 

And then in this case you add government oversight/funding into the mix and it's even tougher. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 3

I went to school in the 60's and 70's. My mom packed my lunch. However, I remember in elementary school occasionally getting a piece of cinnamon breakfast cake. (I don't know what it was called. It wasn't a bun.) The aroma was wonderful. Several years ago I tried to find the recipe for it. This was the Los Angeles School District. 

In junior high we had a break called "Nutrition." Do you know what I would buy for "Nutrition"? An ice cream sandwich.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Kids will eat anything if you let them dunk it in ranch. 

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Oh yes, he's said many worse things, but it sure is fun to mock how robotic he came across in that shop (and in other places).

This is a comedy show, so nbd. I'm just pointing out there's way more real policy positions to talk about in the public discourse. His demeanor does underscore my original point that he's always on the back foot. The VP is supposed to be all offense in the campaign, and it's not working for them. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 9/10/2024 at 7:26 PM, peeayebee said:

John Oliver was making fun of Jamie Oliver, but I watched both the UK and US versions of Jamie's School Dinners, and they did address all kinds of real problems on those shows. The core point is that you can't change the food without providing a lot of context and support OUTSIDE the lunchroom. Kids will rebel and the parents will back them up. To have even a chance of success, you have to integrate lunch into the curriculum; gradually teach kids about one or two unfamiliar foods at a time so they can see, touch, and taste; get kids involved with growing, chopping, and cooking ingredients; educate the parents too -- it requires a massive cultural shift.

In the UK, it was wild -- 300-pound parents were sneaking McDonald's to their kids while demanding to know what the problem was with the old school menu.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
On 9/11/2024 at 11:33 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

Kids will eat anything if you let them dunk it in ranch.

Boy, that's the truth. I earlier mentioned I volunteer for Meals on Wheels; a daycare uses the same kitchen as we do and they use gallons and gallons of it.

• Useful 1

In Europe, young adults and teens love fast food chains.

Does that mean they're fed up with traditional European food?

Getting a burger at McDonal's is still much more economical.  You could compare that to a panini with prosciutto and cheese, which can be good.  But a burger is cooked and warm, maybe a departure.

• Like 1

School lunches weren't (and still aren't really) a thing where I grew up.  The most we had was during the winter, there was soup on offer for anybody who signed up for it.  Only problem was that there was no choice in what flavour was on offer each day, and since I only liked one flavour soup, it wasn't much good to me.

(there was of course the free half pint of milk to each student every day, but that was about it)

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

School lunches weren't (and still aren't really) a thing where I grew up.  The most we had was during the winter, there was soup on offer for anybody who signed up for it.  Only problem was that there was no choice in what flavour was on offer each day, and since I only liked one flavour soup, it wasn't much good to me.

(there was of course the free half pint of milk to each student every day, but that was about it)

Yeah my elementary school didn't have a cafeteria.

But a couple of times a year, they'd sell hot dogs and corn nuts and the kids really looked forward to those days.

Then in the fifth grade or so, one of the math teachers had students learn fractions by having them cook some foods.  They made pizza with olives and peanut brittle or something like that, something which somehow they could do with a hot plate probably because there weren't any kitchens.

Really popular class.

My mother made baloney sandwiches, lathered with mayo.  I think at some point I went home for lunch a few times and she heated up Campbell's soup to have with the sandwiches.

She also fried up Spam, not for lunch but for dinner sometimes.

About a decade ago, when Chipotle took off, I would treat myself once in awhile and there was always a long line, had to wait 5-10 minutes to get to the stations.

Often, it was just high school kids waiting in line.  Here I was, making good money but I was pretty miserly.  Yet eating the same foods as high school kids, who also had nicer cars.

I guess John Oliver is mostly talking about kids from families lower on the socioeconomic ladder who depended on school lunches as one of their best meals of the day.

• Useful 1

They’re taking about the lower income kids who don’t want the apples because they are not getting them at home; it’s too expensive.  But once kids are given the cheaper, processed food, that’s what they want.  An apple doesn’t give them that high-carb, high-corn syrup fix.  

My kids do not get pop at home, but when they are at a party, or a friend’s house, they guzzle it.  Kids don’t make good decisions.

It’s possible to make delicious, healthy food within the budget but you have to be really creative.

1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

They’re taking about the lower income kids who don’t want the apples because they are not getting them at home; it’s too expensive.  But once kids are given the cheaper, processed food, that’s what they want.  An apple doesn’t give them that high-carb, high-corn syrup fix.  

I think it’s a lot more complex than just that. At least in the US, most school lunch periods are really short when you take into account the time it takes to get the food and get seated. Kids that only have 15-20 minutes once they are seated are not going to be focused on apples. Plus kids are going to be distracted by the social aspect and, if recess is after they eat, they are going to be impatient to play. 

Then you have individual preferences and not everyone wanting to eat on the same schedule. I probably would have been deemed part of the problem when I was a kid and we ate healthy at home. I have always avoided tomato based sauces because I have weird taste buds. Any time fruits were included in my school lunch it was dumped in the trash. I love fruit but have never liked eating it with meals. It is strictly a between meal stack for me.

Edited by Makai
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Makai said:

I have always avoided tomato based sauces because 

I always thought I was alone in that, people usually look at me like I am. I do like a good fresh tomato though.