Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

I can see why this is being called the best new show.  It's not sit commy schlock, it's smart, funny and hitting topics everyone can relate to.   

I kinda love the football coach.  His way of dealing with the mean Mom was perfection.  

• Like 3
6 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I kinda love the football coach.  His way of dealing with the mean Mom was perfection. 

I agreed with his point about fighting fire with fire.  I didn't agree with his threat to out the mom's kid. 

I'm kind of mixed on the show.  It's a pilot, so I know the show can improve.  It did feel like they were trying to jam a lot into the first episode.  I liked the relationships between the main character and his teacher friends.    

Was the ass grabbing kiss the one the kids actually saw during class? 

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I agreed with his point about fighting fire with fire.  I didn't agree with his threat to out the mom's kid. 

I'm kind of mixed on the show.  It's a pilot, so I know the show can improve.  It did feel like they were trying to jam a lot into the first episode.  I liked the relationships between the main character and his teacher friends.    

Apparently that's what they saw. 

I don't think Markie would have outed him, but I think we've learned you don't fight bullies by backing down.  The Mother was blaming Evan for her son being gay.  If it wasn't Evan, it would have been something else that made him realize who he was and that it was okay, no matter what kind of monster his Mother is. 

• Like 1

I watch this pilot with a skeptical mind. I worry it’s gonna be too woke, too whiny and busy ticking-off boxes. Thank god it isn’t. For now, at least.

Markie knows how to handle bullies and the man also has a point re their ex-student.

“He sees you being you and thinks that’s how I wanna be.”

This went under my radar for so long but part of me is so happy that I didn't hear about it a long time ago because I very much looked forward to it immediately.

I remember seeing The Fabulous Gay Life of Caleb Gallo and absolutely loving it and I think I'll like this just as much. 

From the jokes about teens becoming anti-woke to not wanting to be surreptitiously filmed, I was very much into this.  I especially liked that it's in a different kind of milieu compared to Abbott Elementary.  It gets to play on the weird culture issues in suburban schools. 

6 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Yes.  I think so.  And it's another thing I appreciate because I immediately assumed it really wasn't inappropriate and the mother was just homophobic.  But then we saw the butt grab so it ends up being both.  Evan and his boyfriend were inappropriate AND the mother is homophobic. 

• Like 3

Okay, I liked this, and I'm so glad to see Enrico Colantoni on TV, but I'm incapable of not fixing the grammar on a show called English Teacher. This is wrong, right?

"this behavior would not only BE tolerated but encouraged ..."

It should be "this behavior would BE not only tolerated but encouraged ..."

I really liked the pilot, especially Markie as the pragmatic bro-dude.  
The "Heads-up!" scene between Evan and Markie was hilarious. The words weren't all that funny, but the situation, the visuals and the deliveries made them so.

The scene when Markie was playing a video game was touching and funny.  Some may not like his method, but he meant well and prolly wouldn't have gone any farther than he did.

Book Club was mega. Varied POV that were dumb, interesting and funny.

Ep2 was also good, but I didn't care for them making Shazam a criminal. It sorta let the air of my balloon.

This show seems promising.

• Like 1

I really liked this! I didn't know what to expect, I just kept hearing promos for it on my podcasts. It was bugging me where I knew the main actor from, so when I looked it up I realized he was Estefan on the Will and Grace reboot. LOL. Talk about a completely different character.