Type keyword(s) to search

Murtagh

romantique
  • Start Topic

I can't believe Murtagh FitzGibbons Fraser doesn't already have his own thread! Duncan Lacroix has taken this book character to a whole new level with a mixture of gravitas, humor, whimsy, and just plain heart. It is so clear how much he cares for Jamie. One of my favorite scenes was between him and Claire and how Jamie needs a woman, not a lassie like Laoghaire. But even his exposition chats with Claire are great, and I liked how he tells Jamie after he promises obedience to Colum (and escaping death): "I'm getting too old for this." Awwww.

I found this sneak peek scene from 107 in the article linke below and I can't stop watching it. Such a great Jamie/Murtagh scene.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/outlander-exclusive-wedding-episode-sneak-peek-jamie-and-murtaghs-touching-chat_article_98861

• Love 6

I love Lacroix's portrayal of Murtagh. He and RM have taken a peripheral character and made his small moments of screen time into pure gems. Book Murtagh was always kind of a dirty, grumpy old man to me but this one has charm and an attractiveness all his own. He's still dirty lol but maybe they'll all clean up next week for the wedding.

• Love 5

I can't believe Murtagh FitzGibbons Fraser doesn't already have his own thread! Duncan Lacroix has taken this book character to a whole new level with a mixture of gravitas, humor, whimsy, and just plain heart. It is so clear how much he cares for Jamie. One of my favorite scenes was between him and Claire and how Jamie needs a woman, not a lassie like Laoghaire. But even his exposition chats with Claire are great, and I liked how he tells Jamie after he promises obedience to Colum (and escaping death): "I'm getting too old for this." Awwww.

My favorite Murtagh scene was during the shinty game, when he took out Rupert with that crotch shot and blithely advised him "Play fair now." That made me love him.

• Love 2

Murtagh is the ideal secondary character to give bits of exposition dialog to and Duncan Lacroix is brilliant. He is giving Jamie and Dougal a run for their money in the "interesting-and-more-than-meets-the-eye male Highlander" category. Loved these wedding preview clips.

• Love 3

My favorite Murtagh scene was during the shinty game, when he took out Rupert with that crotch shot and blithely advised him "Play fair now." That made me love him.

He took out Angus. Rupert was standing with Claire. :-)

Loved Murtagh's reveal of how he felt about Ellen MacKenzie - such warm regard for her and obviously cherished memory.

Loved that he braved the Redcoats to get the tartan for Jamie. His anger about returning it was odd. As suggested, maybe a little tryst occurred to procure it? But the upset... could have been embarrassment. Maybe the woman was just eager for him to come back for a repeat performance and he wasn't as interested. Fun to speculate.

Loved the clap on Jamie's shoulder and the smile of approval after the consummation. He seemed so genuinely happy for Jamie.

Oddly, it bothered me when Jamie included Murtagh in the list of men who said women didn't usually like sex. The way he's been portrayed in the show (such kudos to the actor), he seems like a man of deep emotion. Jamie even commented that still waters run deep. I guess I like to think that Murtagh would be more sensitive than Rupert or Angus -- he did love Ellen after all. Maybe he is "good" (continuing my theory above) and he just said that to spare Jamie in case it didn't go well for him.

Anyway, just generally adoring show-Murtagh.

• Love 2

Murtagh was all sorts of adorable in this episode. He truly is Jamie's fairy godfather in not only first rescuing Claire from BJR but helping him get this wedding just right for him with the kilt and giving him a pep talk.

I was curious to see how Murtagh looks without a beard and found this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ron-moores-outlander-enlists-game-625472?mobile_redirect=false

Be still my beating heart. Beard or no beard, he is hot. Glad to see more Murtagh and hope we continue to see more :-)

• Love 2

Oddly, it bothered me when Jamie included Murtagh in the list of men who said women didn't usually like sex. The way he's been portrayed in the show (such kudos to the actor), he seems like a man of deep emotion. Jamie even commented that still waters run deep. I guess I like to think that Murtagh would be more sensitive than Rupert or Angus -- he did love Ellen after all. Maybe he is "good" (continuing my theory above) and he just said that to spare Jamie in case it didn't go well for him.

I too see this version of Murtagh as a little more worldly and in tune with women. I wonder if he said this at a point when all the other men were offering lewd "advice" because he knew Claire was not happy about the marriage and he didn't want to set Jamie up for an experience he may not get. I really thought we might see the show version of Murtagh telling Jamie not to be too rough and hurt her, as she might not be very "receptive", so to speak.

• Love 1

Hopping on the Murtagh love train! I am absolutely loving this character. Jamie's super dreamy, Dougal is a silver fox, but there is this little part of my heart that falls in love with Murtagh a little more each episode. Duncan Lacroix (how awesome is that name?) is doing a fantastic job in this role.

I really like how he's been used. He's not just as the one person who always has Jamie's back, like in the shinty game when he racks Angus with the hockey stick (hilarious) or going out to find a Fraser plaid for the wedding. He has also set Claire straight on a number of occasions, like calling her out on teasing Jamie about Laoighre and especially when he explains the situation at the Gathering regarding Jamie taking the oath. And he calls her out on putting Jamie in that situation without being confrontational. 

Claire: This is all my fault.

Murtagh: Aye, it is.

How can you argue with that?

And really, Murtagh in the wedding episode was made of awesome. From reassuring Jamie in the stable to dragging Claire out of bed with that line about looking like a melted candle, he was terrific. And when the dress was revealed? You couldn't see his smile because of that big, ol' beard, but his eyes were positively twinkling. Such a sweetie.

Can't wait to see more of him in the back half of the season.

• Love 8

I have been thinking about Murtagh and have decided that I want an Outlander prequel featuring him.

I know this is a no book thread, so will be careful here...

Remember

he courted Jamie's mother and was one of Brian's best friends- I'd love the read that story. His swearing to look out for week old Jamie, watching Brian marry Ellen, becoming Jamie's godfather then staying with him forever?

Swoon. He is loyalty in a box.

And we know how pivotal he is in the events of A Dragonfly In Amber!!

All through the show Murtagh has kind of been the one most portrayed as attuned to women- little looks or a word here or there. He convinced the talkative Fraser plaid widow to allow him to borrow the plaids. He made the insightful comments about Laoghaire being a girl until she's 50, and his comments to Jamie about Ellen's smile. He always knows when Claire needs something translated or explained. He's the one who fished Claire out of her hangover to dress for the wedding. Hell, he's the one who found Claire to begin with and the first to stand up for her with his "I'd stake my best shot she's not a hoor."

After Jamie discloses his virginal status to Claire and she stomps back to the men and grabs the whisky bottle from Dougal, Murtagh's face is the only one who "gets" where Claire is coming from- his smirk was so perfect and understanding of her frame of mind. There are just 100 small instances of his seeing beneath the surface of things- it seems he's always standing there just out of frame watching Jamie with a proud parent look- I love him so!

It seems that for every hero there is a second fiddle standing next to him- someone who never gets credit but without whom the hero would never have survived. Like Frodo always gets all the acclaim, but without Samwise he would never have been able to complete the trip to begin with.

Murtagh is "that guy" for me in Outlander and I SO would like to see his backstory fleshed out.

• Love 7

Oh, the shinty!!

During this downtime I regularly hit "Play all" and let all eight episodes run while I am messing around in the house, and I am seeing so many things I never noticed on my 8th, 9th, and 10th watchings  :)

Just last night in the "Not rape, persuasion" scene with Dougal Murtagh displays some real difference of opinion- you can almost see him biting his tongue in disagreement.

I just hope the actor is aware of how much we appreciate his taking this rather dry character and making him real and interesting.

• Love 7